test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Future patch for Sun Elves?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    ruminate00 wrote: »
    This isn't 3rd edition lore. In 4th edition, the most common elf race is the Wood Elf. Moon Elves are now a part of a race called Eladrin, which is an elf with feyblood. They're basically the Aasimar of elves.

Officially Sun Elves are still far rarer than moon elves though.

Sylvan Elves are by far the most common elves in Faerun, most notably the Woof Elf since the Wild Elves are far less likely to leave the wild areas of the world, but in terms of Eladrin the order tends of most common to most rare tends to be Moon Elves, Sun Elves and Pure Eladrin.

That is, of course, if we were to follow the lore. *shrugs and smiles*
  • Options
    spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Officially Sun Elves are still far rarer than moon elves though.

Sylvan Elves are by far the most common elves in Faerun, most notably the Woof Elf since the Wild Elves are far less likely to leave the wild areas of the world, but in terms of Eladrin the order tends of most common to most rare tends to be Moon Elves, Sun Elves and Pure Eladrin.

That is, of course, if we were to follow the lore. *shrugs and smiles*

and that last line leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. story is a big deal to me. I know it isn't to everybody, and some people just want their game to play regardless of lore.

honestly, one of the reasons why I abandoned WoW (in addition to bad design decisions for my tastes) was because they were increasingly breaking and retconning their own lore as time passed.

I figured that neverwinter, with the HUGE and rich background of decades of lore and backstory would be good for establishing and maintaining that world. Something like this may seem little, but that's what makes it bad. If PWE/Cryptic are willing to be so loose with little things that are easy to handle and plan around, then what will they do when they come up against something that's actually difficult to work their game around?

I'm fine with altering something that's a game play necessity, like different spellcasting systems or some such, but stuff like this is story, flavor, and lore, and it's a huge part of immersion for some people.

I doubt that this will have a huge effect on PWE's pocketbooks, at least not in and of itself, but I daresay it's a sign of prevailing attitudes on the designers' parts which may hurt things for everybody over time.
  • Options
    kyotheman9000kyotheman9000 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so cryptic f'd up not surprising so sun elves should been exclusive elves, and moon should be the free one is that correct?
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited August 2013
    They will be available after our evening maintenance tonight.
  • Options
    spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so cryptic f'd up not surprising so sun elves should been exclusive elves, and moon should be the free one is that correct?

I certainly think so.
  • Options
    sycholicsycholic Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No they come out soon as the servers are back up as of posted by the admins in the dev forum. Honestly Im kinda pissed at this fact even... Since I paid for a feywild pack and having the moon elf was part of the point. Now the big question is... what the difference and if there isnt Im quite frankly miffed to say the least...
  • Options
    aurelias1aurelias1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    and that last line leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. story is a big deal to me. I know it isn't to everybody, and some people just want their game to play regardless of lore.

I figured that neverwinter, with the HUGE and rich background of decades of lore and backstory would be good for establishing and maintaining that world. Something like this may seem little, but that's what makes it bad. If PWE/Cryptic are willing to be so loose with little things that are easy to handle and plan around, then what will they do when they come up against something that's actually difficult to work their game around?

4E lore in general is pretty terrible, watered down, and lazy (see my avatar :p), so can't blame Cryptic entirely. But in general I agree, if not for the name dropping, there's really nothing about the game that actually says 'Forgotten Realms'.