test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clarifications and Additions to Great Weapon Fighter Updates

Comments

• unksamunksam Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ladies and gentlemans,now is our time to act against this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> nerfs given to the GWF,we don't do extreme damage like a TR,we don't have control skills like the CW,we are not healers,we are simply based on unstoppable,who now is pure useless.If we don't take some action the GM will simply ignore this problem and continue nerfing us untill we become ZERO.Even if unstoppable will not last like the old one at least stop this stupid intreruption and stop listening to all of those puss..... who don't know to play and simply blame a good class and ruin it.Have a nice day folks and start using that head,not only the mouth.
  • wondraswondras Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What if I told you -
    - you need to gather votes from GWFs rather then crying on thread devs doesnt read anymore?

we, GWFs, should start polls or highly visited threads -no flaming on devs there-, only constructive feedback.
    You should realize that critism should stay constructive, if I were dev I wouldnt read this thread niether.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited August 2013
    The change is good and all but why take away the AP generation of AOE abilities ?
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The change is good and all but why take away the AP generation of AOE abilities ?
    The change is not good and all, the AP generation on AOE abilities is just another to put on the pile of "f**k up" they did with the GWF..
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Where to begin....Instigator will be a great place.

Capstone says don't get hit! Also completely and utterly useless for soloing. Unstoppable says you must get hit. WHICH IS IT?

AP generation is nerfed hard core for the Instigator spec.

Not So Fast = 5.5% Regardless of targets hit: 0% on miss
    Indomitable Battle Strike = 6.5% Regardless of targets hit: Bonus on a kill
    Roar= 6.5% Regardless of targets hit: 0% on miss

Wicked Strike=1.5% per target: 0% on miss
    Weapon master strike 1.5% per target: 0% on miss

So I can do a full encounter rotation and have less than 20% AP. Lowest cool down is Not So Fast at 9.9s with current recovery. The other two are over 10 seconds. For the following example I round all to 10s.

Using just encounters in the first rotation nets 20%. 10 seconds until next rotation.
    Five full rotations to reach 100% for a daily. So in a perfect world and chaining encounters it would take the following time.

20% at 3 seconds Regardless of # mobs hit.
    40% at 13 seconds Regardless of # mobs hit.
    60% at 23 seconds Regardless of # mobs hit.
    80% at 33 seconds Regardless of # mobs hit.
    100% at 43 seconds for full AP Regardless of # mobs hit.

Using just at-wills with ~1.5 second animation time and hitting 5 mobs would generate roughly 7.5%.

5 mobs hit: 100% / 7.5 =13.3
    4 mobs hit: 100% /6% =16.6
    3 mobs hit: 100% /4.5% =22.2
    2 mobs hit: 100% /3% =33.3
    1 mob hit :100% /1.5% = 66.6

So in a perfect world with mobs not moving and me not dodging red ground or mob hits nor missing the hits is as follows:

13.3 X 1.5 seconds = Hitting 5 mobs for 20 seconds for a daily.
    16.6 X 1.5 seconds = Hitting 4 mobs for 24.9 seconds for a daily
    22.2 X 1.5 seconds = Hitting 3 mobs for 33.3 seconds for a daily.
    33.3X 1.5 seconds = Hitting 2 mobs for 49.9 seconds for a daily.
    66.6X 1.5 seconds = Hitting 1 mobs for 99.9 seconds for a daily.

GWF is an AOE class. The less mobs on the board the less AP we regen. When there is more than 5 mobs on the board then we should be generating massive amounts of AP to deal with the large number of mobs. That was working as designed before the patch using our encounters. Now that they have removed AP generation regardless of mobs hit our AP generation has tanked which means less dailies meaning less DPS.

When there is only one mob it takes us longer generate full AP, after all we are an AOE class . Now we are stuck with the same constraint regardless of mob count.

I talked with other class members in the guild and they did tests to see how long it would take to generate AP.

The best was 9 seconds. Yes 9 seconds. From empty to full using encounters.

The worst was GWF as shown above.

GWF job is to take out the trash. Given the current state. You are better off taking ANY class that is NOT a GWF.

Nothing much to say here other than my PVE enjoyment was trying to keep #1 DPS against my guild which always depended on the dungeon. I normally finished in top 2 and lowest was 3. Now I am lucky to get 3rd and usually end up just above the DC.

Recap. AOE class no longer generates AP to handle large groups of mobs. Stuck generating AP against SINGLE target.

That doesnt sound right. Skills that does little damage but has an effect additionally gained AP based on how many opponents were hit.

IF this was intentional. GF frontline surge would have gotten this nerf even more so than the nerf done to Roar and Daring Shout. As well as Master: Repel, Sudden Storm, Shard of Avalanche, Steal Time (I'm pretty sure Mastery: Conduit of Ice as well, but I never used that on Mastery)

And these are a mix of utility and damage encounters.

For the GWF At-Will and Utility and few aoe damage encounters it has to be nerfed in AP generation just doesnt make any sense taking that into consideration, when the only other skill that got the same treatment was the Devoted Clerics's damage/healing skill.

So then how about you removing AP generation from these skills?

Or maybe you can change my capstone to allow me to gain AP per mob hit.
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sorry but the OP just makes no sense.

You say you want the GWF to "Excel at AoE DPS", yet our AoE DPS sucks compared to CWs.
    You gave us a choice between power and utility, at the cost of a significant AoE damage reduction.
    Buff the AoE encounters and give more AoE DPS. Changing the dailies simply doesn't change a thing.

You want GWFs to "Excel at AoE DPS"? Start with making us the class that actually makes the best AoE damage, instead of leaving us behind the AoE damage and cc of CWs, and stop with the BS.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited August 2013
    No matter how you spin it devs nerfing AP generation on AOE is a massive DPS nerf esp to a class that is touted as master of AOE DPS. I used to gain full AP around 20-30 seconds of fighting. Now it takes over a minute which is around 2-3 times longer. The math doesn't lie. Spinning strike is still a joke altho less than a joke than before. Slam got nerf fine... we can live with that.. but to nerf a major game mechanic is just too heavy handed.

Edit: At least if you're adamant about this nerf Cryptic then at least let us break the 5 mob hit cap.
    edited August 2013

Edit: At least if you're adamant about this nerf Cryptic then at least let us break the 5 mob hit cap.

They would just lower the damage per target after first target even further so why even bother.
    edited August 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    They would just lower the damage per target after first target even further so why even bother.

At least we'll be doing damage.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I don't see the issue with 5 mob limit unless you are trying to pull 3+ packs and in Malabog's Castle that would be a team wipe as the mobs melee hit really hard.

Maybe bump it up to 7 targets.
  • farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

....cough.... cough.... dead GWF.

Thousands of posts have been made since open Beta on the state of GWF. Half of them are buff the GWF damage. They have the highest damage weapons in the game but have the lowest damage abilities that are further the more targets they hit.

As one of two striker class in the game the have half or less single target damage than the TR.
    Against 5 targets or less they may be able to out damage CW's but CW's win AoE DPS from having higher cap limits... And some uncapped powers.

You give the GWF damage mitigation and the cost of 60% damage. We asked before you made this change not to change Slam it was fine as is. Slam had high damage it's true but slam could not crit and it took 10 seconds to deal it's full damage. It was usable as an Aoe daily. The other dailes where not usable at all.
    edited August 2013
    Slam isn't the real issue.

AP generation per target is the issue. Removing it from certain encounter abilities pretty much killed the GWF AOE DPS role for PVE.
  • belprahbelprah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Weapon master strike 1.5% per target: 0% on miss
    [...]

Using just at-wills with ~1.5 second animation time and hitting 5 mobs would generate roughly 7.5%.

5 mobs hit: 100% / 7.5 =13.3
    4 mobs hit: 100% /6% =16.6
    3 mobs hit: 100% /4.5% =22.2
    2 mobs hit: 100% /3% =33.3
    1 mob hit :100% /1.5% = 66.6
    Doesn't seem to be the case anymore, judging from some dummy-whacking.
    Didn't matter if I hit 1 or 3 targets with WMS, I still get 1.5% ap per swing.
  • vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gwf == Dev's trolling you all, it's the only logical theory :cool:
    edited August 2013
    belprah wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be the case anymore, judging from some dummy-whacking.
    Didn't matter if I hit 1 or 3 targets with WMS, I still get 1.5% ap per swing.

Wow. Just tested and yes getting 1.5% regardless of targets for Wicked Strike and Weapon Master Strike.

Well you can throw the old numbers out. 100/1.5=66.66*1.5(animation time) for a nice round number of 100 seconds to build a daily just using at-wills.

Yep. GWF is fine. Nothing to see here. Move along. /sarcasm
    edited August 2013
    Using Reaping Strike, you get 2.2% AP for the first "whoosh" of charging it up (the minimum time you must cast it for to deal any damage), 4.2% for waiting until the second one and 5.2% for full charge. At first glance, this sounds nice, but if you factor in a 1 second delay between the 2.5 sec casts, it still amounts to 1.5% AP per 1.5 seconds.
    Old threads show that RS has the lowest DPS of all the other AoE At-wills and it hasn't been changed for a long, long time, so even if Devs decide to grant CC immunity while casting it, you'll still be dealing inferior damage, even if you have gained a bit of situational utility in return.
    Not to mention that if you spam RS, there is a high chance for SotS stacks to expire (happened to me on dummies while swinging RS around, hasn't happened with any other at-will). If SotS can expire, then Deep Gash can too, meaning less ticks. Oh, and slower attack rate means less procs of Blitz, the damage of which doesn't appear based on what attack it proc'd off.

I honestly can't think of any buff that can make RS even remotely useful. If the 3 attacks it does per target at max charge (as shown in the combat log) were actually treated as separate attacks (which they don't seem to be, as you get 1 stack of Weapon Master and 1 stack of SotS), then it would... still be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but at least a step in the right direction.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't mind the changes to slam. Don't nerf It anymore though.

The AP generation Nerf is the most frustrating thing though, (cept maybe after unstoppable bugging).
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • judicasjudicas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    love how i put up some stuff and it got deleted thx.
    edited August 2013
    Punishing Charge tested ~4% AP per target at 1,787k recovery.

Also bugs Deep Gash. You will proc 0 bleed damage. Easily repeatable in the Trade of Blades.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I noticed this too.

if you use Punishing Charge, the dot effect from the feat does 0 damage when its a critcal hit (Which is the only way to apply the dot ))
    edited September 2013
    Still waiting on the reverted change of AP per target on Roar.

In PVE it is crucial. When there is 10 mobs on the board and I am watching the other classes use two dailies while I am still working for my first is straight BS. Grats on letting TRs who have ranged, stealth, and a second helping of survivability also top single target and AOE dps.
    edited September 2013
    I am not asking for damage increase. I am only asking you to fix the following;
    1) AP per target returned or at least adjusted.
    2) Fix Deep Gash/Punishing Charge interaction. 0 bleed damage is not acceptable.
    3) Instigator capstone. Useless for soloing.
    4) Unstoppable bugging out when CCed during initial cast of Unstoppable.

Not asking for much. Just some quality of life improvements.

Side note: I want a straw hat skin and a two handed rake or two handed hoe skin.
    Nothing like running around looking like an innocent farmer until he hits you with a rake.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    this because they listen to the players ... My dream was to have a "roar" that does not generate ap and a "slam" that does not take damage. this because I am a destroyer, " a torrent of unfettered rage and anger that deals a crushing amount of damage no foe is likely to survive."
  • farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I'm shelfing my GWF now, Already put the AD into my DC in hope I actually get groups. Since the Glitches in MC have been fixed. 2 CW and 3 CW parties are getting jsut as common in MC as in CN. Nobody wants a GWF to fight Val and the Dragon. A GWF cannot threat control the Dragon like a GF can. Cannot single target DPS the dragon, Portals or adds like a TR can and cannot easily pop of val anywhere on the map like CW's can with Ice Knife. Since GWF have no instant charge other than Savage advance it is very hard for him to leave DPSing the dragon and hit val as fast as a TR can with there teleport encounter. And when he does he has no where near the same damage as a TR. So basically the Boss fight is so friggin hard that GWF are left out all the time.

As a GWF I'm 14k I out damage all but the Best CW's in AOE damage, I have never been out DPSed by another GWF that does nto horribly out gear me. I have even out DPSed some 15k GWF's. Well basically because they over stacked recovery for a high GS score.

I'm not asking for GWF to be the kings of all AOE damage,

All I'm asking is for GWF to have something essential to boss fights for MC and CN, something that all players would love to have in there group, like TR's Damage, CW's CC and Ranged Damage, GF's Tankiness and Conrtol or the DC's Healing.

Without that the GWF is dead and I'm Fuggin DONE with making threads to have constructive feed back. You have ignored every suggestion anyone has ever made about GWFs and killed the class to the ground. I await the 6th class that will completely spell the end to all GWF players even the really good players like myself that have toughed out the class for so long cannot survive a new DPS class being added to the game.
  • zuthuulzuthuul Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    From playing Neverwinter a lot and on all the different classes (mainly the GWF), my understanding of how each class should be, based on their fundamental mechanics, is as follows:

Great Weapons Fighter: when you think of this class, you think of slightly slower but much larger hits and a high damage output. My opinion is that this class should have a good survivability with very large and slow high damaging hits. I think about what the class wears and uses: scale armor (pretty strong, yet mobile armor) and huge axes or greatswords. This class should by far have the highest strength and thus the highest base damage out of any class. It should also have the ability to take on hordes of enemies and damage them ALL with each swing. Looking at scale armor, I believe it is the second strongest armor type out of the offered armors, and thus the class should have the second best survivability in the game. Regardless of paragon path, these extremely large, but slow hits over multiple enemies with a great survivability should be standard for a GWF.

Guardian Fighter: when I think of this class, I think of a tank. Not a tank in the standard MMO terminology, but a tank in warfare terminology. Unstoppable, hard (enough) hits, unkillable. This class wears plate, the strongest armor in the game and caries a sword and shield. This class should have flawless taunts. It should be slow moving and take next to no damage past its armor. This class should never be able to out dps any other class in this game, however, this class should never die. This class should also have a viable aoe approach (i.e. taunting and holding aggro for multiple enemies, damaging multiple enemies to keep their attention). This class should also be a major support role by buffing the allies on the group. I think this class should have three main priorities all reflected in skills: hold aggro, buff allies, deal secondary damage. In all other MMOs the tank class does just this. In Neverwinter, this class sometimes hits harder than GWF or TR. It just doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I love playing this class and PvPing with the knockbacks and prones.

Trickster Rogue: I think of a thief, ninja, or any sort of stealthy class when I look at the TR. This class wears leather and and uses dual daggers to deal damage. In no way should single attacks from this class (even with high crit) out damage a GWF (think about it, daggers vs. a gigantic sword. What do you think would hit harder?). I look at this class and think of well timed, precision strikes that do a lot of damage over time (i.e. bleeds, cripples, dazes, etc.) This class should rely on (IMO) the best mechanic in the game: stealth. The idea behind the class should be that it deals damage without building threat or being seen. It also should have the best escapability out of any class. It should be a lighting fast damage dealer that has smaller base hits, larger crit, more debuffs, and quick transitions to the attacks so that it has the highest sustained damage along with the misdirection of being a trickster. Again, don't get me wrong, I love to play as this class (executioner) for the devastating crits, but I just feel that Cryptic got the idea wrong with this class.

Control Wizard: This class needs to do what it's name is: Control. It does a good job of that, but honestly I think it deals too much damage. High damage magic should be left to mage class, not a controller. This class should have a focus more on holding down and disabling multiple enemies and debuffing them to the point where the other damaging classes can finish them off quickly. This class should be more of an annoyance and insurance policy than a devastating damager. IMO the class needs a damage nerf, but a CC buff so that durations are longer and there are more of them.

Devoted Cleric: This class got shafted from the get-go. It doesn't heal well and can't really do good damage. This class is the only healer in the game. In no way should a companion be able to out heal this class. I think this class needs a major rework to ensure a huge increase in healing. The mechanic of damaging enemies to fill up a bar so that you can actually heal is just plain stupid. That mechanic should be used to buff heals, not entirely enable them. I have to say, if built right, it has amazing survivability compared to its armor type, but with that build, the class becomes an objective holder in PvP where you can't deal damage, or heal, but can survive at a point long enough to have your team come back you up. It's useless. The name suggests it all. This class should first and foremost be a healer and a **** good one.

In summary, Cryptic really messed up on what these classes should be. What they implemented caused the balance issues in the first place, and if they actually made each class to what they were meant to be, I think there wouldn't have been balance issues and everyone would be happy.

I hope some people can agree with me here, but if not, I would love to hear your opinions on the matter.

Dragon Server

Ragnos Fireborn - 18.7k GWF Half-Elf
    Eva Darkblood - 13.8k TR Elf
    Venger Force of Evil - 13.7k CW Tiefling
    Azaghal Belegost - 16.5k GF Dwarf
    Drak'ar - 13.3k HR Drow
    Roghthar Darkspawn - 11.5k SW Human
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My opinion. Is that the DC. I see what they were trying to do with DC. But executed it not good enough. Same with GWF.

I think GF and CW are fine. And will improve with more paragon paths.

however GWF mostly need to get the core functions of this class corrected. No additional paragon classes will make this class better, only putting a bandaid over a cancerous tumor.
  • vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    *this thread is still here* lol
    Biggest Troll thread I've seen on the forum....
    edited September 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    The first issue we wanted to address was that Slam was simply too powerful, making Spinning Strike effectively obsolete. To resolve this, we made spinning strike more powerful (details below), and added some Utility to Slam at the cost of a bit of damage. The end result is that you get to select between damage and utility when slotting your daily power, rather than choosing between a damage power and a significantly-better damage power.
    The only result you managed to achieve is make Spinning Strike look less obsolete than it did before.
    Simple as that! Like 99% of GWF skills, it may serve a purpose in a specific situation now, such as dispatching a bunch of weak mobs faster than you would have with Slam + at-will spam.
    In ANY other situation, Slam looks like the better choice, because:
    - You don't lose stacks of Destroyer/Weapon Master with Slam, because you can use at-wills for the duration. You do with Spinning Strike, the moment it finishes its cast. Stupid bug or stupid design, it's stupid either way. True, it needs little time to rebuild, but is still lost potential in the stupidest of ways.
    - Targets don't lose Student of the Sword stacks, which benefit your entire party, with Slam, as again, you can use at-wills freely. You lose that debuff by the time Spinning Strike is done and have to stack it up all over again. The combined party DPS loss from this alone is enough to put the scales heavily in favor of Slam.
    - Once activated, Slam can't be interrupted, even if you're CC'd. With Spinning Strike, the "immunity to CC" doesn't apply to a bunch of mob skills in the game and can not only knock you around, but also interrupt your cast.

Balancing is fine. But make sure you make skills work properly in the first place!
  • tgnetblaisetgnetblaise Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You no I don't think the devs even play GWF, lol... They don't even relize why SLAm will always have the upperhand and why we as players are picking it... To be able to use/activate a ability and keep using other abilitys will always be better.... Every GWF will say this.. If all of us GWF just look at all the changes that you devs have made to this class we can tell you right off the bat that you do not no what your doing with this class... it is by far the worst DPS/AOE/Tank or what ever role you want to put it into...

When the GWF it first came out and was inline with all the other class's and there roles it shined and did its roll perfectly... A AOE killing machine. That is why you guys created this class in the first place... You looked at what class's you wanted in the game and roles they will play.. Then you looked at the dungeons and created encounters around them or the other way around... In every game all the class's have a role or spot to fill.. GW Tank, Cleric heals, Rogue Single target DPS, Mage Crowd Control (CC).... What do you think is missing here? WHo is in charge of AOEing everything? THE GWF... He is in charge of clearing all the adds... Why do you think back in beta beta and the early part of the game the GWF started out with AOE abilitys right from the start... Any player that made a new GWF and played it for 5mins knew that it is ment for Trash killing (AOE).. its very first ability is pretty much a AOE trash killing cleave.....

I don't no what happen to you devs from then to now but you have messed things up bad... You have forgotten the core mechanics of this game. You don't remember why you even have these class's and these Dungeons.... Every class is doing there job like they were created for but one and thats the GWF... You have stripped it of its role and Identity and are now just pushing it to the side. Devs you need to do a full over haul of the GWF or GO back to the basics of this class and go forward from there...

You have lost so many fans and players because of these mistakes...
  • hellratedhellrated Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    @tgnetblaise .. Amen man :)

Well, i only have one character (for now) It's a lvl 60 GWF. I love it, but c'mon people, whenever i go against a TR, CW or GF in pvp i feel like a joke, first of all our attacks are very slow!
    GWF is like a sitting duck for TR and CW, even with our "sprinting" we can't out run a TR or the attack range of a CW..
    Only good thing about GWF is the "Unstoppable" mode where we are at our most powerful state, and yet a TR can bring a GWF to it's knees just by using their "Shocking Execution" attack..

Ps, by the time i created this character the "slam" attack was nerfed.. I didn't even activate it, 'cause frankly, it sucks now, i have yet to see another GWF using it in PVP/PVE.. And who are we kidding with "Spinning Strike"? That attack was obsolete anyway after a GWF pick "Swordmaster" paragon path and unlock "Crescendo"..
    Now, 80% of the GWF i have seen are using the same 2 daily powers that i am using "Crescendo" and "Avalanche of Steel".. It's not like most have much of a choice any more...
    In-game Characters:
    Raba Leo - 16k GWF | Raba Dharma - 15.5k CW | Raba Chanda - 15k TR | Raba Karma - 14k HR
    PURE F2P, so far..