test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thinking of Downloading this Game...

Comments

• Options
    raddatackraddatack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The queue is actually over 30 minutes for most classes, 45 minutes if you're lucky, don't be fooled by the 15 minutes. Most of the groups you get will also be incompetent and fail and thus you waste your queue.

I queue and it generally takes maybe 10-15 minutes.
    search%3Fq%3Ddungeons%2Band%2Bdragons%2Blogo%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=dungeons+and+dragons+logo&usg=__h0EtYmMBvby3i0RqIk3wKubdfTU=&docid=2eAJThLCmGZbCM&sa=X&ei=35r_Uac9ldzgA9fsgJgJ&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=295
  • Options
    raddatackraddatack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    abzeroth wrote: »
    Hey there! I just reached 60 today. I played at most 5-7 hours a week, AT MOST. This by no means is a perfect game, and it has flaws, but also has good points. So I'll tell you what they are!

The Good:

- easy leveling, you can be solo and take your time all the way to 60
    - has a lot of content, in fact I haven't seen the same enemy twice, unlike WoW where at level 1 you fight a yellow crab, but at 60 you fight a BIG RED CRAB with the same model lol.
    - has a really well integrated battle system. I love that you can dodge attacks at the last second.
    - lots of configurations for the different classes
    - money and resources are shared account wide!

The Bad:

- very very easy. The bosses and big minions do this: AOE attack, line atack, spawn minions, AOE attack, line attack, spawn minions, repeat x10000000000.
    - the game has so many inconveniences in order to make you buy Zen with real money. Essentially everything has an inconvenience to make you want to spend money. Example:

----3 SMALL bags only, and a big GOOD bag costs 10$ or **** ton of Astral Diamonds,
    ----bank has 20 slots (or something small), you can buy more slots with, you guessed it, real money
    ----you must buy teleport scrolls which cost a LOT of Astral Diamonds considering the grind you have to put in, or just use real money....
    ----made a mistake in your spec? well too bad you have to pay a LOT of Astral Diamonds to respec,
    ----the list literally goes on

- 3 game currencies, GOLD, ASTRAL DIAMONDS, and ZEN (Real money)
    - Everything that's important aside from mount and injury kits costs Astral Diamonds, which is a real grind to get, you'll see what I mean when you play

Conclusion:

Definitely give this game a shot. It's just an open beta now so changes will comes (I pray). I enjoyed my trek to level 60 but I can 100% see they modeled the game specifically to inconvenience you in order to pay money. I haven't spent a single dollar just because it put me off how the game was modeled. The game deserves money, for sure, but this model just really got me put off. I was gonna buy the 50$ package but then I started leveling :P

GIVE IT A TRY, but save your monies!!

Funny how all the cons revolve around real money or AD. The scrolls and banks are not a must buy and yeah everything might be a bit pricey with the AD but you can earn AD so fast so it's not like it matters.
    search%3Fq%3Ddungeons%2Band%2Bdragons%2Blogo%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=dungeons+and+dragons+logo&usg=__h0EtYmMBvby3i0RqIk3wKubdfTU=&docid=2eAJThLCmGZbCM&sa=X&ei=35r_Uac9ldzgA9fsgJgJ&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=295
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's fun for leveling, but the game really isnt what it seem like at first glance.

Pros
    -Fun combat system
    -All classes are different
    -First few zones have fun quests
    -Dungeons are neat and pretty.

Cons
    -Very small zones
    -Very linear zones
    -Utterly boring boss fights (adds, adds and then some adds)
    -Leveling is way to quick
    -Everything feels even smaller and quicker once you get your mount.
    -Poor drop rates in dungeons (only worth doing during dungeon delves really, still bad drops though).
    -Frustratingly boring crafting system
    -Gold isnt worth anything really (you get basic crafting items, pots and injury kits for it pretty much)
    -You must spend alot of AD to get more bags (you get 1 at start and 2 from quests, 18 and 12 slot)
    -Gear customization (dyes and appearance change) costs an arm and a leg
    -Horrible clipping issues, facial hair, noses, tails, ears, horns, eyebrows etc sticking through armor/helmets, even on races where you though clipping wouldnt even be an issue, like halflings with sideburns and such or dwarven noses sticking through the helmet visor.
    -Lack of PvP gear/PvP gearing rules/limitations.

You shouldn't ever expected the pvp to be good. This game is meant for pve. Pvp is just something added to the game.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    raddatack wrote: »
    I queue and it generally takes maybe 10-15 minutes.

Well it's not the same for everyone. Depending on class, level, and what you are queuing for the times can be drastically different. For example I (GWF) was trying to do the level 54 Skirmish last night and was in the queue for an hour and gave up.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OP, if you like UGC and want to play or create your own, then go for it! If you just want to try the next MMO, skip it. There's plenty of better MMOs out there that won't try to bleed your wallet dry.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    OP, if you like UGC and want to play or create your own, then go for it! If you just want to try the next MMO, skip it. There's plenty of better MMOs out there that won't try to bleed your wallet dry.

Literally I have no idea what you are talking about. You can play this game without spending any money at all. The only thing you can blame for bleeding a wallet dry in this game is the owner of the wallet.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Literally I have no idea what you are talking about. You can play this game without spending any money at all. The only thing you can blame for bleeding a wallet dry in this game is the owner of the wallet.

UGC = user-generated content, aka: the Foundry. If the OP enjoys playing user-made quests or wants to try it themselves, there's little else out there like Neverwinter (except for the original Neverwinter Nights, Star Trek Online, etc.).

As for bleeding your wallet dry, it's due to the far too expensive price of things for the in-game shop. And the game is certainly playable free, 100%, but everything in the game is designed to egg you on to spend money to make things easier and more manageable.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    UGC = user-generated content, aka: the Foundry. If the OP enjoys playing user-made quests or wants to try it themselves, there's little else out there like Neverwinter (except for the original Neverwinter Nights, Star Trek Online, etc.).

As for bleeding your wallet dry, it's due to the far too expensive price of things for the in-game shop. And the game is certainly playable free, 100%, but everything in the game is designed to egg you on to spend money to make things easier and more manageable.

I know about the foundry. It was only the money part. I still haven't had the urge to spend any amount of money on this game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I know about the foundry. It was only the money part. I still haven't had the urge to spend any amount of money on this game.

I have. Especially when my inventory and bank space was being eaten up with enchantments, potions, crafting node kits, etc. Congrats on not being tempted.

But do you really thin a F2P game is designed to encourage players to spend no money at all? Especially a PWE one? If you think that you're sorely mistaken. ;)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I have. Especially when my inventory and bank space was being eaten up with enchantments, potions, crafting node kits, etc. Congrats on not being tempted.

But do you really thin a F2P game is designed to encourage players to spend no money at all? Especially a PWE one? If you think that you're sorely mistaken. ;)

Not saying that they're not. And use the guild bank for for runes and enchantments. Also if you combine them you can shorten the amount you have by a good amount.
  • Options
    s4c63s4c63 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So don't download this game?

First, if you're an experienced gamer you know that there are haters in every game. Those "Sons-of-WoW" that believe everything should be handed to them without much effort.

This game is different. It isn't a face-palm game like WoW. If you like a bit more of a challenge than most MMO's then give it a shot, I personally think it is great and so do many many others. Remember, only less than 3% of a games playerbase visits, reads, and responds in the games forum, and then majority of that 3% are negative posts (the haters have a soapbox and they use it.) The other 97% are happily playing the game.

But, please don't take my word for it, just dload it and try it out. I'm betting you will love it -- as most others do. If you don't then just delete the game and move-on. It costs you nothing.

But, I do warn you if your coming from WoW where every move you make is told to you by DBM, then you may strugle with NW in the beginning. However, if you stick with it you will find an extremely rewarding experience.

Try it out!
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    abzeroth wrote: »
    Definitely give this game a shot. It's just an open beta now so changes will comes (I pray). I enjoyed my trek to level 60 but I can 100% see they modeled the game specifically to inconvenience you in order to pay money. I haven't spent a single dollar just because it put me off how the game was modeled. The game deserves money, for sure, but this model just really got me put off. I was gonna buy the 50$ package but then I started leveling :P
    The game isn't in open beta anymore. And as for the money stuff, that's always puzzled me why people complain about it. Instead of paying $50 dollars for a game initially and then paying to subscribe to it every month, we get a 100% free game. Even if you decide to spend $25 dollars on the Zen-market the first month, it still makes the game half the price it would normally be. Why is this such a bad thing? Also, there's no subscription fee at all, and (most) new content is free. So if you reach lvl 60 and get bored, you can simply leave the game until more content is out. It won't cost you anything at all. This isn't a game where you need to play every day to get your money's worth.

Besides, everything in the Zen-market is optional. Need more bags? I don't. Need a mouth? If you don't want to spend money on it, get one for in-game gold. It'll probably just be a horse, but hey, a mount's a mount, right? (quite literally for some, as they only consider the stats, and couldn't care less about the 'skin'. Bear, tiger, horse? Same thing.) The only slightly questionable decision about the 'real money issue' is that Fury of the Feywild (the first add-on) will introduce Sun Elves as a free, playable race, but you have to pay to play a Moon Elf. Some people complain about this, and say Moon Elves should be free. Personally, I don't really care. I am not exactly a hardcore elf-player, or D&D player, for that matter.

Then again, that is another fun thing about this game. New content are added regulary. And not just small things, either, but module 1 in late august will have a new area and new races and a better Foundry, among other thing. It can make you wonder what module 2, and 3 and 4 will bring us - for free, of course. ;)
  • Options
    oldbuggaoldbugga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't believe that respec'ing is optional....it should NOT cost $3-$5 in real money each time. It is an unavoidable tax especially as there is little guidance in-game for character building.
    The older I get....the better I was
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Well, if you really need to create the 'best character ever', why not look at a thread on character builds? And besides, how often do you respect anyway? I don't think I've ever done it in any MMO ever. The only exception is Marvel Heroes, but we got free respects there with the free RetCon device (respect device) we got in the story anyway.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The problem with repecs is that Neverwinter doesn't have a dual-spec system in place. Some people like to PvP a lot as well as PvE. A lot of times what works really well in one doesn't work quite so well in the other.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Play it , give it a try , it is quite a good game , granted it does have some flaws that are slowly getting dealt with and fixed plus yes there is a certain lack of endgame content but there is a lot of new stuff coming over the next few months , I was going to abandon this for ESO when that comes out but now I'm probably going to play both because as time goes on I am more and more impressed with Neverwinter , just remember though , it has got a fair number of flaws at the moment that need quite a lot of work but it is worth sticking with , that's my opinion.
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2013
    s4c63 wrote: »
    First, if you're an experienced gamer you know that there are haters in every game. Those "Sons-of-WoW" that believe everything should be handed to them without much effort.

This game is different. It isn't a face-palm game like WoW. If you like a bit more of a challenge than most MMO's then give it a shot, I personally think it is great and so do many many others. Remember, only less than 3% of a games playerbase visits, reads, and responds in the games forum, and then majority of that 3% are negative posts (the haters have a soapbox and they use it.) The other 97% are happily playing the game.

But, please don't take my word for it, just dload it and try it out. I'm betting you will love it -- as most others do. If you don't then just delete the game and move-on. It costs you nothing.

But, I do warn you if your coming from WoW where every move you make is told to you by DBM, then you may strugle with NW in the beginning. However, if you stick with it you will find an extremely rewarding experience.

Try it out!

This man is still 5 years behind, living in the time when it was cool to bash WoW. This game is not easier or harder than WoW, it's not even the same type of game, so they cant be compared. It would be like comparing FF11 to FF14, even though the only things they share would be the name Final Fantasy and the monsters, gameplay wise they are worlds apart, just like NW and WoW.

This game is far from hard, it's actually much easier to level up and gear up in this game compared to the dead horse called WoW that people like to beat. You can buy everything from the AH in this game and you can spend RL money to get it even faster if you cant manage AD. After getting your gear there is little to do. Respecs are also overpriced, trait respec is even more overpriced.

Also, dont listen to random % numbers on the internet, they always lie.

And the game costs you something, time, which you wont get back.
  • Options
    izoldaizolda Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Rift just went Free to Play, and for a triple A former Pay to Play development being finally free, the amount of content it offers is 3 times more than Neverwinter could ever be in the next 2 years (assume it's still alive)

The problem with this game is it's extremely linear, get from point A to point B, point B to point C, so linear that not even Foundry can save it.

It's the traditional Neverwinter Night, except missing one thing, the STORY. In Neverwinter Night, you actually care about the story and the characters development. This game you just do random quests to level up to max 60, then sitting there with nothing to do but grind the same Foundry, even so, the Foundry reward is pathetic wasting time.
  • Options
    prettyboysetaprettyboyseta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited July 2013
    worth the download. it's worthwhile. it might not work for you but for an f2p MMO it's fun.
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Im a RPer and Altaholic I love this game
    -The official RP server is mindflayer-
    first of all i loved the post on content locusts. It is so true.
    what i did to "slow things down" as it were is i made multible characters (5)

since its so easy to level right past content with invocation/dailies/foundry
    i looked over the achivement jornal and noted what titles each character would want.
    (other than the 2 zones that drop bags)
    then chose 2-3 zones for each character. (though i do ALL skirmishes as you cannot do them later.)
    when not in level range for said zones ill just invoke/foundry/pvp/dailies.

this way every character has a unique experiance on thier way to cap.
    And once I am at cap i can always go back and finish zones i skip.
    there is a lot of different options for spending your time as long as you dont locust.

this game could use a lot more character customization and emotes,
    though the customization it has is vastly superior to wow when it first came out.
    and the foundry is the ultimate in RP tools.
    this game has great rp guilds and cool pick up rp in moonstone mask.
    they could use guildhalls.
  • Options
    alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    :confused:
    Hi,
    I'm wondering is this game worth playing?
    I heard the dungeon Q takes FOREVER to place you into a group (except for Guardian)

I'd like to hear your thoughts...
    Thanks!

Don't do it now. Wait some time, maybe some months, then check forum again You would download, enjoy leveling, then bore a lot. And it would be frustrating because you'd like your class but you'll have only the same few things to do. Even if you do dungeon like me. I always enjoyed online game that were not new and now i know why. But it's free, so you can try. Just make sure you don't spend money now.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The game is funny, ok, but please, don't justify terrible idea like cost of respec, or "end game" gear BOE. Wow was a good game. Now is an old game. I never liked the idea of paying each month, but the game had lot of features and a good balance, an awesome end game. Speaking only about game NVN is better, of course. It's new and combat is really good. But, seriously, almost all game is exp or add spam. Leveling is really good. Too fast, too easy (to reach 60 i never used more potions that i could drop, and i ended with 2 60 char with tons of potions).
    And if we speak of new games like GW2? Not free (less than 40
  • Options
    fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    It depend on what you want from the game.

If you are a typical MMO rush to max level, rush to get best gear, then parade around showing off your epeen, then this game is not for you.

You can hit max level in a couple of days. You can get all your T2 gear on the AH at a low cost.

However.....

If you are a forgotten realms fan, if you are a RP fan, if you are a DnD fan then chances are you will like it.

I also think the game specifically caters to people that are not crazy hardcore 8 hour a day players. I know i may get ripped by hardcore people, but i dont mind that the game is ok for casual players.

You can follow the schedule and pick the right times according to events to farm nodes, or do dungeons, or do pvp, etc.
  • Options
    maggalberrymaggalberry Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    oldbugga wrote: »
    I don't believe that respec'ing is optional....it should NOT cost $3-$5 in real money each time. It is an unavoidable tax especially as there is little guidance in-game for character building.

You can spend Astral Diamonds on Zen to buy the re-spec, so yes, it is optional.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah it cost only like 2 end game piece of armor... that respec.
  • Options
    maggalberrymaggalberry Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    alecstorm wrote: »
    Yeah it cost only like 2 end game piece of armor... that respec.

If 100k diamonds (300 zen for 334 Diamonds per 1 Zen) is a lot, I don't know what to tell you. 100k is EASY to obtain.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You don't get the point. Players feel bad because at every move you make in the game you have to spend AD, so basically you are "encouraged" to buy zen, spend money to obtain mounts, companions, buffs, and so on. But why someone should spend 3$ for a respec and 35$ for a mount when with 39€ you can buy GW2? It's nonsense, this game can't go far this way.
  • Options
    parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    -The official RP server is mindflayer-
    That would be unofficial.
  • Options
    celestreacelestrea Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've been playing for about two weeks now, the game can be quite liner but as with all things it depends how you play it. I have completely avoided buying Zen and Astral Diamonds (AD can be earned very easily), as a result not only have I not spent a penny of RL currency, but the game has been made more challenging and therefore more rewarding because of it.

As for the WoW comparison, I tried it for the first time last week and they cannot be more different, I personally find NWO much more user friendly, with little to no griefing and guilds who are just as lovely.

The only downsides I would say (bearing in mind this is a F2P game and I'm just going from my own experiences so far), is the emphasis the community put on spending RL money and the fact that if you run a dungeon with a random group 9 times out of 10 they will all quit the first time you lose (and you will lose sometimes).

If you're a complete D&D virgin it can be quite difficult to get your head around things like gearscores and the abbreviations but there are always really nice people around who will be happy to translate for you.

You should give it a go, I expected very very little, my experiences of MMORPGS have been disappointing up until I found NWO =]
  • Options
    dissengulp71dissengulp71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is a great game initially and a lot depends on what type of player you are. You can talk about content locusts all you want but it all revolves around what kind of player you are. If you are casual then it is probably an AMAZING game and it is free. As a casual player you won't go through the content so fast and get bored out of your gourd when you reach cap and find yourself wanting a more immersive challenging story driven end game. If you are a Dungeons and Dragons enthusiast or purest well the game is a bit of a hybrid as it tries to give you the feel of Dungeons and Dragons within the realm of an MMO and just not sure they did it any better than DDO and I have played both NW and DDO at length. At least in DDO there was so many different character build options because of multi-classing. As of now you are stuck in one class from start to finish with little to no customization of your powers / skills.

If you are an end game oriented player well I'd say don't bother downloading NW for the time being as the game is still very new and the end game is mediocre at best right now. We can only hope the end game gets more immersive and better over time :).
    Frothy Ironanvil, Lvl 60 Dwarven Cleric
    Leader, Stormblades
    Dragon Shard