test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So now you get twice as many petals?

Comments

• sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sorry, but any way you slice it this was a bad move. If they would have clearly stated they were going to do this, most people who just wanted the Pig companion for themselves would have waited until this patch to start farming.

This is just the most recent in a series of bad decisions, and like the past incidents it really boils down to inadequate communication. PWE/Cryptic doesn't communicate enough with the player base. I really hope they change that.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No, it's a great decision because it makes me happy.

This is as reasonable as saying it's a bad decision because it makes you unhappy.

I think you should be able to see why there is no debate to be had here.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
    edited September 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    No, it's a great decision because it makes me happy.

This is as reasonable as saying it's a bad decision because it makes you unhappy.

I think you should be able to see why there is no debate to be had here.

I understand and accept your logic, but it was definitely a bad decision to handle it the way they did. Not because it made me unhappy or because it made you happy but because it wasted people's play time. Better communication needs to happen.
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Better communication needs to happen.

Better intuition needs to happen on your end. Not to say that you'd be able to intuit a doubling of the droprate, but anyone who looked at the calender knew the rewards would change.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I understand and accept your logic, but it was definitely a bad decision to handle it the way they did. Not because it made me unhappy or because it made you happy but because it wasted people's play time. Better communication needs to happen.

I dont see the time as being wasted. I earned what I wanted, that has not changed, and the new changes cant take that away. The only thing that has changed is now I have new incentive to try to earn more.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yes yes, I'm sure the undeniable evidence this game is collapsing on itself is that they are giving twice as many petals now, something must be done, think about the children!
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    What a marvelous way to annoy everyone who farmed petals for the past week and a half!

I have to hand it to the people running this game: you have an uncanny ability to make your players feel like they wasted their time and money. I can't wait to see what you guys do next, lol.

There is always someone ... who will ***** ... about anything.

Makes me want to bang my head into the desk, how entitled everyone acts.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Don't see the need to get all worked up about this. I mean, if you want to be annoyed about the "height of the festival", why not be annoyed that all it is is doubled petals and one new consumable project. Personally, I'd been expecting some interesting new things to buy with petals. Ah, well. :p
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Besides, if they had come right out and said "hey we're doubling everything toward the end of the festival," would anyone really have done anything with it from the start, or just waited until now to participate in it?

p.s. When I heard that something would happen with the "height of the festival," my first thought was "woo I hope it's double petals," just saying.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    p.s. When I heard that something would happen with the "height of the festival," my first thought was "woo I hope it's double petals," just saying.

Lulz.

Buck up, Dr. Grumpypants, this is a good thing.
    edited September 2013
    Besides, if they had come right out and said "hey we're doubling everything toward the end of the festival," would anyone really have done anything with it from the start, or just waited until now to participate in it?

Yeah, I agree that if they would have come out and said the rewards would be doubled during the Height of Festival that people who are only in it for the companion would have waited, so it would have made more sense not to double the rewards at any point during the festival. If they thought the drop rate was too low then they should have factored that in to the planning of future events and left this one with the same currency drop rate and settled for adding the new "Height of the Festival" rewards as the bonus. That would have been the smart way to handle it ... just saying.
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You are delusional. This is not a bad thing. There is absolutely NO downside to this. None. Zero. Nada. Nein. Nothing.

It did not invalidate your previous farming, you still have the petals you farmed, or the items you bought with the petals. If you farmed for a pig, you still have it. If you sold that pig then you made more from selling it then than you will make if you sell it in a couple days (when there are a lot more on the market). Just because you make more now does not impact your previous earnings.

Get over yourself.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I suspected it the entire time due to that's how it was on test server. This is nooo surprise to me. and ive been working very hard just the same. my suggestion is use the extra pertals to get more pigs/tops to sell after festival is over. this was planned the entire time it was on the calendar and the testserver various forums mentioned it was probably the case...I believe it was even on the wiki.

no one knew for SURE true but it was really like that badly hidden surprise party where almost everyone who looked into it knew what was going on.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh noooo. Everyone working hard will be cheated once again. For we have dev confirmation that they plan to do the event again next year!
    graalx3 wrote: »
    All of the food items made by the Midsummer Provisioning profession will last until they are consumed. Only items explicitly noted as Temporary will eventually go away.

You will however be unable to make any more once the Event is over as the Midsummer Provisioning profession will no longer be available. At least until next summer anyway.

(Insert shock and horror here)

How could they do this to everyone working so hard farming stuff? Only to have it tossed into their faces next year!

(Insert rage, huffing, and high levels of hand wringing here)
    edited September 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »
    You are delusional. This is not a bad thing. There is absolutely NO downside to this. None. Zero. Nada. Nein. Nothing.

It did not invalidate your previous farming, you still have the petals you farmed, or the items you bought with the petals. If you farmed for a pig, you still have it. If you sold that pig then you made more from selling it then than you will make if you sell it in a couple days (when there are a lot more on the market). Just because you make more now does not impact your previous earnings.

Get over yourself.

You, sir, are incorrect. By offering the same rewards for less effort it devalues the time that was spent when more effort was required. You don't seem to understand that, though, which is a good thing for PWE/Cryptic. Hopefully for them, most of the players have your sensibility.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    You, sir, are incorrect. By offering the same rewards for less effort it devalues the time that was spent when more effort was required. You don't seem to understand that, though, which is a good thing for PWE/Cryptic. Hopefully for them, most of the players have your sensibility.
    . . . . . Actually, it just means that time spent is now worth more. Previous worth did not change, only one's own perception of it based upon personal opinion. It's called incentive, many companies do this both in MMOs and everywhere else. You know what I am talking about, "Buy this awesome new Phone." Several Months later, "Buy this awesome Phone and get this awesome Rate Plan included!" With MMOs, the incentive is different.. for they want you to play. So, naturally MMO incentives will be things to try and get more players to play so they will be more apt to buy things.
  • unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm just happy they let me trade the Favors of Sune that I had piling up for petals, I sure as hell wasn't going to be riding a pig anytime soon, Lol'd all the way to the trader with my 2.6k Petals xD
  • riftizdeadriftizdead Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2013

Get over yourself.

Yea people spent twice as much effort and amount of time before versus now.....that's what ticked people off so which part you don't get ?

So why not double it up at the start or just don't do it and the whine would never happen
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is the worst tragedy in my life since I couldn't find the pump hand soap I just bought at the market!

I don't know what the world is coming to!!!

Now it's more cyber flowers for everybody??!! This outrage cannot be allowed to stand!!!!!!
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    riftizdead wrote: »
    Yea people spent twice as much effort and amount of time before versus now.....that's what ticked people off so which part you don't get ?

So why not double it up at the start or just don't do it and the whine would never happen

And if I bought something last week, and it's on sale this week, I should get all indignant about it? This is a *bonus* to the regular event - you are viewing it as a penalty.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you are ticked off about this then you must have real problems in the real world. And I know a thing or 2 about being Tickdoff :)

The time that you spent before the 2x bonus gave you exactly what it was supposed to. You earned the stuff that you got. The fact that for the next 6 days people get twice as much as you did for the same effort does not mean anything compared to what you did before. In fact, if you sold anything before today then you cashed in better than someone now running the events. So you got a bonus for your time spent. You got the items before many people did, you had an opportunity to make more money by selling them, or you can keep what you have at no additional cost.
    edited September 2013
    I think you are just angry, because you cannot sell that event <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for a massive amount of AD, due to the high supply, while at the same time you're trying to make us (myself excluded) believe that you are concerned about DD queues...

Not a nice try, at all.

You could not be more wrong, but your sentiment is duly recognized for what it's worth.
    edited September 2013
    If you are ticked off about this then you must have real problems in the real world. And I know a thing or 2 about being Tickdoff :)

The time that you spent before the 2x bonus gave you exactly what it was supposed to. You earned the stuff that you got. The fact that for the next 6 days people get twice as much as you did for the same effort does not mean anything compared to what you did before. In fact, if you sold anything before today then you cashed in better than someone now running the events. So you got a bonus for your time spent. You got the items before many people did, you had an opportunity to make more money by selling them, or you can keep what you have at no additional cost.

Setting aside your flippant (and largely worthless) first paragraph, I get where you're coming from, but I'm referring to the folks who farmed the flowers only to get the companion for themselves not to resell them at the Auction House for AD. Those people basically wasted half the time it took them to get the reward. It's not difficult to grasp why this would annoy some casual gamers.
    edited September 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Actually, it just means that time spent is now worth more. Previous worth did not change, only one's own perception of it based upon personal opinion. It's called incentive, many companies do this both in MMOs and everywhere else. You know what I am talking about, "Buy this awesome new Phone." Several Months later, "Buy this awesome Phone and get this awesome Rate Plan included!" With MMOs, the incentive is different.. for they want you to play. So, naturally MMO incentives will be things to try and get more players to play so they will be more apt to buy things.

Your logic doesn't actually make sense, but I (generally) agree with the second part of your statement with regards to incentives. You know what would be a good incentive to keep people playing (he asked rhetorically)? Make sure their invest in time and money is honored. Giving away the same (or similar) rewards for less investment so soon after doesn't help you retain your initial investors. It's unwise in every respect, actually, and unfortunately it's been a recurring problem of late with this game. I'll not mention the other recent incidents lest my post be summarily deleted, but you know what I'm talking about ...
  • vikingbradvikingbrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Very happy I sold my first pig companion for 88K AD.

Expect they will be <10k before the week is out.
    Ricky Gervatheist Lvl 60 DC on Dragon Server
    Looking for a guild for PvE Dungeons to suit AEST evenings
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Your logic doesn't actually make sense, but I (generally) agree with the second part of your statement with regards to incentives. You know what would be a good incentive to keep people playing (he asked rhetorically)? Make sure their invest in time and money is honored. Giving away the same (or similar) rewards for less investment so soon after doesn't help you retain your initial investors. It's unwise in every respect, actually, and unfortunately it's been a recurring problem of late with this game. I'll not mention the other recent incidents lest my post be summarily deleted, but you know what I'm talking about ...

What he's saying, is the fact that a gallon of gas costs $3.60 today, doesn't make yesterdays gallon at $3.45 any more or less valuable. The variable here is time. Things in the past do not change in value, cannot change in value, due to any happenings in the present. They are in the past, thus any value set on them, perceived or real, applied at that time and is set in stone.

The hours a player spent yesterday getting flowers doesn't change how valuable the flowers and his time was yesterday.

On the other side of the argument, if the person bought a gallon for 3.45 yesterday, and sells it today for 3.60, he made a profit ... off of yesterday's work. Bearing no changes in the value of that dollar, that is. And the people who sell their flowers today for more petals than they got yesterday, are making a profit.

In the one hand, the value of the item can never change. In the other hand, the value of any item is in constant flux and always changing, and given the correct circumstances, profit can be made.

Today, people are making profit.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As a player who was still farming flowers and trying to level his PCs effectively I am very happy with this change.

I've spent a lot of time with multiple characters in the flower fields none of whom are above level 44, its hard work doing it especially when people are so busy "farming flowers" that basic respect for other people disappears. (Seriously, you need flowers so badly you have to take the flowers of someone busy fighting the kobolds?)

Now I can actually be certain that I can get the outfit (properly) for my 2 Suneites and even get the piggy companion for my DC - assuming I'm ever able to log into the game again in the remaining time.

As for dungeon queues - CT is never short of people wanting to do the dungeon. Hit Blackdagger and the Crypts and its a lot quieter, but no troubles getting a party in Grey Downs for Idris where Zone chat is regularly peppered with requests. Maybe its not the Midsummer event that is causing Epic DDs to have bad queues but the bugs in those dungeons? Certainly Midsummer seems to be swimming in 60's farming flowers/events for the rewards.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That's like getting mad at the supermarket because you bought 1kg of sugar for 1 dollar and now they have it on sale for half the price. Would you go and complain to the owner for that? I hope not.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Those people basically wasted half the time it took them to get the reward. It's not difficult to grasp why this would annoy some casual gamers.

Some spent their time and got their reward. Now they can spend some more time, but not as much as before, to get even more reward, if so inclined. At the previous rate of collection, they might not have had sufficient time to collect enough petals to claim any more rewards, which they could sell for at least some profit. As such, this change in the rate of collection will allow some to claim additional rewards for a greater total benefit than they would have previously been able to under the prior system.

For some, with limited time, they will now be able to collect some reward where it may have been impossible for them to gain any with the previous collection limits.

The only people who will lose with this are those determined to make this a losing situation.
    edited September 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Some spent their time and got their reward. Now they can spend some more time, but not as much as before, to get even more reward, if so inclined. At the previous rate of collection, they might not have had sufficient time to collect enough petals to claim any more rewards, which they could sell for at least some profit. As such, this change in the rate of collection will allow some to claim additional rewards for a greater total benefit than they would have previously been able to under the prior system.

For some, with limited time, they will now be able to collect some reward where it may have been impossible for them to gain any with the previous collection limits.

The only people who will lose with this are those determined to make this a losing situation.

While I think this is a valid perspective, I just don't see it that way. I think if all you were grinding flowers for was a (EDIT) companion for yourself then you're likely wishing you should have waited for this patch to do so. I suppose it's all in how you look at it, but being able to grind those same tasks now for double the rewards if you already went through the grind to get to your (EDIT) companion isn't consoling in the least. Sure, if you're grinding the flowers so that you can get additional (EDIT) companions to resell, then the extra rewards now is a great thing for you, but if you're of the mind that herding pigs isn't the most exciting of tasks how is this good for you? It isn't; it's just annoying.

Anyway, I suppose I should be thankful to see so many players giving PWE/Cryptic a pass and defending them every time they make questionable decisions. Hopefully, the game remains intoxicating enough for the easy excuses to continue the next time people's efforts end up getting marginalized due to lack of vision.