Options

Solution to the pay only races

2»

Comments

• Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    timmbeer wrote: »
    Good, like you too, assuming that he/she is sorry for assuming :)

Hey, that is the fun part of word game lol

It was quite obvious he wasn't sorry for assuming, due to the extended bit after. The cutting off of the rest of his post in the quote was a bit of self-indulgence on my part.
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Now there is an expansion already announced, yet another race and mount, but only if you pay for it? Seriously? What I want to know is what is going to be available to the ppl who DONT want to pay $60 every month for something new.
    All the other content that they introduce that isn't in the pack. The new mounts, companions that have been added to the zen store, as well as the Sun Elves (and likely Drow), plus all of the new quests, areas, and campaign system that is part of the new expansion that they get for free.

The expansion itself is still free and available to everyone. The pack just contains some exclusive items/companions/mounts etc.
    I certainly can't afford it. Are we going to have to pay for new classes as well? Will the pay only races eventually be unlocked for those of us who have other bills to pay and can't continually throw money at a game? Especially at one with as little to offer as this one. Anyone know?
    As far as I can see, you won't have to pay for new classes. Drow will become available to anyone without paying, but there is no guarantee that Moon Elves will ever be available for free.

If you already have a pack, then you will get less value out of the new feywild pack. If you don't think that what you personally will get out of the pack is worth the cost, don't buy it. people buying/not buying stuff will hopefully go into their economics matrix to determine what they can sell in the future, and how much they can charge for it.
  • Options
    jahvajahva Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    It was quite obvious he wasn't sorry for assuming, due to the extended bit after. The cutting off of the rest of his post in the quote was a bit of self-indulgence on my part.

And now your assuming that I'm not sorry about assuming assumptions in this assumptuous world that we assumidly assume in.

Err... yeah. This is just getting silly now. I think I'll stop there.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jahva wrote: »
    And now your assuming that I'm not sorry about assuming assumptions in this assumptuous world that we assumidly assume in.

Err... yeah. This is just getting silly now. I think I'll stop there.
    I didn't need to assume. It was quite obvious.
  • Options
    shefenhowshefenhow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited July 2013
    In DDO the solution to allow everyone to have the drow while making money for DDO by coming out with the drow was to only unlock it after a certain level was reached. The problem in NWO is that players level up lightening fast.

You could not unlock Drow in DDO by reaching a certain level, so the speed of leveling in Neverwinter is unrelated.
  • Options
    mastruqmastruq Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cant they be bought with Zen anyway? It may take some saving up then but its already possible to get them through playing? I'm just thinking if they add a long, challenging quest line I'd rather have that for a generally interesting reward and not a race I might not want to play ever.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Doesn't the zen exchange offer the solution to this?
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All these threads over 1 race that you have to pay for?

I think this may be an understatement when I say I think your overeacting..
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    I like the in-game solution to unlocking an extra race. Unfortunately I don't think they want to give this out for free.
  • Options
    tag76tag76 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can't see why the new character shouldn't be free. How is a $200 pack in a free to play game NOT pay for itself enough to cough out a few extra classes exactly? Your not going to tell me they didn't make their money off us yet, cause that's a joke in a half right there!

One more thing, the pets that we actually PAY for, shouldn't be character bound. At the very least they should be account bind, meaning we can transfer them to are alt character!
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    shefenhow wrote: »
    You could not unlock Drow in DDO by reaching a certain level, so the speed of leveling in Neverwinter is unrelated.

Yes, you could. I remember being rather fired up that I unlocked both Drow AND a 32 point build.

It wasn't by character level, but with something like reputation points. Do so many quests at a certain difficulty level and you would "earn" points in various factions.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Yes, you could. I remember being rather fired up that I unlocked both Drow AND a 32 point build.

It wasn't by character level, but with something like reputation points. Do so many quests at a certain difficulty level and you would "earn" points in various factions.

You realize you contradict yourself right? You say yes you could unlock it by reaching a certain level, and then say it isnt unlocked by character level.
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You realize you contradict yourself right? You say yes you could unlock it by reaching a certain level, and then say it isnt unlocked by character level.

not really, you had to be a certain level to do the quests that you got the reputation points or whatever they were called from, there was no way to get them with new characters you had to level quite a ways first

those that don't mind spending money and want everything right away would purchase the drow from the start, others would be so happy they unlocked and got the drow they would spend money on bettering it... if it was pay only, the second batch of players who won't buy the drow but who would deck it out wouldn't have spent anything and wouldn't have ended up playing the game as long
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    not really, you had to be a certain level to do the quests that you got the reputation points or whatever they were called from, there was no way to get them with new characters you had to level quite a ways first

I only remember having to get to lv5 or whatever it was, and be out of the tutorial zone. I was getting rep points from the Kobold sewers quests.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The Drow in DDO are unlocked by achieving 400 favour points on one character. You get Favour points by running quests. Since you level up by running quests as well, normal play would mean that you would probably hit a fairly consistent level.
    So while Wholyhandgrenade was wrong (it is possible to achieve Drow before the normal level) it is an understandable mistake to make.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    It sounds good as you describe it, but they would have to run the numbers on it, and make some forecasts and such, to see if it would be worth it to them to put this kind of thing in place versus whatever plans they currently intend to follow.

and the chances of PWE doing that instead of just inventing more **** to force you to buy is zero.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    mastruq wrote: »
    Cant they be bought with Zen anyway? It may take some saving up then but its already possible to get them through playing? I'm just thinking if they add a long, challenging quest line I'd rather have that for a generally interesting reward and not a race I might not want to play ever.
    As yet, it looks like they can't. We don't know whether they will implement that option in the future.
    tag76 wrote: »
    I can't see why the new character shouldn't be free. How is a $200 pack in a free to play game NOT pay for itself enough to cough out a few extra classes exactly? Your not going to tell me they didn't make their money off us yet, cause that's a joke in a half right there!
    We don't know how many of those packes were bought, how much the zen store is making, what the upkeep costs of the servers, salaries of the employees, and the dept incurred by the development of the game.
    They are giving one race free, why would they not sell the option of the other race?
    One more thing, the pets that we actually PAY for, shouldn't be character bound. At the very least they should be account bind, meaning we can transfer them to are alt character!
    Do you mean the companions that you get in the pack? The ones that every character on the account can claim? Why not just claim another with your alt?