test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it too much to ask that you keep your clothes on in dungeons?

ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
First of all, please don't start with stupid jokes like it's being warm, or whatever. The problem is as a female player, I take offense in all these female character running around dungeons naked. Some of them have even ended up on my ignore-list becase of it. If these were female players, it would be one thing. But let's just say most of these naked characters have names that strongly suggest otherwise... Also, I have seen far too many naked female characters, yet not a single naked male character. That should ring a bell, too.

So all I want to ask if you can please keep your clothes on in dungeons and skirmishes with me. And second, please don't let this thread fall into the usual immature troll-trap. I know some of you want to be 'funny' by trolling on subjects like this, but please don't. That's all. Thanks.
Post edited by ladymythos on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    Also, I have seen far too many naked female characters, yet not a single naked male character.

Then you simply haven't been playing long enough. :p

I run across naked male dance parties in PE on a weekly basis, easily. I know that doesn't address the real reason for your discomfort, and I do understand. But I am not kidding about the naked male dance parties either.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Really someone drop his/her armor in the dungeons? That is stupid even a tough char like the DF die fast that way.

I am not sure that female players dislike naked chars like a whole however. I will tell you a real story that happened to me in WoW. I am one of those males that often play a female char. With one of them female char I teamed up often with another female char. We were going along fine when one day....(there is a bug in WoW that, if you have connection problems, make the armors of the other players invisible showing them naked) my friend connect and ask me: "Oh are you naked?" "No " I replied "I have my armor on" "ah " she said"then I have some connection problem . I like you this way, mind you , but it is too much distracting for me <sigh>" and she disconnected and connected again and everything was fine.

That did ring a bell in me too, but I was wrong, she was not a male player playing a female char, she was a female player ,playing a female char, that happened to be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in real life. When everything was clarified among us we continued to play togheter just fine like before
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Really someone drop his/her armor in the dungeons? That is stupid even a tough char like the DF die fast that way.

If you switch to your "costume appearance" without costume items on you will essentially run around in your underwear. Ladymythos isn't talking about people running around without weapons or armor but is rather talking about people who are simply appearing skimpily dressed.

Sadly I really don't know where I stand on this issue though. People should have the option to run around however they want but it can negatively effect the immersion of other people and as pointed out is more than likely players simply behaving immaturely more so than any other reason.

It's kind of a catch 22. Sure people could be forced into wearing at least some costume items but at the same time any limitation on player choice could negatively effect those who have a valid reason for the action such as Roleplayers.
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey I run around half naked on my (male) CW usually. Wizard robes look mostly dumb i think (even tho i spent like 600k diamonds to dye mine..) so I prefer to just have pants, no shirt.

A few people have asked me "Why are you naked" I usually reply it's just because of how awesome I am. I mean my character is pretty ripped, so why not.

Usually keep my armor on my GF, cuz it looks cool.

btw op: Immature dudes playing female chars that do that generally don't read the forums (questionable if they are even able to read). So yea, your calls are falling on deaf ears.

Personally would never play a female char in an mmo, feels weird and deceptive - think it's especially weird for the guys that go far enough to give their female chars feminine names to boot. I do like the female fashion items in this game too, so i prefer they wear those rather than naked too for the ones i group with.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Guys wearing pants and no shirt is fine with me. The first time I saw it I definitely thought it looked brawlic.
    Heck part of me really doesn't like looking like a giant tin can as a Guardian Fighter. I'd like to look like I am wearing cloth boots and a chainmail and cloth armor set.
    Example:
    DarkElfTrilogyCE_11.jpg

Running around with absolutely nothing but a weapon and underwear can't really be considered a fashion statement, though.
    However I have heard rumors that it's part of some sort of movement/protest thing. Something to do with people being upset the skimpy female clothing went away so as a sign of protest they are wearing nothing. *shrugs*
    Or so I've heard through the grapevine.
  • theblazedtheblazed Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    they should sell bikini's for zen. i can bet you that cryptic would make a lot of money off that. it would also be less 'offensive' for people like the OP too.
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I think you'd be better off taking offence at other sexist behaviour. Running around naked and doing suggestive poses is something players are prone to do. I just came off a session where my dwarf stripped off his pants (kept his shirt, because it's funnier that way) and 'got on the horse' so to speak. It amuses some of us to no end to make these cartoonish avatars do unsavoury things, and isn't necessarily indicative of an unhealthy attitude. They're basically ken & barbie dolls.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dunno if it is just the people I end up in random queue with but I have seen a lot more underwear-clad male characters than female characters. To be fair they are usually Human, Dwarf or Half-Orc GWFs doing a Conan impression, although I did see one CW try it (not very impressively him being a Elf and all that).
  • moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    just my gwf doing the two step c:

gcx8.png
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Only one thing to say: mind your own buisness. There are enough stupid rules IRL. If people want to have fun this way in a game, leave them alone and do your own stuff.

Oh by the way i play only male characters.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . My drow priestess of Eilistrasee, Myradaxx Dae'Vesh (that still follows her ways but pays homage to Selune now), often runs around naked or scantily clad on certain occasions. Why? Because that is the way of her fallen goddess. Normally though, she appears how she is depicted in my signature. So, being in one's under-clothing can actually have meaning to those who role-play that particular aspect for one reason or another.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well they could always make the nekid outfit look like midevil undies.... which were more clothing than most people wear to work now a days. Im fem in rl and married I like to run my rogue around in a gold & red wedding skirt and matching regailia top. its funny to watch her flip around in a hoopskirt. oddly enough the hoopskirt accually helps me whe using lurkers cause red shows up. and i seem to get more healing ....

1cba9f2890e6c5594bf4d07b50a45b7f1370493661.jpg

But I have seen similar it doesnt botther me they have a bakini on so its not like they are really nekid.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I am not sure that female players dislike naked chars like a whole however.
    We don't, don't worry. This is just a personal preference. Some women like to look at men, some like to look at other women. To each her own. I know some women who never swear, and I know some who makes sailors blush. We are as different as you guys.
    It's kind of a catch 22. Sure people could be forced into wearing at least some costume items but at the same time any limitation on player choice could negatively effect those who have a valid reason for the action such as Roleplayers.
    Actually, I am against forcing people to do something or not. If they want to keep their clothes on, I'm fine with it most of the time. The only thing I ask is if people can keep their clothes on in dungeons when I'm there. That's about it. It's fine in Protector's Enclave, as when I'm there, I'm too busy to care what other people wear. Same with quest zones like Blacklake District or Tower District.

The issue is mostly that I'm a roleplayer by heart, and let's face it, Neverwinter is a roleplaying game. It doesn't matter if we sit all night discussing whether it's an MMO or not. That's debatable. But RPG? That it is. But because it's an RPG, I want to create a character that's an extension of my personality (a bit extreme at some points, though. I can be psychopat in the game, but obviously not n real life. But the character can do stuff I want to do. It's just like speeding in a car game, or playing GTA. No matter how long you play GTA, you won't decide stealing cars in real life is ok. Or if you do, it's not GTAs fault.)

Anyway, as I was saying, I want the character to be an extension of my personality, and I can really dig in and experience the game like I would if it was real. It's called immersion. The problem is that with fantasy like this, a general rule for women seem to be that less clothes equal more armor. Why else would my rogue be covered head to toe in large armor, yet she still wear a sportsbra? Even so, I can accept that. It's too common to not accept. But a woman running around in her underwear? In a dungeon crawling with enemies and full of traps? That's just stupid. It ruins any semse of 'realism' the game tries to build.
    axer128 wrote: »
    Hey I run around half naked on my (male) CW usually. Wizard robes look mostly dumb i think (even tho i spent like 600k diamonds to dye mine..) so I prefer to just have pants, no shirt.
    theblazed wrote: »
    they should sell bikini's for zen. i can bet you that cryptic would make a lot of money off that. it would also be less 'offensive' for people like the OP too.

As Seinfeld once said: There's good naked, and there's bad naked. I like to look at beautiful, handsome, sexy people. Gender don't matter. An atlethic woman can be just as attractive as an atlethic man. But there's a time and place for everything. I know many guys with big muscles like to show them, and if a fight breaks out, said guy often takes his shirt off first. This is for two reasons: The shirt is easy to grab, so it can give your opponent an advantage. But it can also be intimidating and give you an advantage.

But in a game? Sorry to say it, but the AI won't be intimidated by a guy running around with his shirt off. I know some people in fantasy do it (Conan, for instance, though that's technically Sword & Sorcery). I also know Red Sonya wears a bikini, so it's technically accepted for women to wear bikinis. That said, I don't like Red Sonya, mostly because of the bikini-issue.

To be short, I find it quite simple. If you can wear your current outfit in the grocery store, you can wear it anywhere. But if are going into a dungeon, it would be foolish to drop all your armor first.

Or to quote Kick-*** (the movie):

"Don't worry, I got it under control."
    "Under... under control? You are picking up a freakin' bazooka!"

Size doesn't matter? Yeah, right. Bigger is usually better. ;) That often goes with armor too. ;)
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As a roleplayer, it would usually bother me. But I find this happening significantly less than I have seen it in previous games I've played. So I dont have much problem with it.

Though my characters would always comment about said character's lack of clothing in dungeons or pvp since Im in character in the entire time Im playing ingame.
  • gokkensgokkens Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    First of all, please don't start with stupid jokes like it's being warm, or whatever. The problem is as a female player, I take offense in all these female character running around dungeons naked. Some of them have even ended up on my ignore-list becase of it. If these were female players, it would be one thing. But let's just say most of these naked characters have names that strongly suggest otherwise... Also, I have seen far too many naked female characters, yet not a single naked male character. That should ring a bell, too.

So all I want to ask if you can please keep your clothes on in dungeons and skirmishes with me. And second, please don't let this thread fall into the usual immature troll-trap. I know some of you want to be 'funny' by trolling on subjects like this, but please don't. That's all. Thanks.

So basicly, alot of people like to run around naked and they have a right to do that and like that, but the minority (you) do not like that and therefor want to ban these people from the game! because you do not find it funny! even though you were full aware of the large amount of guys here, you still think they have no right to be here!

I myself do not really fancy looking at naked men, how I manage? i don't look! simple!

also why is it you do not make the most bulkiest human male, and walk around naked on him?

Also this is the most important lesson in the entire universe everyone should have jammed down there throat! if you find something offensive and to your disliking avoid that! you can leave groups very easily! example: I find various extreme political gatherings offensive, that is why I don't attend them or otherwise pay attention to it!

people should not change to accomodate you its always the other way around!
  • lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All I can think of while reading this post is what about characters such as Conan, He-Man, Red Sonja and so on. Does the OP take issue with them being half naked all the time? Now I can understand when some characters in this game cross the line of decency. I've seen many badly named players (won't put down the names as I'm pretty sure its against the rules to do so), and have been surprised that nothing has been done about them by the powers that be.
    tumblr_mm7g22WQog1spm248o1_1280.png

My first Foundry mission, The Valley of Darkness NW-DG9DOTZLU
  • m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have two full-time naked men : 3

Mostly because any outfit they have worn so far looks silly to me, and it costs like 60k to change one piece of clothing ----___

To me nakedness is not a big deal, though. Sometimes nakedness can even be a parody of the obsessiveness with it in RL
    39275e2ac4.jpg
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    gokkens wrote: »
    So basicly, alot of people like to run around naked and they have a right to do that and like that, but the minority (you) do not like that and therefor want to ban these people
    When have I said anything about banning people? I actually said the complete opposite. I don't have a problem with people running around wearing whatever they want most of the time. It's only in dungeons when they are in a group with me. That's all. I don't want to ban them or anything. I was just trying to ask nicely if they could show some respect for other people and try to be a bit less offensive.

Put it this way: Over in Marvel Heroes, a guy in my group started yelling in a boss fight, and let's just say he wa quite rude. So I told him nicely that I found it offensive, and asked him to please change his tone a bit. He apologized, and we were quite friendly the rest of the dungeon. It's that easy sometimes. I didn't threatening him. I didn't put him on ignore. I treated him like a decent human being, and he did the same. I was just hoping people in this game can do it, too. And most do, when they are in the game. The forum, on the other hand...
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why else would my rogue be covered head to toe in large armor, yet she still wear a sportsbra
    it s a sporty game ;p you ll need a bra, otherwise those things go everywhere.
  • henzaihenzai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 154
    edited August 2013
    Haha, good point. :p

I'm not asking you to like me or my opinions. All I'm asking is that you respect me as a normal, sane human being. So if I ask you nicely to put your clothes on because it offends me, it's just for that dungeon. 90% of the time, that is not a problem. Why would you insist on being in the last 10%?

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's fun. Why is it so hard to ask people to be polite?
    If anyone asked you to undress your character because they found your armor offensive, would you? Im not asking to be a troll but to make an aassessment of my opinion
  • nukeyoonukeyoo Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cheese Ball is offensive in so many ways.. Just for folks like the OP

b6yg7b.jpg
  • gokkensgokkens Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    nukeyoo wrote: »
    Cheese Ball is offensive in so many ways.. Just for folks like the OP

b6yg7b.jpg

Nooooooooo! nooooooooo! It burns it BURNS!
  • esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    The OP stated and asked politely no to troll the thread and that she is obviously offended by naked females. Yet some low-intelligent and immature players keep posting naked pictures of their female characters on the thread, on purpose, to annoy the OP.

It could sound silly that someone can be offended by such matters, but you should respect others' demands especially if they aren't obligatory and been asked in a civil and polite way. Instead, you could express your opinion in a civil way without trolling and show why you would prefer not to keep your armor on.

But i think being civil on the internet will eventually get you trolled by immature low-intelligent creatures.
  • kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I know a female player who plays a naked female character.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So what if you join a group with somebody who dislikes the fact that there is very little individuality in this game and as a consequence is offended by your armor choice? if they ask nicely will you change your appearance to please them? didn't think so....
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Someone mentioned having a problem with male players playing female and vice versa because it's "deceptive." Curious -- why? I play characters of both genders just because of the ideas I get for characters, not to deceive, although it can be a fun social experiment to see if my male character gets treated differently than the females (spoiler: sometimes he does, but not as often as you'd think).

But at any rate, while I sympathize with the OP, I also think it's a whole lot better than combat armor being stupidly skimpy and appreciate that female avatars aren't usually stupidly disproportionate either, thanks to the character creation mechanisms. Some of the players do annoying and weird things that still probably shouldn't be stopped (if they started policing that, where would it end?), but it's nice that the game itself doesn't encourage it.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited August 2013
    The problem is as a female player, I take offense in all these female character running around dungeons naked. Some of them have even ended up on my ignore-list becase of it. If these were female players, it would be one thing. But let's just say most of these naked characters have names that strongly suggest otherwise... Also, I have seen far too many naked female characters, yet not a single naked male character. That should ring a bell, too.

If you choose to be offended, that is your decision. That player is doing what is fun for them and, if you choose to be offended by it, the problem is yours, not theirs. You are free to think they are stupid, and you are free to put them on ignore if you are that overly sensitive, but do not tell other people how to play. Frankly, I doubt that anyone who does that would heed your plea anyway. Likely this thread will encourage more people to do it.

Odd, though, that it would be acceptable if it were women doing it. :rolleyes:
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I personally think that a female character that is wearing only dyed peasant pants looks like she should be going out dancing and clubbing. Those that only wear the peasant shirt looks natural enough, just like a girl wearing their non-revealing sleep wear or boyfriends oversized shirt that dwarfs their shorts (a look you can see out in public often enough). A girl wearing just the underwear is still reasonably covered, a bikini at a beach is more revealing. The problem with that look in the game isn't so much about nudity but that the bottoms look fairly unattractive and bad on most female characters, given their tail a female tiefling can pull off the look fairly well though.

As to male characters running around with little on, I see that all the time. The ones just in underwear remind me of kids who are lazy and don't ever want to dress at home and run around in their underwear all the time being an eyesore to everyone else. The ones with just pants on remind me of the body builder type of athlete that is just trying to show off and people shrug off cause of it. I don't really see just the shirt look on male characters.

Just be glad you can't pay to make characters truly naked. I think the courtesan outfit is more revealing than the underwear is on female characters, and there are only 3 cash outfits to choose between for each gender and one of them is wedding attire that looks out of place just about if not everywhere.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . This thread is done. I removed way too many insults from far too many people. Read the Rules Folks. Besides, threads the insult or call out others for "inappropriate behavior" is not acceptable and after the way things unfolded, this topic is now closed.
This discussion has been closed.