test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we finish? - the joy of pugs

2»

Comments

• yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think OP refers to pugs as queue based. My response was based off that. LFG pugs are completely diff, like poster above said. I rarely see any LFG T1 groups.

Bingo! i do not consider a group that was formed via chat a pug, because there was a level of discernment involved in the creation. I consider a pug to be the que generated group.

Perhaps that is my main mistake and I should try to form my own groups than count on the Que system.
    Lots of valuable feedback here. I think many folks followed the advice to save gems to 60 then buy all the gear, but still do not get cooperative play. Language is always a huge barrier. Yeah, the 6800 quests seem to weed out the men from the boys (no offense ladies) so to speak. Never completed Mad dragon for example.

I wish there was better way to form a group than the LFG channel. DDO had an awesome system. i could post "full run, no zerg, self sufficient" and get a group of folks that i knew would hang and want to ply the way i want. I stopped trying the 8200 quests because everyone expects you to know the 'cheat/efficient' (do not want to start a debate) method . Forming groups is one place that needs major attention from the devs.
  • loomyzaloomyza Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    WHich server are you on ?
  • seisem2seisem2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Bingo! i do not consider a group that was formed via chat a pug, because there was a level of discernment involved in the creation. I consider a pug to be the que generated group.

Perhaps that is my main mistake and I should try to form my own groups than count on the Que system.
    Lots of valuable feedback here. I think many folks followed the advice to save gems to 60 then buy all the gear, but still do not get cooperative play. Language is always a huge barrier. Yeah, the 6800 quests seem to weed out the men from the boys (no offense ladies) so to speak. Never completed Mad dragon for example.

I wish there was better way to form a group than the LFG channel. DDO had an awesome system. i could post "full run, no zerg, self sufficient" and get a group of folks that i knew would hang and want to ply the way i want. I stopped trying the 8200 quests because everyone expects you to know the 'cheat/efficient' (do not want to start a debate) method . Forming groups is one place that needs major attention from the devs.

I think the Dev's should fix all the cheating and exploiting first (the campfire running, sneaking to last bosses, causing bosses to suicide, etc) and then that will help fix the T2 LFG Pugs. Separating the Men from the Boys is essentially fixing the cheating. The boys won't be able to play then.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS
    Catalina Erantzo - GWF 13.9K GS

<Future> Guild on Dragon - Legit Non Exploit Guild (We are always recruiting great players)

Future Guild Recruitment Thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475381-lt-Future-gt-Legit-Non-Exploit-Guild-Recruiting
    edited September 2013
    Ideally as many have suggested, is having various difficulty modes or adjusting current & introducing hardcore/nightmare version. All of which with rewards that correspond to the difficulty.

And reduce mobs, Neverwinter is the style of game where u want quick fast action, not hours of mindless grinding through constant waves. Try find a balance between the higher level instances in Lotro, and wow's Dragon soul
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    loomyza wrote: »
    Ideally as many have suggested, is having various difficulty modes or adjusting current & introducing hardcore/nightmare version. All of which with rewards that correspond to the difficulty.

And reduce mobs, Neverwinter is the style of game where u want quick fast action, not hours of mindless grinding through constant waves. Try find a balance between the higher level instances in Lotro, and wow's Dragon soul

In NWN1, we tried to design contentthat did not require the pcs to simply 'chop wood' as we called it, ie mobs that you need to chop on forever.

I play on Dragon.
    edited September 2013
    In NWN1, we tried to design contentthat did not require the pcs to simply 'chop wood' as we called it, ie mobs that you need to chop on forever.

I play on Dragon.

I'm not sure if we can chat cross server, but more than happy to share some of my experience and specific advice/tactics for the majority of dungeon encounters, even through PM. The legit methods ofc, i'm not a fan of shortcuts or exploits. I'm on Mindflayer. End of the day it boils down to tactics and specific members or all of the team pulling their weight.

Schizo Mozzy / Septic / Mozzy the Devious
  • seisem2seisem2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I play on Dragon.

I'm actually on dragon and play with a legit guild that doesn't cheat. Message me in game sometime if you need help with anything.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS

<Future> Guild on Dragon - Legit Non Exploit Guild (We are always recruiting great players)

Future Guild Recruitment Thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475381-lt-Future-gt-Legit-Non-Exploit-Guild-Recruiting
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't know if it's the case for you, but gear score means nothing if the party is not well organized or if the players don't know how to play. Killing regular mobs is a piece of cake for five players with decent gear. Bosses take a bit of strategy, basic things even like killing the first wave of adds before the second wave spawns. The Cragmire end boss can hit pretty hard if you don't pay attention and if you add to that a million adds that nobody takes care of, it can get pretty messy.
    I haven't done many dungeons lately, but, when I did, I saw a tendency in some players to be very hasty. I have seen Rogues or Guardian Fighters leaving their parties behind to fight a group of mobs and running ahead to fight the next group then coming back with those mobs on their tail and forcing the party to fight two groups of mobs at the same time. At bosses everyone just try to go DPS on the boss. Last GG Dungeon I did, we all died twice and went through a lot of yelling and cursing before we could get organized and killed a boss that is not really that hard. In another T2 dungeon I had to teach a Control Wizard how to use their powers and I am a Rogue.
    This is why I think earning your gear is a good idea. Your gear score means nothing if you don't have any experience.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    khimera906 wrote: »
    Your gear score means nothing if you don't have any experience.

I think gear score itself is virtually meaningless. Rather than have the dungeons be gated by gear score, I think I'd prefer they were gated by requiring a few successful runs on prior dungeons. E.g., Dungeon A lets in everyone and anyone who's level 60. But Dungeon B can't be queued for unless one has successfully run Dungeon A a few times. Dungeon C would require a few successes at Dungeon B before unlocking. Then, maybe dungeons D & E both unlock after doing C successfully a few times, and Nasty Dungeon E unlocks after doing E & F each a bunch of times. If someone's in one of the later dungeons, their party members would at least know they've done all the more basic ones, and succeeded. That would tell me a lot more than their gear score. Sure, not perfect, but there's no perfect system for matching strangers together.

I've really soured on the dungeons here anyways, whether by PUG or not. When I ran PUGs I was noticing they were failing more and more often; I assumed that was because so many of the more experienced players had been leaving the "PUG scene" out of frustration. I haven't run a PUG dungeon, myself, in weeks now, and I don't feel like I'm missing much. In fact, I've decided I don't like the dungeons here. They concentrate too much repetitiveness in with excessively intense mouse-keyboard action for too long of periods. I don't find that fun, anymore that I'd like to make my career into knoting little strings together as fast as possible on an assembly line. I'm sure there's people who're both skilled at that and find it fun too, but not me.

Edit: I would add that if people were required to run prerequisite dungeons a few times before moving on to more difficult ones, then they would have been more likely to earn some gear from those previous dungeons, too.
  • krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    seisem2 wrote: »
    [/B]

I think the Dev's should fix all the cheating and exploiting first (the campfire running, sneaking to last bosses, causing bosses to suicide, etc) and then that will help fix the T2 LFG Pugs. Separating the Men from the Boys is essentially fixing the cheating. The boys won't be able to play then.

I'm not exactly sure why you think this is a good thing. When all the "boys" who can't play say screw it and go play a different game you and all the "men" will be standing around trying to figure out why the shut the servers down.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Seems since the release of the new content, I have not managed to finish any DD other than Cloak Tower and I am getting frustrated. The 3 toons i run all are 9.6 - 12k gs and where I used to take Cragmire and Idris for granted, I cannot seem to get a pug through them. On my DC, I would heal these so well that i was experimenting the last few runs before the release of shadar...now, I am not able to beat the end bosses.

What is worse is we will make it all the way to the end boss without any indication we are going to fail. no deaths everyone is ripping the adds to bits...then bam.. end boss and wipe. and wipe... then people get frustrated and quit and no complete.

The parties seem to all be well geared too. Almost all purples and everyone is perplexed. I never used the cheat methods, like climb the spikes in Idris... i did not have to do so.

The one thing that did change is I bought the fey pack and i slotted the purple armor enchant that came with the pack. i would have expected this to have made me more resilliant, but instead I am dieing a lot in the end bosses. I have to assume the bosses were improved (like the casual players need more of a challenge), the 'nerfs' all the classes recieved are showing us why they were not the best idea, or the armor slot is bugged and causing me to take more damage...

I am in a small guild of friends so joining an active guild is not an option. To be honest, if i have to be in a guild to complete the basic quests, that indicates a balance issue to me. The folks I am pugging with are saying the same thing and they know 'what needs to be done' to beat these early quests, i mean they are rated 6800 gs or less... and i have almost double this.

Are other folks having this experience too or have i just had really bad pug luck?
    exploit or fail dungeons and if u do not know exploits u wont be able to find team this is how game works atm i didnt finish any epics since expansion before u could at least finish karru with pug groups
    edited September 2013
    krinaman wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure why you think this is a good thing. When all the "boys" who can't play say screw it and go play a different game you and all the "men" will be standing around trying to figure out why the shut the servers down.

So because Cheaters can't figure out the content legitimately they will just find another game?
    Seisem - DC 13K GS

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    I never have a problem beating T1 dungeons with pugs, though if I get people that just don't want to talk, that sometimes results in a wipe. If they still don't want to talk, I say "Unless we communicate, we will fail again.", then "Unless we communicate, I am leaving.", then if necessary I leave to find a group that will actually communicate (I leave maybe 1% of pugs).

Some T2 are a different story. SC (to an extent), ToS and Dread Vault are nearly impossible to win (without bugging) unless the group is both well-equipped and coordinated.

If you're on Dragon, look me up. I run with a good, friendly team and we would be glad to have you join us.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
    edited September 2013
    I never have a problem beating T1 dungeons with pugs, though if I get people that just don't want to talk, that sometimes results in a wipe. If they still don't want to talk, I say "Unless we communicate, we will fail again.", then "Unless we communicate, I am leaving.", then if necessary I leave to find a group that will actually communicate (I leave maybe 1% of pugs).

Some T2 are a different story. SC (to an extent), ToS and Dread Vault are nearly impossible to win (without bugging) unless the group is both well-equipped and coordinated.

If you're on Dragon, look me up. I run with a good, friendly team and we would be glad to have you join us.

Message me on Dragon if you are interested in doing legit dungeons. I have a good small private guild of members that are looking for more people to run dungeons with us. Can help beat any dungeon without cheating. :)
    Seisem - DC 13K GS

• krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    seisem2 wrote: »
    So because Cheaters can't figure out the content legitimately they will just find another game?

What do you think they are going to do?

If you can't complete the content why play?
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

sc was toned down so.much it should be reclassified as a t1 dungeon. Did it the other night on my dc in a random pug. Gf, cwx2, tr and me. Tr disconnects before the first boss and never returns, and other than myself and maybe 1 of the cws nobody has experience in the dungeon. So we clear the entire thing kill the first 2 bosses and get to last boss. Gf gets knocked in acid before first phase change. The 2 cws are focused on adds so my dc solo kills the boss while keeping both cws alive and sunbursting adds off the platform. 30min fight for my dc's dps to kill boss, did over 4mil damage on that fight alone.

Not a single wipe the entire time. Couple ppl fell once or twice during the entire clear but party never came close to wiping, 4 manning the dungeon and 3 manning the boss with cleric as main dps.
    edited September 2013
    sc was toned down so.much it should be reclassified as a t1 dungeon. Did it the other night on my dc in a random pug. Gf, cwx2, tr and me. Tr disconnects before the first boss and never returns, and other than myself and maybe 1 of the cws nobody has experience in the dungeon. So we clear the entire thing kill the first 2 bosses and get to last boss. Gf gets knocked in acid before first phase change. The 2 cws are focused on adds so my dc solo kills the boss while keeping both cws alive and sunbursting adds off the platform. 30min fight for my dc's dps to kill boss, did over 4mil damage on that fight alone.

Not a single wipe the entire time. Couple ppl fell once or twice during the entire clear but party never came close to wiping, 4 manning the dungeon and 3 manning the boss with cleric as main dps.

Spellplague is just like Karrandux and Mad Dragon... none of them are really hard, they all just have long boss fights. The difference between T1 and T2 are the mob levels.. there is a noticeable difference in how hard they hit.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS

• inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree that t2 mobs hit slightly harder than t1 but None of what you said makes sense. Sp boss is only long if a pve healbot dc is your primary damage source with only sunburst, lance of faith, and hammer of fate for damage. Otherwise its pretty quick. Karrundax has the least hp of any boss in game outside of maybe epic cloak tower, that is literally the fastest boss fight in the game. Mad dragon has a decent amount of hp (more than karru) but less than any other t2. Its only hard because its the first dungeon that requires a plan to deal with adds, and that plan for most people involves putting their gf on boss as sole dmg for reasons unknown so the fight takes much longer than necessary.
  • gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    we need a new Q system, more smart where it selects classes.
    Like needs 1 healer, one dps, 2 dps controls and one tanker.
    Increase generation threats of gwfs sentinels and gfs tankers as well.

with a smart Q as this, probably people will be able to finish dungeons, or go further more often.
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
    edited September 2013
    no, instead of a smart q system you need smart players, ie you need people smart enough to never ever use said queue system, who form groups by communicating with one another with words you type on your keyboard into a chat channel, shared with everyone in the zone you are in across all instances. lets, for sake of argument, call this the /lfg channel. That way you always get whatever classes you need, you know everyone speaks the same language, and you know everyone has at least the vaguest concept of how to play the game. All of those things you know and/or find out before you ever set foot into said dungeon.

The queue system does not and would not ever gurantee those 3 things no matter how you code it.
    edited September 2013
    I agree that t2 mobs hit slightly harder than t1 but None of what you said makes sense. Sp boss is only long if a pve healbot dc is your primary damage source with only sunburst, lance of faith, and hammer of fate for damage. Otherwise its pretty quick. Karrundax has the least hp of any boss in game outside of maybe epic cloak tower, that is literally the fastest boss fight in the game. Mad dragon has a decent amount of hp (more than karru) but less than any other t2. Its only hard because its the first dungeon that requires a plan to deal with adds, and that plan for most people involves putting their gf on boss as sole dmg for reasons unknown so the fight takes much longer than necessary.

We can down the Pk boss in 15-18 seconds in our guild. Karrandux and SPC are not that fast. They take several minutes because of the phases.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS

edited September 2013
    karru takes 2 minutes, because you are waiting for him to fly off and the wyrmlings to spawn, then waiting for him to fly back down. if PK takes you 15 seconds Karru the dragon takes you 12 seconds because he has literally no hp.
    edited September 2013
    karru takes 2 minutes, because you are waiting for him to fly off and the wyrmlings to spawn, then waiting for him to fly back down. if PK takes you 15 seconds Karru the dragon takes you 12 seconds because he has literally no hp.

Karru takes a little bit longer the way the fight works.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS

edited September 2013
    Yes but his hp are much less than pk. If you are killing pk in 15 seconds the time on karru the dragon is 12 seconds. The fight only takes 2 minutes because you are waiting fo phase changes.
    edited September 2013
    Yes but his hp are much less than pk. If you are killing pk in 15 seconds the time on karru the dragon is 12 seconds. The fight only takes 2 minutes because you are waiting fo phase changes.

PK is fast because the boss is stationary and starts out with a big lashing attack. By the time he completes it he has already lost 35% of his health. We just stack adds and on top of the boss and I burn them down with my AOE. I'm telling you he drops fast. Karru and SP have phases... heck in Karru we have the dragon dropping fireballs while we collect adds and burn them down... that part itself takes longer than the whole boss on pirate.

Nothing is really hard about the fight... it is just longer and more time consuming. I can see where pugs have problems with this stuff.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS

• mestremaxmestremax Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2013
    I started some time playing this game and level up is something very easy, unlike getting good equipment.
    I arrived at the dungeon "Idris" and the difficulty is insane, something I had never seen, in my view if you arrive at the level to face the monsters you should at least be able to do that which is not currently possible.
    Will stopping this game here but if that changes it back surely found the game good but these dungeons has to change.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Also clerics are not able to heal through people standing in aoe or other mass damage mechanics. those are meant to be avoided hence the active combat mechanic which is awesome and often underused.

This quote needs to be plastered somewhere in-game. I've seen many players having difficulty getting over years of static combat training, and it gets you wiped in NW.

Of course, that isn't to say that the dungeon mechanics don't need reworking. The infinite add shtick is really not fun. If adds are the main difficulty factor in the encounter, then there should be some significant reprieve awarded for managing to down them. It's no wonder that many dungeon strats involve purposely not bothering to kill most of the adds because the effort is wasted when they respawn immediately rather than, say, five minutes later.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH