test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Moon Elf Race[Question]?

2»

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sharandar Elves is what the option is being called on the Race select screen, of the character creator, on the preview server.

I believe, however, this is just to simplify things. I expect that entry will contain BOTH moon and sun elves in it. With an option to pick what one within the selection. Rather then making two silhouettes, they made a more generic one for both.

I expect Drow will work similar in the future as well.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    I'm slightly confused. You say, they are calling them. The "Sharandar Elves instead of Moon Elf Races. However when I click on the promotion pack, it details all the things you get. It clearly says "Moon Elf Race. Could you clarify if they are indeed selling Moon Race, or did I misinterpret that?

http://nw.perfectworld.com/feywildpack

Details:

Moon Elf Race

Playable race that comes with unique stat bonuses as well as unique Wanderlust and Moon Elf Resilience racial powers. Can be used to make as many characters as you want, as long as you have slots available!
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Sharandar Elves is what the option is being called on the Race select screen, of the character creator, on the preview server.

I believe, however, this is just to simplify things. I expect that entry will contain BOTH moon and sun elves in it. With an option to pick what one within the selection. Rather then making two silhouettes, they made a more generic one for both.

I expect Drow will work similar in the future as well.

. . . . . Yeah, that's what I meant. I just got the Feywild pack and loaded up the public test server and seen they were called "Sharandar Elves" (a regional name for the Moon Elves of the Sharandar) on the character creation screen. We already know that they will be adding a vanilla free drow sometime in the future, so this would make sense to also add a vanilla moon elf also. The only confusing part is that they call the Hero of the North's drow just "Drow" and not "Mezoberranzan Renegade" on the character creation screen. So, yeah it's just my hypotheses and one I would like to see happen - it does make sense though the way Sock explains, seeing how the wording is plural on the racial select screen. Drow will probably be like this too, for in Alpha, when we chose Drow, a drop down did appear and we chose Menzoberranzan Renegade. That was disabled for some reason though.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Here's some screens of the Sharandar Moon Elves as they are at the time of this post on the Public Test Server. Please know, this information is subject to change come release of Fury of the Feywild.

moon_elves_PTS01.jpg~original

. . . . . These two are just to show the base default models, which are further customize-able by pressing "Advanced." These images were with the Control Wizard class selected.

moon_elves_PTS03.jpg~original

moon_elves_PTS02.jpg~original
  • undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . I don't understand why their appearance matters simply because their appearance in game falls in line with the Lore of the Realms, apart from a few missing eye and hair color tones. Additionally, you can tweak their appearances with the advanced options in creation. Of course if you look at two of the same default models, they're going to appear strikingly similar.

. . . . . In actuality, the appearances between the elven sub-races in the Realms is not that different and, for the most-part, falls in line with what we see in game now. When you take away hair, eye, and skin color in PnP Realms, they are are pretty much the same just as they are when doing the same in Neverwinter Online. As I said above, what sets the sub-races apart in the Realms (apart from Lytharii, Avariel, and Aquatics) are their societies and innate abilities, which is reflected in the lore and innate abilities in game for these sub-races. So really, people are just complaining that PWE/Cryptic are following the lore of the Realms? Odd, indeed.

Speaking of appearances, what I don't understand is, why they included brown/black hair options for drow? Why couldn't they include platinum/blonde options instead? I understand that their skin color is brownish, because of textures(although they still could have made a separate texture for drow, which would look beter for dark skintones), but why dark hair? What kind of blasphemy is this?
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
    edited August 2013
    Speaking of appearances, what I don't understand is, why they included brown/black hair options for drow? Why couldn't they include platinum/blonde options instead? I understand that their skin color is brownish, because of textures(although they still could have made a separate texture for drow, which would look beter for dark skintones), but why dark hair? What kind of blasphemy is this?
    . . . . . Yes the drow need some additions for sure and I have been raising as much awareness over this as I can, yet it has gone unheeded. However, black is possible albeit very rare to be seen. Black and brown hair is possible in drow, although very rare to ever be seen past birth for it would mean that there is moon elf in their ancestry and any born with it would be sacrificed to Lolth.

. . . . .
    The same goes for drow with blue and green eyes (which are surprising missing, depsite me raising a fuss over this in alpha through beta), they denote surface elven blood in their lineage and are also sacrificed at birth to Lolth. Yellowish white hair is also missing, which denotes a drow of either advanced age (5000+) or one suffering from poision or disease. It is strange though they would add the super rare black hair to drow yet forget the more common blue eyes, green eyes, and yellow hair tone. As well, drow skin tones are missing hues with slight purple or blue undertones.
  • rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . I don't understand why their appearance matters simply because their appearance in game falls in line with the Lore of the Realms, apart from a few missing eye and hair color tones. Additionally, you can tweak their appearances with the advanced options in creation. Of course if you look at two of the same default models, they're going to appear strikingly similar.

. . . . . In actuality, the appearances between the elven sub-races in the Realms is not that different and, for the most-part, falls in line with what we see in game now. When you take away hair, eye, and skin color in PnP Realms, they are are pretty much the same just as they are when doing the same in Neverwinter Online. As I said above, what sets the sub-races apart in the Realms (apart from Lytharii, Avariel, and Aquatics) are their societies and innate abilities, which is reflected in the lore and innate abilities in game for these sub-races. So really, people are just complaining that PWE/Cryptic are following the lore of the Realms? Odd, indeed.

Where it matters is at the end of the day, other than racial abilities, there doesn't seem to be any uniqueness to the new race. Sure they look similar based on the lore, but considering Cryptic/PWE is asking a fair amount of cash up front, why not offer some additional incentives that will make your Moon elf stand out from all the "Free" elves wandering around. In WoW, part of the fun of buying a new mount from the store was that you were getting something exclusive that not everyone had (except for the Sparkle Pony ;) ).

In this, case what's to stop Cryptic/PWE from just pumping out colour variations of each race and asking that it's player base pay through the nose for every single race?!

Want a Shield Dwarf from Mithril Hall? Here, pay $40
    Want a Gold Dwarf? That'll be another $35
    Want a Duerger that happens to live on the surface? Oh well, that's going to cost ya!
    You won't be able to afford the Urdunnir, so start saving your pennies now!

See what I mean, just offering colour variations of races and charging players for them (albeit with other "trinkets" and minor items) is basically saying the Cryptic/PWE can print their own money! It's this nickel and dime - oh you gotta pay for it - routine that always leaves a sour taste in peoples' mouth when they consider the pros and cons of free MMOs.

Look at GW2 - they're B2P, but anything new they offer is not sold as a Pack (although they do offer it). Now they haven't sold new "races" yet, but you can choose exactly what you wish to buy and you can be pretty much guaranteed that WHAT you buy will look incredibly unique.
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • dddeemmdddeemm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    I'm with the general opinion that they could be adding new and interesting races instead of pallet swapped Elves.

Where are the Dragonborn?
    Or the Genasi?
    Or the Deva?
  • samehadasecondsamehadasecond Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We have 3 Elf Races avilable including the Moon Elf at the moment, and not one of them gives bonus stats to both Intelligence and Wisdom. I'm still waiting for a race that's going to give me that little extra bit of recovery without sacrificing my Magic Atk.
    Tempt not the Sleeping Dragon, for you are Cunchy, and Taste Good with Ketchup!
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's this nickel and dime - oh you gotta pay for it - routine that always leaves a sour taste in peoples' mouth when they consider the pros and cons of free MMOs.

You don't have to pay for it. Paying for it is a choice based issue. Other than cosmetics and lore, the Moon and Sun elf are virtually identical, so you get a very similar race for no cost at all that can be played.

Only those that greatly desire Moon Elves, or other contents of the pack may feel the 'need' to buy it, but in fact there is no need to do so. It is a want based issue, not one of need. People too easily confuse the two these days.
    edited August 2013
    dddeemm wrote: »
    I'm with the general opinion that they could be adding new and interesting races instead of pallet swapped Elves.

Where are the Dragonborn?
    Or the Genasi?
    Or the Deva?

Perhaps they will come later. They are all comparatively niche to the elven races, so it's no surprise that the various elves would come first. It would have also been easier to put out the elves while working on the expansion, as they could basically be done as pallet swaps allowing them to keep their graphics people focused on other elements of the update.
  • rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    You don't have to pay for it. Paying for it is a choice based issue. Other than cosmetics and lore, the Moon and Sun elf are virtually identical, so you get a very similar race for no cost at all that can be played.

Only those that greatly desire Moon Elves, or other contents of the pack may feel the 'need' to buy it, but in fact there is no need to do so. It is a want based issue, not one of need. People too easily confuse the two these days.

I completely agree with you. It is a choice-based issue. Thank you for making that important distinction. However, that's still not stopping Cryptic/PWE from charging those people who "greatly desire" Moon Elves the cash. ;)

I guess where most of my gripe is with the price they've placed on that new race (combined with the mount and other "trinkets". Sixty dollars (roughly the price of a full game anywhere else) is an exhorbitant amount to pay for 1 colour-palette swapped Elf model, a unicorn mount, a new companion, and a few trinkets. Frankly, I don't think it's worth it at all.

In other MMOs, $60 would get you an entire expansion let alone just that....
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
    edited August 2013
    I completely agree with you. It is a choice-based issue. Thank you for making that important distinction. However, that's still not stopping Cryptic/PWE from charging those people who "greatly desire" Moon Elves the cash. ;)

That's how f2p MMOs make money, charging cash for extras some will greatly desire.
    I guess where most of my gripe is with the price they've placed on that new race (combined with the mount and other "trinkets". Sixty dollars (roughly the price of a full game anywhere else) is an exhorbitant amount to pay for 1 colour-palette swapped Elf model, a unicorn mount, a new companion, and a few trinkets. Frankly, I don't think it's worth it at all.

In other MMOs, $60 would get you an entire expansion let alone just that....

Most MMOs charge you $60 for the expansion and give you nothing for free. This MMO gives you the expansion and charges you $60 for optional things related to the expansion, none of which are needed for the expansion.

Considering the amount of complaining from many posters about not having one of the palette swapped elves available to everyone that has gone on for some time now, some palette swapped elves seem to have value to many.

There are still some posters that continue to vehemently complain that one of the palette swapped elves is only going to be available to purchasers of the new pack, at least for some period of time.

So, to some, this kind of stuff matters, and to some it will be reason enough to pay $60 for the pack.

The value of the mount will vary greatly by the potential buyer, depending on whether the person already has a purple mount and how many characters that person has. For some it will be pretty useful. Some will want it just because it is a unicorn.

The pet, who knows how valuable it will be. Sadly, non-buffing pets already have fairly limited use due to their survival potential in epic dungeons. Still, some will like the fairy aspect of it and want it just for that.

The pack also comes with 600,000 AD, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I think enough people will want the pack as is for plenty of money to be made of off it. It won't appeal to everyone of course, but other packs will undoubtedly be on offer in time, and they may appeal to a different crowd.