test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clarifications and Additions to Great Weapon Fighter Updates

Comments

• hellratedhellrated Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    And the biggest joke move.. "Roar".. The hell is that? a push move that push opponent by 1 step.. Oh c'mon...
    In-game Characters:
    Raba Leo - 16k GWF | Raba Dharma - 15.5k CW | Raba Chanda - 15k TR | Raba Karma - 14k HR
    PURE F2P, so far..
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    hellrated wrote: »
    And the biggest joke move.. "Roar".. The hell is that? a push move that push opponent by 1 step.. Oh c'mon...

It is an interrupt and dazes. Never under estimate roar.

If only they would give it back AP per target.
  • hellratedhellrated Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    It is an interrupt and dazes. Never under estimate roar.

If only they would give it back AP per target.

Ya, but i mean, for example at "temple of the spider" i noticed my team mates GF, CW, and even the DC have some awesome push moves, which they used to throw foes off the cliff.. While i just stood there stunning them and using "roar" which just pushed them by 1 step.. ****, i felt so useless at that point..
    This got me thinking, what is the real purpose of GWF? Now, Even the CW got better AoE attacks than GWF.
    GWF is just the fifth wheel?
    In-game Characters:
    Raba Leo - 16k GWF | Raba Dharma - 15.5k CW | Raba Chanda - 15k TR | Raba Karma - 14k HR
    PURE F2P, so far..
  • pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The most disappointing thing about this thread is that the devs actually came here and announced they were improving GWF for pve.. Obviously they know there is an issue..
    So what they gave us that patch
    Less dps
    Nerf to 60% of AP gain.
    Nerf to deflection
    Nerf to unstoppable
    Major nerf to best daily in slam

Add in interrupt to slam and mitigation

It's clear that they made the class noticeably worse

And the worst part.. They flat out refuse to make any reply to this now.. That's the worst part...

Now there is some slight bit of hope that maybe the following happened

Since that patch the dev team could see the dev in charge of GWF sucked at their job.. Because they do

Have since replaced that dev.. Would possibly explain why we now got an unstoppable fix.. Cause the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> dev couldn't find it.. The new dev did find the issue

Now the new dev is reworking the class

^^ if anything other than has happened since that patch
    Then there lack of communication is absolutely unacceptable!
  • vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Now the new dev is reworking the class
    I don't see that happening, they'r just trolling you ;)

I still use my gwf almost every day.. (do my daily sharandar quests, and daily praying.. and ...).. erm.. well that's about it.

good for stashing stuff for the other characters too.
    and has 6 slots for doing leadership tasks ;) *or other tasks that seem reasonable at the current time*

I don't do dungeons, Gauntlgrym, pvp, foundry (I used to do allot of foundry), I don't really see much point in it anymore.
    basicly I've shelved him, I rather spend time lvl'ing upp another char than playing the gwf if I have too much game time.

so far, I recomend for any new players happening to read this.
    if you have a gwf, and he's already lvl 60. don't frett too much, use your extra char slot for CW, TR or a DC, and you'll get plenty of Dungeon, pvp, or other enjoyment from the game. and ofc you can use your gwf for solo stuff like sharandar, or foundry quests. ;)
  • cyanbluestone007cyanbluestone007 Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    ....... Fighters on Strike!
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Please change reaping strike so that depending on how many seconds you charge it for, you can respec into a new class. This is how I envision it works.

Hold reaping strike for 1-10 seconds, become a TR. Hold reaping strike for 11-20 seconds, become GF. Hold reaping strike for 21-30 seconds, become CW. Hold reaping strike for 31-40 seconds, become DC. There should be a confirmation window to allowed people to confirm they charged and released the updated skill properly.
    edited September 2013
    Can't wait until they change the skins of our big two handed weapons. Feather dusters, flowers, toothpicks.

Then we would truly strike fear in the hearts of our enemies and they would all run away.... amirite?
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    i was like always wanting to say.. pls fix the **** anchor for 2h weapons when they are idle on the gwf back! My gwf is always with his *** cut in half! Since class is only good for show at least make it look proper!
  • goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hello Dezstravus,

As you see much people talk for problems here, but I am not sure did you and Cryptic saw one really strange things. It is the follow - all GWF here talk for using on few skills only but as we know the GWF have more skills.
    I think that this is a bit strange like that no one see most skills on GWF useful - no ?

Let's see:

Reaping Strike - if I start to hold it I can get more Determination but I will do maybe half DPS than if I spam WMS with cancel animation and if I hold agro I will lose it - so why is my benefit to use it ? The main idea of this skill is that I sacrifice something to get something.
    Make Reaping Strike to do more dmg and to be useful, give it future to ignore Block on GF in PVP (as I see the main idea of this skill is this - to can't be stoped) , to be immune to knockdown or to do knockdown or we to can do block/absorb dmg till hold it etc.

Next our "cool" skill Wicked Strike - who use it ? WMS again do more dps than this - so this is useless again...

Punishing Charge add on this skill future to dodge like Mighty Leap because the idea of both skills is the same. In moment If I use it in pvp other can easy countered me and I am down... And GWF have not other skills except Mighty Leap for dodge but Mighty Leap have too long cooldown.

Mighty Leap I think that if someone use it is for fast movement ... it do not do good dmg at all, yes it have dodge but the cooldown is too long which one make it useless maybe if you make it a little bit short ...

Executioner's Style
    Increase the damage of Reaping Strike when hitting a single target by 5/10/15/20/25%.
    What ?? Useless future on useless skill ... ok maybe in PVP but hummm ... no I will be dead before to release it... You know I am Destroyer - I have HP like ... DC :D or less :X Maybe if I can to start Unstopable till I am in holding Reaping Strike ?

Focused Destroyer
    Destroyer now has a 5/10/15/20/25% to grant a stack when hitting any number of targets.
    I can't understand what this do at all... Please just write something understandable if this work and it is useful.

Battle Awareness
    Savage Advance grants you 5/10/15/20/25% shorter cooldowns for 5 seconds and Slam grants you 5/10/15/20/25% more Power "while it is active."
    How you think, after you reduce AP generation - it is useful ?
    And wait, wait wait - you said that we must choose between slow from Slam or DPS from Spinning Strike - hummm I think that you are in mistake we have NOT a choice !!! The joke is that I prefer Spinning Strike...

Destroyer's Purpose
    You now gain Determination by dealing damage...
    If I hit boss/target and he do not hit me because any reason (e.g. GF tank him) how much Determination I will gain and how much will fall my DPS because no Unstoppable. Maybe if you add to this the exception in boss/target back we to gain more (double) will be nice - thanks in advance :)
  • quietsunnquietsunn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Gwf is sucks. No one want gwf in dungeon patry coz he have pure damage. "the Great Weapon Fighter is designed to be a class that excels at AoE DPS and taking hits while providing a bit of control to the fight" Maby you want say- "No control, no damage- this class only for lolz"?
    When you were designing this game, I was hoping that this class will be released good. I was wrong.
  • saini50990saini50990 Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zuthuul wrote: »
    From playing Neverwinter a lot and on all the different classes (mainly the GWF), my understanding of how each class should be, based on their fundamental mechanics, is as follows:

Great Weapons Fighter: when you think of this class, you think of slightly slower but much larger hits and a high damage output. My opinion is that this class should have a good survivability with very large and slow high damaging hits. I think about what the class wears and uses: scale armor (pretty strong, yet mobile armor) and huge axes or greatswords. This class should by far have the highest strength and thus the highest base damage out of any class. It should also have the ability to take on hordes of enemies and damage them ALL with each swing. Looking at scale armor, I believe it is the second strongest armor type out of the offered armors, and thus the class should have the second best survivability in the game. Regardless of paragon path, these extremely large, but slow hits over multiple enemies with a great survivability should be standard for a GWF.

Guardian Fighter: when I think of this class, I think of a tank. Not a tank in the standard MMO terminology, but a tank in warfare terminology. Unstoppable, hard (enough) hits, unkillable. This class wears plate, the strongest armor in the game and caries a sword and shield. This class should have flawless taunts. It should be slow moving and take next to no damage past its armor. This class should never be able to out dps any other class in this game, however, this class should never die. This class should also have a viable aoe approach (i.e. taunting and holding aggro for multiple enemies, damaging multiple enemies to keep their attention). This class should also be a major support role by buffing the allies on the group. I think this class should have three main priorities all reflected in skills: hold aggro, buff allies, deal secondary damage. In all other MMOs the tank class does just this. In Neverwinter, this class sometimes hits harder than GWF or TR. It just doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I love playing this class and PvPing with the knockbacks and prones.

Trickster Rogue: I think of a thief, ninja, or any sort of stealthy class when I look at the TR. This class wears leather and and uses dual daggers to deal damage. In no way should single attacks from this class (even with high crit) out damage a GWF (think about it, daggers vs. a gigantic sword. What do you think would hit harder?). I look at this class and think of well timed, precision strikes that do a lot of damage over time (i.e. bleeds, cripples, dazes, etc.) This class should rely on (IMO) the best mechanic in the game: stealth. The idea behind the class should be that it deals damage without building threat or being seen. It also should have the best escapability out of any class. It should be a lighting fast damage dealer that has smaller base hits, larger crit, more debuffs, and quick transitions to the attacks so that it has the highest sustained damage along with the misdirection of being a trickster. Again, don't get me wrong, I love to play as this class (executioner) for the devastating crits, but I just feel that Cryptic got the idea wrong with this class.

Control Wizard: This class needs to do what it's name is: Control. It does a good job of that, but honestly I think it deals too much damage. High damage magic should be left to mage class, not a controller. This class should have a focus more on holding down and disabling multiple enemies and debuffing them to the point where the other damaging classes can finish them off quickly. This class should be more of an annoyance and insurance policy than a devastating damager. IMO the class needs a damage nerf, but a CC buff so that durations are longer and there are more of them.

Devoted Cleric: This class got shafted from the get-go. It doesn't heal well and can't really do good damage. This class is the only healer in the game. In no way should a companion be able to out heal this class. I think this class needs a major rework to ensure a huge increase in healing. The mechanic of damaging enemies to fill up a bar so that you can actually heal is just plain stupid. That mechanic should be used to buff heals, not entirely enable them. I have to say, if built right, it has amazing survivability compared to its armor type, but with that build, the class becomes an objective holder in PvP where you can't deal damage, or heal, but can survive at a point long enough to have your team come back you up. It's useless. The name suggests it all. This class should first and foremost be a healer and a **** good one.

In summary, Cryptic really messed up on what these classes should be. What they implemented caused the balance issues in the first place, and if they actually made each class to what they were meant to be, I think there wouldn't have been balance issues and everyone would be happy.

I hope some people can agree with me here, but if not, I would love to hear your opinions on the matter.

well i agree with all of ur points on each class and best agree on the points u mentioned about how the armor comes in the mobility and sustainence. but cryptic sure cant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> understand a single bit of game mechanics , about each class shld be fighting in dungeon . the fighting with an even party shld be like this , the gwf flushes out the mobs , the tr using stealth goes after big targets and distracting them without getting aggro while gf takes all aggro from mobs/boss helping other classes to not getting any major attacks from mobs the cw helping gwf to kill the mobs and well dc heals and buffs the players.
    but what really happening is cw kills all the mob without the gwf even get the chance to it tr tops out dmg from gwf and have kills more than a gwf , instead of gf tanking it sometimes cw gets the aggro (wtfk that shld not even happen) tr kills the boss and so what i m seeing in dungeon is whats the job the gwf shld be doing when all other can top him out and do more than him, he cant give good threat , if all party have same gs than gwf dps comes 2nd last just above dc where it shld have been gwf on top than comes tr than comes gf than cw and lastly dc , wow cryptic sure did a great job in forming the game mechanics making gwf to great sissy fighter.
  • conancarnageconancarnage Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I really dont see why so many people are saying the GWF is useless. I have rolled up 4 so far and in every case weather it be pve, pvp, etc. I have done great. I made con specked, str specked, dex specked, and utility specked GWF and all have been at least in top 3 constantly during pvp, and most have been at least top 2 dps in pve, most of the time being the lowest lvl character in the party. You need to learn to gear up, and make sacrifice to obtain better stat generation. I do agree that things need to be changed in game, but they should be tweaks not buffs or debuffs. there can never be a true balance to the game, if one class is doing 1 more point of damage most people will flock and use it, just for one point. I do believe there should be a gain and loss in skill etc. to keep it interesting. But also Classes should do what there supposed to, no one class should be able to do another classes job, and we shouldnt see parties with 5 TRs and one cleric, etc. These are just my thoughts and experiences ive undergone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    People think GWFs are fine when they are in a group of folks that are not min/max.
    Yep you will rock the charts.

Run with a well geared and skilled TR/CW or both and you will find that you are not top DPS.

Sure we can hold our own in PVE and PVP.

That does not mean we are fine, there are some tweaks that could help GWF become a more rounded class.

One major example -

Instigator capstone is useless for soloing. Entirely too small radius for PVP. 15 feet...really? Lose stacks once you take damage...really devs?

15 feet means they need to be within striking distance of my weapon. Restoring Strike distance is 15 ft.

People that think GWF is fine really need to take a break. We are not broken yet we are also not finished.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Run with a well geared and skilled TR/CW or both and you will find that you are not top DPS.

Nor are GWF's expected to be top DPS without amazing gear and being very well-played. When well-played a GWF is a fantastic asset to a group, but I have found that many GWF's play as though the rest of the party is there to follow and support them. Epics are structured for team play. While the composition of that team can vary, it's usually not about any one player.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

edited October 2013
    ^^

Playing a GWF I am always first in so yes I need the rest of the team to come in and pick up the loot. ;)
    edited October 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Nor are GWF's expected to be top DPS without amazing gear and being very well-played. When well-played a GWF is a fantastic asset to a group, but I have found that many GWF's play as though the rest of the party is there to follow and support them. Epics are structured for team play. While the composition of that team can vary, it's usually not about any one player.

well when u in a party the whole team expects gwf to lead to get the mobs and boss aggro. i dont know with what type of players u played but everyteam i played with wants gf/gwf to lead so they remain safe and i dont have any problem with that the gwf shld be all rounded fighter is it not. thats what that class is supposed to do. the gwf and cw go hand in hand , the cw control mobs and gwf attacks while tr and gf go hand in hand the gf takes boss aggro and tr attacks them and cleric buffs the party . well i know there r many possiblity to how which a team can run but this is the moss efficient 1 but by nerfing down gwf so much the gwf have manly lost its role in party. and u mr gwf try to find groups in zone first who will want gwf in a party and not with friends or guild than after expriencing the time required to get in a party for cn or mc tell me cause i am sure as hell as that it will take to much find a grp to take gwf in cause everytime what the party consists of is 3cw tr and dc . so forgive me if i m wrong but imo gwf is now become a useless class for cn and mc according to party going for cn and mc .
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    saini50990 wrote: »
    gwf is now become a useless class for cn and mc

Somewhere in forum I think I asked for the names of the dungeons where a gwf was ok. Nobody was able to suggest anything. I would add KRDX and FH to your list. And Spider.
    English is not my first language.
  • jeffro9000jeffro9000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    From the perspective of a Destroyer GWF:

I think the only reason CW's are doing more dps in PVE is the cap on ae targets for the GWF. I think I could keep pace with wizards in dps if I could hit everything I am swinging at. Maybe just raise it from 5 to 7 targets and see what impact it has. I already do more dps than rogues just because of ae's, but my single target is not as effective as the rogue, of course.

My other frustration is the weak control abilities. Come and get it does not pull hard enough, roar does not push far enough, and not so fast is not so great. A little more oomf and these abilities might actually be useful to a group.

Maybe, just maybe, give me a .5 second immunity to the start of sprint on a 5 second cooldown. A little lag in a dungeon and you can be hit outside of the telegraphed circles.
    Jeffro, DC
    Jeffrina Jones, GWF
    Jeffrodo, CW
    Jeffrogue, Rog
    Jelfro, GF
    Jeffrogolas Do'Urden, HR
    Jeffrodo Jaggins, SW
    edited October 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    I would add KRDX and FH to your list. And Spider.
    i dont have any problem finding group for karru fh and spider and that i m talking about legit killing not the bug kill. but for cn and mc
    the party strucuture is bad. 3cw tr and dc well its does not fare well. well finding group for mc is relatively easy cause they want slam for valindra only if they r doing 3/3 legit killing or else forget the gwf. and cn 1 time i tried to create group for and the cw replied and said i dont run with gwf . i mean wtfk. i have only 1 toon and what am i goona do with it.i can do all the runs that tr can usong my titan armor but still they want tr cause he can dps more than me , they want cw cause we cant control mobs so maybe its time to quit the gwf class or the neverwinter.
    and plz oh plz remove the bugs from mc so that gwf can actually find groups for that. well for cn i just request u to make atleast gwf something good so he can do atleast do something in cn.
    edited October 2013
    Devs...AP....or target cap removal....take your pick...but give us SOMETHING.

Also,

Fix Instigator Capstone. Adjust it, give more range and stop dropping the stacks.
  • effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    let us change our race... not many of us took the good race.. i am half elf .. and i need 3 heroic points for crit severity .. so let us change ourrace.. even for zen :)
    fix the brimstone transmute and let the enchantment colors on it, and for hellfire armor too ...

and for DPs :- ? wee need more DAMAGE , increase it for like 100-150 damage pers swing , and it will be fine :) ... and for come and get it .. make it more powerful, not to damage, but to get them to us.. just like cw singularity.. :) and that's all to make a good dps gwf ..
  • marracenmarracen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty new to the game, and am still learning all the goods of a GWF. PVP is, without a doubt, my favorite thing to do. Currently, I'm lvl 60 and just under 11k GS and 2k defense and cannot, for the life of me understand how a GF with a 1 handed weapon can destroy me in 2 hits. His 1 handed weapon should be no where near the damage of my 2 handed. After all he already has a shield to hide behind like a little girl. The recent change to Avalanche has made it all but useless in pvp. No longer can I catch that TR or CW that's running away or blowing me half way across the zone. If I'm not right on top of them i just wasted my action points. This class was a lot of fun when I hit 60, I've got a nice build off mmo minds and was kicking ***. Now I can't even beat a DC. Thanks for trashing the GWF, I'm off to make a TR or CW and just kill everything.
    edited October 2013
    all i want for my GWF is to change the appearance to the knot... i want dual wilded weapons... i hope u will make that !
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    all i want for my GWF is to change the appearance to the knot... i want dual wilded weapons... i hope u will make that !

Now that is ridiculous.
    edited November 2013
    make a reroll token, and a change race token ... that will be good ... :)
  • xokamikazeoxxokamikazeox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    About the Sentinel paragon path. It is supposed to be a tank build but there is no where near enough aggro generation to be a viable tank spec. The aggro gen abilities just do not create enough aggro. It's not the fact of survival, that's fine. I just need to be able to hold aggro... Maybe making Weapon masters strike generate a decent amount of aggro to hold mobs off the party, just something so the sentinel path isn't useless besides being able to take hits and that's it.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    About the Sentinel paragon path. It is supposed to be a tank build but there is no where near enough aggro generation to be a viable tank spec. The aggro gen abilities just do not create enough aggro. It's not the fact of survival, that's fine. I just need to be able to hold aggro... Maybe making Weapon masters strike generate a decent amount of aggro to hold mobs off the party, just something so the sentinel path isn't useless besides being able to take hits and that's it.
    Have you tested Sentinel with the new Paragon Path Iron Vanguard on the test server?
    va8Ru.gif
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    marracen wrote: »
    cannot, for the life of me understand how a GF with a 1 handed weapon can destroy me in 2 hits.

The GF has a one-hand sword. So, or course he delivers more damage than you and your two-hand sword. The GF is a defensive, tanly kind of fighter. Therefore, he hits harder.

You feel like you're in some Lewis Carrol world, uh? Well no, it's only Cryptic.
    English is not my first language.
  • samuraicrazysamuraicrazy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ****... I just started playing a GWF and its nerfed to the ground already?