test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Well, Lookee What I Got... :(

docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
Look what I received in my in-game mail over the weekend:

Feedback_zps425e9936.jpg

Of course, I'm sorry that the player's system had trouble with an FX from the Foundry (the mist one that creates the "fog" effect), but it's just one FX placed on the map, plus whatever local lighting and such is used.

And, of course, I'm sorry the player got stuck in an object. After over 2800 plays, nobody else has ever complained about it, and I certainly couldn't reproduce the problem myself. Then again, I've had random moments in Neverwinter when I found myself knocked back into a tree or a rock or whatever. That /stuck command works wonders. (And, I suppose, the /killme command is always available, which would have put the player at the campfire right outside the boss room so that the adventure could be quickly completed.)

I guess what surprises me is the attitude of players toward the Foundry. After all, Authors aren't being paid to create content for this game other than whatever tips we receive from other players. It can take hundreds of hours to create a really quality Foundry adventure with a lot of visual detail, story, and balance. You'd think by now that players would understand that Authors can't control the loot. We can't manually bend the sparkling trail. We can't create boss encounters. We can't do lots of stuff... including fixing the bugs in the game. (Maps full of giant trees, anyone? Ships with odd clipping planes that used to work just fine? Teleports that result in show-stopping incomplete adventures?)

To think that someone would take the time to send me an in-game email (and attach a junk piece of cloth scrap to it... to make a point or something?), drop an expletive (spelled just so to bypass the profanity filter), and all of that kind of floors me.

Of course, the adventure still sits comfortably between 4-5 stars, despite a round of 1-star bot-bombing not long after publication, so it seems most other players enjoy it. And I'm really doing the Foundry stuff because I find it fun, and because I enjoy sharing my work and the work of others, so 1 person's nasty message doesn't diminish that.

It's just that... well... ya know...
Post edited by docsc00ter on

Comments

• karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Laugh at it sc00t, that's all it deserves.

Shame we don't have a C.O.D mail service in game :mad:
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Don't get discouraged scooter,

This is a free to play MMO so all of the asshats around the world can log in behind their internet wall of obscurity and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on players hard work with minimal effort.
    I too, after my first publication had some ******* threaten my life and that of my family for no real reason other than to create waves.
    There is no one forcing them to play our content, it's just that jerk off's and ill educated people make up 90% of the gaming community, I again, stand by my idea to block certain players IP from ever being able to play any content from our @handle ever again.
    As hard as it is to look the other way and not get all Jay and Silent Bob on them, and trust me I have been there, just look at how many people did enjoy your content in comparison instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've had people wish death upon me and my family in reviews too. Just ignore them, comforting yourself with the fact that no matter how bad things get, no matter how bleak life may seem, at least you're not them.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    I've had people wish death upon me and my family in reviews too. Just ignore them, comforting yourself with the fact that no matter how bad things get, no matter how bleak life may seem, at least you're not them.

^Truth^
    /10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Seriously? Death wishes?

Bwa ha ha ha! That's just so sad it's hilarious!

And, yeah, like I said, "one person's nasty message doesn't diminish" my fun. It just kind of caught me off guard.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, you should report death threats. Those are almost certainly violations of TOS...
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Well, you should report death threats. Those are almost certainly violations of TOS...

I most certainly did :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    docsc00ter wrote: »
    And, yeah, like I said, "one person's nasty message doesn't diminish" my fun.
    Wear it as a point of pride.
  • agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A fun thing we started doing on Scribes' Enclave is posting screenshots of glowing 5-star reviews and useless 1-star reviews when they appear back-to-back. Pretty funny when you look at the extreme opposite reactions like tha
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't take that as an insult to be honest. He said he was having fun, then was just venting because he couldn't complete it. To be fair he has botherd to tell you the problems he found probably hoping you would fix it. However bad his comments are if you read between the lines it's not that bad, he's not being abusive. He's not to know the problems at the moment.

all in all, he has had a rant because he couldn't complete something he was enjoying.
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, honestly that is a bouquet of flowers compared to some of the nonsense I have received. Welcome to the club, I almost want to say that we need a new achievement added to the foundry author achievements. Number of hateful reviews received.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    docsc00ter wrote: »
    Look what I received in my in-game mail over the weekend:

Feedback_zps425e9936.jpg

Fps lag caused by fog... The person would probably kill his/her computer by playing my map. :rolleyes:

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Sometimes I have to wonder if the forum moderators or the authors have to deal with worse behavior, haha.

It's been said to no end...
    But a hearty laugh is the best thing to do when you face such situations. :)
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Hey Sc00t, a thought occurred to me. Maybe he posted the 'junk' as an indicator of whether you received his letter. As we don't have a cross-server postal service, I assume it would have been redirected back to him as it contains an item (and maybe not if it didn't?).
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Honestly, that e-mail is down right friendly! It gets much much worse than that :P
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    Ah... I remember my first threat... It was from a player in the STO forums who was very unhappy with a specific texture I made for the game.

Welcome to the game industry folks! ;)
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ah... I remember my first threat... It was from a player in the STO forums who was very unhappy with a specific texture I made for the game.

We miss you over there though Map, and the lights that we still really need too :D
    (and the chromakey objects ;) )
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I remember one of my threats... I suggested someone have carnal relations with a table.
    Man, he was a dirtbag. Kept deriding authors as Foundry elitists who were ruining Foundry because Cryptic were their slaves.
    I just... snapped.

Someday maybe they'll let me post on STO forums again.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I've never been threatened in this game. I've been threatened and called racial slurs a lot of times on SC2 for trolling people on there in 1v1 games.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like he needs a better computer.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    At least he cared enough about your quest to take the time to write that long e-mail to you. :P
  • lysendroslysendros Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I sympathise completely.

I mostly publish maps for RP, I like putting time and effort into surroundings and visuals, and generally making a fun environment for me, my Guild, and other players as a whole to roleplay in if they wish, and I make a point of saying "PLEASE NOTE, THIS MAP IS BUILT FOR RP, AND WILL NOT COUNT TOWARDS YOUR DAILY FOUNDRY" in big bold letters in the description of every foundry, but I still get junk from people saying "there's no quest, where's the quest? are you just bad at this?"

I know how sickening it can be, because people think its funny without sparing a second to think about the effect they might be having on other people.
    I don't know why I deserve that kind of slander, I'm not trying to make a quest, just a fun map that people might roleplay in, so its unfortunate that the world is full of people who just want to take a massive dump on your work.

But to actually be sent hate mail? I hope you hit the report button more than once on this guy...
  • brazilianbraidbrazilianbraid Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2013
    My quest description says it is a hard quest and that the boss is really really hard.

I got a review from someone called Jedite1000 or something like it.
    He said something like "OMG your boss is so hard I never felt so humiliated" and he down rated me.

Yeeeeah...
    War in the twelve temples - NW-DMXDG5KED (Parody of the anime Saint Seiya!)
    The Mysterious Woman - NW-DP6MVIC26 (Venture in the fey wild)

[SIGPIC]http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90213885&dateline=1376666164[/SIGPIC]
    Those are high elves, also known as eladrins. The closest beings to the feywild.
    They are a core race from D&D 4e. You can find them in "The Mysterious Woman" quest.
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    My quest description says it is a hard quest and that the boss is really really hard.

I got a review from someone called Jedite1000 or something like it.
    He said something like "OMG your boss is so hard I never felt so humiliated" and he down rated me.

Yeeeeah...

Yeah that's just wrong imo. Then again it's just a personal opinion. I like hard quests, but I never really rate a quest on its difficulty. That's just not the way I see a fair rating. (Even with warnings or not.) People will downrate your quest if they think it is too hard, that's just the way of things. (Riddles in the Dark seems to be "hard" for many people, and I just don't see how lol)

With the quests I make, I want to reward thinking. Bullrushing and spamming the 1 key may result in something funny in terms of surprises :) (And yes, that's intended. Since I've written the quests are dialogue driven, that's what the player gets when they don't care to read a single letter ^^)
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Just a thought. I enjoyed Danger in the Fog, even rated it, but I fell behind a crate in Danger In the Sky and could not finish it. This is one of those things. I actually got knocked behind a crate which I could not climb or jump over. Fell in a hole is a common design mistake. I even reset my death in Danger in the Sky after being stuck behind the pirate ship crates and could not get back on the goblin boat. Go figure. I jumped off the sky ship several times ran around and tried to get back on the ship. It was kind of funny in a way.

Liked the humor in the story.

Some designers don't even know they are doing this. Another common fell in a hole mistake is having a pool of water or lava which the player cannot climb out of. I think it is a major source of player griping.

You might want to have three options for the person who finishes a quest, rate the quest, provide feedback, or pass.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Your foundry quest names made me remember Danger 5!
    surely, we could make a foundry that resembles one of the episodes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Don't be shy, name me by name, dmmmit! LOL

To the thread: it is a BADGE OF HONOR when reviews make their feeble attempts to insult you! You have reached the pinnacle of platitudes when you, through no effort or ability within your control pisss-off someone so much that they actually take the time to send you an in-game email.

Death-threats are the Medal of Honor for devs/UGC authors!

Be proud, it's an exclusive club to be in.

I've received a "death threat" because I had "wasted" the players precious valuable time in my Blacklake Luskan quest, and he (she?) even mentioned (I paraphrase) "There's not enough COMBAT! It's all BS Story! Granted the description says that, but YOU SUCCK!~"

These are the best reviews and emails! (I look for and play quests (and STO missions) with these reviews just for kicks).
  • xavier2064xavier2064 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm willing to bet the only way to reproduce the error would be to play test your map on the same crappy Tandy 200 that the complaint was using. I'm guessing him being stuck had to do with the jittering he mentioned. =) Can't please em all.
  • moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    Don't those people get into trouble for sending death threats?
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    moonchipz wrote: »
    Don't those people get into trouble for sending death threats?

I never bothered to follow mine up, and there wasn't a way in the interface to report them that I could see. Had I lived in the US I wouldn't have reported them to Cryptic anyway. I would have reported them to the police. This kind of thing, no matter how harmless it might seem to those of us used to the Internet, is actually punishable with prison to the best of my knowledge. Since I live in Norway I just couldn't be bothered to contact American police over some acne-infested dolt with one hand in the cheetos bowl and the other on the keyboard.