test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Moon Elf Race[Question]?

fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
http://nw.perfectworld.com/feywildpack

It appears now another promotion has started up, the Hero of the North starter pack is still there for 200 dollars. (Not complaining.) however something peaked my curiosity. Upon clicking on the link, I proved above. It says "Moon Elf Race" this looks very similar, if not exactly the same with different clothes, then the renegade race.

I'm not very familiar with the lore. Can someone explain to me, what exactly makes renegade and moon elf race, different. Looking at their features, both have pointy ears, and look like half elfs.

Again this is not to provoke flaming. I sincerely don't know.

Are they the same race, what makes moon race different. Is it an entirely new class or just an expansion of Drow race. I'd like to know very much the fine details on the class.

Thanks in advance

http://nw.perfectworld.com/neverwinterpack
Post edited by fusedmass on

Comments

• Options
    mithreinmaethormithreinmaethor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You will want to read this entire article for some good lore on the Moon Elf ..... http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Moon_elf
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Moon Elves are not drow in the slightest. A quick glance should tell you that.

Moon elves (along with the sun elves) are Forgotten Realms version of the Eldarin, which are the more regal and magical variety of elves who have a deeper connection to the feywild.

All elves, whether drow, wood, or eldarin (and to a lesser extent half-elves) are going to have pointy ears as that has always been one of their defining features.
  • Options
    echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Renegade is a drow, actually, just one that doesn't fit into drow society. A regular version of the drow is supposed to be released sometime this month. There's also going to be a Sun Elf, as well as the existing Wood Elf. They're all elves, including the drow, just different subspecies, with different looks and perks. Think of dogs. A dog's a dog, but there's a big difference between different breeds.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • Options
    mithreinmaethormithreinmaethor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Moon Elves are not drow in the slightest. A quick glance should tell you that.

Moon elves (along with the sun elves) are Forgotten Realms version of the Eldarin, which are the more regal and magical variety of elves who have a deeper connection to the feywild.

All elves, whether drow, wood, or eldarin (and to a lesser extent half-elves) are going to have pointy ears as that has always been one of their defining features.

Drow and Moon Elf are both Tel-quessir and part of the Eladrin.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Visually there's not much different between any of the elves other than cosmetics.

Drow are typically shorter than other elven races (which doesn't seem to be expressed in Neverwinter) but other than that there's few differences physically other than skin, hair and eye color.

As of Fourth Edition elves are now split into Sylvan Elves and Eladrin.

Elves in Neverwinter...

Sylvan - Wood Elf
    Eladrin - Drow Elf
    Eladrin - Sun Elf
    Eladrin - Moon Elf

If you read those articles you'll know there is a lot of lore difference and some differences not translated into Neverwinter but their physical proportions are all about the same just like human ethnicities.
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Moon elfs have pale/icy blue skin, dark hair, green eyes. They allso get along with other races quite well, like to adventure, and are more of an arcane type and generally ar quite light hearted. Most moon elves are the good guys.

Drow, on the other hand, are the evil, vile elves, tainted with blood of Wendonai(a balor lord, basically a very powerful demon) and worship an evil spider godess Lolth, or Lloth as the drow name her. They have mostly red, sometimes more bluish, lavender eyes, obsidian collored skin, and mostly white, some times silver or platinm blonde hair. Drow society is quite messed up, for example, if you killed another drow, and no one saw it - it didn't happen, even if evidence clearly points to you(though be carefull who you kill, since angry matrons are a pain in the rear). Allso during your trip in a drow citty, dont mind a dagger in your back, it's pritty normal, a natural cause of death for them. If you are male, be sure to know your place, otherwhise prepare for beating. But there are good drow too, like Drizzt, Zaknafein, Jarlaxle, Solaufein, etc. and in 4e there are few non-evil drow villages.

Did I answer your questions?
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Thanks all for your replies. Rest assured. I have carefully read each one, to get the full picture. You just have to take into account, not knowing any lore. Looking at both of them, they looked exactly alike to each other. However, upon further reading into the lore. And your reply's. I can see the difference.

My question has been answered, thank you.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Keep in mind, Eladrin are a separate race of elves. They are the ancestor elves that all sub-races came from. Sun Elves are the direct descendants with the rest shooting off the tree further. Many Sun and Moon elves can "adopt the ways" of the Eladrin, and in effect by the rules of 4th edition, "become Eladrin" but physiologically and characteristically, they are still the same sub-race they were before.

. . . . . In order to be a full-blooded Eladrin born in Toril, you would have had to been born from two Eladrin parents who came over from the Feywild within the past hundred or so years. Moon elves are also adopting the way, but not all. Many choose to continue living their lives as the elves they have always been for hundreds or even thousands of years. Elves live so very long that it would take thousands of years for the Eladrin race to fully take over and become the only elven race, if it even happens at all. It's not like a magical switch flipped when the Feywild opened up and all elves became Eladrin.

. . . . . It even says in the core rulebook for Forgotten Realms 4e, that when one choose to roll an Eladrin, you must decide if you came from the Feywild or were a native sub-race that adopted the Eladrin traditions of olde.

. . . . . The Moon Elves are the most wide-spread sub-race in the Realms. This is because they are one of the sub-races that a vast majority didn't heed the call of Evermeet or the Retreat and stayed on the mainlands during the Crown Wars and there-after. After them, the Sylvan (Green and Wild) elves also are quite numerous but generally stay in secluded areas, unlike the Moon Elves, who embrace civilization. The Sun Elves, apart of some of the rare sub-races like Avariel and the Aquatic sub-races, are the rarest of the sub races on the mainland, but are still very numerous.

. . . . . The drow are another story all-together and thanks to Eilistrasee's Sacrifice, there are now actually two types of Drow. The evil drow most know, who live in the underdark and worship Lolth and other vile gods, and then the drow who had Corellon's Curse lifted from them because they still worshiped Eilistrasee (the Goddess of Good Drow) at the time of their Goddess' death. These good drow who had their Curse lifted, now more resemble the way they looked prior to the Descent, with charcoal to ash-black skin, instead of obsidian black with blue and purple undertones that their evil underdark brethren have.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes, but the "purified drow" are now called "dark elves", drow are the ones who still have Wendonai's taint. So there are "Dark elves" and "Drow".
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . The drow are another story all-together and thanks to Eilistrasee's Sacrifice, there are now actually two types of Drow. The evil drow most know, who live in the underdark and worship Lolth and other vile gods, and then the drow who had Corellon's Curse lifted from them because they still worshiped Eilistrasee (the Goddess of Good Drow) at the time of their Goddess' death. These good drow who had their Curse lifted, now more resemble the way they looked prior to the Descent, with charcoal to ash-black skin, instead of obsidian black with blue and purple undertones that their evil underdark brethren have.

Yes, but the "purified drow" are now called "dark elves", drow are still the ones who still have Wendonai's taint. So there are "Dark elves" and "Drow".
    Indeed, I don't think I said anything to the contrary.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Indeed, I don't think I said anything to the contrary.
    I know, you just didn't mention that little detail, so I felt a need to do that. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I know, you just didn't mention that little detail, so I felt a need to do that. :D
    Ah, I see now. You're quite like me then in that regard. A stickler for detail and wishing for people to not get confused. Very good!
  • Options
    sekhmetscorpiosekhmetscorpio Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Taking into account all of this lore and such, I feel like the races were implemented in a weird and backwards way. I mean if the Moon Elves are supposed to be the most common and accessible friendly elves, they should have been the 'free' race not the Sun Elves. The Sun Elves are by nature exclusive and elitist, so it would have made sense making them the ones you'd pay extra for. Since they are the free race they will be all over the place and that seems contrary to lore. Mind you, I'm not complaining, it just seems odd to me. I guess like with the Drow, we won't be playing simply Moon Elves, but a specially named faction of Moon Elves similar to Drow vs Renegade Drow. Regardless, they all seem cool. The problem is I already have 1 of every class. I love more options (its already hard to choose a race to play), but there is no point in making more characters until there is a new class to play the new character as.

......Come on RANGER..........
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    From a capitalist view, it's not backwards.
    Moon Elves might be the most prolific NPCs in Neverwinter. Those who wish to emulate the lore might prefer to play a Moon Elf - which means they'd be more likely to spend money to do so.
    Those who don't care so much will be content to play Sun Elves.
  • Options
    rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I've been wondering this ever since the announcement:

Is there any physical differences in the player character models in-game? Or did Cryptic just copy the sun elf character files, add more darker hair options, then call it a "brand new race"???
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Is there any physical differences in the player character models in-game? Or did Cryptic just copy the sun elf character files, add more darker hair options, then call it a "brand new race"???

I'm curious about it also, I'm thinking it will have a bonus stat. Like how playing a certain race adds strength points etc, from first glimpse they look almost exactly like the other race. If you don't know the lore, you could easily mistake them for being the same race.

I know I first did. These important details won't be revealed till after the expansion pack is here. One thing I noticed, they have pre orders of the pack now open. But they haven't expressively said you don't have to buy the pack to play the expansion. The expansion is in itself for free.

Its gives you a moment to pause when they're having a new zen companion nearly every month. (Not that I'm complaining) they also have time to make this p reorder pack. I sincerely believe (This is just me) when the launch started. They should have removed Heros Of the North.

Now when a new pack comes along, we don't have that same urgent impulse to buy, because we know the expansion is free and we don't' actually really need any of the items, even if we did. We could easily buy them a month or a few after the expansion, we know they're still going to be selling them.

As for the answer to you're question, I doubt we will really know till we play them. Yet they look errie similar in that being their both elfs and clothes modified sightly. (Without knowing the lore behind it)
  • Options
    echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited August 2013

That got me thinking about the current elves we have, wood elf (free) and drow ($200). If they were merely color palette swaps, I'm sure the new ones will be as well. I tried to customize them both so they were the same build, both natural faces with all the sliders right in the middle, with a toned body build.

female_zpsbd57c4b0.png

male_zps140c4e3c.png

Note that there might be slight differences in expression, because they kept looking around. Anywho, it looks like just a recolor between the Renegade Drow and Wood elf, probably only abilities and a few quests are going to make a difference.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • Options
    rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    That pretty much just confirms for me what I pretty much already knew.

So Cryptic is just taking an existing character model, changing the colour palette (assuming more darker hair options), and charging us for a "new" race.

Frankly, not enough to warrant me forking over the cash I'm afraid.
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That pretty much just confirms for me what I pretty much already knew.

So Cryptic is just taking an existing character model, changing the colour palette (assuming more darker hair options), and charging us for a "new" race.

Frankly, not enough to warrant me forking over the cash I'm afraid.

They're charging for the package, which includes a lot more than just the race... but to each their own. Did you really expect them to create a new model for an elven subrace though? An elf is an elf is an elf, whether they have tanned, pale, or dark skin.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . I don't mind, after all this is a role-playing game. I play various races not for the "I win" factor or to be better than another race. I play them for the lore, the role-playing, and because of my love of D&D. There's plenty of games out there for instant gratification and I don't play them because of it. I play MMORPGs for the RPG.

. . . . . Besides, there really isn't much difference physically speaking, between the elven races in the Forgotten Realms other than skin, hair, and eye color. So, I'd say they're on the right track. However... my drow are still missing their blue and green eye color choices as well as a yellowish hair hue (for the sick or elderly drow).

. . . . . The Forgotten Realms are not like other fantasy genres where the elves are almost freakishly different than each other, except for when you get to the Lytharii, Avariel, and Aquatic Elves. That is, unless you still count Drider as being elven. What sets the elven races apart are their societies and small differences in innate abilities, their looks are almost always only different in relation to hair, eye, and skin-tone. The High Elves and Drow however, tend to be the taller of the sub-races, especially in females - which can be manipulated with the Leg Length slider in the advanced appearance settings when creating a character in game. Granted, its not that big of a height difference but neither is it in The Forgotten Realms either, which this game is of.
  • Options
    caelithcaelith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2013
    echokazul wrote: »
    The Renegade is a drow, actually, just one that doesn't fit into drow society. A regular version of the drow is supposed to be released sometime this month. There's also going to be a Sun Elf, as well as the existing Wood Elf. They're all elves, including the drow, just different subspecies, with different looks and perks. Think of dogs. A dog's a dog, but there's a big difference between different breeds.

Who are you comparing to dogs....

RP aside this is on the ball.

They all look the same but have different skin tones to make it simple.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    echokazul wrote: »
    That got me thinking about the current elves we have, wood elf (free) and drow ($200). If they were merely color palette swaps, I'm sure the new ones will be as well. I tried to customize them both so they were the same build, both natural faces with all the sliders right in the middle, with a toned body build.

female_zpsbd57c4b0.png

male_zps140c4e3c.png

Note that there might be slight differences in expression, because they kept looking around. Anywho, it looks like just a recolor between the Renegade Drow and Wood elf, probably only abilities and a few quests are going to make a difference.

It seems a tad messed up, these two models look who similar. Since one is supposed be a race, you only obtain by placing 200 hundred dollars down, and the other is free. Now an upcoming pack with a new race unlocked. However as noted by the poster, above.

The free elf, moon elf race and Hero of North, Half Elf seem to share one thing. They look very similar to each other. Nothing that stands out expect for the clothing. Which is a bit sad, if people are putting down 60 dollars for a pack with a bunch of goodies, to get a new companion, new mount, and a new race.

I have to question, if packs are so easily made. They seem to be creating zen store companions at a rapid pace. If they are so easy to create, why not take the time to make the model look unique and different then its counter parts. They could have added special features.

This feels more like an attempt to rattle, the dimes and nickles from our pockets then a sincere attempt to redo a race. I support this game, a thousand percent. However, I was easily able point out similarities with the race. Why don't they make them more different and unique.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    It seems a tad messed up, these two models look who similar. Since one is supposed be a race, you only obtain by placing 200 hundred dollars down, and the other is free. Now an upcoming pack with a new race unlocked. However as noted by the poster, above.

The free elf, moon elf race and Hero of North, Half Elf seem to share one thing. They look very similar to each other. Nothing that stands out expect for the clothing. Which is a bit sad, if people are putting down 60 dollars for a pack with a bunch of goodies, to get a new companion, new mount, and a new race.

I have to question, if packs are so easily made. They seem to be creating zen store companions at a rapid pace. If they are so easy to create, why not take the time to make the model look unique and different then its counter parts. They could have added special features.

This feels more like an attempt to rattle, the dimes and nickles from our pockets then a sincere attempt to redo a race. I support this game, a thousand percent. However, I was easily able point out similarities with the race. Why don't they make them more different and unique.
    . . . . . I don't understand why their appearance matters simply because their appearance in game falls in line with the Lore of the Realms, apart from a few missing eye and hair color tones. Additionally, you can tweak their appearances with the advanced options in creation. Of course if you look at two of the same default models, they're going to appear strikingly similar.

. . . . . In actuality, the appearances between the elven sub-races in the Realms is not that different and, for the most-part, falls in line with what we see in game now. When you take away hair, eye, and skin color in PnP Realms, they are are pretty much the same just as they are when doing the same in Neverwinter Online. As I said above, what sets the sub-races apart in the Realms (apart from Lytharii, Avariel, and Aquatics) are their societies and innate abilities, which is reflected in the lore and innate abilities in game for these sub-races. So really, people are just complaining that PWE/Cryptic are following the lore of the Realms? Odd, indeed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . I don't understand why their appearance matters simply because their appearance in game falls in line with the Lore of the Realms, apart from a few missing eye and hair color tones. Additionally, you can tweak their appearances with the advanced options in creation. Of course if you look at two of the same default models, they're going to appear strikingly similar.

. . . . . In actuality, the appearances between the elven sub-races in the Realms is not that different and, for the most-part, falls in line with what we see in game now. When you take away hair, eye, and skin color in PnP Realms, they are are pretty much the same just as they are when doing the same in Neverwinter Online. As I said above, what sets the sub-races apart in the Realms (apart from Lytharii, Avariel, and Aquatics) are their societies and innate abilities, which is reflected in the lore and innate abilities in game for these sub-races. So really, people are just complaining that PWE/Cryptic are following the lore of the Realms? Odd, indeed.

It's not so much as complaining. I've very pleased this corporation allowed the gamers to buy on a game which barely lags, delivers some visually amazingly stunning graphics. It would be fine, if the models that looked similar were both free.

But they are not, these are races, we have to pay 60 bucks to 200 to get access to, considering the amount of money, we would invest simply to have this race. I just thought they could have gone a tiny bit out of their way to make the model, look a bit more unique.

In a game, where they create HD like graphics. I would think they could tweak the apperance, just a tad more so it doesn't look nearly exactly like another race. I am just expressing my viewpoint, as my first thoughts. (This is someone who hasn't read the lore in detail) my complaint is, for the money we're paying. They could have done a tiny bit more, when making the new starter packs.
  • Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

A lot of these companions already existed [during beta], but were removed before open beta began. Now that the game has gone live, they're adding them back to the game...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    A lot of these companions already existed [during beta], but were removed before open beta began. Now that the game has gone live, they're adding them back to the game...

You're telling me, they created these companions. Months ahead before the game to actually release. Then placed it on Zen market after a few months of it launching. If I had known, the Zen store would sell all the important items. (Mounts, Enchanted Keys) I may have reconsidered my choice for Hero of the North.

However, the Hero of North provides me with a spider mount. No matter which alt I'm on. Along with an adventure pack, which is a box of items you don't really use. The diamonds it provided was nice. However I spent a majority of them on the first day of soft launch when the prices we're still outrageous.
  • Options
    caelithcaelith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2013

It is not so much paying for a unique race as it is paying for early access to a unique version of a free race.

As said in the lore the elf races look identical apart from skin tone, hair colours and eye colours. The same will happen if they add variants of the dwarfs, halflings and gnomes.
    You're telling me, they created these companions. Months ahead before the game to actually release. Then placed it on Zen market after a few months of it launching. If I had known, the Zen store would sell all the important items. (Mounts, Enchanted Keys) I may have reconsidered my choice for Hero of the North.

However, the Hero of North provides me with a spider mount. No matter which alt I'm on. Along with an adventure pack, which is a box of items you don't really use. The diamonds it provided was nice. However I spent a majority of them on the first day of soft launch when the prices we're still outrageous.

I can understand them been in the beta for the sake of testing, I do wish they would add more companions to ingame vendors or drops instead of having them as zen store or very rare drops from various things (Lillend was going for 3mill AD on dragon).

I got the Guardian pack, mostly to support the game and because the free max speed mount on all characters saves me a fortune not to mention the free blue weapon that is great till level 20+.

I do wish they would balance companions more so that you see people using something other than Pheora to level and Stone/Cat at max.
  • Options
    xaituxaitu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm one of those people who had no interest in anything the packs offered -except- the race (merely added cosmetic options.) I'd be happy if they sold those separately for people unwilling to waste money purchasing stuff they don't really want. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Since they're calling the "Moon Elves" in the Feywild pack "Sharandar Elves," I'm leaning toward that they plan on adding normal Moon Elves at some point also, which would make me even more happy!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Since they're calling the "Moon Elves" in the Feywild pack "Sharandar Elves," I'm leaning toward that they plan on adding normal Moon Elves at some point also, which would make me even more happy!

I'm slightly confused. You say, they are calling them. The "Sharandar Elves instead of Moon Elf Races. However when I click on the promotion pack, it details all the things you get. It clearly says "Moon Elf Race. Could you clarify if they are indeed selling Moon Race, or did I misinterpret that?

http://nw.perfectworld.com/feywildpack

Details:

Moon Elf Race

Playable race that comes with unique stat bonuses as well as unique Wanderlust and Moon Elf Resilience racial powers. Can be used to make as many characters as you want, as long as you have slots available!