test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did anyone ever beat CN without exploits?

baddumtssbaddumtss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
I've watched some twitch streams and youtube video's lately about Castle Never runs. But none of them were "legit runs". I would like to see someone do this dungeon without using shortcuts get to the boss boss fight and so on. :mad:
Post edited by baddumtss on

Comments

• asrathiel01asrathiel01 Member, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good evening Baddumtss,

I myself have completed it atleast 50 times although sadly it does seem all you see in general chat these days is people spamming for exploit runs. personally i enjoy the grind but i guess not everyone likes to stop and smell the roses as it were.

Asrathiel.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    They do but Castle Never without using shortcuts and such but the dungeon is extremely long and hard and sadly players try every which way they can in order to get to the end faster.

I'm not sure if there are any streams of it but there are certainly guilds and such which refuse to use shortcuts. Little by little the holes have been and will continue to get patched but it seems like every time a hole is patched players find another way to cheat the system.

It sucks for the immediate time but in time everything will be resolved. :)
  • timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    baddumtss wrote: »
    I've watched some twitch streams and youtube video's lately about Castle Never runs. But none of them were "legit runs". I would like to see someone do this dungeon without using shortcuts get to the boss boss fight and so on. :mad:

I had read about a post here a month back about legit CN. 4 newbies plus a veteran needs 3 hours++ to clear CN. Other "experts" claimed they can run it under one hour. Big discrepancy. You decided who had ran CN legit.

And btw, if CN really takes 3 hours to complete for just a measly chance to win an ancient weapon, no way in hell any sane person will bother to do it. It is easier, MUCH EASIER, to just throw 1.5 million AD to buy a guarantee Ancient weapon & off-hand.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • thesipeliusthesipelius Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    A couple of days ago we tried doing a legit run which ended up taking around 3 hours to get to the last boss (also noticed that some shortcuts have been fixed already) only to notice that we have no chance against the dracolich. The only viable way of defeating him is the kind of exploit of knocking the adds out but then the boss fight relies fully on the timing of the CWs which is totally ridiculous. Our team had I think one person who hadn't done it before and the CWs hadn't been practicing the timing so we weren't able to finish it.

I would like to see someone do the dungeon with a group consisting of one character of each class and without throwing the adds out. I've decided not to bother with CN anymore and just do the normal epic dungeons which tend to be much more enjoyable. I also don't understand why the estimated play time is 1 hour 30 minutes. I think that's the time you can do it using shortcuts but definitely not the normal way.
  • timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Btw, didn't last month or so, the devs claimed they will run on-live dungeons with one class of each? Did that happen? Did they run CN?
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • pw3ckapw3cka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I did it legit few times and the beginning with actually a pug group (I belive we just did not know the shortcuts :D)

It's terribly long and it really took us something around 3 hours..

With full euqipped skilled group you can definitelly do it around 2 hours and maybe even less.

We were not really rushing anywhere..
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    They do but Castle Never without using shortcuts and such but the dungeon is extremely long and hard and sadly players try every which way they can in order to get to the end faster.

I'm not sure if there are any streams of it but there are certainly guilds and such which refuse to use shortcuts. Little by little the holes have been and will continue to get patched but it seems like every time a hole is patched players find another way to cheat the system.

Cryptic makes dungeons take TOO LONG! If dungeons could be completed in 30 minutes or less it would cut down on people desperate to bypass all of the garbage that doesn't drop anything of value anyways...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • bigbascdtbigbascdt Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Cryptic makes dungeons take TOO LONG! If dungeons could be completed in 30 minutes or less it would cut down on people desperate to bypass all of the garbage that doesn't drop anything of value anyways...

It's not the fact that the dungeons are too long, it's the fact that the trash mobs don't drop anything for loot, all that they drop is trash. Update the loot the trash mobs drop, and people will do the dungeons legit, simple fix.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bigbascdt wrote: »
    It's not the fact that the dungeons are too long, it's the fact that the trash mobs don't drop anything for loot, all that they drop is trash. Update the loot the trash mobs drop, and people will do the dungeons legit, simple fix.

Actually it is both.

So cut down the number of trash mobs and improve quality of their drops.....
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »

This (ridiculous) argument has been used to death, and since people exploit short dungeons such as Fardelver's crypt (a 5-6 mins one with a good team), it's really not the issue. When i don't have time for Castle never, i don't queue for it. When i don't enjoy a game, i stop playing it instead of cheating for rewards i don't want anymore anyway - it's supposed to be "boring", isn't it?

By the way, yes, it can take up to 3h with rookies, but it's at most a (legit) 1h15 run with a well trained team. Like most of the "45 mins" dungeon take at most 25-30 mins with good team mates, without acrobatics, dying to campfires, and so on. The solution is clearly to think about how you play your character, not cryptic creating dungeons "taking too long".
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013

It is said that Lemonade stand is the best guild. Obviously I cannot confirm or deny this as fact. What would be cool is if you guys could do a few CN runs legit as sort of a community service and fraps it.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    It is said that Lemonade stand is the best guild. Obviously I cannot confirm or deny this as fact. What would be cool is if you guys could do a few CN runs legit as sort of a community service and fraps it.

It's just a rumor. Many of them shine in pvp but only because they were among the first ones farming and exploiting CN, selling ancient drop to buy perfect vorpals and lvl 10 enchants. There are many good players able to do a short legit run. Make huge pulls and then just throw the whole dungeon in vacuum when there's a hole and it gets a lot shorter. :rolleyes:
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    It's just a rumor. Many of them shine in pvp but only because they were among the first ones farming and exploiting CN,

TBH, this is the issue - many of the 'top' guilds are only 'top' at exploiting. Hardly anyone is gullible enough to believe that so many characters having rank 10 and perfect enchants is possible legitimately.....
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    This (ridiculous) argument has been used to death, and since people exploit short dungeons such as Fardelver's crypt (a 5-6 mins one with a good team), it's really not the issue. When i don't have time for Castle never, i don't queue for it. When i don't enjoy a game, i stop playing it instead of cheating for rewards i don't want anymore anyway - it's supposed to be "boring", isn't it?

By the way, yes, it can take up to 3h with rookies, but it's at most a (legit) 1h15 run with a well trained team. Like most of the "45 mins" dungeon take at most 25-30 mins with good team mates, without acrobatics, dying to campfires, and so on. The solution is clearly to think about how you play your character, not cryptic creating dungeons "taking too long".

Can't agree with this at all. CN (and most of the dungeons) are waaay too long and lack rewards worth the time outside of the bosses. Trash in this game is pure trash so its no surprise that people do everything they can to skip them. Fardelver is the same problem. All of the rewards are back loaded and there is no good reason to fight the same trash spawns. Now, the current state of FD is silly since the level designer(s) failed to plug the hole they knew about, but its still the same problem. If there is no reward (and no variation) for fighting the trash then many/most people will look for ways around them.

Why is it in this game blue drops are more rare than purple ones?
  • zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I understand and agree on the value issue, but I have to state emphatically that it is most definately a problem that they are so long. Not everyone playing this game is doing so in their parent's basement. Many folks struggle to carve out an hour or 90 minutes of play time. T2 dungeons are just simply out of reach for me. I never have (a guaranteed) 3 hours to devote without interruption.
  • mistressroxxymistressroxxy Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    It is said that Lemonade stand is the best guild. Obviously I cannot confirm or deny this as fact.

Oh please! lol The only people that claim that is fanboys of LS or LS

Sorry^ my normal rant. :) on topic. It can be done with pretty good ease. It just matters on how the team decides to deal with the adds.
    [SIGPIC]JFJrpuR.jpg[/sigpic]
    GWF Mistress Roxxy and DC Lady Valentine both @loverboyusa
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    TBH, this is the issue - many of the 'top' guilds are only 'top' at exploiting. Hardly anyone is gullible enough to believe that so many characters having rank 10 and perfect enchants is possible legitimately.....

Credit Card and you too can get Rank 10 / Perfect enchants, there is no other way to have all Rank 10s/Perfect even with exploiting.

I got friends that have farmed all of the short-cuts, etc... and don't come close to the same gear as mates with Perfects / T9's.

T9 is 3-4Mil / T-10 10Mil+
    Perfect Vorpal - 20-30Mil

So to have each slot with Rank 9's/10's and Perfect Vorpal it's 100M+. Which you could not have farmed even running CN daily, DD's, etc...

For $400 - You can get decked out off AH and then be ready for PvP/PvE.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Trash only adds time not difficulty and so skipping trash, running past or bunching up and throwing off is legit strategy.

As for last boss it is possible to kill without bugging trash by just throwing off into death. Just means you'll be spawning a lot of trash and need really big deeps to burn boss down fast.

The real question is has Crytpic DEVs ever beaten the bosses how they designed the fights. If so they should explain how they beat the bosses or show video's of their way of beating the bosses.

Because how the maps are designed it looks like that is their design is for the trash to be tosses off.
  • thesipeliusthesipelius Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    The real question is has Crytpic DEVs ever beaten the bosses how they designed the fights. If so they should explain how they beat the bosses or show video's of their way of beating the bosses.

Because how the maps are designed it looks like that is their design is for the trash to be tosses off.
    I agree with this one. Would be really interesting to know if they've done them or see how they thought the dungeons should be done in the time frame that they suggest.
  • deinokdeinok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's definitelly possible to do the boss without the hanging exploit, and with a group made of the 5 clases.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    Credit Card and you too can get Rank 10 / Perfect enchants, there is no other way to have all Rank 10s/Perfect even with exploiting.

I got friends that have farmed all of the short-cuts, etc... and don't come close to the same gear as mates with Perfects / T9's.

T9 is 3-4Mil / T-10 10Mil+
    Perfect Vorpal - 20-30Mil

So to have each slot with Rank 9's/10's and Perfect Vorpal it's 100M+. Which you could not have farmed even running CN daily, DD's, etc...

For $400 - You can get decked out off AH and then be ready for PvP/PvE.

Oh I don't disagree that hard cash will get you 10 and perfect enchantments, and that it is not easy to get that even exploiting nowadays.

But I think you really underestimate how valuable the exploits would have been in the early days - the early CN-running, enchant duping, ward duping and AD exploiters could have easily made that much before other people caught on.

So whenever I see Guilds decked out in these enchantment loudly proclaiming themselves to be no 1, well, number 1 at what is the thing people should be asking themselves...
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

That's what he said.
    x:<

And no, it is not sad at all that players attempt to maximize their runs.
    It would be sad if they didn't attempt to do so.

You see, there are several types of gamers. Some like to kill mobs, others like to explore (and bring back very nice screenshots), etc.
    If you don't have any players attempting to optimize your run, that means either your game is dead (Has been out for so long that everything is already optimized & nothing new is occurring) or it's only bringing in zombies. Both options are pretty bad.

Also no, the players aren't really finding new ways to cheat the system. Those issues have been in the game from the start.
    The devs simply screw up at actually patching things properly.

& it's HIGHLY unlikely that EVERYTHING will be resolved. There's bound to be an issue with something the devs can't easily patch. (Engine issue/flaws which are not worth or too costly to fix/etc)

& legit Castle Never runs have been done before.
    Usually during the very few initial runs. Now those were...pretty darn boring to be honest.
    Now legit runs are basically done as a joke/epic time waster.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yes there is a "Dev" video showing one of each class running a full length CN run. The funny thing is, they are pushing mobs off (counter to all the crying that it is an exploit by whiny players). In the boss fight the CW is singularity and repelling the mobs off to their death. Once again a player driven cry fest about it being an exploit, yet the devs use this same tactic?

Clearly the dungeons were designed so both monsters and players can push each other off in spots. Why players complain about pushing mobs off is just plain silly. I honestly think the players who complain about pushing mobs off to their death are the ones who have never actually completed ANY tier two dungeons and they have never run any dungeon more than a few times. If they actually had run the same dungeon ten or twenty times, their opinion would probably change.
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    krumple01 wrote: »
    Yes there is a "Dev" video showing one of each class running a full length CN run. The funny thing is, they are pushing mobs off (counter to all the crying that it is an exploit by whiny players). In the boss fight the CW is singularity and repelling the mobs off to their death. Once again a player driven cry fest about it being an exploit, yet the devs use this same tactic?

Clearly the dungeons were designed so both monsters and players can push each other off in spots. Why players complain about pushing mobs off is just plain silly. I honestly think the players who complain about pushing mobs off to their death are the ones who have never actually completed ANY tier two dungeons and they have never run any dungeon more than a few times. If they actually had run the same dungeon ten or twenty times, their opinion would probably change.

I haven't seen a video of dracolich since they nerfed knockbacks. When I tried it did not seem possible to do knockbacks, the mobs hit an invisible wall, we were unable to to push the mobs over it using magnets too.

So, my question is, is it possible to knockback still? Does anyone have a recent video of success since the patch?
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    crickets??
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    So, my question is, is it possible to knockback still? Does anyone have a recent video of success since the patch?

Yes, its very doable but your CW has to pay much more attention to the timing and angle of the mobs in Singularity to get them over the fence.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Actually it is both.

So cut down the number of trash mobs and improve quality of their drops.....

I agree. It's a combination of too much time and not enough reward. But in any case, in today's gaming environment, anything over 30 minutes, perhaps 45,is going to be hated by players, regardless of the reward, because so many people play with a little bit of time here and there. Very few people today play for 3 hours in a row -- that was the case more in 2004, but isn't really the case today.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree. It's a combination of too much time and not enough reward. But in any case, in today's gaming environment, anything over 30 minutes, perhaps 45,is going to be hated by players, regardless of the reward, because so many people play with a little bit of time here and there. Very few people today play for 3 hours in a row -- that was the case more in 2004, but isn't really the case today.

I disagree. I think if the rewards fit the time investment many more players would play for 3 or 4 hour sessions.

But in neverwinter the dungeon runs are always a gamble. Some player gets mad and RQs before the boss. Sure you might be able to 4 man it but the odds are against you for each member who leaves and depending on their class. So a dungeon that takes an hour to get to the final boss with a member leaving renders the entire run pretty much worthless. Sure you might have got some sub-boss loot but we all know that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is pretty much worthless except for the shards. A one hour run for 1 or maybe 2 shards? Not enough of an incentive.

The other aspect is the loot tables are just plain trash for the time investment. Who wants to spend 1 to 2 hours clearing a dungeon to get tier 1 item from a DD chest that they can't even sell for 4 or 5k ad? The time investment is not worth the reward. This is why players in neverwinter don't want to invest more than an hour per dungeon run because any longer and the rewards are not worth the time. The dungeons surely are not enjoyable in any way, well not enough to warrant spending several hours in them killing trash mobs for green loot to sell for 1 silver each.
    edited July 2013
    I don't think much if any of the content should average more than 45 minutes. With today's technology its easy to create a multi-module arc if you want to have epic content. The days of 40 or even 20 person raids are dead and most players aren't interested in spending 2+ hours in a single instance.
  • lemollenlemollen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    baddumtss wrote: »

Not everyone has that kinda time or patience to do it legit buddy.