test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ghost Companion sweet but..

enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
...no one uses combat/heal companions in serious endgame dungeons. Everyone uses an Ioun Stone or a Cat. Augment Companions really poo poo'ed all over your other companions. The new Lillend compaions powers seem really awesome, but once again its not an Augment so..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by enderlin50 on

Comments

• Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    ...no one uses combat/heal companions in serious endgame dungeons. Everyone uses an Ioun Stone or a Cat. Augment Companions really poo poo'ed all over your other companions. The new Lillend compaions powers seem really awesome, but once again its not an Augment so..

Then keep using the stone or cat. No need to buy the ghost. Let the newbies buy it (or those who want it for social reasons) and fund Cryptic/PWE so the rest of us don't have to. ;)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    In D&D the ioun stone is a piece of equipment .. not really a companion since it is not sentient or semi-sentient.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013

But not everyone is playing those yet, or may be leveling characters slowly (yes, it is possible to do this). So far, I have been impressed by the toughness of the green tiefling cleric. She's done very well even through level 40 instances. Hopefully the Lilend will be considerably tougher and her boosts look interesting. A party that can capitalize on that could do very well even at high levels.

(But yes, I use augments on my level 60's most of the time - they're just very expensive and not everyone has them!)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    spunkmeier wrote: »
    ...or option four, allow one augment and one companion?

Im not hating on this. Or make all companions in the game give 100% augment stats, Just some are non-combat. For instance a Rogue may not want a combat companion when he is perma-stealth to avoid drawing adds to him via the pet.

Unless they want to release a dozen augment stones there isnt much variety.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    spunkmeier wrote: »
    ...or option four, allow one augment and one companion?

This would make the game even more P2Win since it would create an atmosphere where you are "mandatory" to own both an augment and a companion.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Or make it easy (ish) to move a companion to your alts.

I'd buy an ioun stone for my 60 cleric, but he has a galeb duhr -- getting a stone would be essentially throwing money away. That and I don't do much endgame stuff.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Or make all the cash shop companions bind to account (every account will get a copy of the companion)
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    So far, I have been impressed by the toughness of the green tiefling cleric. She's done very well even through level 40 instances.

I have been using the Green Cleric all the way to level 60. With level 4 HP runes and max recovery items she does pretty even in Whispering Caverns. On some level 59/60 solo dungeon boss fights she survived to the end.

Admittedly I am a Control Wizard so enemies are perma-slowed and also stunned a lot of the time, but even so I was very impressed at the gain in survivability over the standard white cleric companion....
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This would make the game even more P2Win since it would create an atmosphere where you are "mandatory" to own both an augment and a companion.

I like the augment and a battle companion idea. This game isn't pay 2 win. This would just make companion that aren't augmented actually of some use. I have a Stone because well all those stats. I really would like to have a Pheora, new cleric or something else though a real companion. So I like the idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It diminishes all the work they put into companions. Might as well stop releasing any new combat companions and just release buncha of new Ioun Stone colors so we can be matchy.. =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The solution, IMO, is to make all companions' HP scale with YOUR level. You can keep their other stats related to their actual quality & level, but not adjusting HP flat out leads to them dying too quickly.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The solution, IMO, is to make all companions' HP scale with YOUR level. You can keep their other stats related to their actual quality & level, but not adjusting HP flat out leads to them dying too quickly.

HP won't really help them as they will die anyways because their AI doesn't have them run out of red circles. I would love to have my cat & Pheora at same time.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Very true. Unless combat pets can mitigate 70% of aoe damage then they will always die. Also we can buy then some self heal item to keep them alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Perhaps there's some underlying issues such as the speed in which companions die?

I agree that augmentation companions are cut and dry the best companions in the game...
    But perhaps the issue is that they don't die and lose effectiveness. So perhaps the problem is improving how much mobs damage non-augmentation companions and how effective non-augmentation companions are against mobs?
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Perhaps there's some underlying issues such as the speed in which companions die?

I agree that augmentation companions are cut and dry the best companions in the game...
    But perhaps the issue is that they don't die and lose effectiveness. So perhaps the problem is improving how much mobs damage non-augmentation companions and how effective non-augmentation companions are against mobs?

Bad idea. Nerfing is not the answer.

Making them account bound and allowing real companions is the only decent solution heard so far in this thread.

Even with the terribad AI.
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Bad idea. Nerfing is not the answer.

Making them account bound and allowing real companions is the only decent solution heard so far in this thread.

Even with the terribad AI.

I don't think acct bound is needed. There does need to be some balance between the companions though. I kinda wish there was never augmentation companions to begin with. I don't have the best answer at the moment to fix it but a lot of avenues should be explored.
  • Options
    seu1seu1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Or just improve their AI, attack times/cool-downs (whatever that magic number is), and overall effectiveness. That'd be great.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I can't recall if Cryptic was still involved in City of Villains, but they had some really good controls for pets. Additionally, would it be possible to give pets a basic "if in red circle, move away" type of behavior?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I don't think acct bound is needed. There does need to be some balance between the companions though. I kinda wish there was never augmentation companions to begin with. I don't have the best answer at the moment to fix it but a lot of avenues should be explored.

I agree wish augments were never implemented. They trivialized all others in dungeons. Hopefully Devs can come up a solution to bring their unique companions back into play
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    1. Companions are not used in PVP so anything in PVE goes.

2 Augment pets have their drawbacks as far as assistance in battle.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I've seen people kicked out of dungeons for not having a stone/cat or using a combat pet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    1. Companions are not used in PVP so anything in PVE goes.

2 Augment pets have their drawbacks as far as assistance in battle.

Regarding point #2 - if the pet is dead, then it is less useful than an augment pet...

*Added: Having an augment also doesn't stop someone from switching out to, say, the Cleric companion between battles to reduce downtime.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey all, thanks for your feedback on this. We're continually working on companions to make them all feel balanced, including at higher levels.

Cheers!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    thegreeblerthegreebler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited July 2013

Theres been times where I even use the Priestess of Kel, but I confess rarely.

Now CW with A ghost companion.. I bet could get some miles out of this in endgame. Stack her up so she got 24k health, and watch her possess enemies while you are freezing the hell out of everything. The enemies may KILL her but if they do that WHILE she has possessed one; that enemy she possessed dies.

And she will do this every 35 secs. I have seen her possess some of the stronger enemies in solo foundry and go to town on weaklings before 30 secs ends; then DIE KILLING THE THING SHE POSSESSED. Granted, she may not do this to bosses. But if it was with someone who had the skills and knew the greebly tricks... it is quite fun:)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Theres been times where I even use the Priestess of Kel, but I confess rarely.

Now CW with A ghost companion.. I bet could get some miles out of this in endgame. Stack her up so she got 24k health, and watch her possess enemies while you are freezing the hell out of everything. The enemies may KILL her but if they do that WHILE she has possessed one; that enemy she possessed dies.

And she will do this every 35 secs. I have seen her possess some of the stronger enemies in solo foundry and go to town on weaklings before 30 secs ends; then DIE KILLING THE THING SHE POSSESSED. Granted, she may not do this to bosses. But if it was with someone who had the skills and knew the greebly tricks... it is quite fun:)

I have the Cleric of Kelemvor myself for a my Trickster Rogue. Had to put her down for the Stone by the time I started Epic SPC, Spider, CN.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Like alot of things in the Zen Store, I feel most companions are just fluff, flashy things rarely used at end game level, wich perhaps is as it should be (to not delve too deep into p2w territory). Since the companions here have debatable AI and customization or dialogue (compared to, say, SWTOR) most of them are just there as a classic Hunter/Ranger pet, really, but one you have little control over.
    Galeb Duhr (sp?) and the cleric companions might be the exceptions for soloing, wich you rarely do at end game, especially since the reward for questing after 60 is very limited (unless you play simply for the fun of questing).
    In conclusion, unless they seriously rework the companions from the beginning, making them either more customizable and allow you to have much more control over them, and making them stronger in general (wich in turn would probably cause balance issues in dungeons) I don't see them truly replacing the stone/cat. Wich is a shame, cause personally I think the Ghost is a really, really cool idea, as is the low low drop chance healer one from profession packs, and I love companions in MMOs (and CRPGs in general).
    Great potential, hopefully they'll make something more with it - would add to the DnD feel of the game aswell, having a constant sidekick in the form of a (useful) surly old wizard or a forlorn spirit, maybe a funny wererat with bickering oneliners, and so on.
  • Options
    bullyfootjaxonbullyfootjaxon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They all commit suicide anyway?
  • Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I can't recall if Cryptic was still involved in City of Villains, but they had some really good controls for pets.

They were still involved. We were giving Statesman <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the forums about certain aspects like the Cathedral of Pain & Base Raids being sold right on the game box but not actually being functionally available in game for a long time. States owned up to it at least.
This discussion has been closed.