test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gateway broken, cant "change character" anymore, get timeout

zaodanzaodan Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Seems the patch broke the Gateway, you can no longer use "Change Character", it hangs/times out, and you have to log out and log back into gateway again.
Post edited by zaodan on

Comments

• Options
    chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    same problem here
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Same problem here (this should be in the Bug Reports forum too, FYI).

You don't actually have to logout/login to fix it though, just hit CTRL+SHFT+R to reload the page and it will load correctly. Shouldn't have to do that though (didn't have to do it yesterday, that's for sure!)
  • Options
    sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Same here.

Makes you wonder if they actually test these patches before deploying them to the live environment!
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    F5 refresh will also goose it into not timing you out.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Confirmed; this does appear to work.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I have the same problem. Thanks for the tip!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yea its broke. Fix pls.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Congrats cryptic.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited September 2013
    We're taking a look at it now.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    We're taking a look at it now.

Thank you.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    aquillazxaquillazx Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2013
    Works fine for me.
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited September 2013
    Hey all. Unfortunately, the team will not be able to fix this issue until possibly next week. But, here are some workarounds in the meantime:
    • Logging out then back in to change characters.
    • <Unconfirmed tip from amvek>
      amvek wrote: »
      When I change character if I hit refresh rather than let it timeout it will go to the new character without being disconnected. Do not know if this will work if it has been sitting for a while.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hey all. Unfortunately, the team will not be able to fix this issue until possibly next week. But, here are some workarounds in the meantime:

Actually, this 3rd item does not work either. This is how I've been navigating between all my characters for months; I have a set of bookmarks to each of their professions page, since that's what I use most on the Gateway. When using the links now it hangs on the character change event. If you wait a couple seconds and then hit F5 it reloads the page normally and doesn't require a login.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    Actually, this 3rd item does not work either. This is how I've been navigating between all my characters for months; I have a set of bookmarks to each of their professions page, since that's what I use most on the Gateway. When using the links now it hangs on the character change event. If you wait a couple seconds and then hit F5 it reloads the page normally and doesn't require a login.

I've removed it. Thanks for letting us know!
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I can confirm that switching character then immediately pressing F5 works.

Cheers for the tip. Now its a just a small niggle rather than an annoyance :)
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    meetspinmeetspin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Wow, no fix for a week? That's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> unacceptable for a bug in a web program. You people are ridiculous.
  • Options
    carletto75carletto75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    same problem here
  • Options
    psylockeutpsylockeut Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree that it is fustrating and nice to hear there is a possible work around if you are fast enough.
    At the same time it is nice that they are not taking the whole site down until it is fixed.

For that I am willing to just grumble instead of using more colorful words.
    PWE/Cryptic, thanks for admitting it is a bug and you are looking into it.
  • Options
    chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    F5 is okay, but it's a annoying if you use this outside your pc. like Ipad or other mobile device.

I also have several characters and need to switch back and forth while playing. because of trying to check some stuff.
    sometimes I check which character have the resource I need for my other characters. so I could load to that character and send mail.

but Im glad that the bug team is taking a look at this.
    so thank you
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    When I log in, I still get the 'Beta' graphic as well. That might be some indication as to what happened. I used to have this issue months ago, and it is back so my guess is some older files were used *coughSourcecontrolmanagementcough*

Since I primarily use this on a mobile device, the F5 does not help. Also, i find that often i cannot get past the first page of options available, for example, I am limited to making +1 weapons on my weaponsmith account because i cannot page through to the +2 weapons, even though i have all the reqs.

To me, a week to fix this seems pretty unreasonable. I would likely lose my job if I told my boss the same thing. At the very least you should be able to roll back to the working version we had 2 days ago....but with all the bugs this last patch introduced though out the game, i would assume it is a resource constraint (anyone else notice the GF attack sequence and other powers in Shadar are now silent?)
    I try to be as optimistic as possible, but it seems like you all need a source control manager and some testing. This should never hit prod, even on a 'free' product.
  • Options
    cartivacartiva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have been successful hitting the "refresh button" right after hitting the "change character" and before you get the time out error. My browser is google chrome. The method was originally posted by amvek.
    Keira Taletreader 60 GF 13.9 GS
    Erdan Loreweaver 60 CW 11.3 GS
    Mika Hawklight 60 DC 11.5 GS
    Rukia Stealthfoot 60 TR 11.5 GS
    Ka D'Argo 60 HR 13.7 GS
    Ivan Ironfist 60 GWF 11.6 GS
  • Options
    sapientcrowsapientcrow Member Posts: 57
    edited September 2013
    Refresh does work. I am happy they have the Gateway option in Neverwinter.

Now they need to work on how much information is sent and populated. I would suggest a compact minimal mode with less graphics and a more streamlined connection to sync the data.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    One additional observation about the F5 trick (using FireFox): if you leave the browser on one character/screen for long enough (~10 minutes?) it will kick you back to the login screen even when doing F5
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    One additional observation about the F5 trick (using FireFox): if you leave the browser on one character/screen for long enough (~10 minutes?) it will kick you back to the login screen even when doing F5

Yup. You can prod at that one character again all you like, but you'll get logged out the next time you switch, even refreshing.

Another observation is the timing out happens consistently when switching characters from their profession screen, but I can often (not always) switch between their inventories successfully without refreshing.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Further, I'm still getting serious delay at times to either collect a completed task or start a new one. Sometimes the action I'm trying to take will go ahead after a moment and sometimes it won't. It's a bit of a gamble to wait and see if it completes or try hitting the button again and possibly generate an error message (just the floating red "failed") if the action was completed but delayed as opposed to incomplete.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I believe you are correct, it seems to be tied to at least the profession tab. For example:
    • Select any character -> automatically goes to the "Welcome to Neverwinter Gateway" splash screen
    • Choose change character
    • Select any character -> automatically goes to the "Welcome to Neverwinter Gateway" splash screen

The above appears to be infinitely repeatable as long as you never touch any other tab.
    • Choose profession tab
    • Return to splash screen
    • Choose change character
    • Select any character other than the current one -> Gateway hangs

This one is also repeatable.

As far as f5/refresh goes, that workaround only works intermittently for me. It seems to depend on whether or not the gateway had reached the point at which it was ready to switch to the other character. If it was, then the refresh will take me to that character. If it wasn't, then it will take me back to the log in screen.

And yes, the lag and hangs that the gateway suffered from before are in fact not fixed or even improved, nor is the "beta". So apparently all they did is break it.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    ptwilightptwilight Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    F5 is okay, but it's a annoying if you use this outside your pc. like Ipad or other mobile device.

yes ... some devices don't have a F5 key, in particular ones that rely on a touch screen interface - iPhone, iPad, android tablets and phones, etc