test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update to Proposed End Game Loot Changes

14567810»

Comments

• firestorm95firestorm95 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Allow the best gear in the game to get to the AH in any way.... it will be inflated. Every MMO has shown that if an item is BoE no matter how rare... it will appear on the AH. No one likes to be working for their gear only to realize the guy who just hit max level next to him bought all of his. I am speaking as someone who bought the founders pack and much more on the game... and I personally don't like BoEs on everything.

The developers at Neverwinter are trying to appeal to everyone, not just one group... but how do they do this? We all have different ideas as we all come from different backgrounds.

1. Lower teir items ("Welfare Epics"), are BoE (example just below tier 1. Some BoEs could be tier 1 and 2 that are NOT part of a set or necessarily the BEST stats for a character but still good. This would allow players to still get high end items for their alternate characters without having to ALWAYS play them, but the best gear is still from playing that specific character)

2. Mid to High tier items are BoP but can be purchased with Seals as well as obtained through drops and dungeon delves (example tier 1-2)

3. Highest tier items (BoP, Drops and dungeon delve in higher end dungeons only) (Example: tier 2.5)

This would allow players to have lower tier items they can get for their other characters and some higher tier (that have good stats, just not necessarily the best combination of them and not a set). Also this would reward players for the work they do with the seals not have to do a dungeon 50 times to get the high end gear. Having the highest tier items from drops and dungeon delve only but just slightly better than what you can get with seals, gives the hardcore players more to work with and still a bonus for playing more.
  • leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Kinda sad it only takes a few thousand AD to outfit a character in full epic armor.
  • roguish98roguish98 Member Posts: 78
    edited July 2013
    If you allow the best gear in the game to get to the AH in any way.... it will be inflated. Every MMO has shown that if an item is BoE no matter how rare... it will appear on the AH. No one likes to be working for their gear only to realize the guy who just hit max level next to him bought all of his. I am speaking as someone who bought the founders pack and much more on the game... and I personally don't like BoEs on everything.

I have heard several ideas that I think are great solutions and I hope many would embrace. They sum up to this:

"Welfare epics" are just fine. The BEST gear however be BoP. While some of this may drop from bosses, much of it could be bought with Seals that you earned while doing dungeons. Harder dungeons / raids (which MANY of us want raids... another topic) would provide other seals for higher tier items.

This still means that players can get epic gear to run dungeons and even if something isn't guaranteed to drop, the seals can be earned to purchase their gear. Highest tier items that are BoP could be "salvaged" and other epic items that can be crafted or simply are not part of a set and aren't necessarily the best can be BoE.

This brought a question to mind. I often see arguments stating that the best gear in game should be restricted to those who run dungeons (an "upper class" based on the post above). A reason for this that is often given is that there needs to be an incentive for people to group and run dungeons on a repeated basis. It is assumed, then, that other game play styles (the "welfare class" according to the post above) need no incentive other than that they are simply enjoyable.

Is it not logical to interpret this as saying that running dungeons is inherently less enjoyable than other play styles? If they are equally enjoyable on their own respective merits, then should we all not simply play our preferred way, and have each be a path to neat and equally powerful gear?
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    roguish98 wrote: »
    This brought a question to mind. I often see arguments stating that the best gear in game should be restricted to those who run dungeons (an "upper class" based on the post above). A reason for this that is often given is that there needs to be an incentive for people to group and run dungeons on a repeated basis. It is assumed, then, that other game play styles (the "welfare class" according to the post above) need no incentive other than that they are simply enjoyable.

Is it not logical to interpret this as saying that running dungeons is inherently less enjoyable than other play styles? If they are equally enjoyable on their own respective merits, then should we all not simply play our preferred way, and have each be a path to neat and equally powerful gear?

It is more that having every item purchasable in the AH takes out any significance in being able to kill the boss that drops the item. Even if the changes were only cosmetic to the best items, yet these were BoP this would be enough.
  • roguish98roguish98 Member Posts: 78
    edited July 2013
    Is it not a significant accomplishment to simply down a dungeon boss, just as downing a particularly challenging Foundry boss is assumed to be an accomplishment to be enjoyed on its own merits?
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    roguish98 wrote: »
    Is it not a significant accomplishment to simply down a dungeon boss, just as downing a particularly challenging Foundry boss is assumed to be an accomplishment to be enjoyed on its own merits?

Yes, but the nature of many MMO players is that they not only have to do something, but they also want OTHER people to know they did it.

Just like many people in real life.....
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    The original D&D isn't all about equipment and loot. It's all about smart use of player feats and abilities. How about we get some sort of alternate advancement system ..something akin to Everquest's AA system where your character's can learn new feats and abilities as milestones instead of bigger and bigger numbers on their equipment.
  • maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    people here are such elitists ....... whats so bad about everybody being able to wear good epic sets. Many people cant even afford having enchants pass r6.

Its hard enough for a "pugger" to get decent DD runs, its hard enough that in the recent 8 DD's i've done all i got were garbage.

If you wanna somehow curb the items to somewhat feel "ELITE" then it shouldn't be based on LUCK or having a static group. It should be based on effort. What i mean is IMPROVE THE DRAKE SEAL sets. make them worth working for. Its good to know that if i keep on playing this game I would eventually get better gear... not because i am lucky or rich.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    people here are such elitists ....... whats so bad about everybody being able to wear good epic sets. Many people cant even afford having enchants pass r6.

Its hard enough for a "pugger" to get decent DD runs, its hard enough that in the recent 8 DD's i've done all i got were garbage.

If you wanna somehow curb the items to somewhat feel "ELITE" then it shouldn't be based on LUCK or having a static group. It should be based on effort. What i mean is IMPROVE THE DRAKE SEAL sets. make them worth working for. Its good to know that if i keep on playing this game I would eventually get better gear... not because i am lucky or rich.

I could be wrong, but I think part of the issue is that, traditionally, if you possessed high end gear, chances are you had to "earn it" - by personally accomplishing the tasks that granted it. PvE is easy enough that someone could get all the way to 60 without actually learning some of the key behaviors necessary to play their character in truly demanding content.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

EDIT: Yes this fix would be ideally for curbing ninja looters, but that's also a large portion (from my experiences) of why some people buy gear to begin with; I mean seriously, drop rates are already low, you're competing with 4 others for gear, and to top it off if your piece DOES drop there is a high chance someone will just ninja it.

Currently the only way around that is forming/joining successful guild just so you can even play the end game content without fear someone is just good to spam need every time loot drops. This would help curb that and make it more viable for someone to run a dungeon outside of the DD event.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

On Topic: All gear past T1 should be BoP with the exception of minor T2's (I.E. Non-Set pieces like necklaces/belts).

Totally great idea i like it. Oh but that means coding for the devs to bad it comes down to something like that. Oh well
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    iraetfuria wrote: »
    You should just fix the dungeons, prevent ppl from rushing/exploiting them. That would prevent the loot inflation and would make the market and economy better. So go fix the reason that this problem is happening, not the cause.

I know it sucks that the dev team forgot how to code and build dungeons or even how to fix them. So instead lets do as little coding as possible and make all the stuff BoP. Problem solved and the least coding. But i bet they could screw even that amount of coding up somehow.
  • parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How about not necroing threads from the previous patch and stick to the current one?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Would the Devs kindly look into a possibility into Bind to Account items? Do we truly have to go through the linear gear curve for each character one makes? Imagine having multiple level 60 characters. Then while creating a new one you stop for a moment to think that in order to progress through the game you have go through the the same gear progression that you had done with the other already level 60 characters?

You might want to make a new thread. They'll probably lock this one for being a necro.

The thing is that soon, the gear will be the easy part of making a new character. If you already have a way to make AD (high level character, or alt leadership farm, or playing the AH, or real $, or whatever your choice method). You can easily buy enough gear to get into T2 dungeons off the AH. More and more gets added to the AH, way more than what people are buying.

Once the second module comes out, people should start to realize the real 'time' investment will be in getting each alt character all its boons from multiple campaigns.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    there are plenty current threads on this topic floating around. we don't need to dig up every old topic on the subject. please review the forum rules of conduct as they may have changed since you last read them.
    Rule 3.13 - No Necromancy
    . . . . If a thread has not been posted on in over thirty days, it likely contains out of date information or opinions. If you would like to continue such a discussion, please create a new thread to do so, or find an existing "living" one.
This discussion has been closed.