test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we have a subforum for Foundry questions/problems/tips?

thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in The Foundry
As much as I like to browse the Foundry forum for interesting new quests, it has become quite a chore to keep track of all the interesting posts about Foundry editing itself, especially when you can't log in every day.

Would it really be so complicated/hard/expensive to have a seperate Foundry forum with no quest advertising?
In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
Post edited by thestoryteller01 on

Comments

• Options
    dragonzbane777dragonzbane777 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    +1 agreed.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As much as I like to browse the Foundry forum for interesting new quests, it has become quite a chore to keep track of all the interesting posts about Foundry editing itself, especially when you can't log in every day.

Would it really be so complicated/hard/expensive to have a seperate Foundry forum with no quest advertising?

We've been asking for that for a long, long, long time.

We do have a separate Foundry forum where all the quest advertising/requests/reviews are supposed to be posted: Foundry Spotlight

For some reason though, the moderators don't move them out of this thread and into the spotlight thread.
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited September 2013
    So here's the rub. All the quest info threads were ment to go into the Foundry Spotlight sub-thread but everyone wanted to make sure there stuff got seen so they posted it all in the main thread. What do you think is going to be different in a tools discussion sub thread. Everyone is going to be wanting to be seen so they will just post in the main thread.

Personally I would love to have a thread for quests, and thread for review trades, and a thread for tool discussion, with no main thread for posting at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    celantra wrote: »
    What do you think is going to be different in a tools discussion sub thread. Everyone is going to be wanting to be seen so they will just post in the main thread.
    I would certainly post toolset questions in a tools discussion subforum because there my thread won't be buried under review requests within 24 hours ;)
  • Options
    dragonzbane777dragonzbane777 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Same here, I am just starting to use this forum and it would be much better for a place for builder tips/tuts/questions. I just had something I was trying to figure out answered and done quick!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's not only having one's own thread on the first page much longer, it'd be also much easier to simply browse the threads for tips and tricks you didn't know about yet...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The problem is that some people would post quest reviews and requests in any thread.
    Which is why forums like this have moderators. Unfortunately the forum moderators are undoubtedly too busy on the rest of the forum to deal with the minority of players in the foundry areas. We probably need a dedicated Foundry forum moderator.
  • Options
    cushparlcushparl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just to let you know: At the German Foundry Forum we got all kinds of subforums and it works pretty well (from what I can tell). There is not much beeing posted on the main page at all (it is probably the least used section). But our community is much smaller, of course.
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Our main moderator here is Zebular, the author of The Dweomerkeepers campaign, who's feedback thread is in this forum section, not the "Spotlight" section.

I can remember when the "Spotlight" forum was added. It hasn't always been here, so some of us were just already accustomed to using this general section.

For me, the sticky for the "Spotlight" forum is a bit intimidating, and worded as though quests posted there are to be brilliant, polished, as well as suitable and eligible for being featured quests. I never thought of my quest as being worthy, and definitely never considered it a place to post brand new quests.

As a reviewer, i have never looked in that section for new quests to review. I clicked over there one day, and was just heartbroken and in awe at how many quest threads were sitting there with 0 replies. I'm not the only reviewer that passed over that section to look for new quests in this general forum.

All of this has been discussed before, people have said they didn't understand the purpose of the "Spotlight" section, and the information on the sticky has never been reworded or clarified. I don't have any fancy screenshots, let alone a place to "link to high-res versions", and have never considered either of my quests as featured material or submitted them for such.

Having said that, if other authors will do it too, i'll go ahead and message Zebular to move my thread to that other section. Maybe if we all go together, it won't be as scary? I still won't have the fancy screenshots and all of that, but if that's where my thread is supposed to go, i'll ask for it to be moved.

Update: I asked. *grits teeth and expresses a fake grin* Wish i hadn't, would much rather just have my thread in the general forum.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    *an open tome with a quill writing away is briefly spotted before floating off down another hall*
  • Options
    mlegermleger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    honestly i'm confused by the spotlight section, i thought it was to submit your quest to be reviewed for the weekly foundry spotlight.
    Thorin Oakenshield - 60 DC | Floki Longarm - 60 TR | Tiny Tank - 60 GWF
    Stand your Ground NW-DNBHK74ML
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    mleger wrote: »
    honestly i'm confused by the spotlight section, i thought it was to submit your quest to be reviewed for the weekly foundry spotlight.
    . . . . . . Indeed. Foundry threads made there have a chance to be pulled for review to be Spotlight for a week. If you don't want them spotlit, then post in this forum instead. A separate forum just for Foundry Feedback Threads would be nice.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . . Indeed. Foundry threads made there have a chance to be pulled for review to be Spotlight for a week. If you don't want them spotlit, then post in this forum instead. A separate forum just for Foundry Feedback Threads would be nice.

Okay, i'm sorry, i seriously regret having my thread moved. Please please please move it back Zeb, pleeeeease.
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited September 2013
    Wait, that was not my understanding of the foundry spotlight thread at all. In order to be spotlighted or featured you have to submit to cryptic in the editor. That was my understanding. I would like to hear if that is otherwise, because I have specifically not submitted to cryptic those quests that I want to retain ownership of until I consider them finished.

If I remember, that section came about in response to community asking for a separate thread to post foundry quest information and requests for plays. Now if Cryptic had another plans for that thread other then providing a place for us to post quest information for general consumption, this is the first I have heard of it. The description of the section makes no mention of the spotlighted quests, but simply states it is a subform to share your quests with others.

I think that this is a case of word association and not necessarily intent. The word spotlight in the sub-forum name does not necessarily connect with the Spotlighted Quests selected by Cryptic.

Zeb can you verify this please
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by mleger viewpost-right.png

Your response ....

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Wait, that was not my understanding of the foundry spotlight thread at all. In order to be spotlighted or featured you have to submit to cryptic in the editor. That was my understanding. I would like to hear if that is otherwise, because I have specifically not submitted to cryptic those quests that I want to retain ownership of until I consider them finished.

If I remember, that section came about in response to community asking for a separate thread to post foundry quest information and requests for plays. Now if Cryptic had another plans for that thread other then providing a place for us to post quest information for general consumption, this is the first I have heard of it. The description of the section makes no mention of the spotlighted quests, but simply states it is a subform to share your quests with others.

I think that this is a case of word association and not necessarily intent. The word spotlight in the sub-forum name does not necessarily connect with the Spotlighted Quests selected by Cryptic.

Zeb can you verify this please
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by mleger viewpost-right.png

Your response ....

Well met!

. . . . . . In the sticky, Foundry Spotlight Forrum Guidelines, it says: "Welcome to the Foundry Spotlight forums! These forums are a place for you to share all of your amazing quests (and hard work) with your fellow players and authors, receive feedback about your dungeons and campaigns, and even get a chance to have your work be featured in the Foundry Spotlight!"

. . . . . . This very last part of the sentence in yellow is the bit that mentions the chance on being Spotlight. That is why there is a guideline example to post your threads. In any case, please rest assured that we're discussing the structure and use of the Foundry forums, as I type this even. :)

. . . . . . If you, or anyone else, needs a thread moved - just PM me or any moderator. We'll be happy to. Let me know if you have any more questions, feel free to ask here.

zbkolde wrote: »
    Okay, i'm sorry, i seriously regret having my thread moved. Please please please move it back Zeb, pleeeeease.
    All taken care of! :D
    Don't worry at all, that's what I'm here for. No harm done, at all. Indeed!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Kewl! I may have to move around my posts lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    . . . . . Please keep discussing how you guys and gals would like the forum structure set up here for the Foundry Community. We've got our scrying orbs and mirrors on this thread. ;)
  • Options
    kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Umm... just spit-balling here, these are the common things I see in threads:

-Looking for feedback/review trade
    -Functionality questions (looking for how to make something work)
    -Bug reports (reporting when something doesn't work)
    -Tool requests (requesting that something works different, or that something be added)

I could see benefit of having a sub-forum for each of those.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    kithlis wrote: »
    Umm... just spit-balling here, these are the common things I see in threads:

-Functionality questions (looking for how to make something work)
    -Tool requests (requesting that something works different, or that something be added)

I could see benefit of having a sub-forum for each of those.

All of the above and just a place for quest descriptions with no spotlight or other connotations. I want a place where I can list my quests or campaigns and get feedback and such that is longer then the 100 chars allowed ingame. This also gives me a place to link to my quests in signatures and such for promotional purposes. With the current feature copy and lock policy, it makes me very shy about what I put up for consideration for these designations.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    All of the above and just a place for quest descriptions with no spotlight or other connotations. I want a place where I can list my quests or campaigns and get feedback and such that is longer then the 100 chars allowed ingame. This also gives me a place to link to my quests in signatures and such for promotional purposes. With the current feature copy and lock policy, it makes me very shy about what I put up for consideration for these designations.

Same. I don't mind if my thread gets buried under new quests or review trades, i just want a place for it for links and reference.
  • Options
    kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I guess I wonder a little at the Spotlight too - originally I thought it was for those that wanted to be featured, but then I noticed the in-game "submit to Cryptic" in the Foundry, and figured that was the official method.
    Does there need to be a forum-centric duplication of that process? Should it be made clearer that the button in the Foundry is available for that purpose?

I feel like if we have a Spotlight (for Feature consideration) and a general Quest Listing sub-forum, that it will be double work for some, and confusing to others.
    Can the Spotlight forum be for general posting (maybe renamed), but have a more active "opt-in" method for marking the threads for Feature consideration (a Flag or CM PM?) rather than an "opt-out" method that leaves some authors without options for posting quest threads?

Useful Sub-Forum topics:
    -Functionality questions (looking for how to make something work -questions/problems/tips)
    -Quest Listings (for those who want a thread, but don't necessarily want it featured)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    After reading through several pages of the Fpundry forums and sticky threads I come to the conclusion that the Foundry forums problem is the definition for use of the General forum. It's nobodys fault, it just happens sometimes that a forum has only two equally important general themes, in this case Foundry editing and Foundry quest publishing, which then mix up in the main forum and make it hard to keep track of things.

Imho the General forum should be dedicated to the general discussion about the Foundry only: praise, criticism, ideas, content wishes, bug reports, downtime rant/updates etc. ....plus several stickies (mostly like the ones we allready have) for collection the aforementioned, known bugs etc.

In addition there should be a subforum where builders can discuss technical Foundry stuff: Q&A, how to do things, tips & tricks, storytelling advice etc ....plus stickies for collecting tutorials/tips & tricks etc.

And last but not least a subforum for advertising published Foundry quests plus stickies for review trades, spotlight, quests sorted by... etc.

In addition to the advantages for us builders/players, a general forum thats only here to discuss general Foundry stuff will make it also easier for the mods/devs to check out whats going on in the community.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    • Foundry General
      • Foundry Quest Announcements (non-spotlight)
      • Foundry Bugs/Requests/Suggestions
      • Foundry Beta Quest Review Requests
      • Foundry Technical
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    So i have this business plan, going to the bank tomorrow for the financing. I'm going to offer combine repair! All sorts of combine repair, from cab features such as radio and a/c, to the engines, the headers, body and wheels... everything! Anything the customer needs fixed, i'll be there, with my expert mechanics, ready to fix any issue my customers have. Now, let's see... where to base my new combine repair business... well i hear New York City is the highest-populated city in the country, perfect! I need to reach as many customers as possible, so i'm going to put my combine repair business right there on Park Avenue, because that's where the most people possible are going to see it!

Which brings me to my point... sometimes you need to go where your customers are, not where the most people are. Having said that, we need a bug reports sub forum for the foundry. This is where we are, this is where we look, this is where we talk about things, and this is where our topics won't get drowned out by other game issues.

So, to remind and reiterate, we need a bug forum, and a sort of library forum to store our quest threads, and the other sub categories that people have listed here. Just kinda wanted to refresh this thread.
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'd love this. Like others, been asking for it for ages.

If the main page is where people are gonna post their quests for review, then let's make the 'help' section a subforum. I know that I, for one, wouldn't mind going there to see if I could help with any issues people are having.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree, I would love to have a "technical questions and help" subforums, since most people (myself included) post their foundry quest up for review in the main forum.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    voidgiftvoidgift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    • Foundry General
      • Foundry Quest Announcements (non-spotlight)
      • Foundry Bugs/Requests/Suggestions
      • Foundry Beta Quest Review Requests
      • Foundry Technical

I second that.
    Hear! Hear!
    With dreams to be a king, first one should be a man.

Rise to POWER with <House of Power>.

The Exterminator - (NW-DLNXF3BGG)
  • Options
    phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly, I posted mine on this thread, because until maybe a couple of days ago, I didn't even notice the Foundry Spotlight thread. I also agree with zbkolde, no one looks on that thread at the quests, they all defer to this thread. I think at this point, switching everything over may cause some destablization on the review swaps since everyone looks to this thread, and many who post their foundry on the Spotlight thread do so, and never look back.

I like it on this thread, because most people who are on this thread pick up on editing posts as quickly and efficiently as they do with the Foundry Quest publication posts since the active foundry members check this particular thread quite frequently. I even have the thread up while playing.

I am not a veteran on this post like some of you guys, since I really just started scripting foundries, but personally, I think it is easier to watch one thread, despite the variety of posts, than having to monitor two, even if they are for separate purposes.

I think that they could at the very least create an icon next to the post so that Foundry Titles use a different icon, or different color on the existing icon to differentiate between Foundry Titles and editing threads.
  • Options
    waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey, new to posting in the forums but been playing NW since beta and am a foundry author. Played hundreds of foundry quests. I've also been administrator, designer, and moderator for several forums at different MMO's.

I'm adding my vote to ask for dividing the Foundry section to different sub categories.

Even if a lot of people are now using the one main thread to review/post/trade foundry quests, as a Foundry author I personally do not like having to search through hundreds of trade posts to find any how-to's/tips/bugs about lighting effects and how to make my end boss look l337. Or why this or that effect doesn't work.

It's a numbers problem. The search engine for the forums, I feel, does not search effectively enough to have all Foundry issues in one massive section. It's too generalized, not enough ways to narrow your options. When you search, even with multiple key words, you get hundreds of hits that are 99.9% irrelevant to your problem because the terms you're looking for are in someone else's post about advertising for their quest. And your problem goes unanswered because of the sheer volume of posts you have to slog through to find something even resembling your issue. If you're lucky.

Then you end up like me, with mediocre quests published primarily for trial and error to learn and practice the basics. I still don't know how to use depthfade or what it's for. Or what ambush AI is. And I learned how to do the dialogue trees appropriately, finally, but only after publishing my quest, after I spent hours writing the dialogue, then rewriting it when it deleted (due to how the foundry mechanic is set up). I got fed up with trying to find that information, and figured out a lot on my own.

My point is that I didn't even try to author until I'd been playing for about four months, and with the tens of thousands of quests published in that time, was surprised and put off at how much information for authoring is buried. I thought it'd be way more organized by then.

After hours of slogging through this one section to try to find answers to my many and varied questions on authoring, I've settled for publishing mediocre, subpar quests just so I can learn as I go, building off what I learned from the last one. For a game option as dynamic, robust, and FREE as the Foundry, finding information should not be so difficult.

I almost didn't try authoring because of how difficult info is to find. I wonder how many more people are missing out on authoring for the same reason.

Sometimes the Foundry chat channel doesn't have someone knowledgeable enough to answer the questions I may have. And the Wiki truly does not have enough information. Other than hours of trial and error, where would you go to learn more about how to use the Foundry? Where do you go to learn how to build or gets answers to questions about your NW character or how-to's for NW quests? The forum. THOSE sections have sub-categories. Why not the foundry one?

Easier to moderate, easier to manage posting guidelines, and you can find information easier with the style of search engine currently available. Additionally, the first page of posts won't be a constant, messy battle between people bumping posts for reviews about their quests or their friends' quests versus bumping posts about foundry bugs/issues/questions. You'll know what you're reading when you click on the post.

I'd love to post Foundry how-to's and all the tricks I've learned or figured out. But with the way this section is now, it'd just get lost with all the rest.

Will people still post in the wrong categories? Sure. But moderators moderate for a reason, and they can move it.

Let's get organized.

Please, separate the foundry section into subcategories for the builders and the advertising/trading as others have laid out in earlier posts.

Done ranting and rambling. Sorry for the TL;DR feel.
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    *jots down a mental note to nudge Som and Pin again regarding a general foundry feedback section*

Zeb and I agree that it would be nice to have a bit more structure in these forums.
    We asked a couple of weeks ago but things became a little hectic. We'll nudge 'em again but no promises. :)