test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why so Patchy?

chrispybrownchrispybrown Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I keep downloading the same patch when I start and exit the launcher... very annoying.

edit: Follow up

Yes, looks to be a different version number when loading and exiting. When I load, it'll stop at 9%. If I close and restart it won't try to load again. But if I hit play then logout | exit and the other patch loads then the first patch will try to load again.

Exiting version is NW.5.20130812b.2 (2230mb) and stops before 1% and starting patch is NW.3.20130723a.16 (2242KB).

edit: Temp fix

As suggested below, if you just close the patch window when you exit you won't have to worry about the starting patch. It'll go straight to the play button. I'm sure this will only be an issue until the end of this week when the feywilde patch is applied to all servers.
Post edited by chrispybrown on

Comments

• Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The patch when you exit is not the same one downloaded when you first loaded up. The one that pops up when you exit, is the prepatch for Fury of the Feywild next week. If you want you can safely close out the launcher when you exit the game.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ^ Thank you Dardove! That is correct.
  • Options
    xictusxictus Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Actually I think there is a bit more going on here for some of us. What is happening is both upon launching and upon logout a file of approximately 2.2 Gb (I assume the FotF patch) starts to download for 10 sec or so and then stops. Each time. I would really be happy if it would just download in its entirety all at once and go away but instead 3-7% seems to download and then it stops. So we just keep repeating the same download each time. So as the OP stated we keep downloading the same patch every login/logout. There is no sustained progression.
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    The patch when you exit is not the same one downloaded when you first loaded up. The one that pops up when you exit, is the prepatch for Fury of the Feywild next week. If you want you can safely close out the launcher when you exit the game.
    dezstravus wrote: »
    ^ Thank you Dardove! That is correct.

Then please tell me why "every time" I start the launcher I start downloading a patch... get to about 9% and then it goes to tha "play" button? And then when I exit the game the patchers starts again... gets to 9% and then closes?

Every time is the same.
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Then please tell me why "every time" I start the launcher I start downloading a patch... get to about 9% and then it goes to tha "play" button? And then when I exit the game the patchers starts again... gets to 9% and then closes?

Every time is the same.

When you start up the launcher, which build does it say it is downloading?
  • Options
    xictusxictus Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    NW.3.20130723a.16 for me
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hmmm, it shouldn't be downloading anything extra on launch as the is the current live patch.
  • Options
    levodelevode Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have the same issue.

It downloads a small patch when I launch (2344KB).

Then when I exit the game, the launcher comes back up and starts downloading a 2229MB patch but quits after a few seconds.

Edit: It does this every time I launch. 5-6 times in a row today.
  • Options
    immortalsneakimmortalsneak Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am getting the same thing. Infact I was getting this same d/l issue previously. Then a new patch arrived and it stopped. Since the last patch this week it has started again. Both logging in and logging out.

Does not seem to affect game play so it is not a big deal... But still...
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The one you start up should be fine to play with. When you exit the game a patcher should start. If you want to play the game just exit the Patcher and re click on your game window.

Oh I see!!! My bad. Yes it is downloading a Patch before play!!!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I have the same issue. It updates every time I log in and exit the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes, looks to be a different version number when loading and exiting. When I load, it'll stop at 9%. If I close and restart it won't try to load again. But if I hit play then logout | exit and the other patch loads then the first patch will try to load again.

Exiting version is NW.5.20130812b.2 (2230mb) and stops before 1% and starting patch is NW.3.20130723a.16 (2242KB).
  • Options
    notag0dnotag0d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same, everytime I launch the game it downloads a 2mb patch, then once I'm finished it downloads a 2gb patch which it has now downloaded 4 times, thankfully I don't have a monthly bandwidth limit but others do and if they don't spot it this will cause issues.
  • Options
    demecusdemecus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same here. On close 2 gig patch; on open 2 gig patch....
  • Options
    rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ditto, same here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • Options
    savagefistsavagefist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm getting the same behavior as well.
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    Intel 335 Series Jay Crest 240GB
    3 x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB
    XFX Core Edition FX-785A-CNL4 Radeon HD 7850 2GB
  • Options
    akeetlebeetleakeetlebeetle Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Having the same experience. However, the first time I logged out, it actually d-loaded the entire 2 gb patch (slowly, I might add). Now it stops at 9%.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm experiencing exactly the same behavior. The game runs OK so not critical, but annoying all the same.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I downloaded the whole 2 gig patch after playing last night. Yet every time I log in it wants to patch again and stops at 9%.
  • Options
    whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am not the only one then. I open the game, patch. I close the game patch. I opened and closed NW more then a few times the other day and every time, patch patch patch. I let the patch finish before doing anything else. It's just strange.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    its teh patch for teh patch for the patch for the patch's patch patch patch
    duh

oh when the feywhile thing is released you have to patch it all over again
  • Options
    goodoldkamegoodoldkame Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    same here ...
  • Options
    indolo238indolo238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited August 2013
    Just for clarification, the cryptic launcher shows the file size for the patch, but that's not actually what it's downloading since it only downloads what it needs. So it sees you don't have the 2GB patch, starts processing that, downloads the 9% that you have missing or incorrect, and then completes.

What seems to be happening is a conflict between the files of the current and future patch. We quit the game, the launcher downloads the future patch and is probably overwriting something for the current build. Then we start up the game, the launcher sees something isn't right and starts to patch that 2MB that's wrong with our current build, then when we exit, the future patch breaks it again.

The simple workaround at the moment is closing the launcher after exiting the game before it starts patching, if you've already let it do the real pre-download. Then next time you start the game, you don't have to do that little 2MB patch.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Maybe the patch is for the people on the preview server. Since I don't have any characters there it starts to download then abandons it, but not before overwriting files for regular version. I imagine once the patch is official this should stop.
  • Options
    spur1ousspur1ous Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My launcher is now downloading the 2229MB patch and its at 31%. Why isn't mine stopping like others?
  • Options
    miredorlmiredorl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am currently on a 4191MB patch that follows the 2229MB patch earlier yesterday.
    I am waiting for the patch to complete.
  • Options
    akeetlebeetleakeetlebeetle Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    spur1ous wrote: »
    My launcher is now downloading the 2229MB patch and its at 31%. Why isn't mine stopping like others?

The first time is the real patch. Let it continue d-loading. After that, if it starts up again when you exit, you can cancel out of it.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ok seriously what the @#$% is going on?? every time I start the game it patches
    every time I quit the game.. YEP PATChES

EVERY TIME! HELLO ANYONE HOME
  • Options
    mjonismjonis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    ok seriously what the @#$% is going on?? every time I start the game it patches
    every time I quit the game.. YEP PATChES

EVERY TIME! HELLO ANYONE HOME

I agree, this is quite annoying. Has anyone heard from Cryptic/PWE as to why it's doing this?
  • Options
    sirrianknightsirrianknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same happening here... constantly downloading 2GB patches... I can see it in my internet usage, so I KNOW it is downloading every time. It used SO much on Fri/Sat/Sun, that by the time I realised, it had actually blown my internet usage limit for the rest of the month!

Please fix! Or I can't play!