Install Arc
Options

Lockbox Key Addiction

2»

Comments

• Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    gambling addiction is a disease or illness, whatever.....

just sayin.

OCD is hard to self control as well for those afflicted.....
    edited August 2013
    an informed decision cannot be made when the facts are not obtainable.

I'm only suggesting there should be more transparency and less seductive practices by the game company.

I am all for personal accountability/resposibility, but i feel that the game company should practice this as well.

I;ll state again, in reply to the "butthurt" comments: I have never opened a lockbox.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'm only suggesting there should be more transparency and less seductive practices by the game company.

I am all for personal accountability/resposibility, but i feel that the game company should practice this as well.

I;ll state again, in reply to the "butthurt" comments: I have never opened a lockbox.

You don't need precise information about these lockboxes to make a reasonably informed decision on them, as these and other types of lottery have been around a long, long time.

Anyone other than young children, who shouldn't be spending online unsupervised anyway, knows how these kinds of things work. You have a much higher change to get something common, and thus generally of less value, than you do of getting something rare, and thus generally of higher value. Everyone knows that what is shown to be the top prizes will be the rarest.

Everyone also knows that they shouldn't spend so much money on chance based things that they can't afford to buy the necessities of life and pay their bills.

So, for the average adult, this is plenty enough information to go on, when deciding if they want to see what they get randomly, just buy what they want directly from the AH, or not bother with lockboxes at all. The average adult is also capable of knowing how much discretionary income he has available, and when it's time to stop so he doesn't exceed his fun money limit.

Those afflicted with a gambling addiction don't behave rationally in regards to gambling. It wouldn't matter if they had the precise odds flashing in front of them in giant neon letters 24/7, as those caught up in this addiction won't be swayed by that, because their perceptions and thought process are skewed by the need they feel to 'satisfy' their addiction.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013

considering that thousands of people have alcohol addictions and this has not prompted prohibition, the idea that it is the individual's responsibility to keep their own willpower in check seems to be the winner winner chicken dinner. not everyone has this addictive behavior and can control their spending urges... and i must point out that you can open lockboxes without spending real money. by your perceived notions, the rest of the world should be limited to things that have absolutely no detrimental effects on anyone ever.

and who cares if you've never opened a lock box. i still haven't set foot in castle never. nice to meet you. ;)
  • Options
    usernumber999usernumber999 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    considering that thousands of people have alcohol addictions and this has not prompted prohibition, the idea that it is the individual's responsibility to keep their own willpower in check seems to be the winner winner chicken dinner. not everyone has this addictive behavior and can control their spending urges... and i must point out that you can open lockboxes without spending real money. by your perceived notions, the rest of the world should be limited to things that have absolutely no detrimental effects on anyone ever.

incomparable argument. you know what you are getting when u buy a bottle of liquor. I said transparency, not limitation.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    incomparable argument. you know what you are getting when u buy a bottle of liquor. I said transparency, not limitation.

Actually, it's not totally incomparable.

The hazards of excessive alcohol consumption are quite well known, and the problems caused by drunk driving are also quite well known, but this doesn't prevent alcoholics from drinking excessively and driving drunk. Further, alcoholics often spend more than they can afford to on alcohol, just as gambling addicts often spend too much on games of chance. As in most addictions, alcoholics don't think rationally about what they are doing despite ample information warning them of their behaviour, because their addiction gets in the way of that. Their thinking is skewed by their need to satisfy their addiction.

However, society still makes alcohol available because most people aren't alcoholics, just as society still allows chance based purchases because most people aren't gambling addicts.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    k4pnkrunch wrote: »
    In over 50% of the cases of buying 10 keys I've been able to make back 90% or more by selling everything I got from them.

So half the time you get most of your money back? You're not addicted at all, are you? LOL, JK.

All joking aside, I don't plan on touching the lockboxes myself. I know how I get when gambling and choose not to. I still have no problem with them in the game though. As long as the stuff in them can be bought on the AH. It helps support the game I plays continued development. And I still get to buy (indirectly) any neat stuff I want from them.

As for any greater moral issues... that's not for us to decide here. Lots of games have this random, for money, pseudo-gambling stuff. Its super-profitable and as long as they are legally allowed to do so it will continue. If someone wants to change it, they need to look into trying to change the laws. Not other player's minds on a forum.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR