test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Feedback] Neverwinter Audio-related Feedback

Comments

• brethrenambrethrenam Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can you guys polease make an options seperate to all audio options to mute pet/mount noises Would be a great QoL fix
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    combat sounds repeat too much, so I run without sound. Its an ongoing dislike with most mmos, though ... I understand that people like noises but after about 10 min of the same 5 sounds I cant take it anymore.
  • dornodiosmiosdornodiosmios Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, the howler noises and cat meow's need to be lowered in volume greatly or made MUCH MUCH less frequent.

One of the most annoying things in the game is standing at the auctioneer with someone nearby on their howler mount. So you have to either mute the sound or reach over and turn it down. Turning it down causes you to miss the other sounds you actually want to hear though.
  • theangrysteeltheangrysteel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The changes to the Panther both audio and visual are horrible. Please take away the new animation and whatever the sound is...Elephant mating call, Donkey with a throat problem...Its more annoying than words can convey.

Honestly I would be more than happy if it just sat there silent, even the old sitting and grooming was annoying, sort of disappointed, like buying an oversized housecat.

Also second a slider or mute option for all companions.
  • goodbunnygirlgoodbunnygirl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My soundcard is dead but as i connect to my monitor with a HDMI cable i used to get my sound through the monitor, since the update i have no sound, it definately decreases the immersiveness of the game.
  • deknodekno Member Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    i hate my companions step sound running after me when im riding my mount
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like most of the audio, although the npc chat is a bit irritating after a while ("I want to be the foremost expert on blah blah"... That's nice dear...). The Scottish accents for the dwarves in The Whispering Caverns are genuinely terrible though. I know all Dwarves are Scottish, but not all your voice over guys can do the accent yet :D Please, please, please stop them. Pleeeeeaaassee!
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • susurrusssusurruss Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have a serious issue with dog companions. I have both the regular dog and the orc dog companions, and they are the same in this case. Whenever I am mounted and going along, I will hear near-constant dog sounds!!! I'll have a short period of silence, then "grrrrrgrowlgrrrgrowlgrrrgrowl.." etc ad nauseum. It is so bad I dismiss my pet when I have to go long distance, which is a bummer when I have an unexpected encounter. It doesn't happen with any other type of companion that I am familiar with (human-types).
  • kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    susurruss wrote: »
    I have a serious issue with dog companions. I have both the regular dog and the orc dog companions, and they are the same in this case. Whenever I am mounted and going along, I will hear near-constant dog sounds!!! I'll have a short period of silence, then "grrrrrgrowlgrrrgrowlgrrrgrowl.." etc ad nauseum. It is so bad I dismiss my pet when I have to go long distance, which is a bummer when I have an unexpected encounter. It doesn't happen with any other type of companion that I am familiar with (human-types).

Galeb Duhr's stony footsteps can be heard when riding the mount as well, but it's a quiet enough sound that it doesn't bother me. The direwolf companion does not seem to make a lot of noise when I am mounted, but I will try the skeleton dog later tonight.
    qtPt2I
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Here's one that I forget about when I'm in Protector's Enclave because nobody there stays injured for long, but the sound of the Lillend's healing chord or whatever the ability is that heals the owner is absolutely horrible, nails-on-chalkboard aggravating. And it repeats on a short constant loop if a wounded player decides to go shopping in an adventure zone, or heaven forbid AFKs while not standing in the campfire.

The main quest-giver past the Banshee Gate in Feywild (forget his name, sorry) has very strange voice-acting. I can understand these elves having an accent, but his enunciation actually makes him sound like a computer-generated voice message.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited August 2013
    I will second (or third, at this point) that the "heal my owner" sound for the Lillend is pretty bad. It wouldn't be bad if it were a rare sound, but hearing it (literally) about once per second, it really starts to grate on the nerves. All the rest of the sounds are so wonderful, why is that one sound so bad?

And apologies to the person I disagreed with regarding the Lillend sounds. I hadn't experienced the "here, let me heal you every second" sound yet.
    qtPt2I
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A few comments on audio in NW:

1. There are several areas where sound seems to significantly drop in volume, or stop completely... this is irksome because I keep thinking that something's wrong...

2. I would like to see enemies get a few more lines when you first aggro them... having a whole group shout "you will burn in hellfire" or what have you, for every group, gets old quick.

3. Baldur's gate offered a small selection of voices for our characters - it's weird to have a female half-orc sound the same as a female halfling.

4. You guys really need to do something about people spamming the various noises the mounts make when you tap the spacebar - it's annoying and can be used to grief others.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • taurioncelebritheltaurioncelebrithel Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What was recently (as in last 24 hours) done to combat and mount sounds? If they've been disabled as a 'fix' to howler sounds or mount sound spamming, then it's not much of a fix. I wont be playing until this is fixed properly and can hear what's going on in combat again. Period.
  • exarkun007exarkun007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 113 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The spot in CN just past the traps but before the doorway, in the circular corridor where mobs spawn behind you, I lose all game sound there.
  • spirals999spirals999 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Companions should not be triggering their antic audio (Growling, yawning, etc...) While running behind a mounted player. This issue is being looked into and will be fixed in upcoming patches. We apologize for the aggravation.
    bioshrike wrote: »
    A few comments on audio in NW:

1. There are several areas where sound seems to significantly drop in volume, or stop completely... this is irksome because I keep thinking that something's wrong...

It would be very helpful if you could give us locations where this occurs consistently. If you enter an area and sound drops or lowers in volume, try going back and see if the problem persists. If it does, report the exact location so that we can try and reproduce the issue. Thanks for looking out.
  • philmanpwphilmanpw Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Would be nice if the dogs (regular, skeletal, orc, wolf) would not trigger their audio as frequently even when not running behind a mounted player. or give us an option to disable these audio sounds from all companions. it can be quite annoying just standing around the AH in protectors enclave.
  • pipetstebepipetstebe Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I always have problems switching from my speakers to my headset in game audio it never switch's properly
  • greeniewolf0greeniewolf0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 83
    edited September 2013
    spirals999 wrote: »
    It would be very helpful if you could give us locations where this occurs consistently. If you enter an area and sound drops or lowers in volume, try going back and see if the problem persists. If it does, report the exact location so that we can try and reproduce the issue. Thanks for looking out.

For me, this happens a lot in any Sharandar area and in the festival grounds. It isn't an all the time thing, and so far I haven't been able to pinpoint a trigger.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Since yesterday's patch, in the Festival area I am constantly hearing the sound that indicates a contest counter is incrementing, whether or not I'm taking part in a contest, and even (I think) if the area is in between contests. It's like the sound has been tied to taking any action at all, like opening an interface screen.

I'm not spending a lot of time outside that zone at the moment, but I'll check it out to see if it happens anywhere else.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    exarkun007 wrote: »
    The spot in CN just past the traps but before the doorway, in the circular corridor where mobs spawn behind you, I lose all game sound there.

^^this. Though, I would not describe it as "just" past the traps. It is well past the traps at the other end of the long circular corridor.

I believe I have also had this happened once just before the Feywild patch during regular Grey Wolf Den in one of the two rooms trash rooms before the final boss. But I cannot confirm this since I have not run it often.

Otherwise I have no complaints with the sound in this game because the Cat companion, my only other complaint, was fixed.
  • devocutdevocut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What was recently (as in last 24 hours) done to combat and mount sounds? If they've been disabled as a 'fix' to howler sounds or mount sound spamming, then it's not much of a fix. Period.

Something similar has recently began happening to me. The combat sounds will occasionally turn off, although briefly (1-2 secs). The same for the mount when riding. It doesn't matter what area I am in.

The problem began this week some time.
  • konalakonala Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Acolyte of Kelemvor - she might be the hardest working companion in all of Neverwinter. With her shield ability on a 4s cooldown she is always applying it making both the animation and sound (especially the sound) extremely repetitive and tiresome.

I would love to see this ability turned in to a passive buff or have the sound removed and animation turned to something more subtle.
    edited September 2013
    EBON DOWNS - that daggum "you're ready to invoke" sound going off all the time drives me batty.
    edited September 2013
    EBON DOWNS - that daggum "you're ready to invoke" sound going off all the time drives me batty.

Ditto, and it's been bugged for months! I avoid that zone as much as possible because of the bug.
    qtPt2I
  • spirals999spirals999 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Hmm. I wasn't able to reproduce this. Could you please be a little more specific about location, your level and what you're doing as well as your invocation state when you notice this error?

Also, could you please describe the error you are noticing in more detail?

Thank you.
    edited September 2013
    Hmm. I wasn't able to reproduce this. Could you please be a little more specific about location, your level and what you're doing as well as your invocation state when you notice this error?

Also, could you please describe the error you are noticing in more detail?

Thank you.

Wandering around the zone on my Cleric, the "Ahhhh" [Heavenly 'you can invoke now'] sound randomly happens. It might happen 2 seconds after the previous, or 15, or 30. It doesn't matter if I'm in combat or not. I can just be standing there, perfectly still, and it happens. Sorry, I know that's not helpful. I nearly always have a pet out, and I'm almost always wearing a vanity costume. It happens solo and on teams. I can hear it but a teammate did not.

Edit: I am uploading a video to demonstrate. It's still uploading now, but it will be here somewhere before midnight eastern (Friday night/Saturday morning). It only happened 4 times in 24 minutes, which is odd because it's usually more frequent.
    qtPt2I
    edited September 2013
    There is a quest in Ebon Downs which makes this noise - think it is the one about praying over the bone piles. Maybe the frequency of the sound depends upon the number of people doing this quest at the moment. Just a guess.
    edited September 2013
    There is a quest in Ebon Downs which makes this noise - think it is the one about praying over the bone piles. Maybe the frequency of the sound depends upon the number of people doing this quest at the moment. Just a guess.

That's exactly what it was. Thank you kwsapphire for uploading the video and thank you Susurruss for the tip about the quest. We've tracked this down and hopefully a fix should go out with an upcoming patch.

Thanks!
    edited September 2013
    That's exactly what it was. Thank you kwsapphire for uploading the video and thank you Susurruss for the tip about the quest. We've tracked this down and hopefully a fix should go out with an upcoming patch.

Thanks!

Woohoo! Thank you Susurruss and Sprials!! :D
    qtPt2I
    edited September 2013
    Hooray!!! My hero!!! :D