test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lockboxes - Do you open them all?

leematonleematon Member Posts: 36
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've recently purchased more ZEN because the last time I played (several weeks ago) I had spent a lot on enchanted keys to open a stash of lockboxes I'd accumulated.

No sooner had I purchased more enchanted keys with my ZEN that more lockboxes were being dropped thick and fast.

One question I would like to ask you guys is do you open all of your lockboxes? After all, this game is essentially a FTP with a 'pay as you go' option for those who want cosmetic benefits. Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but with the cost as much as it is to purchase enchanted keys, this game can quickly become very expensive if you opened every single lockbox dropped by the game. Using AD isn't much of an alternative either, as AD to ZEN conversion rates are pretty poor.
Post edited by leematon on

Comments

• Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No, of course that. That would just be insane.
  • Options
    hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    After a big effort to craft a purple chest with rare leadership level 20 task, I got 7 healing potions. It is a scam by cryptic, lol... so I became suspicious against the phrase... "contain one of these object", so until now (i play from ending of april) i never opened a lockbox.
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    so you got 7 healing potions from a task that cost 0 to you, and they scammed you? sorry to hear that, i would ask a reimburse from your money in that leadership task.

No, nobody opens their lockboxes, because right now, they drop at stupid high rate and the prizes are really not good, still, im a ludopath so i open tons and tons of them (about 100 in last 2 weeks for example) but i do it with ingame earned money.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    so you got 7 healing potions from a task that cost 0 to you, and they scammed you? sorry to hear that, i would ask a reimburse from your money in that leadership task.

No, nobody opens their lockboxes, because right now, they drop at stupid high rate and the prizes are really not good, still, im a ludopath so i open tons and tons of them (about 100 in last 2 weeks for example) but i do it with ingame earned money.

By 'ingame earned money' I take it you mean earned AD converted to ZEN? As far as I know, enchanted keys cannot be purchased with gold.
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    frarii wrote: »

Nothing costs 0 in this game.

Especially not the purple chests. They cost a lot of the most valuable asset in this game: Time. 18 hours a piece. Plus you need rare resources that 99% of the time will sell for far more then then what youd get back.

As such they are simply nto worth opening.

Better off focusing on making a lot more blue chests (which have a chance to open as purples).

Plus the purpose plain and simple can't drop "better" loot then the blues. It's exactly the same stuff, just slightly more of it, if your lucky.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, ive bought probably close to 500 keys with AD, in fact, ive just opened a fire pony, i will bank it for a year.
  • Options
    hwlrmnkyhwlrmnky Member Posts: 90
    edited September 2013
    I sell them to the vendors. 8p/per adds up when they drop constantly! I opened several when I first started playing and they gave my game a nice jump start but I find that now I know what I want and where my interests lie it's cheaper to buy exactly what I want from the auction house.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The drop rate is absurdly high right now. But the honest truth is, its just meaningless. The boxes have always been available for next to nothing if you just know where to look.

They want you to have easy access to boxes, and drops arnt just the only means of getting one. There should be no reason AT ALL to feel compelled to open every box that drops as loot. Where there is practically a "pull here for box" dispenser already in place.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I opened 200+ boxes, but that was only to get enough trade bars to buy the twilight nightmare - I really wanted that mount. Other than that...meh.... I haven't opened a single one of the Feywild boxes.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'll buy a ten pack of keys with AD once a month that is my limit and after I get what I want out of the LB I stop buying keys, so far I I have what I want out of both LB's
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The game can be as expensive as you make it? I have open 5 Lockboxes since I started splaying in closed beta. I would rater buy the items from the AH then gamble for them.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    In my many years here lurking around various Cryptic games. I can proudly say i've never opened a single one, EVER. To date, I have no characters, at all, with any trade bars, drifter salvage, or lobi crystals. Ive even gone so far as to refuse to buy the big items that come out of the boxes. I do not, and will not, own a Nightmare mount or a Stag. To me, that is still supporting the boxes, even if indirectly.

Offer me a product, and if its good, and i'm interested, and the price is right, I will happily purchase it. But offer me a chance at something, and I will never take the bait. Sadly, I seem to be in the minority, the keys are big sellers. My little personal lockbox protest means next to nothing. I know nothing is going to change, this is how its going to continue to be. But a statement is still a statement even if it is unheard or ignored. :D
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    In my many years here lurking around various Cryptic games. I can proudly say i've never opened a single one, EVER. To date, I have no characters, at all, with any trade bars, drifter salvage, or lobi crystals. Ive even gone so far as to refuse to buy the big items that come out of the boxes. I do not, and will not, own a Nightmare mount or a Stag. To me, that is still supporting the boxes, even if indirectly.

Offer me a product, and if its good, and i'm interested, and the price is right, I will happily purchase it. But offer me a chance at something, and I will never take the bait. Sadly, I seem to be in the minority, the keys are big sellers. My little personal lockbox protest means next to nothing. I know nothing is going to change, this is how its going to continue to be. But a statement is still a statement even if it is unheard or ignored. :D

100% agreed with this post. I've never opened one and I never will.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    nwntalonnwntalon Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I still believe that the lockboxes were inserted in the game to mess with gambling addicts. That is the only reason to open one.
    Kildrak Gemviper - 60 GF
    Void Reaper - 60 CW
    Eliza Trickfoot - 60 TR
    Scarlet Maiden - 60 DC
    Timmy Orc-Bane - 60 GWF
    Ranger Jo - 20 HR
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think I have opened a total of about 10 with only AD, just to see the details and ratios of what was inside them and, if they could be used as a source of income. The old Nightmare ones seem to have been profitable, but not the Feywild ones. Besides, there are much better sources of income both pre-Feywild and post-Feywild. So, I never open them any more, just put them in my guild banks as they stack easily and since it is possible they could change at a later date or someone else wants them.

However, unlike some others in this thread, I do not begrudge people for wanting a little bit of chance or drama or directly supporting the game developer with this method. Keys are not even offered as rewards anywhere in the game, not even during events! That is far less "in-your-face" than in other MMOs.

It's a game, not Life or Death. Play how you enjoy!
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't open any scam boxes and when every other mob start dropping boxes, I dodge them like the plague.:)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    When I started I wanted the Twilight mare so I opened about 300 or 400 boxes in the first 3-4 months. I haven't wanted a single thing out of the Feywild boxes though so I think I may have opened about 10 of them just to use up my remaining keys (hoping to get something to sell which I did not :( ). I wouldn't dream of opening every box we have hundreds soon to be thousands of the things piling up in our guild bank (feywild boxes that is we only have about 500 of the originals left)
  • Options
    neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2013
    I don't open them. I collect a bunch from whatever zone I'm in and put them on the AH at a pittance (1 AD per box).
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I opened a few back when the Inferno mount was still rare, and I got it on one my characters I don't play much. Fortunately I only had to open less than 20 boxes in total. Since then, I throw them away most of the time. All they do is take up space in my precious inventory. Even with my third bag, it's still filling up too fast as it is.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Read what Neverwinter's producer has to say about Lockboxes

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/25/neverwinters-velasquez-on-lockboxes-foundry-and-module-2

Bottom line: They try to put enough value in them that players can feel good about opening them, or about not opening them.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Dad saves up and gets us a couple keys each every now and then. Never gotten anything worthwhile. No companions, no helpers, no good rares, no mounts..just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The new ones are worse. We have opened maybe 30 since beginning. Sure not seeing many stags around..drop rate proper?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    However, unlike some others in this thread, I do not begrudge people for wanting a little bit of chance or drama or directly supporting the game developer with this method. Keys are not even offered as rewards anywhere in the game, not even during events! That is far less "in-your-face" than in other MMOs.

It's a game, not Life or Death. Play how you enjoy!

Personally I feel it would be better if keys WERE occasionally dropped in-game as rewards. It would burn a smaller hole in the pockets of curious players if nothing else.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    No, of course that. That would just be insane.

This. I can't imagine being obsessive enough to open all the boxes that drop.

Sure, I've opened a few (and also in Star Trek), but that's mostly been with zen earned in-game via the exchange. (And a lot less boxes in Neverwinter - they just don't have that much interesting in them.)

I'm perfectly happy to ignore the boxes that drop, periodically mailing them all to one character who saves a stack in their bank. Just in case of future desire (and/or future selling on the auction).
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    when I do use keys, I use them to open the multitude of nightmare boxes I still have. I have opened about 10 of the new boxes, but was much more disappointed than the disappointment i often feel with the nightmare boxes. I think the reward ratio is too low but i get that it is a risk, and at least you get bars (which i used to buy my pig)

The drop rate on the boxes is obnoxious. I often will find 2 in one encounter. I think they should make it so that a key does drop once in a blue moon as a rare find and this might inspire people to buy a few.

I assume mod 2 will have a new type of box and i hope it will offer something better that the fey boxes. Unless you are going for a stag or the spider companion, i see no reason to open the new boxes.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I haven't opened any of them, I have around 140 lockboxes, still haven't decided what to do with them. I sure as hell ain't buying any keys, that's for sure.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I just ditch them to vendors for gold. Thought about selling them on AH, but at their current drop rate the market is saturated with them.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am hanging on to the Fey boxes because I want to see how many hundreds of them I will accumulate before they get switched out for something else. It's quite the impressive collection, though the count is slightly padded because a friend keeps foisting his off on me as well. I'll liquidate after they stop dropping.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No way to open them all. Even before the patch that screwed up the drop rate, it would have taken hundreds of bucks worth of keys. NOW, since the goofy patch, every 3rd mob drops a box -- I probably have 500 of the stupid new boxes. Worse, the new boxes do not have anything I want, so when I do buy keys I prefer to open nightmare boxes. The new enchants are lackluster and the leadership pack is >>>>>>> the junk pack.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Opened 50 f.b and over 200 N.b gained 0 mount 1 epic bird. and some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh heck no. I opened four or five Feywild and that's it. I still have all of my Nightmare lockboxes, minus one that I sold on the AH to test waters (it worked out awesome.)

What I find amusing is that in the 3 months or so that I played NW prior to fey wild, I scored probably about 100 or so Nightmare lockboxes. A month of Feywild? Near 300. Hope they eventually start selling well on the AH, maybe a few months to a year from now =P.
    contents to be decided