test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Too easy to level up.

2»

Comments

• ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Yes it is way too quick to level, i would like to see the last 10 levels level out slower.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Yes it is way too quick to level, i would like to see the last 10 levels level out slower.

Be careful what you wish for; the last ten levels includes the tedious and ugly Mt. Hotenow zone. Admittedly, some of the more annoying bugs from beta are now fixed, but it's still uninspiring to look at and tedious to get around :)

Some of the earlier zones would be far nicer to spend time in- down by the beach, anyone?
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    ryvvik wrote: »

Nothing more to add. :D
  • aesandilaesandil Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2013
    Indeed, one outlevels the content way too quickly. Especially if you want to do some PvP and Foundry along the way, work on your professions and use invocation at least once per day (of course this is all assuming a working person with other hobbies who cannot play a whole lot). I have a tendency to only kill the right amount of mobs needed and avoid the ones I don't need, but it doesn't help that much against being showered with excess XP.

But since they haven't bothered to adjust anything when the game was going live, they probably won't decide to.

P.S. My alt is at level 36 and still mid-way through Neverdeath Graveyard. I had only so much time to play him, and the XP gained from daily invocation and leadership profession alone is downright ridiculous. It's rather uninspiring having skip on the entire zones later on or doing quests/fighting mobs you vastly outlevel.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Leveling is to quick.
    My first character I played the Quests, a few Foundry missions, and did some Leadership profession leveling. With that one I outleveled the storyline by the time I was halfway through Pirate's Skyhold. With my new alt, I have only done the Quests and worked on Alchemy. In Pirate's Skyhold again, and have to really watch out so that I don't outlevel the Skirmish. I would say they need to decrease the reward and Invocation XP by 10% in order to slow things down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for; the last ten levels includes the tedious and ugly Mt. Hotenow zone. Admittedly, some of the more annoying bugs from beta are now fixed, but it's still uninspiring to look at and tedious to get around :)

Some of the earlier zones would be far nicer to spend time in- down by the beach, anyone?

I have to agree with you there. The later levels definitely had some boring and tedious areas that I couldn't wait to get out of.

Leveling, itself, is definitely too fast. You tend to out-level areas/dungeons/skirmishes much to quickly. Of course, this needs to be a fine tuning, and I worry that they may over tweak it in the other direction if they are not careful.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually they should just leave it alone. I have a TR on another account. I am under leveled each time when go to a new map and all I do is just the quests.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Actually they should just leave it alone. I have a TR on another account. I am under leveled each time when go to a new map and all I do is just the quests.

That can happen, if you're going really fast- not stopping to invoke or spamming professions. It's worse if you're on your Nth character, as there are fewer overnight profession breaks, too- you cover more ground per session. I had a similar thing on my GWF, where I was often 3-4 levels too low for the zone, and would get a warning when I travelled there.

I stopped worrying, as being three levels too low actually improved the experience for me; I could still pull and dispatch large groups. The difference was that I had to dodge damage and watch for adds a bit more carefully. I could no longer stand still mashing encounters and at wills until the fight was over.

The hysterical warnings got a little much, so I tended to try and limit myself to three levels below.. that's when it stops bugging you (I think, but I could be wrong, don't quote me on that). If an extra level was needed to shut them up, I'd do a few skirmishes or some PvP. End of problem.
    vientor wrote: »
    I have to agree with you there. The later levels definitely had some boring and tedious areas that I couldn't wait to get out of.

Most folks can agree on Mt Hotenow, I suspect. It still blows my mind that people complained about Whispering Caverns though.. I mean... The Underdark! Mind Flayers! Come on, these are signs of actual D+D content! I loved those last few levels, but then, I used to be a Second Edition PnP nerd; it was like coming home to me. Maybe folks without that history wouldn't be squealing with excitement quite so much.
  • alantiaalantia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the pace, but maybe it's because I have limited time. I always feel like I'm under gun, so it feels right to me. So much I like about this game, that I can put up with any inconsistency there maybe. I would think you would have to look long term for when the level cap is raised, as the game ages you do not want people saying it takes forever to level up to be with friends who are at cap. IMO.
    It is what it is:cool:
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Most folks can agree on Mt Hotenow, I suspect. It still blows my mind that people complained about Whispering Caverns though.. I mean... The Underdark! Mind Flayers! Come on, these are signs of actual D+D content! I loved those last few levels, but then, I used to be a Second Edition PnP nerd; it was like coming home to me. Maybe folks without that history wouldn't be squealing with excitement quite so much.

I just got finished with the Chasm on my GF and I am still a 2nd edition PnP nerd. I just ignore the msg on my TR and wade thru the mobs like no tomorrow
    edited July 2013
    I just got finished with the Chasm on my GF and I am still a 2nd edition PnP nerd. I just ignore the msg on my TR and wade thru the mobs like no tomorrow

That, dear sir, is how to roll. Enjoy :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I for one, like the fast leveling. Grinding and grinding for minimal progress is not entertaining for me..
  • ruprect1ruprect1 Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013
    uglyduck1 wrote: »
    I for one, like the fast leveling. Grinding and grinding for minimal progress is not entertaining for me..

I agree with you the problem is there is not enough endgame to support such a fast leveling structure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ruprect1 wrote: »
    I agree with you the problem is there is not enough endgame to support such a fast leveling structure.

And, I agree with that statement! Instead of lowering the speed of leveling, they should start pumping out more end-game content. I guess there's a new area called, Shanderera-blah-blah-blah (or something like that) - this will give us another place to play.
    edited July 2013
    uglyduck1 wrote: »
    And, I agree with that statement! Instead of lowering the speed of leveling, they should start pumping out more end-game content. I guess there's a new area called, Shanderera-blah-blah-blah (or something like that) - this will give us another place to play.

Yeah, they could go either way and make the leveling process abysmally long and make the interim gear more useful or leave it as is but they should of had a ton of endgame content at release. The new content looks like it will be useful for hardcore gamers far about a week and casual for about a month. That is no where near enough for a game that has been out for like a month.
  • azmoran11azmoran11 Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2013
    Most mmo's I play only 1 character, and maybe a year or two in I work on a second toon. I have 4 60s right now and working on my last, a DC(saved him for last of course). It's very easy to level, just keep to the quest lines, que for dungeon/skirmish and if you get in, great, if not. No big deal, just keep going. Also doing a Foundry when the xp bonus is up....makes it very fast and easy to level.

The bigger problem is that the end game just isn't there. I would still have 1 character of the end game was worth it, you either speed run T2 dungeons because you want to have tons of AD, or you just buy your gear off the AH, then you wait for 4 and half hours to play Grymwhatever since you logged on just after it was done.....then you play Grymwhatever....and you find out the gear isn't much different then what you already bought. So either you make an alt, or farm enchants...or go play something else.

Sorry for the rambling and bad sentence structure and all that. I just woke up. Getting caffeine.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I made a GWF last night and I'm already level 37 lol. My level 60 TR took me about 2 weeks, but I took my time and made another character and came back later.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • gilreath84gilreath84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    May I remind you all. That this game is new. And heh, well. Give them some time. I mean come on really guys. This is a great game. I think they have the leveling just right. AND i think if you give them the benefit of the doubt that come another month or so there will be more end game content and the pvp will improve. I'm hoping to get my GF to 60 and started on tier gear asap especially before the next big patch.
    edited July 2013
    gilreath84 wrote: »
    May I remind you all. That this game is new. And heh, well. Give them some time. I mean come on really guys. This is a great game. I think they have the leveling just right. AND i think if you give them the benefit of the doubt that come another month or so there will be more end game content and the pvp will improve. I'm hoping to get my GF to 60 and started on tier gear asap especially before the next big patch.

I have joined a lot of new games and have never been done with the game in 3 weeks. I understand that it is new but MMO companies should know better by now. There is alway people that shoot to the end and lose interest. At least in other games I've played, there is something there to entertain you for a few months. This game it isn't even fun to level an alt as the leveling is exactly the same for all chars with no alternate way to level.
  • gilreath84gilreath84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ruprect1 wrote: »
    I have joined a lot of new games and have never been done with the game in 3 weeks. I understand that it is new but MMO companies should know better by now. There is alway people that shoot to the end and lose interest. At least in other games I've played, there is something there to entertain you for a few months. This game it isn't even fun to level an alt as the leveling is exactly the same for all chars with no alternate way to level.

well if you did something else besidesblowthrough the content and maybe go outside for some fresh air? lol xD not trying to be mean haha
    edited July 2013
    gilreath84 wrote: »
    well if you did something else besidesblowthrough the content and maybe go outside for some fresh air? lol xD not trying to be mean haha

Lol, I leveled my CW in a weekend. That is just sad, and within a couple more days I have full t2 gear. It is way to easy to farm AD and buy a full set of T2 gear off the AH. It isn't fun to log in and queue for a dungeon that will take 2 hours to fail as someone will leave along the way. PvP is boring. There isn't enough to do. Lol I did go outside once and the natural light burned me. LOL.

I really played pretty casually after that first weekend and took longer to level my DC but I am in the same boat now. I almost never rush to the end but it was almost impossible not too in this game. Anytime I start a new game I will play a lot for about a week and then it levels out to a few nights a week. I have never got a char to max level in a game in a weekend. The biggest problem with endgame is that you can buy BiS gear from the AH.
  • merlin420idmerlin420id Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So you say but in actuality it is not that easy. I have been playing from the start and have yet to get a character to lvl 60 my highest is 53

You say it's not easy? I've been playing since inception as well, have 13 toons 10 of which are over 40, 3 of which are 60 (and to those who will troll me, no, I don't play 15 hours/day). If you do ANYTHING other than the PVE quests, you will outlevel the quests.

I played closed beta and this "problem" was brought up at that time, many thought they should halve the PVE quest exp to give players an opportunity to experience other aspects of the game (PVP, dungeons, skirmish, foundry (always tip your foundry author!!!)) so they haven't been listening to this complaint since before the game even began.

I guess if you make a game, make it incredibly easy to get to 60, then give absolutely no reason to play that 60 toon, peeps will spend 5 bux for new toon slots, that's the only reason I can think they've done this.
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Just a disconnect here.

You are taking a group of people that are used to story lines and enjoying the journey and mixing it with a group of people that are used to speeding through content to get the leet gears so their epeen can shine against all the other newbs. (hyperbole of course lol)

Yes you can level in a day, yes you can go on AH with a couple hundred thousand AD and get all your T2 stuff, then complain about lack of stuff to do.

There will be two sets of people. One, that are more the DnD type that are not shooting for some end state of being better than everyone else they are just around to enjoy the content and experience a 3d version of forgotten realms. Two, people that are only concerned with being complete BiS and top flight PvPers, etc, etc.

It seems as we move on that one side will be very upset of lack of end game content and leveling being too easy, and gear way too available. The other side will be just fine with being more concerned with experiencing new places/people/stories.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yup, and the only problem for me as one of those slow explorer types is that the more XP I rack up, the harder it is for me to experience every scrap of content along the way. Though the presence of "skirmish master" NPCs in preview shard areas indicates things are in the works to make the one thing that would become completely inaccessible once outlevelled accessible in some fashion. Lack of talk-to-me quest markers I can live with as I'm quite used to not having them in the games I normally play.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, it's hard to know how to respond to that without being overtly offensive. It's the easiest levelling that I've seen in an MMO yet.

I'm pretty sure you can still play EQ on freeshards. I think the OP should give that a try :)
  • mjonismjonis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree, that level is WAY too fast in this game. As others stated, simply doing the PVE quests, you will outlevel the content fairly easy (so you can't do a lot of the dungeons). I've gained two levels from 56-58 just by doing the daily invocation for ardent/celestial coins (like 5,000 exp each or something), unintentionally.

There's enough dungeons and foundry to get experience, I don't know why they don't slow things down. But then again, I had hoped for a game other than a button-masha-thon (like what DA2 turned out to be). Although, ironically, I'm somehow finding it addicting, just wish there was more "role playing".

But it's free (so far for what I've done except for the adventure pack or whatever I bought), so I guess if it's free, I can't complain.

Okay I *can* and will complain.

:)
  • daermonnedaermonne Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am liking the game to a point. It does not have me completely enthralled as other MMOs have done. I think I would have preferred this to be a Neverwinter version of DDO with 3.5 rules and complete spell and skills lists.

As far as leveling going too quick...It all depends on your availability to spend time on the game. For people who don't have days on end to power through and keep up with friends, the quick leveling is probably a boon. In todays market it is the few who prefer a slow tedious grind to feel rewarded. Gone are the days of the original slow leveling Ultima Online, Lineage II or vanilla WOW. It is all immediate gratification or you lose your target customer base.

The Foundry: Awesome idea. Again, I would love it all to be based on DDOs model but I definitely like running a character through gamers imagination.

I think for an ultimate D&D experience I am looking for Tabletop meets MMO. Keep with the Wizards of the Coast rules, monsters, itemization, skills, spells etc (which DDO did a decent job on, just needs some tweaks) give the gamers complete access to their imagination by way of Neverwinters Foundry (offer complete campaign modules, special add-ons and treasures as your micro transactions) give a gamer access to a GM spot to control the campaign in a real time situation while also allowing for the campaign to be fully autonomous (thereby letting a good GM participate with friends or guild members or letting their created "dungeons" be enjoyed by the masses whithout having to be present), allow party size to be set by the GM as well as difficulty of encounters in ratio to party size increase.
    In short, Give a person their GM screen and dice to test their adventurers mettle.
    Imagine the GM having a 3rd person view of an entire party moving through his creation. Aside from all the goodies the GM personally placed (monsters, riddles, puzzles, traps etc) a randomized timer alerting the GM to a possible random encounter (choices preset by the GM but set to even surprise them of what the results could be). The GM clicking a set of virtual dice to set off the roll to determine the results of the encounter. A party passing by a secret/concealed door or trap, the virtual dice flashes on the GMs screen and he/she "rolls" and the outcome is automatically checked against the party members profiles for chance of noticing. A thief in the party wanting to disable a trap or pick a lock....click on the object to start character animation of disabling/picking and activating a roll of their own virtual dice.
    I would love to see the dice rolling outcomes on checks such as the examples above.

Anyhow I am taking this way further than I intended. Moderator, if this post falls too outside of the thread, please place it where appropriate.

Thank you
  • alantiaalantia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    daermonne wrote: »
    I am liking the game to a point. It does not have me completely enthralled as other MMOs have done. I think I would have preferred this to be a Neverwinter version of DDO with 3.5 rules and complete spell and skills lists.

As far as leveling going too quick...It all depends on your availability to spend time on the game. For people who don't have days on end to power through and keep up with friends, the quick leveling is probably a boon. In todays market it is the few who prefer a slow tedious grind to feel rewarded. Gone are the days of the original slow leveling Ultima Online, Lineage II or vanilla WOW. It is all immediate gratification or you lose your target customer base.

The Foundry: Awesome idea. Again, I would love it all to be based on DDOs model but I definitely like running a character through gamers imagination.

I think for an ultimate D&D experience I am looking for Tabletop meets MMO. Keep with the Wizards of the Coast rules, monsters, itemization, skills, spells etc (which DDO did a decent job on, just needs some tweaks) give the gamers complete access to their imagination by way of Neverwinters Foundry (offer complete campaign modules, special add-ons and treasures as your micro transactions) give a gamer access to a GM spot to control the campaign in a real time situation while also allowing for the campaign to be fully autonomous (thereby letting a good GM participate with friends or guild members or letting their created "dungeons" be enjoyed by the masses whithout having to be present), allow party size to be set by the GM as well as difficulty of encounters in ratio to party size increase.
    In short, Give a person their GM screen and dice to test their adventurers mettle.
    Imagine the GM having a 3rd person view of an entire party moving through his creation. Aside from all the goodies the GM personally placed (monsters, riddles, puzzles, traps etc) a randomized timer alerting the GM to a possible random encounter (choices preset by the GM but set to even surprise them of what the results could be). The GM clicking a set of virtual dice to set off the roll to determine the results of the encounter. A party passing by a secret/concealed door or trap, the virtual dice flashes on the GMs screen and he/she "rolls" and the outcome is automatically checked against the party members profiles for chance of noticing. A thief in the party wanting to disable a trap or pick a lock....click on the object to start character animation of disabling/picking and activating a roll of their own virtual dice.
    I would love to see the dice rolling outcomes on checks such as the examples above.

Anyhow I am taking this way further than I intended. Moderator, if this post falls too outside of the thread, please place it where appropriate.

Thank you

I had to comment, did you know that old NWN's on aol was a turn based game? Combat you landed on a square and the count done began, you had so many seconds to decide what spell you were using and if you were going to move instead. That is also how pvp worked. The virtual die would roll, you couldn't see the numbers but that was RNG in action. If I remember correctly you had 15 seconds to decide your move. But sorry did mean to go off track but I like your ideas. As far as leveling at level 10 you could split you class to go off in a different direction..I forget what it was called but it was fun. I like the pace of this game to me it's fun.
    It is what it is:cool:
  • vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    Some people are mistaking the problem and defending the fast leveling.

I don't care how fast someone gets to 60, what I do care about is outleveling the content.

Not only does it make the content less challenging, but you outlevel the dungeon and skirmish queues very quickly. By the time you get to the end of a zone where you get the mission to enter the dungeon, you are already too high to queue up for it. That is not fun. That is frustrating. Plus all the loot you are getting ends up being several levels below you.

There were skirmishes and dungeons that I would have liked to have run more than once (some I may have missed entirely), but you can no longer queue for them once you out level them.

Even by doing no Foundry missions and deliberately avoiding killing any more MoBs than I had to, to complete missions, I still easily outleveled the content.