test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Games that feature the Ranger class (and do it well)?

apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
OK...so many of us expected a Ranger or just plain Archer class in beta. Didn't get it. Some of us expected perhaps a change when it went Gold. Didn't happen. Most of the Ranger/Archer players it seems, expected to be able to finally play it at Module 1. Obviously, Cryptic said "No!" once again. Now, we are being told that maybe, just maybe...we may be able to do so by end of year. Fine. Weird, definitely nontraditional, but it is what it is.

But for those of us who are jonesin' to play one of the more popular classes yet can't in NW, what are some good MMORPG's that may satisfy that desire to play? Not just a game that has a ranged fighter available to play...but one that does it well (admittedly, this is subjective).

The two current that I can think of are:

1. WoW (Hunter)
  2. GW2 (Ranger)

However, I'm done with WoW (after playing it for years) and GW2 seems to have slipped a bit in popularity (I play it very casually now).

The ones I'm not too sure about:

1. Rift (Rogue - who can develop into a ranged fighter class; played for a bit, felt a little underwhelming, not sure if I gave it a solid chance or not)
  2. Forge (Pathfinder) - the game really isn't an MMORPG, but pure pvp. I've never played, but it may be interesting (I'll leave those who have played it give their input).

And what is on the horizon:

1. Final Fantasy XIV (Archer) - played in beta; fun in the early levels at least; great graphics, but didn't get too deep into the game and didn't do pvp so I don't know with any degree of certainty what it will be like).

I'm looking for a new archer/ranger experience. I desperately wanted to find that in NW, but obviously, no dice.

Anyone have any recommendations for a game with a solid ranged fighter experience? One that preferably also has pvp? If the thread gains traction, and has solid recommendations, I'll update this first post with the suggestions offered by those who respond (for convenience to the ranger/archer fans).
Post edited by apokalupsis2012 on

Comments

• Options
    apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    {bumping this boat in the Sea of Threads}
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey, there's always Champions Online. ;)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Umm, everquest (the original) did a great job w/ rangers.. Probably the best job I have seen to date in a mmo..
    Wish wow would have made more elite bow type weapons for the hunter.. Seemed like there were lots more good options for guns rather than bows..
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Neverwinter Nights series, still plenty of servers focused on different play styles, still the best DnD experience.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    OK...so many of us expected a Ranger or just plain Archer class in beta. Didn't get it. Some of us expected perhaps a change when it went Gold. Didn't happen. Most of the Ranger/Archer players it seems, expected to be able to finally play it at Module 1. Obviously, Cryptic said "No!" once again. Now, we are being told that maybe, just maybe...we may be able to do so by end of year. Fine. Weird, definitely nontraditional, but it is what it is.

But for those of us who are jonesin' to play one of the more popular classes yet can't in NW, what are some good MMORPG's that may satisfy that desire to play? Not just a game that has a ranged fighter available to play...but one that does it well (admittedly, this is subjective).

Try the assassin in Aion. It has a ranger spec, which is the best i have played so far in any mmo. The same goes for the assassin itself when in melee spec. They only deal high damage when they attack from behind or from stealth. The way a rogue is supposed to function. (unlike the ones in NW)
    However the ranger deals full damage, from any position.

But yeah, you asked for a ranger, got a little off topic.

• Options
    ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'd say both of the ones you mention categorically failed on selling the experience, and that's from experience (having mained a Hunter in the former and currently maining a Ranger in the latter). Overselling the pet's contribution donks, especially when they have to gimp your personal damage to do it (as your DPS and burst damage is balanced around having that pet out - pet dies, you're suddenly struggling to out DPS the tank/support).

For the love of God, Cryptic, do not shackle me to a pet mechanic here. I have enough of that with your Companion system, and I am not impressed with minion-AI (across CO, STO, and here). :|

EDIT: As to Rift, I found that the second most boring and tedious game I've ever played, and the pet mechanics there were no better (and likely a bit worse) then WoW's. As far as unobtrusive pet mechanics go, GW2 wins the prize, but even then they haven't really done it in a way that makes me all that happy to have one around.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Ranger, and I loved my Hunter (I quit for other reasons). But I am so beyond tired of being shackled to AI for my personal DPS. I want my stuff to matter based on what I do, not the AI.

To paraphrase Edna Mode: No pets!

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm HOPING that with the companion system, Cryptic doesn't link Ranger to a pet. If you want a ranger theme, then you'd have the flexibility of picking a wolf, tiger, or whatever else they add.

Then again, 'flexibility' like this seems... foreign to Cryptic lately.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    I'm HOPING that with the companion system, Cryptic doesn't link Ranger to a pet. If you want a ranger theme, then you'd have the flexibility of picking a wolf, tiger, or whatever else they add.

Then again, 'flexibility' like this seems... foreign to Cryptic lately.

Your keyboard to Cryptic's eyes, mate.

EDIT: You know what, that reads funny. It's a play on 'Your mouth to God's ears', which is to say, 'May God hear that and make it so'. It.. it sounded better in my head.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hee. Now I'm imagining smacking Cryptic in the face...

But, yeah, I really hope they add... some little bits of flexibility. One of my HUGE frustrations is that a cleric of Moradin and a cleric of Selune have _exactly the same abilities_.

Heck, give folks... some little something that can vary between characters for each class. Or maybe some extra ability/passive based on God. Or... something.

• Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Vindictus' Kai.

But vindictus is an actual action mmo, NW isn't... so idk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dragons Prophet has ranger/archer class and it is fun to play. Not only that, but you can tame a dragon and ride it. ;) I play as a ranger, and I think, it is the most awesme class in that game so far, do give a try.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Discussing other MMOs in Off Topic is okay but when those cross into suggesting for other to go play a different MMO.. this is when they become unacceptable. Sorry, closing this down now.
This discussion has been closed.