test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feywild enjoyable content or a second job?

kateslittlebugkateslittlebug Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
While I understand Fey Wild is not required content to play, the boons that make your character more powerful and up your gear score (which is one of the criteria to find decent groups for dungeons) make it almost necessary to complete the first three boons. As someone who absolutely loved this game until I hit Fey Wild, it is very disappointing. This has become a chore to the point where I have almost stopped playing. I am a casual player with real life responsibilities. Fey Wild is so repetitive (and time consuming when trying to get through on more than one character) it feels like a second job. I would like to see something else to help players receive boons that is not so repetitive and boring, which makes the game very not fun.
Post edited by kateslittlebug on

Comments

• Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The most critical component is crystal sparks. I have to admit it i've rushed to get my vibrant seeds/blades for my boons and now i only have to kill 20 or so redcaps a day to do the 10 sparks daily quest. So i suggest you take your time, you don't have to do every single daily every day, as long as you get all your sparks you're doing ok. It takes at most 2-3 minutes so i wouldn't call that repetitive. The solo dungeon is completely optional, there's nothing you really need inside and i only do it to get profession materials when i want to farm that.

If you're really bored then you can do a couple of skirmishes, pvp, a dungeon... it's not a race. If you try to rush it you'll likely get bored before you get your last boon.
  • Options
    komodoonekomodoone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 64
    edited October 2013
    It can be a job if you let it. I have learned that once I have enough Seeds, Charms, or Blades for whatever I am going for next, I stop doing those quest and only work on getting Sparks. You are always behind on Sparks anyways.

Now I just get the main quest “get three fey Cristal”, go the first area, and hunt for the easy redcaps in packs of four. It only takes five minutes per charter.
  • Options
    seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm officially tired of it, but I have everything I need except a bunch of sparks. I can either take a few weeks of doing the daily and the weekly spark missions, or if I get really lazy, just do the big one once a week and wait it out.

I enjoyed Feywild a good deal, and don't mind repeating stuff if there's an end to it, but they need to cut the required sparks in each of the final two boons by about 1/3 or 1/2, as by the time you get there you're pretty much done, at least I am. No worries, though - I look forward to the next module.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The boons, are just that a bonus. Getting them all was never meant to be easy or quick. This entire area was designed around one concept, a time sink. It is a marathon not a sprint. If you try to dash to the end at full speed, it is going to feel like a job. It will tire you out and burn you up. Just as if you tried to run full speed for an entire marathon. Its not about speed, its endurance.

Its meant to be taken slow, the missions are reasonably quick. You can do them between other things. You do a little when you have time or motivation. Not as a primary goal. You get nearly as many sparks from one single weekly mission as you do from grinding the entire week. If you do simply that, and nothing else, the worst that happens is it takes twice as long. That seems a fair trade off for reducing your need for dailies to only once a week.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As people have said the spark grinding is pretty repetitive. The fact the 4th boon is worthless trash that they charge you 20k AD for doesn't help too much. I suppose it's okay to grind for a bit and now I'm just smacking redcaps for sparks every day it's much less tedious than when I was doing the quests.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    As people have said the spark grinding is pretty repetitive. The fact the 4th boon is worthless trash that they charge you 20k AD for doesn't help too much. I suppose it's okay to grind for a bit and now I'm just smacking redcaps for sparks every day it's much less tedious than when I was doing the quests.

Yeah, I think the key to handling the final sparks is just to wander into one of the zones and kill some redcaps for a few minutes. My main beef is that when you have too many people just "sticking it out" that means it's running a little long.
  • Options
    mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    At the end I used a lot of Illifarn Fragments to make it go quicker. They are 20K per fragment on the Auction House. However, they can reduce a lot of time if used right.

I finished all of the boons. However, I wonder what the true end is. I still have a stack of 16 dark fey keys. I have not finished the Malabog Castle run. I am not sure it is even worth it.
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    End MC worth only if you wont the bracer of the feywild set ( you can get it only from the chest of CM ). For all the other cont, like the weapon you can simply farm the first 2 boss and try to get the material
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's only a job if you make it a job. I do Sharandar content when I feel like it, and do something else when I don't. You are in control of how you experience the game, or should be. Don't let the game dictate your experience of it to you.
  • Options
    jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    It is definitely not my favorite area. It is fun to run through everything a few times, but after that it just becomes so boring. I am running 5 toons through there at the same time so it really became repetitive very quickly and it was pretty much all I was doing for a while. To make it worse, I already ran through it all on the preview server before it went live so I was bored of it before it was even released. It was really beginning to burn me out.

Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel because all I need is sparks. Now I just run the last solo dungeon every day. You can complete the daily spark quest in the solo dungeons and you get a shot at the companion so it seems like the best option for me. I should have all of the sparks I need sometime this week and I can't wait to be done with it.

The one thing I wished I realized sooner is that you have about three weeks where you really only need to collect sparks. If I would have realized that sooner I would have spaced out my daily quests a bit and only ran two or three characters each day (still get sparks for everyone, just rotate days with the other quests).
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I have every class at 60 and it takes 20 minutes at most to complete the dailies on my slowest one, maybe 25 when I have to do arcane resevoir. I do them when I feel like, it's not like that 700 hp is going to make or break me...

When you view it as "I have to have all boons immediately!" then maybe it can seem like work, but YOU are the one making it that way by having that mindset.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The Sparks are the control mechanism for progress.

I do the weekly task (Arcane Reservoir) every week but the rest I do when I can be bothered. I grab the Key every day that I play simply to keep options open.

Usually I'll get the sparks I need in a single run of Celadaine. Got 4 boons on main, 2-3 on alts but not really in a hurry to get them as after the first couple the remaining boons seem a bit <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    sapientcrowsapientcrow Member Posts: 57
    edited October 2013
    It is boring as hell repetitive content.
    I was hoping when I got there I would at least have a story path to follow to learn more about the elves but instead I get 3 very easy quests a day and the instanced dungeon areas that are torture to go through after 3 or more times in them.
    The enemies are easier than enemies I fought in the Mount or Caves and the Elves have such a rich history I want to know more about them through the same style progression we experienced in other story zones.

It is the story of MMOs and that is to make work that gives the illusion that is both warranted and valuable. It is a well established time transfer system. Clock in wait in queue or run dungeon and get to the gambling table roll dice on chest. Or Clock in do quests get mostly useless currency and then buy an item. Clock in and do some other daily quests for AD. Or Clock in and sit at AH trying to figure out how to game it to gain virtual wealth. The only variance is Foundry Campaigns and they have crippled Content creators with their inability to plant nodes or give or specify rewards even though there is already a system in place when farming too many nodes and the current Cryptic made ones are very easy to do so with both chests and nodes.

I wish as someone posted in this thread I could not let the game dictate my experience but that is impossible when the game has set the parameters of the experience.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i have 5 chars and got completely fed up of it a while ago. I now do the weekly quest and don't rush to do it. I only need sparks thankfully. 5 weeks till I get my 5th boon which is better than just over 2 weeks of repetitiveness.
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Its a second job totally not even worth the waisted time to do it. Alot of people are saying they will just skip it.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2013
    I'm not gonna lie, I can't stand it. It's the very last thing I want to do when I log on. The boons range from mildly useful to actually broken, and they're a terrible boring solo grind to get. When I log into an MMO, I want to run dungeons with my friends, not solo boring, guaranteed win explorer areas. No challenge, no teamplay, repetitive grindfest. Even the dungeon revolves around grinding the mini bosses over and over to get the loot you want.

It's terrible. I can't stand any of the x-pack content. I have no desire to get the boons.

What really kills the expansion is that there's only 1 way to progress through it - doing the same missions over and over. When you're leveling toons, there are many methods to progress - PvP, Foundries, Dungeons, Skirmishes - but when you're grinding boons, the only thing that progresses the campaign is the same boring dailies over and over. If they would have thrown in a couple more group based dungeons, made Feywild foundries rewards count toward the campaign, a PvP area, and 1 more skirmish with rewards relevant to progression, this would have been a fun X-Pack with plenty to do. As it stands, it's so boring I can't bring myself to commit to it.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I made the mistake on my first 60, such as it was, of frontloading collecting the campaign trinkets and trading in a lot of bounty items for excess crescents I don't need and can't use on him until the store bug is fixed so he can buy potions. I have far more seedlings than was necessary.

I have since realized that because of the time limits on obtaining sparks (without paying for them, which I won't do), there's effectively loads of time to collect the other stuff, particularly after the final realm is unlocked. While I'm not crazy about the repetitive nature of the quests, I find it very efficient to accept a bunch of quests for a few days in a row, but only go and do them in one big power round of a realm and turn them in all at once.

My actual Sharandar "daily" consists of collecting a key and three dark fey crystals, which takes 5-10 minutes depending how long it takes the crystals to drop. And I do quests and instance runs as I'm inclined. I pick up the reservoir when it's available and make sure I get it done at some point that week.

There's not a lot of point in trying to rush, because you will hit that spark wall eventually. And with a more relaxed pace, it doesn't feel like nearly as much of a grind.

In conclusion, math is awesome.

Edit: I *really* wish drbaals would learn to spell "wasted". Gives me fits.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I find it very efficient to accept a bunch of quests for a few days in a row, but only go and do them in one big power round of a realm and turn them in all at once....

This is basically what I end up doing, though less out of number crunching and more because of RL and play schedule. I play the game with my out-of-town brother, and our schedules don't always line up. So by the time we are able to quest together, we usually have a few days worth of content to run.
    The fact that it's a social activity (we're on skype, catching up on life, while playing) makes most of the tedium that might come along with it pretty much disappear.

So maybe find a few like-minded friends and make it a pleasure instead of a pain!
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    It's only a job if you make it a job. I do Sharandar content when I feel like it, and do something else when I don't. You are in control of how you experience the game, or should be. Don't let the game dictate your experience of it to you.

This is the wisest reply I have read on these boards in a long time, and I wish I could leave knightfalz a tip.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the goal was to make it hard for content locusts to burn through easily, thus if you try to burn through its a job.
  • Options
    chromaticwyrmchromaticwyrm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well considering I have spent 30 dollars and opened about 30 boxes between zen keys and ad keys and no mount (which I desperately want) or companion I can sell or trade for the stag..I'd say second job ;( Moral of the story, lock boxes so not worth it save up and or trade zen for ad and buy on trader!
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Well considering I have spent 30 dollars and opened about 30 boxes between zen keys and ad keys and no mount (which I desperately want) or companion I can sell or trade for the stag..I'd say second job ;( Moral of the story, lock boxes so not worth it save up and or trade zen for ad and buy on trader!

I got owlbear on my 20th box =P I was so happy lol, that's all I wanted.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    bruenorebruenore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Sparks are the control mechanism for progress.

I do the weekly task (Arcane Reservoir) every week but the rest I do when I can be bothered. I grab the Key every day that I play simply to keep options open.

Usually I'll get the sparks I need in a single run of Celadaine. Got 4 boons on main, 2-3 on alts but not really in a hurry to get them as after the first couple the remaining boons seem a bit <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I do pretty much the same, do the sparks. If I have a companion to level the 3 quests in each area can be done quickly and its very good xp..(wink wink nudge nudge...)
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jarlsburg wrote: »
    Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel because all I need is sparks. Now I just run the last solo dungeon every day. You can complete the daily spark quest in the solo dungeons and you get a shot at the companion so it seems like the best option for me. I should have all of the sparks I need sometime this week and I can't wait to be done with it.

).

What companion??
  • Options
    bruenorebruenore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bruenore wrote: »

Well guess that shows how the range hates me, have done that stupid Tower 20+ times and never gotten a dog:)
  • Options
    filcfilc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    you can buy sparks on AH if you are tired :)
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    it may feel like a job, guess i had the feeling too in the bginning.
    but when you`re done opening the other zones, just collect the needed quest rewards.
    which aren`t that many for the boons.
    only the sparks.
    but that quest each day doesn`t take long, kill a few mobs. maybe like 2 groups and you re done and can go do other things.
    reservoir doesn`t take long also, just inv someone else if possible.
  • Options
    mlegermleger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I find it enjoyable. No complaints here.
    Thorin Oakenshield - 60 DC | Floki Longarm - 60 TR | Tiny Tank - 60 GWF
    Stand your Ground NW-DNBHK74ML
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I dislike daily quest grinds in general, but compared to other games these aren't bad. The quests are pretty short and I never tire of being cut both slow and fast by squeaky midgets.
This discussion has been closed.