test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic puts more time into ways to make money than the game itself.

13»

Comments

• Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Perhaps I am thinking of the wrong post but the one I saw does not match your quoted statement, "the company doesn't need to make money off this game". It was, "The company doesn’t NEED to make money..."

No reference to income from this game specifically/exclusively. If continued existence is dependent on something then that something is a need. In this case PWE does need money or it will cease to exist.

That said, I expect that you are correct about whether or not the income from this game is needed.

I was actually trying to point out that I'd be tickled pink if either/both companies went belly up.
    IMHO, Cryptic has had three games to try and iron out how to build them, and still hasn't learned basics, therefore they don't deserve to stay afloat. Four, if you count City of Heroes.(But they sold that one off and it flourished after the sale.)

To reiterate the OP subject matter, I personally find the "strategies" utilized to make profits by this company to be reprehensible, and I will not patronize their store. Thankfully, the product is free to use at a basic level, so I can at least (should I so desire to) utilize the basic services.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    I was actually trying to point out that I'd be tickled pink if either/both companies went belly up.
    IMHO, Cryptic has had three games to try and iron out how to build them, and still hasn't learned basics, therefore they don't deserve to stay afloat. Four, if you count City of Heroes.(But they sold that one off and it flourished after the sale.)

To reiterate the OP subject matter, I personally find the "strategies" utilized to make profits by this company to be reprehensible, and I will not patronize their store. Thankfully, the product is free to use at a basic level, so I can at least (should I so desire to) utilize the basic services.
    Honestly that's probably the cruelest thing you can do for them in a certain light, since they still have to pay for your use of the server. But yeah, Cryptic is like that one director that has never made a movie that was a success but people still keep hiring him on despite his apparent inability to make a good movie.
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    I do not know you from Adam, but I place your life well ahead of PWE/Cryptic's continued existence. Matter of fact, both companies could go belly up tomorrow, or even two hours from the time of this posting and I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but even someone I never knew passing away is a tragedy.

Bad analogy, friend.

I'm with the person that stated "the company doesn't need to make money off this game" and the implied "to keep going". Consider, Cryptic has income from two other games. PWE has a much fuller stable of games to draw an income from as well. The income from this one game is not completely necessary for either company to stay afloat. Sure, it's nice, and it lines pockets...but it's not NEEDED.

Um, if they belly up in two hours, could you theoretically lose any sleep at all? I mean I guess it depends on where you are in the world and what time it is. I feel the same way though :) Cryptic and PWE have really disappointed me.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've seen a certain term used to refer to the company in this thread, and as of now, it will be treated as a slur and removed or moderated as such.

Name calling is no more tolerated towards the company as it will be tolerated towards any player or poster on this forum. Respect is the number one rule. You may not like the company but calling them something unnecessarily will not be allowed.

The name of the company is Cryptic. Referring to them as anything otherwise, and especially in a derogatory or derisive manner, will be judged the same as an insult to a player or poster and dealt with in an according manner.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Am I the only one that thinks that cryptic putting time into ways to make money is good?

I mean you make money by keeping people playing. The more folks you have logging in, the more potential money there is to be made. Offer all the pay for fluff you want, but you must have a game that brings people to play in order to sell the fluff. This is the balance they are trying to achieve. It takes time guys.
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I believe cryptic may not be employing the 'ivy league' marketing researchers that Blizzard, NCsoft, or even CCP has access to. A company like cryptic is kind of the bush leagues of the gaming industry and even Bethesda, which has no experience in the MMO market, will probably have a better showing with ESO than cryptic's entire book of business.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think that Cryptic should just open the flood gates and start charging for everything, stop hiding it behind zen and astral diamonds that are becoming more and more difficult to obtain without purchasing zen. Lets face it, the truth is, the game is heading to the point where you will need to spend real money almost regularly. Who am I kidding, thats already the case.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pelomixa wrote: »
    I think that Cryptic should just open the flood gates and start charging for everything, stop hiding it behind zen and astral diamonds that are becoming more and more difficult to obtain without purchasing zen. Lets face it, the truth is, the game is heading to the point where you will need to spend real money almost regularly. Who am I kidding, thats already the case.

*facepalms* Quoting myself from literally two posts above this one.
    The name of the company is Cryptic. Referring to them as anything otherwise, and especially in a derogatory or derisive manner, will be judged the same as an insult to a player or poster and dealt with in an according manner.

I so dislike repeating myself, and have edited all such posts with the derogatory name accordingly. Please heed this and refrain from slurring the company. If you cannot respectfully refer to the company by its proper name--much like you would not want to be called improper, derogatory, or derisive names yourself--please do not post it here. Thank you.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    From the attitudes expressed in this and other threads, I feel that the issue stems from how Cryptic's sales methods are not in alignment with what people want. The question in my mind, then, is just *who* is buying this stuff, if the devs are already following a pattern. I mean, are there many players that spend a significant amount in the Zen store yet never voice their opinions on the forums? I can only assume that that's the case...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    From the attitudes expressed in this and other threads, I feel that the issue stems from how Cryptic's sales methods are not in alignment with what people want. The question in my mind, then, is just *who* is buying this stuff, if the devs are already following a pattern. I mean, are there many players that spend a significant amount in the Zen store yet never voice their opinions on the forums? I can only assume that that's the case...

PvP players who have the money and want to demonstrate their LEETZ SKILLZ by owning opponents in worse gear.

(No, i never figured out why anyone would see that as an accomplishment either....)
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »

Thats kind of how f2p demographics are. Its usually near 50% of the people who play dont spend a dime, near 50% of people are casual spenders, and 2-4% are big spenders.

So if its a 48/48/4 split percentage wise, the people in the first 2 demographics can attrite all they want - as it is the 4% of the big spenders who are the target demographic in the first place. Usually when we see new items in the store where the majority of the customers are facepalming, its due to the fact that the small percentage who spend the majority of the money on this game have indicated through data farming their spending habits that they want more of this type of stuff to spend money on.

It wouldnt matter if the full 96% of the rest of us are strongly against the new overpriced unicorn barfing rainbows companion, if the 4% of the big spenders want it and have indicated through previous spending habits that they will buy it up like hotcakes, prepare to start seeing unicorns barfing rainbows in the marketplace. :p
  • Options
    sicowolfsicowolf Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are they still charging Zen for character respescs? Just wondering if the game is worth my time.

Also, I had to login using Internet Explorer since none of the perfectworld websites would accept my username/password with Mozilla Firefox. That's a god awful sign right there.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    sicowolf wrote: »
    Are they still charging Zen for character respescs? Just wondering if the game is worth my time.

Also, I had to login using Internet Explorer since none of the perfectworld websites would accept my username/password with Mozilla Firefox. That's a god awful sign right there.

Yes they still charge for respecs, the value of the game is up to you to decide.

And I can log in with Firefox, IE, Chrome, and Opera just fine.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    **** a business for wanting money so they can the bills and employees!

On a more serious note, PwE is the evil culprit for the cash grabs, its what they do.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    **** a business for wanting money so they can the bills and employees!

On a more serious note, PwE is the evil culprit for the cash grabs, its what they do.

Exactly, every game published by PWE mainly focus on cash shop first and second and then game play.
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    Cryptic is like that one director that has never made a movie that was a success but people still keep hiring him on despite his apparent inability to make a good movie.

Uwe Boll??

/10char
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    silvernite wrote: »
    They need to have different quest lines for each class, not just a couple, but the whole thing. It gets boring doing the same thing over and over on each class.
    +1 .
  • Options
    whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pelomixa wrote: »
    Probably the most true post in the thread.