test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The reason i think the [feywild pack] is over-priced <an imo thread>

Comments

• phytherinessphytheriness Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't disagree that the expansion is a bit pricey, but the action that would make the devs take notice isn't going to happen and that is lack of or reduced sales, everyone I know who is a Drizzt fan is doing the /snoopydance over this, it's going to sell a shameful amount and in the long run that is going to benefit future expansions (which I hope feature places like the Shadowfell) after the ranger class is released you can truly be drizzt (Drow Ranger with a Big black kitty and a Unicorn to ride) and that is a license to print money. So while I may be groaning rolling my eyes and facepalming, I also know that from a business point a view it is a smart first expansion pack to have.

I don't see this. Drizzt or even Realms diehards/fan-boys within this game are a niche group stemming from what is already a niche group. A niche within a niche as it were.

As an example: I'd wager that the bulk of the Neverwinter player base isn't even familiar with the names and or work of people deeply tied to the setting, like Ed Greenwood or R.A. Salvatore. I'd further bet that far more of them are habitual online gamers giving one of the latest 'free start' MMO's a spin. I easily see more of these vanity packages being purchased by online gamers, than Salvatore, Greenwood or Realms fans.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    It is a discount. You are paying $60 instead of $200:D.

A discount compared to people who have never paid before. :p
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    It is a discount. You are paying $60 instead of $200:D.

Lovely. And refreshing.
    My gripe is that I don't like anything in that pack. Except ad of course. Fairy, unicorn, gloomy-looking elves, enchantment visual seem to be distracting. Oh well...
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My only gripe is that mounts are not as valuable after you own one already. I think the pack is an excellent value if you didn't already own a pack but if you already did I feel $40 dollars would be a more reasonable price.

As such I feel if you already own a Guardian of the North or Hero of the North pack you should receive a discount on the Knight of the Feywild and any future such packs.

This is true if you're looking at it from a purely game mechanics viewpoint. Sure you don't -need- another mount if you already have a rank 3 one for all characters. And you don't -need- another companion if you already have an account wide one as well. Two things though:

First. The fact that you already have one doesn't mean that they need to discount it though. I hate using analogies, but I will anyway... A car dealership shouldn't have to give someone a discount just because they already have a car. Imo PWE should be able to add similar items without us expecting every new thing to be better or cheaper.

Second. There is the buying fluff thing. Some people would pay more than half the packs cost for a Unicorn even if they already had a mount. I'm sure the same thing goes for the fairy companion.

Personally I'd rather have the parts sold piecemeal. So people could buy only what they want. Easier on the customer. But they obviously think they'll make more money selling packs. I doubt anything we say could change their minds on that. They'll obviously look at whatever sales data they collect and decide for themselves.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Skins aren't worth the price they charge in my books.

The mounts are only worth the price in my opinion because they are Tier 3 and Account Wide. Once you already have one the "Convenience Fee" is no more and the fee for the mounts should be aquequately reduced to what the fee is.

The analogy is better to relate a Tier 3 Mount to a sports car which doesn't get old or lose value. If you already have the sports car and it's value remains static it is far cheaper to get it repainted (new skin) than to purchase a brand new one. There's no difference between any Tier 3 Mount other than the skin so once the Tier 3 is purchased the fee should be adequately reduced to only have to purchase the new skins.
  • sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Convenience fee..

Don't forget your Ioun Stone.

My bad, that's the character power fee.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    This is true if you're looking at it from a purely game mechanics viewpoint. Sure you don't -need- another mount if you already have a rank 3 one for all characters. And you don't -need- another companion if you already have an account wide one as well. Two things though:

First. The fact that you already have one doesn't mean that they need to discount it though. I hate using analogies, but I will anyway... A car dealership shouldn't have to give someone a discount just because they already have a car. Imo PWE should be able to add similar items without us expecting every new thing to be better or cheaper.

Second. There is the buying fluff thing. Some people would pay more than half the packs cost for a Unicorn even if they already had a mount. I'm sure the same thing goes for the fairy companion.

Personally I'd rather have the parts sold piecemeal. So people could buy only what they want. Easier on the customer. But they obviously think they'll make more money selling packs. I doubt anything we say could change their minds on that. They'll obviously look at whatever sales data they collect and decide for themselves.

i like the second and third part of your post and hate analogies as well (somehow i keep doing it though) so here is one
    you go into a store to buy a $20 pair of shoes, but they only sell shoes with shirts and pants packaged with them and for $60 and while the shoes are the right size the outfit is not.
    are you still going to spend the $60 even though you only want the $20 shoes?
    21.jpg
    edited July 2013
    The analogy is better to relate a Tier 3 Mount to a sports car which doesn't get old or lose value. If you already have the sports car and it's value remains static it is far cheaper to get it repainted (new skin) than to purchase a brand new one. There's no difference between any Tier 3 Mount other than the skin so once the Tier 3 is purchased the fee should be adequately reduced to only have to purchase the new skins.

Again, that's only game mechanics. To many people a unicorn is the fantasy sports car. And they'd pay a good amount of money to get one. Even if they already have a mount of equal quality when looking at the function only. Imo they aren't going to lower the regular price just because some people already have the function of a T3 mount. They'd be dumb to, because people will pay for vanity.
    edited July 2013
    i like the second and third part of your post and hate analogies as well (somehow i keep doing it though) so here is one
    you go into a store to buy a $20 pair of shoes, but they only sell shoes with shirts and pants packaged with them and for $60 and while the shoes are the right size the outfit is not.
    are you still going to spend the $60 even though you only want the $20 shoes?

Depends... How bad do I want the shoes? Can I get the shoes anywhere else? Do the other items have any value at all to me?

PWE knows some people only want some of the things from the packs. But they also know that we can't get them anywhere else. So they list them as packs and see who buys. If enough people bite, and they make money, its fine. If people don't they can always break it down and sell the parts individually later. And at that point they've already got money from those willing to buy the packs, then they are just getting a bit more from the more shrewd shoppers.
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nick1stern wrote: »
    No clearly you do not know the menaing.
    They did not force or coerce anyone into buying anything.
    If you are so weak willed and impulsive and lack the ability
    to make important financial decisions you should lock away
    your credit card.

That way al those pretty new shiney things can not coerce you.

How could I not know the meaning... The problem is that you do not know what I mean. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I stipulate that the main problem with the pack is that for sixty bucks, you can go out and purchase a WHOLE GAME.(This is a fact.)

Let that sink in. A whole new game.

This pack? Fluff items. OH. And free content that will likely(this part is pure speculation in case anyone has difficulty determining such things) only run most people a few hours before it becomes just a part of the grind.

A whole game. (Fact.)
    vs.
    Fluff content. (Fact.)

Craptic has lost its sense of proportion, and most of the customer base(this is again speculation, but it's based on observation) is completely taken in by the hype and propaganda and will happily shell out money to support such tripe.

I certainly won't, however. (This part is fact.)

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am pretty sure that I have read, somewhere, that those who spend money in a F2P game end up spending more than they would have in a subscription based game. I believe that F2P games are designed to get more out of those willing or able to spend because they are a minority of the total playerbase.

That said, the NW to WoW comparison falls apart when you consider the basic question of, "why are you here instead of there ?" If you can get more value for your dollar there than here, why are you here ? Value is completely subjective of course and so perhaps the answer is that you cannot get as much there, no matter how much is bundled with a $15 per month tag, than what you can get here, no matter how expensive it might be.

Also keep in mind that renting can often be cheaper, in the short term, than buying. In wow, over the course of a year you will have spent $180 in sub fees on top of that box price for all of those extra races, character slots, etc that you are comparing to the cost of the new NW pack. In NW, over the course of the same year you would have still spent only $60.

A second year goes by and now you have spent $360 + box price on that WoW package deal compared to the NW pack's $60. Basically a NW pack has a higher front loaded cost while WoW has a much higher cost over time. A NW pack purchased at launch costs the same amount for the life of the game. A WoW account increases in cost over the life of the game. One might get more out of a WoW box at the time of purchase, but by now (what 9 years ?) having access to the features included in that original box could cost over a thousand dollars.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • kshoksho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
    edited July 2013
    In wow you pay because YOU MUST to even play, here you can play for free and pay only for "seet"/convenient, cosmetical stuff....
  • nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    How could I not know the meaning... The problem is that you do not know what I mean. ;)

Oh I got your meaning you are hidding behind ignorance and lack of self control
    and trying to call it coercive. Typical it is not me it is someone elses fault for
    your own lack of self control.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    and trying to call it coercive. Typical it is not me it is someone elses fault for

yup, actually i have to agree with this guy, this is your lack of willpower, not coercion.
    but please stick to the topic.
    21.jpg
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that I have read, somewhere, that those who spend money in a F2P game end up spending more than they would have in a subscription based game. I believe that F2P games are designed to get more out of those willing or able to spend because they are a minority of the total playerbase.

Right.

The model is not a lower margin, higher volume model, but a lower volume, higher margin model. The key is milking the "whales" in any freemium game because the playerbase of a freemium game is mostly made up of people who spend nothing at all, followed by a smaller group of people who spend something but not much, followed by a very small number of people who are willing to spend a lot. The latter group is what primarily finances a freemium game, and so the pricing is done accordingly.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ksho wrote: »
    In wow you pay because YOU MUST to even play, here you can play for free and pay only for "seet"/convenient, cosmetical stuff....
    theoretically,in pratice have you ever heard of peer pressure? In WoW, just to continue your example if you don't get the horse when you hit lvl 20 (and it is something that you buy in game with game gold that you earned playing)everyone look at you like a bum, and at that lvl you don't need really the horse.Add to that, that no matter what they tell you, there are things here that you really need to have to enjoy the game
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    theoretically,in pratice have you ever heard of peer pressure? In WoW, just to continue your example if you don't get the horse when you hit lvl 20 (and it is something that you buy in game with game gold that you earned playing)everyone look at you like a bum, and at that lvl you don't need really the horse.Add to that, that no matter what they tell you, there are things here that you really need to have to enjoy the game

And I want Ferrari to enjoy life. In fact, I have to pay bills, have to buy clothes, have to buy food.
    Ofc I can live for free...
  • nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

There is nothing beyond base content anyone Needs to play or enjoy the game.
    There are many things people want to have and those things may increse the enjoyment for some.
    That is why fremium games like this do so well.

Nothing is Needed however. It is all optional. Self control is the only requierment.
  • prettyboysetaprettyboyseta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited July 2013
    There are many things people want to have and those things may increse the enjoyment for some.

Nothing is Needed however. It is all optional. Self control is the only requierment.

agree. if anyone here has played p2w Korean MMOs like I have you'll think PWE is generous.
    I didn't buy any pack because I'd rather spend the $60 on Steam, and I don't regret anything.
    Wizard.jpg
    edited July 2013

Right...

Anyways, if you are intrested on whats behind, read this article; it's from someone that actually works on game development, and I find it very intresting. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2013
    Right.

The model is not a lower margin, higher volume model, but a lower volume, higher margin model. The key is milking the "whales" in any freemium game because the playerbase of a freemium game is mostly made up of people who spend nothing at all, followed by a smaller group of people who spend something but not much, followed by a very small number of people who are willing to spend a lot. The latter group is what primarily finances a freemium game, and so the pricing is done accordingly.

Yep. And once enough time has passed, and a shop item/pack has run its course of popularity with the "whales". It can be put on sale and sold to the portion of players who still pay, but spend less. A wise business cashes in on more than one set of customers at a time.
    edited July 2013
    Right...

Anyways, if you are intrested on whats behind, read this article; it's from someone that actually works on game development, and I find it very intresting. ;)

Already read it Not sure you have.
    It clearly states that F2P is not Coercive.
    That self control is all that is needed.
    Weak willed people that have no self control are the only ones crying about being coerced.
    Hide behind it all you want that article dose not support your interpretation.
    Learn to think for yourself rather then letting others do it for you.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Yep. And once enough time has passed, and a shop item/pack has run its course of popularity with the "whales". It can be put on sale and sold to the portion of players who still pay, but spend less. A wise business cashes in on more than one set of customers at a time.

Correct. If we look at Star Trek Online, you can see this in effect. Older stuff sells for less than newer stuff does precisely for this reason.

This entire game is new, however, so everything is still premium priced to milk the whales.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Right...

If the game doesn't intimidate, threaten you or force you to pay by making the game feel impossible to win unless you make a purchase, there is no coercion.
    Neverwinter is not an example of coercive F2P.

Neverwinter's items for pay are for fluff and convenience.
    F2P is designed, of course, to entice players to pay. And to pay more than they normally would for a subscription.
    For me, the comparison isn't to a subscription fee. Rather, I compare to the prices I would pay per hour or month for other forms of entertainment.
    That makes it easy enough to decide to succumb to, or resist, the temptations to purchase the extras.
    edited July 2013
    This game does not seem coercive the way he is describing it in that article.

If it were, it would be designed like this:

Get from level 0 (A) to level 20 (B) --> Free
    Get from level 20 (B) to level 60 (C) --> $1
    Enter an endgame dungeon (D) --> $500

That isn't this game at all. The stuff you can buy is convenience oriented. Yes, you can buy gear on the AH using zen to AD currency exchange and short cut the time to farm the gear yourself, but you can farm it yourself without paying a dime. So following the model i the article, the game is not designed in a coercive way.

Of course there is enticing stuff in the store that may make your gameplay less time consuming (mounts), may make some things more effective (companions, crafting assets) and so on. Some of that is enticing to some people. But it isn't coercive as described in the article.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

There is nothing beyond food, clothing, shelter and the job to support these things that one needs in order to live.
    There are many things people want to increase enjoyment of life, this is why corporations are making money.

Nothing is Needed, however. It is all optional. Self control is the only requirement.

See what I did there?

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    There is nothing beyond food, clothing, shelter and the job to support these things that one needs in order to live.
    There are many things people want to increase enjoyment of life, this is why corporations are making money.

Nothing is Needed, however. It is all optional. Self control is the only requirement.

See what I did there?

Yes you tried sacrcasim and fail very badly.
    Funny thing is you are right as am I.
    It is also the first time you said anything that makes any sense in any thread you have posted to.
    Optional is not needed it is wanted.

Greedy People often want more than they can afford and blame the corporations when they can not.
    Rather then realise those things are optional and not needed.
    Show a little self control and you can have the things you rally want.
    No not all of them but the most important ones.

Same as in this fremium game.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do think the pack is a good deal for newcomers. I bought the $60 original founders pack and it has more than paid off, just for one character, let alone that I can use the mount and companion on all my characters.

The offering is far less sweet for existing pack owners. I already have a mount and companion for all my characters. Spending $60 more for a race skin along with some AD and a mount and companion just doesn't make sense for me.

I realize it's all optional, but I think if you (Cryptic) priced items a little more reasonably I would be more inclined to spend a little more. In Rift or Tera if I buy $50 worth of game cash it feels like it goes a long way and adds a lot to my account. When I buy $50 worth of Zen, which I have, it doesn't feel like it goes very far.
    edited July 2013
    Already read it Not sure you have.
    It clearly states that F2P is not Coercive.
    That self control is all that is needed.
    Weak willed people that have no self control are the only ones crying about being coerced.
    Hide behind it all you want that article dose not support your interpretation.
    Learn to think for yourself rather then letting others do it for you.

Good joke. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]