Options

so pvp is pointless now?

2»

Comments

• Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lemollen wrote: »
    Why is it you do not enjoy the pvp? Is it because you got owned too hard?

Maybe he doesn't even play PvP , he can't really " get owned "( are you 12 btw ?) if he doesn't play you know what I mean ?
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Which is why I wish they'd take it out of all those games - so that the "l33t pvp d00ds" (who can't be bothered to find a real pvp game) will stop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the rest of the game when the devs respond to their complaints by trying to "balance" things.

Ridiculous comment!

People are clearly out of order wanting better and more balanced pvp in an mmorpg!

I agree with one thing though, for PVP go somewhere else. Shame on you Cryptic
  • Options
    metaplexusmetaplexus Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I enjoy playing it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and you try to improve your own skills all the time. Rewards don't matter. Though like 1% of the players share this point of view.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vagdush wrote: »
    Statistics pulled out of thin air are correct 20-80% of the time.
    The point is that PVPers are in every game and if you dumped pvper you just lost a significant portion of your games population. I can't help that you don't want to admit this. Some games have a much lower number of PVPers and some games have a very high concentration of PVPers. Deal with it.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The point is, and has always been, to have fun fighting other players.

Rewards, such as gear/money, are just the icing on the cake not the underlying motivation. Anyone who is in it just for the AD, just for game "completion", just for the gear etc, is really just a pver. These are all fine reasons to play the pvp game, but don't confuse yourself by thinking that not having these things takes away the reason pvpers like to pvp. Those rewards are just there to satisfy the pve crowd and to give the pvpers a foot into the pve game-to tie the community together so to speak.

Now why are so many people playing pvp in NW? Because it is that good. It is so good in fact that players and mods who posted repeatedly and in no uncertain terms that they despised pvp during closed beta have actually been sucked into the pvp game and now seem to like it.

For me the question is what is the point of pve? There is more fun, a higher level of cooperation and competition to be had in pvp. It is easier to get into (less waiting time/ queues pop faster), and it is a type of game play you can only enjoy over the internet in games like this.

PVE in mmos on the other hand just feels like a dumbed down and boring version of single player rpgs with a social chat element. I would much prefer to play KoA or Dragons Dogma etc when I want to have that kind of adventure.
  • Options
    bpskibbenheimsbpskibbenheims Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    shorlong wrote: »
    Has there ever been a point to PvP in ANY MMORPG? I thought it was just a bigger e-peen contest?

I thought it was just for fun.
    "Confusion is the T-Rex of tire faucets."
    -Sir Bartholomew P. Skibbenheims III, Esquire, Twice Removed

steam.php?id=BPSkibbenheims&pngimg=http:%@^%@^www.backfiregaming.net%@^bartswap%@^bartsig.png&tborder=1
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    tenshi36 wrote: »
    what exactly are we supposed to do with glory now?

I use PvP glory to buy gear and sell on the AH.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    masu84masu84 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    I use PvP glory to buy gear and sell on the AH.
    This will be impossible after next patch (PvP gear = Char bind!).

So what would you do after patch? Maybe you will not play PvP any longer.
    But PvP was the only reason for playing NW? Well... same here...
    No leaver penality in PvP!

And here is the reason:
    ghostravyn wrote: »
    If you want people to stay for the match end even when you're sitting on a 600-10 score and you've decided to be ***-hats and spawn-camp, you need to give them a reason. Punishing them is not the answer. That's just pouring salt-acid into an already bleeding wound.
  • Options
    cdave78cdave78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The combat in this game is what attracts the pvp players. I don't care about gear or AD take it all away i still will pvp. I find it more fun then grinding the same dungeons everyday. I just hope that they will add more to it eventually. The game is still new and im betting im not the only one that feels like this
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Honestly from my pretty vast experience with MMOs its close to a 50/50 split on PVP focused players and PVE focused players...

Why people see the skew is that typically the best gear is achieved through PVE so PVPers (like myself) do PVE SO they can PVP better... Where as PVE-ers get sole satisfaction from PVEing and only with to PVE better which is why they get more gear... (makes no sense to me honestly)

The beauty of PVP is that it doesnt take a TON of new content all the time, just balance... The beauty of PVE is that it doesnt take a ton of balance (GFs dont care if TRs are OP in PVE for instance) but it DOES take alot of new content to keep people playing...

Right now Neverwinter suffers VASTLY on the PVP side. While you dont need a ton of new content, people have been playing the same 2 maps all the time, and at NO matchmaking system AND no ranking system. I really think the DEVs underestimate how much ranking systems bring to the table AND even 1 more pvp map...

To see this blatantly, look at a game like Halo. You have a small handful of maps (call it 4-5) that people really enjoy playing, over and over and over... what changes? Their opponants (NW has this, so CHECK!) But what else? Oh they get a higher "rank" or "level" for playing others...

This is what is really missing... Variety of maps/play types AND a ranking system...

Add that, and PVP will really take off...
  • Options
    hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Now?

PvP was pointless to begin with, IMHO.

And I don't recall HALO ever having a ranking system. You just played. No rewards, no nothing but teabagging the opponent's corpse. THAT is what PvP should be here. No rewards, no motivation other than the sheer enjoyment of TRUE PvP.
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • Options
    taish0taish0 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually pvp in this game is pointless because every single game is 4v5 or 5v4. Having loses count for daily pvp also doesn't help, because people just queue, join and go afk (not sure if even dc during battleground at start and not coming back deprives you of your daily reward).
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's an idea! Foundry pvp! anything from 1v1 to well.. whatever the game can handle. This could be from a pve race to just last man standing.
  • Options
    borgued3borgued3 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 150 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    audiogg wrote: »
    Making game changes based on pvp is ridiculous, it yields nothing to this game or the players playing it, it's not competitive at all nor do you gain anything by doing it - you don't balance a game around that kind of garbage.

tell that to cryptic, because thats what they just did. Unskilled pvp players cryed so much on rogues rolling over them that they went and nerfed the rogue, however they only destroyed the pve rogue, the pvp ones will keep rolling over people.
  • Options
    eschatonikeschatonik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    Here's an idea! Foundry pvp! anything from 1v1 to well.. whatever the game can handle. This could be from a pve race to just last man standing.

Shut up and take my money! THIS is a really good idea. Besides the fact that countless other PvP games in other genres have thrived with a player-map-creation model, imagine the possibilities...for oh, say, Guild Lairs (and Guild Lair Raiding).
  • Options
    godsdozergodsdozer Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    ...I miss my undead warlock .....

Shadowbane?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    DaoC, GW2, WoW, Shadowbane, WaR and so on are good examples of PvP having a point. In this game, not so much, I honestly think FFXIV will have more of a point to it's "guildhest" story based pvp.

I actually enjoy PvP in this game though, it's fun and has more of an action fell to it. But there is no purpose to it really.

Shadowbane had the best, most overall balanced pvp I have ever played, not to mention the most fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Which is why I wish they'd take it out of all those games - so that the "l33t pvp d00ds" (who can't be bothered to find a real pvp game) will stop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the rest of the game when the devs respond to their complaints by trying to "balance" things.

Why would you want to spend hours leveling up and gearing a character to just compete against weak Ai? Isnt it more fun to compete against other humans?
  • Options
    durkanaandurkanaan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    godsdozer wrote: »
    Why would you want to spend hours leveling up and gearing a character to just compete against weak Ai? Isnt it more fun to compete against other humans?

This exactly.

For the people who like PVE, it will grow old, trust me. I played a few other non-PVP games in the past and it was fun for a few years. After a while, when it became a simple matter of looking up strategies online and following them (something any moron can do), it gets boring. I mean seriously... how many times do you want to kill the Pirate King? It's the same fight every time.

Playing against other people is where the challenge is. You don't always know what's coming and that's why its vastly more fun. Every fight is a little different.

Frankly, from a PVP standpoint, the balance in this game is terrible and the lack of interesting places to fight for people who like to solo queue is bringing it down. I don't know how long I'll stay with it. It has a ton of potential, but it's not realized yet.
  • Options
    zydrateacademyzydrateacademy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Been playing two weeks. Played 5 matches, lost every single one.
    I don't get it.
  • Options
    pw3ckapw3cka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    Guys, please stop mentioning better games. It's not constructive to point out how other games in the genre handled PvP!

Honestly, I still do somehow enjoy the game, I am not really planning to leave but I also do not really plan to pay a single penny more.

But the way they run this forum is almost making me to leave. Closing PVP threads in a PVP forum (I do not know what they expect , PVP forum is mostly about E-peening between few threads of possible builds and other e-peening).

And now this, just s single mention of how we would like NWN to work, giving other game name so we can better explain. And bam, mod is here stating the rules..

eh..