test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

so pvp is pointless now?

tenshi36tenshi36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
what exactly are we supposed to do with glory now?
Post edited by tenshi36 on

Comments

• Options
    silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    buy potions and sell potions for gold
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sell the armor you obtain for AD at the AH.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    pvp has always been pointless
    edited July 2013
    Has there ever been a point to PvP in this game lol?
  • Options
    juravianjuravian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 63
    edited July 2013
    Was there ever really a point to PvP? Once you cap out on the gear, there is no reason to PvP anyway.

If it had an impact to anything outside of PvP, like giving PvE bonuses or opening PvE dungeons for winning PvP matches, that would give a reason to PvP.

Now it's just a fun thing to do to pass the time, which never helps the longevity of it.
  • Options
    shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Has there ever been a point to PvP in ANY MMORPG? I thought it was just a bigger e-peen contest?
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    ...I miss my undead warlock .....
    edited July 2013
    armenua wrote: »
    Lineage 2 had an important reason for PvP. While the whole world was open pvp zones and you could pvp from level 1, there were castles, skills, buffs, gear, and the ability to fight the epic bosses that dropped a ton load of really great loot... and many other things at stake for the pvp ... it was an integrated part of the game. Every other MMO I have played since then only dabbles with PvP, creating factions and battlegrounds, making it a past time but not a real part of the game.

THIS THIS THIS is exactly what I want from my MMO's. I still miss L2, but I will never play retail there again because of all the bots and farmers.

PVP in NW however is mostly inconsequential to the grand scheme of things (like most MMO's). That being said, if you want an alternate path to gear, or you are a completionist and want the achievements then PVP does offer a sideshow.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Sell items for AD in order to obtain mount, ench, and so on without buying zen with real money.
  • Options
    silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    Sell the armor you obtain for AD at the AH.

i think the topic is to think when the new patch goes live XD since it will be BoP then you are not going to be able to do that
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sell the armor for AD at the recycler?

That is only if they add the recycler back into the game.
  • Options
    kright0nkright0n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PVP's point was to get TR nerfed, mission accomplished.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Please refrain from discussing other MMO games, pursuant to RoC. Keep discussions pertinent to Neverwinter.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    audioggaudiogg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kright0n wrote: »
    PVP's point was to get TR nerfed, mission accomplished.

Making game changes based on pvp is ridiculous, it yields nothing to this game or the players playing it, it's not competitive at all nor do you gain anything by doing it - you don't balance a game around that kind of garbage.
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2013
    shorlong wrote: »
    Has there ever been a point to PvP in ANY MMORPG? I thought it was just a bigger e-peen contest?

DaoC, GW2, WoW, Shadowbane, WaR and so on are good examples of PvP having a point. In this game, not so much, I honestly think FFXIV will have more of a point to it's "guildhest" story based pvp.

I actually enjoy PvP in this game though, it's fun and has more of an action fell to it. But there is no purpose to it really.
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The point of playing PvP used to be making AD. You could sell PvP gear and Dancing Blades on AH for good profits. And it actually required playing tons of PvP, not just playing four games and losing intentionally like people do for the Daily.

Now there is no point. So yeah, whatever. I'll do the Daily and then...well, actually, I might not even do that. Reasons to play this game are drastically dwindling.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Guys, please stop mentioning better games. It's not constructive to point out how other games in the genre handled PvP!
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    Guys, please stop mentioning better games. It's not constructive to point out how other games in the genre handled PvP!

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I saw that. Censoring us from talking about other games doesn't make those other games not exist. Also, that's a pretty ignorant stance because we're not taking over a whole forum talk about other games. We are mentioning games that did things we liked in direct correlation to the topic at hand.
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tenshi36 wrote: »
    what exactly are we supposed to do with glory now?

Do a barrel roll ?
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they made it so you could buy bound healing pots and wound kits, I'd gladly get some pvp in each day rather than spending gold on them.
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    slayorian wrote: »
    If they made it so you could buy bound healing pots and wound kits, I'd gladly get some pvp in each day rather than spending gold on them.

Interesting idea. Other than that maybe to encourage use of PvP potions :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    PVP in NW however is mostly inconsequential to the grand scheme of things (like most MMO's).

Which is why I wish they'd take it out of all those games - so that the "l33t pvp d00ds" (who can't be bothered to find a real pvp game) will stop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the rest of the game when the devs respond to their complaints by trying to "balance" things.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Which is why I wish they'd take it out of all those games - so that the "l33t pvp d00ds" (who can't be bothered to find a real pvp game) will stop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the rest of the game when the devs respond to their complaints by trying to "balance" things.

MMO's need pvpers or you cut the population by 20-80% depending on each game.
  • Options
    vagdushvagdush Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2013
    Statistics pulled out of thin air are correct 20-80% of the time.
  • Options
    megabunnymegabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vagdush wrote: »

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if he were right. PVP, even in MMOs where PVP isn't even that great, is still pretty popular with a lot of people.
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2013
    Some of the most popular and better MMOs out there were/are based with a very heavy PvP mindset. It's just that many players these days cant handle it. They want shielded envoirments where they can lolly on in the forest with no worries in their mind, besides the worry that they might run into a pixelated boar or spider that outsmarts them.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vagdush wrote: »

PvP is almost every MMO out there equates to 5-15% of the playerbase, using 5-10% of game-content and creating 90%+ of all whines.

Any sensible MMO management team with an ounce of courage would dump PvP, and 90% of games would better for it.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PvP is almost every MMO out there equates to 5-15% of the playerbase, using 5-10% of game-content and creating 90%+ of all whines.

Any sensible MMO management team with an ounce of courage would dump PvP, and 90% of games would better for it.

All The Best

I don't think those numbers are correct. I don't have numbers for Neverwinter, but I do know that SWTOR and GuildWars2 both had over 50% of the player base playing PvP regularly. (Bioware was shocked by this).

I suspect that Neverwinter has similar number given how easy it is to get PvP matches any time of day. Also, just recall that the solely PvP RPG game League of Legends has a larger player base than all PvE MMO's combined.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    I suspect that Neverwinter has similar number given how easy it is to get PvP matches any time of day.

Hey, I pvp'd a few times in NW, even though I can't stand it.... just for the AD. So just because people are pvping, doesn't mean they actually enjoy it.
    Also, just recall that the solely PvP RPG game League of Legends has a larger player base than all PvE MMO's combined.

Yeah, we know that there's plenty of people who like PvP.... which is why I find it so odd that they bother with mostly-PvE MMOs with a terrible PvP minigame, when they could play a game (either MMO or just MP) actually designed for & around PvP. (Like some of the pvp-focused MMOs mentioned earlier, or LoL).
  • Options
    lemollenlemollen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Hey, I pvp'd a few times in NW, even though I can't stand it.... just for the AD. So just because people are pvping, doesn't mean they actually enjoy it.

Yeah, we know that there's plenty of people who like PvP.... which is why I find it so odd that they bother with mostly-PvE MMOs with a terrible PvP minigame, when they could play a game (either MMO or just MP) actually designed for & around PvP. (Like some of the pvp-focused MMOs mentioned earlier, or LoL).

Why is it you do not enjoy the pvp? Is it because you got owned too hard?