Install Arc

Good Combat System, Bad Everything Else

2»

Comments

• soundmonitorsoundmonitor Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    What shard do you play on?

Same advise I gave before. Join a guild and make friends.

I am in a guild with friends that some are 60 and others that are almost 60, so the people that are 60 2-3 have to wait a **** long time to complete the group, or we spam LFG and still wait a **** long time to fill in the spots because people wont do dungeons unless its DD time. I also tried to force invite people to the party via the find friends, guess what nobody does dungeons unless it's DD time or we run the exploit run.
  • ianmentat1ianmentat1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Same advise I gave before. Join a guild and make friends.

Don't know if you're trolling or not.

I'm lucky enough to have found a great, active guild. But many of the OP's points aren't really affected by the guild participation; there's still no raid content, the currency is a mess, the queuing system is sub-par (even if you're in a guild, sometimes you'll still need to PuG depending on the hour, etc.). Simply responding "join a guild" addresses only a part of his complaints and even then it's not very helpful.

In fact, I really don't get where that sort of glib response could come from other than lazy trolling. Do people genuinely believe that everything in NW is peachy, that there are no problems and that the status quo is always OK?

I'm personally on the fence about NW. I want to like it, I want to put some money into it, but it's reeeeally hard to feel like I'll get a good return (e.g., OK, I've got a better GS - still nothing to do). Real Dev responses to the OP concerns would go a long way to assuaging my doubts.
  • thegreatashtreethegreatashtree Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Funny - the OP and I played EQ2 in top guilds for 5 years. Eventually, healer DPS was improved with epics, though the fury was always good and eventually became too much of a caster with heals.
  • marlzmarlz Member Posts: 102
    edited August 2013
    Funny - the OP and I played EQ2 in top guilds for 5 years. Eventually, healer DPS was improved with epics, though the fury was always good and eventually became too much of a caster with heals.

i forgot about those week long epic n epic buff quests, ty for the reminder, i shall not bother to make a beast lord there now =D
    (ex raiding assassin from unrest)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    raid content... they've already said they have no current plans to include this. if this is a deal breaker for you, move on. you can't really complain to toyota that their mini-van would be so much better if it had a jacuzzi option. if you think they should be more up front with their future plans or communicate more... have you been through these forums? devs and other company individuals respond all the time. problem is, it's usually not what players like you want to hear. it's not the answer to "when's the new class coming" or "can you change BoP back to BoE"... and so then threads like this get created.

this game really is a great game. it's not perfect but it most certainly has incredible potential. but you have to understand that no company is going to release future content information in great detail and most of the time not until it's ready to go live. i mean, there is a preview shard where you can go check out the next patch before it goes live. those patch notes are posted as well.

as for DD and BoP... what i really can't get my head around is that the devs have addressed issues and have fixed bugs and have made changes within this game... which to me says that if something they changed doesn't work, then they will eventually change it again. if the game doesn't suit you based on those changes... hey... it's free to play. if you spend money hoping that it's going to get better... you could buy the best gear, best enchants, the best companion for your class, the best mount, all epic professions assets and you'll have essentially bought yourself into boredom. how is this game fun at all if you're not working toward something? ymmv, for sure.

with the new BoP patch, we also got a new daily from lord neverember that pays double what rhix pays. we got the salvager. with this change, perhaps the devs wanted to see what kind of rough AD amounts people are going to rack up before they change the daily refine limit. you cannot possibly expect any company to divulge private internal information of how they operate or about a product or service they provide. if people have a problem with this mentality, it's not like this is a new policy sweeping gaming companies or any company for that matter.

that said, it's disheartening to see someone get so upset over a game when all you really have to do is uninstall and move on to bigger and better things.
  • grimah1grimah1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I dont get it, you complain that guilds are useless then complain that you cant find random queue/pugs? why dont you join a guild to do get these groups?
  • glyphics84glyphics84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    squells wrote: »
    So many morons....if u dont like the game dont play it...Simple no??

Thanks for the advice, but I've already started playing Dragon's Prophet and it has everything this game doesn't, and then some, and then some more on top of that (flying mounts, good voice overs, dragons, titty customization, what more could you ask for?)
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank for the feedback, everyone!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    glyphics84 wrote: »
    This is going to be long, so you probably can skip it, but I'm fuming and I gotta get it out.

This game sucks... it's terrible.
    I dont think the game sucks, the combat alone and the level progression are retentive, however its where the retention ends (based on most conversations/Feedback) everyone ive spoken too says endgame is Lvl 60 thats where the game ends, Im not sure if its the port over from the co-oprpg to mmo, but its like the co-oprpg is the fun part whilst the mmo fails to unite everything else about the game.
    You didn't add a progressive raid system, making guilds useless, instead you add a boring solo progression that is tedious and more of the same killing and collecting quests.
    Gauntlgrym i am yet to get there myself See post below. Id prefer they stick with the DD system, however id like to see there end game change to different DD to get T1-T2 rather than rerun same dungeon with more adds and more hp on boss
    You took away DD loot drops and made them BoP
    I dont mind this, stops the P2Win syndrome, and hopefully would make crafting your own gear worthwhile, only problem is devs have had this game @r$e about face when slapping it together.
    However FINAL END boss LEWTS should be BoE, 1st and 2nd boss BoP
    This is how my experience has gone. I started out the game, new and hopeful. The combat system seemed fresh, and the reimagined class roles were inspired. The Cleric is very battle oriented, the Tank is immune to damage when timed correctly, the CW can AE or push, the GWF can rush around and dance with his sword, the TR can sneak, pull, and do some great single target damage. "Great!", I thought, a game with a sort of FPS approach to combat, this should be fun. And it was, it was fun leveling up the first time, decently fun the second time, repetitive the third, fourth and fifth, but that's normal for MMOs. The crafting system is unique. Set it and forget it, check it online and such. Another fun feature. So far, so good. I tend to not group until I have a good hold on a game, because I hate being a bother to others, so I leveled up to 60 on all classes and started off to find a guild to learn zones with and get the best of the best gear.

I started with my CW, I sat in PE for hours looking for a guild and I found one. Peak time they had 6 players on, never got a group with them and sat in queues for hours. Moved on from there to another guild. Peak time they had 11 players, I grouped with them once and it went well, but the next week turned up 0 groups and no more than 5 online at a time. The third guild, same, fourth same, fifth same, sixth same... I advertised daily, for hours, looking for an active guild. Nothing.

There is a reason for this. Guilds have no use. There are no daily, weekly, monthly raids where everyone needs to come together. You only need 4 friends and nothing else. There is no need to gear up your weak links because you need them to raid, they just sit there and get no groups, no gear, no use.

So I have trouble gearing up, getting experience (which is 100% necessary to group at this point), and progressing.
    Pretty much sums up my experience as well, trying to find a good guild is a biggie, player retention is responsible for this being based on endgame is how its being explained to me, ive divided up all my toons into 4 different guilds atm interntational, and am still suffering the same issues.
    2 being aussie has its problems based on playerbase who's on and when, again not the games fault i spose just comes down to finding the right guild, which seems to be a needle in haystack atm. There doesn't seem to be much activity Aussie wise that i can find
    I figure I'll give the GWF a try, little did I know that groups just don't really care for them unless they have 13k+ GS. Fine, I get it, hybrid classes always suffer in MMOs, and since there is no off-tanking or any sort of raid use for them, GWF is pointless.
    I dont believe so, in the runs im in i always seem to be in the top killer/dps, however since the class nerfs im unsure of how the GWf still performs, been playing my CW because of the Tab bug.
    So I'll move on, I try the DC. It's fun, probably the best cleric class I've ever played. Even with weak gear you can keep a group up. You get groups through the queue system fairly easily. I played dungeon after dungeon, hour after hour, just in queue'd groups. What did this get me? Not a single thing. Not a single drop. Why? Because queue groups often fail because of a single weak link which can't be replaced, so they drop or they pull fake chests, or they do whatever they do to ruin the game and you never finish a dungeon.

So what do you do at this point? I'm still interested in progressing and being a better player. I whip out the wallet, I become a founder, I buy some Zen, I get some stones, I get 4 characters geared up around 10k GS, I look up builds, I study strats, I get everything in order to be a productive group member using my REAL money. What does this get me? Some shiny **** that's about it. The queue system still puts me with idiots, the guild system still is pointless, the crafting system yields no real rewards, solo questing is pretty friggin pointless.

Well, an expansion is coming this will ALL get fixed! Right? Wrong. It's worse. BOP screws anyone trying to get some cheap purple gear, which is basically required to get the groups that will actually get you the T2+ loot drops. It's harder to get groups, guilds are dropping like flies, PVP is pointless, GG is boring.
    Its interesting you say that the cleric class is the best, i enjoy playing it but most players i speak to feel its the worst. Cleric that doesnt heal ect, its like no one is supposed to chug a pot when in danger of health falling below a certain amount. T1-T2 worse cos you have to chug 30-60 pots per DD. I just dont get that some dont realise that are suppose to gear for an epic, and people dont bring pots or heal kits
    First and foremost, make it so we can add people to our group if the current players aren't cutting it. This will make EVERYONE happy. Second, eliminate Dungeon Delves and just give us a BoP chest at the end.

Yes adding people to DD would be advantageous, so many times abandoned as 1 time fail on end boss = quit for some.

Currency, is no biggie for me, but again so many can be confusing for new player base. however hving a seal trader to swap seals for other seals would be good. Adding guild repository's with Gold so rather than AD would be better.

Add GUILD HOUR which could allow another DD or skirmish run between the hours of the day, add another aspect to guild use.

Ping is killing me and aussie friends based on movement 220-260 for T2's way before this new mod came in and introduced the lagmonster
  • wifeaggro13wifeaggro13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited August 2013
    The game is horrible its an obvious attempt to grb as much cash with the IP and move on. Its simply bad at every angle P2W. they should have kept this a small co op game with the foundry left in. its simply the worst example of F2P and even worse example of a MMO
  • glyphics84glyphics84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Thank for the feedback, everyone!

Thanks for reading, sorry for the terribly pessimistic tone, but a lot of personal time and hard earned money went into this game and I had high hopes for it. Maybe if the game gets a bit more user friendly I will give it another go.
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for reading, sorry for the terribly pessimistic tone, but a lot of personal time and hard earned money went into this game and I had high hopes for it. Maybe if the game gets a bit more user friendly I will give it another go.

Great post and pretty spot on with the issues this game is dealing with at the moment. I agree that at some point if those issues are fixed this game could really be a great game.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • jalsheckjalsheck Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok, well first I just want to say I'm new to the game. And when I say new, I mean that I have only one character and I'm level 16. I'm a casual player. And that being said, I've been looking forward to this game the moment it was 'rumored.' I'm a fan of the NWN series and the other D&D games (BG, IWD etc.) I've been playing MMOs since Ultima Online and I have always been a casual player. I've never really did any raiding in other MMOs, it just wasn't my thing. And I read this entire thread and a lot of it has to do with end game. But what I'm confused about is that no one really mentioned the foundry. As a roleplayer, that to me sounds like 'end game'. Exploring the campaigns and worlds that people have taken their time in creating. Raiding, in the MMO sense, just doesn't seem to fit D&D. When playing D&D how often do you have 10 people sitting at the table playing? Typically you have 3-5 players and a DM. And you're not playing to get 'epic loot', you're playing because you want to be thrown into a world that a DM has created and you want to explore and expand that world (and crush a few skulls along the way). To be honest I haven't looked into the foundry to see what it is like to create a campaign so I don't know if there are limitations or how it works exactly. But I did play a foundry game the other day just to test it out. And I loved it. It was great to explore every nook and cranny of the areas and take my time with the NPCs. The DM wants the player to explore and see what he/she has created. They spent time creating that campaign so you could explore and not just speed through to the end just so you can open a chest. To me that's what 'end game' is all about in Neverwinter. I get to create a campaign that I want to share with my friends and others. It is just the same as if we were playing D&D at my kitchen table. I wouldn't want someone there who is going to interrupt me as I'm describing the setting /world by saying, "Hurry up man, I just want to kill some stuff and get this over with. I have five more dungeons to hit up after this one." But maybe I'm wrong, like I said I am still very new to this game.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    jalsheck wrote: »
    Ok, well first I just want to say I'm new to the game. And when I say new, I mean that I have only one character and I'm level 16. I'm a casual player. And that being said, I've been looking forward to this game the moment it was 'rumored.' I'm a fan of the NWN series and the other D&D games (BG, IWD etc.) I've been playing MMOs since Ultima Online and I have always been a casual player. I've never really did any raiding in other MMOs, it just wasn't my thing. And I read this entire thread and a lot of it has to do with end game. But what I'm confused about is that no one really mentioned the foundry. As a roleplayer, that to me sounds like 'end game'. Exploring the campaigns and worlds that people have taken their time in creating. Raiding, in the MMO sense, just doesn't seem to fit D&D. When playing D&D how often do you have 10 people sitting at the table playing? Typically you have 3-5 players and a DM. And you're not playing to get 'epic loot', you're playing because you want to be thrown into a world that a DM has created and you want to explore and expand that world (and crush a few skulls along the way). To be honest I haven't looked into the foundry to see what it is like to create a campaign so I don't know if there are limitations or how it works exactly. But I did play a foundry game the other day just to test it out. And I loved it. It was great to explore every nook and cranny of the areas and take my time with the NPCs. The DM wants the player to explore and see what he/she has created. They spent time creating that campaign so you could explore and not just speed through to the end just so you can open a chest. To me that's what 'end game' is all about in Neverwinter. I get to create a campaign that I want to share with my friends and others. It is just the same as if we were playing D&D at my kitchen table. I wouldn't want someone there who is going to interrupt me as I'm describing the setting /world by saying, "Hurry up man, I just want to kill some stuff and get this over with. I have five more dungeons to hit up after this one." But maybe I'm wrong, like I said I am still very new to this game.

"Your passionate kid" in my best han solo voice, no offense either on the kid part. nice post, but foundry is there to help u level up as well, i found myself with a warning i wasnt ready for the next area based on xp, so cranked out a few foundrys. My thoughts are foundry is there whenever you want it, problem is I dont really want it, im not a builder im a player. I get what your saying and around the table it works but it just doesnt hold me for mine on a screen, also its just a aways of getting ad's and i dont need ad's to survive most folks need boundless fresh content with replayability.
    welcome to neverwinter btw ;)
  • remorselordremorselord Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree with some of the points that the OP listed, but I think being part of a guild is still better than not having one. Considering that if you show the effort to be an active member, majority of the guilds out there are more than likely to accept you and raid with you regardless of your class or gearscore. I think the real issue here is not the people that you party with but the difficulty of epic dungeons in this game. With every update it seems bosses are spawning more adds and taking longer to complete with a decently geared group. I myself have 12k+ gs and I tend to party with people with the same GS and gearscore and we sometimes still fail to complete a dungeon. I have never played a game where a geared group fails again and again after multiple tries. I think the difficulty vs reward is a true reason why majority of the playerbase exploits and tends to avoid as much content as possible. I completely do not support exploiters or abusers of content but the time it takes to complete a dungeon is incredibly long for a reward that is bound and not to mention a chance of not even getting a reward. If the dungeons were to be easier to do, I could almost bet that there would be more players doing dungeons the legit way.

Aside from the dungeons, the ability to exchange gold for astral diamonds would have been a great way for making the currency that majority of players use. Right now the only way for making AD is doing dailies, buying zen -> AD, or selling items from dungeons. Ever since Feywild went live, the AH prices have skyrocketed to a point that I can't even buy basic gear for my secondary character. I can't send or trade AD to a character who is on another account which makes gearing nearly impossible to do without starting over from scratch or spending zen. BoP really messed up the market, and the only people profiting are the same people who abused the system before the patch. The same people who run CN and other dungeons using exploits and bugs to farm their items. At the end of the day those people haven't suffered one bit, and more like profiting more than ever.

The true penalty is on the new and old players who played the content the legal way without using exploits. This is the group of people that is getting the end of the stick for the issues that never got resolved in the first place. Permastealth is still possible, and there are people still doing some dungeon bosses solo. When will this be resolved?

As far as the Foundry goes, it is still by far the best user creation system out there. With authors releasing new content, the Foundry provides players with something to do that is different from daily dungeons. Granted that majority of players do the same quick foundry levels over and over each day, there are still some of us that enjoy playing immerse content.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The Foundry can help you level up, but that is not really what it is there for. You do not need to be a builder to enjoy the Foundry. You can get the fresh content with replayability by playing what other players have created. The Foundry is meant to add a layer of end-game for non-authoring players, to put into the mix of PvP and Dungeon runs. You can only get AD from Foundry missions if you you pick that as one of your dailies, otherwise the missions are there just for you enjoy as a player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The prices for purple items have risen dramatically, but the prices for blue items has tanked. Most blue items are sell between 150 to 450 AD. You see some more expensive than that, but those are the ones that have posted at the AH suggested price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hendy74000hendy74000 Banned Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    overwrite an enchantment on another is allowed? nothing is said about it I will not want exploited a flaw in the system :confused:
    edited August 2013
    jalsheck wrote: »

I have played paper and pencil D&D 2nd edition with my brother and a few close friends in the past. We played for years, and we created our own worlds. I understand where you are coming from, but being a former Neverwinter Nights player I can tell you that player created zones pale in comparison to player created, moderated, and run *worlds* with active player DMs. The foundry is lacking an essential basic component that is the difference between its success and failure, and that is creator/player interactions, and player determined loot. Something that could boost foundry success would be a GM approval system that would have a GM run it once, and grade it, and the grade would determine the chest loot at the end. This would allow for potentially purple drops from Foundry questing.
  • optik76optik76 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wish the Free to Play model would pass on already, I know it won't and some games do a decent job at it. I think if it was subscription based though they would actually try to correct the things in game we have complained about for ages now because if it didn't the game would shrivel up and become a memory. I really love the potential of this game, but besides leveling up one of each class and getting the best gear score I could on each of them I'm fairly bored and usually just run in circles for a few minutes then log because there really isn't anything left to do.
    edited August 2013
    The foundry is lacking an essential basic component that is the difference between its success and failure, and that is creator/player interactions, and player determined loot. Something that could boost foundry success would be a GM approval system that would have a GM run it once, and grade it, and the grade would determine the chest loot at the end. This would allow for potentially purple drops from Foundry questing.

Nice:cool:
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    T
    If you want to fix your game, fix grouping, fix guilds, and add raid content. REAL raid content. Not this "everyone should be able to do it" mentality that most games seem to have, but the old "if you aren't hardcore, you aren't making it past the door" ****. Bring it back. Make this game exciting for all players. Or at least those who can make it past the door. elitist jerks only need apply

First and foremost, make it so we can add people to our group if the current players aren't cutting it. This will make EVERYONE happy.except he people who are cut Second, eliminate Dungeon Delves and just give us a BoP chest at the end. Some people can't play during DD, and grouping is 100% pointless when it isn't a DD.agreed. premades seem to be the only groups doing and finsihing DD Third, give guilds a reason to gear up their crappy players, put in a few raid zones with 4 group content. Fourth, get rid of about 499 of the 503 currencies in the game. You only need 2 or 3, store currency, in game and MAYBE AD. oh god, yes. cut down on the currencies. The rest is just too much. Fourth, make things account bound, and if you can work out how to transfer acct bound items between characters I want to know. You can't mail them. and we don't have hideout(acct) banks like in Champions.and stop restricting how people spend their time. If I want to farm on my CW for my DC I should be able to.and everyone else can farm for their alt/companion/friends/SG/AH/etc as well. That's why it got changed, because of all the people NEEDING things which were for other classes.

Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    optik76 wrote: »
    wish the Free to Play model would pass on already, I know it won't and some games do a decent job at it. I think if it was subscription based though they would actually try to correct the things in game we have complained about for ages now because if it didn't the game would shrivel up and become a memory. I really love the potential of this game, but besides leveling up one of each class and getting the best gear score I could on each of them I'm fairly bored and usually just run in circles for a few minutes then log because there really isn't anything left to do.
    pretty much it. F2P means Free to pay, as many items as they can think up.
    Subs based games required players to be happy and have lots ot do. F2P just requires a stream of people with wallets and low willpower
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • furion192furion192 Member Posts: 187 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I totally agree with this thread, he said everything I don't like about the game, srsly everything... Excellent combat system, but everything is an utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> when you reach lvl 60. It's srsly not fun anymore
    SIGNATURE