test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update to Proposed End Game Loot Changes

dinohedrondinohedron Member, Moderators, Cryptic Developers Posts: 28 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey everyone,

I wanted to let you all know what's going on with the proposed changes to end game loot.

A bit ago, we got a good deal of feedback that the current system of end game items being BoE can create a scenario where the best gear sets can be trivially purchased on the Auction House. This could potentially have the effect of cheapening the endgame experience of dungeon delves. We listened, took a look and agreed it wasn't unfolding as intended.

The proposed BoP changes that went up on Preview were our first crack at a solution. The idea was that by switching the best set gear to BoP it would be more prestigious. Adding the salvage vendor would continue to guarantee an important source of Astral Diamonds for high end bound items.

Once again, thanks to everyone who took the time to check them out and give us feedback. We got a lot of great comments both for and against the change which is exactly what we need from the community!

Your effort helped us to find several important issues:
  • With the current reward system, changing everything to BoP would make it prohibitively more difficult to complete your gear sets by running dungeons.
  • Loot drops, in their current state, can be exceptionally random, and the proposed changes would make that feel worse.
  • Getting the best slottable items for Companions that are a different class than your character would be extremely difficult.
While the proposed changes would fix one of the end game issues they would also create new ones that we aren't happy with and don't want to see on the live game. So these changes aren't going live yet. We still see an issue where the accomplishments of end game dungeon runners could be undermined by the ease of getting similar or equal gear through the Auction House, so we aren't done yet. We're taking all of your feedback and looking at new ways to solve what isn't working without hurting what is working.

A change like this is pretty huge, and we want to make sure we take the time to get it right. Please keep the feedback coming, it really does help us make a better game!

-Zeke
Post edited by dinohedron on

Comments

• Options
    showyofaceduckshowyofaceduck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

EDIT: Yes this fix would be ideally for curbing ninja looters, but that's also a large portion (from my experiences) of why some people buy gear to begin with; I mean seriously, drop rates are already low, you're competing with 4 others for gear, and to top it off if your piece DOES drop there is a high chance someone will just ninja it.

Currently the only way around that is forming/joining successful guild just so you can even play the end game content without fear someone is just good to spam need every time loot drops. This would help curb that and make it more viable for someone to run a dungeon outside of the DD event.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

On Topic: All gear past T1 should be BoP with the exception of minor T2's (I.E. Non-Set pieces like necklaces/belts).
  • Options
    iraetfuriairaetfuria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You should just fix the dungeons, prevent ppl from rushing/exploiting them. That would prevent the loot inflation and would make the market and economy better. So go fix the reason that this problem is happening, not the cause.
  • Options
    dannymccoydannymccoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    its a good job I, and others didnt just spend a load of cash buying up the AH then, based on your previous announcement. engage your collective brains before you knee jerk react and tell the world please. thank you.

If I didnt know any better, conspiracy theorists might think this was staged to drive zen sales to convert to AD to buy BoE items. but no, im sure that wasnt the case.
  • Options
    calis118calis118 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

That would fix it, yet for some reason in this game people just fail to understand how to roll. Everyone hits need on everything, its so darn annoying.
  • Options
    solidagesolidage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

Although at first I thought this was an OK idea, I'm curious if the community would just embrace "greeding on everything" also it doesn't really solve the problem of high-end gear being able to be purchased, but is better than what's in place now.
  • Options
    necrovechkinnecrovechkin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.
  • Options
    solidagesolidage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    dinohedron wrote: »
    • Getting the best slottable items for Companions that are a different class than your character would be extremely difficult.

Although this seems like a problem on the surface, I don't think anyone in the end truly cares about their companion (except those w/ a cat or an Iron orb) due to them being pretty inconsequential in battle and especially end-game.
  • Options
    ziggycashziggycash Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    calis118 wrote: »
    That would fix it, yet for some reason in this game people just fail to understand how to roll. Everyone hits need on everything, its so darn annoying.

"oh yeah need to sell this stuff i can't use"

if you do not need it to better you player stats then it's greed. i wish every player would pick up this mindset and play by it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

actually this doesn't fix:
    the current system of end game items being BoE can create a scenario where the best gear sets can be trivially purchased on the Auction House.
    at all. All it does is curb (not prevent) Ninjaing
  • Options
    grizzlyvgrizzlyv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013

That won't fix a **** thing.

What they're trying to solve is the end-game gear easily available for cheap on the AH. If it's BOE on greed, then whoever greeds it, gets it, sells it, it's still available on the AH!

Stop assuming that you flip a switch and it'll fix everything. You hate ninja looters, you think that will stop them, so you propose that as the ultimate fix. It's not. Think it through.
  • Options
    trocan678trocan678 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited June 2013
    dannymccoy wrote: »
    its a good job I, and others didnt just spend a load of cash buying up the AH then, based on your previous announcement. engage your collective brains before you knee jerk react and tell the world please. thank you.

If I didnt know any better, conspiracy theorists might think this was staged to drive zen sales to convert to AD to buy BoE items. but no, im sure that wasnt the case.

It never ends. They announce something, everyone freaks out about it and says they'll quit playing. So they actually show they care and LISTEN to the players' feedback, and yet again, people with more money than sense complain about that instead.
  • Options
    zeroxoszeroxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But they do that so they can sell thing in Ah xD its aggravating but it just life in neverwinter right now.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    1.) Add more loot to Seal vendors - basically slightly less powerful versions of all the gear in the game. For God's sake, give them set bonuses.
    2.) Make loot BoP.
    3.) Be able to exchange loot for seals at seal vendors.
    4.) Seal vendor loot is unbound.
    5.) Add an "unbinding" token to seal vendors.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Thanks Zeke!

Greats to see that you're listening.

Personally I do like the idea of Need = Bound to Character even if need remained class specific. This would encourage more people to use greed even in the late game while properly punishing players for needing when they don't truly need the items.

But, please please please implement the salvage system as you had it right now!

I really hate throwing away my outdated epic gear for a pittance of gold. On top of that some of the items are truly worth less than they should be on the auction house. The salvage system as it is could establish a base line AD value for many of the lesser desired items.

EDIT - On the note of seals: They truly become worthless after you start getting good gear. Even the low level ones aren't worth using since you outlevel the gear that you would purchase faster than you obtain seals.
    Seals need to get some alternate use. Perhaps as item upgrades or a means to purchase rare profession resources such as Dragon Eggs?
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    seal and pvp gear should be bop and u can add some special 6 parts sets for 20vs20 seals or dungeons seals only so ppl could not instant buy it from ah they would need to earn it or special daily or weekly event which reward some seals for special gear sets btw some nice gems for seals would be nice to
  • Options
    sorrowswindssorrowswinds Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    I only agree with the Bind on Equip. If you cannot sell anything then where is the trade market?

All buy and no sell makes jack a dull boy
    eIZAVOi.jpg
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It wouldn't fix the problem. There are some that will still Need just to sell the equipment to NPCs, even though they wouldn't get much for it, because that's just the way some people are.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is good news and no I don't have a solution to this other then leave things alone because to me this system harkens back to old school MMO design when there was no such thing as BOE or BOA. The only issue I have is with Belts, Rings and Necklaces being able to need on by any class. Set items have already been fixed thanks to only those using being able to roll need.

However my primary concern with this game is that most T2 dungeons are extremely hard due to their unorthodox boss strategies of having a billion mobs. I would much rather see a smaller number of adds but make the bosses themselves more interesting and harder. Right now most boss fights have 1 or 2 people DPS'ing the boss and the rest controlling the adds. Seems counterintuitive to normal game design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    pro4nosauraspro4nosauras Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yeah i think necro has a good idea there but it could have an adverse effect- people who don't necessarily need it will still need then just sell the item for gold. Yes, gold is yes useful in comparison to AD but in the end, you can still get things like enchanted keys for gold.
  • Options
    erwerman1erwerman1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

I agree 100%
    Smart thinking there mate.
  • Options
    adevlin1991adevlin1991 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    dannymccoy wrote: »

... you wasted in game currency by speculating that changes that hadn't even hit the preview shard yet would make it to live, even though they stated that they were "testing" them on the preview shard first. I highly doubt that the testing of a new loot system on the test shard was engineered to promote zen purchases on the live shards.
  • Options
    larrybusbylarrybusby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    Its been answered
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.
  • Options
    ostjaevelostjaevel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1) Make everything in dungeons BoP, except for a select few pieces, could be a "world drop".
    Then remake the gear on the seal vendors, that stuff is already expensive enough to warrant it being part of the tier sets - even if its a lesser version. Ofcourse, keep it BoP from the seal vendors to avoid people abusing it.

2) Make rings, necks and belts unbound from the seal vendors (to help gear up new guildmembers or friends). I know for a fact that i have more then enough Pegasus seals to buy a small army - and nothing to spend it on.

3) Implement the salvage system and allow us to get rid of the bound epics that are virtually useless to us anyways.

4) Make DD permanent. Stop forcing people to play during 4 special hours per day. This way it doesnt feel like running a dungeon is total waste outside of the times DD is up.

5) Get rid of the low level seals, they are useless. By the time you have enough to buy a single piece you either outleveled them or you will very soon. Or you could always allow us to get some uncommon/rare/epic crafting materials from them.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I must say leaving this alone isn't an option, though.

I stand by my doomsaying: we have a ticking time bomb. There are more items coming into the game than demand for them.

The prices are high now but sooner or later they will become so common that the prices will crash to values way below where they should be.

Needing becoming Bind on Pickup is a great start but overall I think it's time that drops aren't guaranteed every run. Perhaps players should just be rewarded with AD or rare/epic resource items which could also upgrade even the late game loot. I'm not sure...
    But overall there's just too much loot being dropped in the end. Players need their rewards but if everybody gets them then the items will simply crash in the long term.
  • Options
    solidtxsolidtx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Prestige doesn't come easy. Make the tier loot sets BOP. I have a large guild that wants to move on to another game (like Wildstar coming soon) where progression means progression. It shouldn't be easy and not everyone deserves tier gear. Make the gear BOP or risk more people leaving because today END GAME MEANS NOTHING.
  • Options
    satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Just start with making any and all need rolls BOP and fixing all exploits.
  • Options
    manpetsmanpets Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

+

need=BoP=gold only
    greed=BoE=gold/diam
  • Options
    bsq2bsq2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The response to companion items is just make all seal items available to all classes, and also all BoP.

Even further, have an exchange vendor, that lets you trade high end items for another classes. Since the companion items are all off hand, just let people trade the item they got for one of another class.

To make the tier sets more accessible, first you make the chests drop one of the two things that are advertised, instead of also potentially random other loot.

Also make the chests drop either an accessory (ring, belt, neck, etc) and have those stay BoE. OR the chest will drop a "tier token" that you can swap to a vendor for whichever set you would like. All the tier pieces and the tokens are BoP. The tokens for each dungeon correspond to the head, chest, etc. that each dungeon supposedly drops.

This means everyone has much higher odds of getting the specific tier piece they want, also it makes all accessory gear available for companion use, and economy stimulus. People still have to run the Dungeons For gear, but don't have to farm maddeningly for one target piece.

Tadaa.
  • Options
    sk0olzsk0olz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is it just me, or is the solution incredibly obvious? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand how Cryptic has not come to this conclusion:

Make the "best" gear (tier sets or better) BoP. Make all other epics that lead up to the "best" BoE since they're used as a ladder to reach the "end game" gear.

Another easy idea is to make all epics that drop from bosses in tier dungeons BoP. Then, add "almost but not quite" as good BoE epics that drop randomly from mobs in the dungeon.

Is it really that hard?
  • Options
    silentnights1silentnights1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Change gear to set tokens, allow set tokens to also be purchased with seals. Keep non set items as random BOE, specifically right side slots. Set tokens would be head, arms, armor, main hand, off hand, boots. Does it stop ninja'ing...nope. Does it give an alternative avenue to acquire your set by running enough dungeons...yep.
This discussion has been closed.