test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Solution to the pay only races

wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In DDO the solution to allow everyone to have the drow while making money for DDO by coming out with the drow was to only unlock it after a certain level was reached. The problem in NWO is that players level up lightening fast. The solution I propose would be to allow new races to be unlocked by either qualifying for it through its purchase or by having X number of level 60 characters already on the account. The drow could be set to be unlocked after a player has one (or 2) character reach level 60, the moon elf could be set to require more. The incentive of NWO would be to keep players playing and gearing up after they already have one or more level 60 characters and the incentive for the players would be to unlock the next race and level it up and gear it all out. Both NWO and the players would come out ahead. Win/Win

this method could also be used for new classes

the real beauty is that it rewards the people who have been loyal and playing the longest
Post edited by wholyhandgrenade on

Comments

• Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They could add in some alternative in game method, like ones you propose, or some kind of difficult special solo quest or some such, one each to unlock various things. I think that may conflict with some of their revenue earning plans though.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    They could add in some alternative in game method, like ones you propose, or some kind of difficult special solo quest or some such, one each to unlock various things. I think that may conflict with some of their revenue earning plans though.

the thing is, it would keep players playing as opposed to losing interest and leaving... sure they may lose out on a dollar cost to new race basis but they would clean up more on characters making the new classes and gearing them all out simply cause they qualify for them... the more that play the higher game revenues should become and remain (this is why stores have sales, they lose out on the per item sales profit but they clean up on the increased traffic and customer retention)

even after reaching level 60 trying to complete Castle Never is likely going to mean you are going to need to gear way up... if you earn points for new classes/races only after your character is at level 60 through PvP or completion of dungeon runs or stuff like that then you are creating a system where players really need to gear up at level 60 and they need to keep playing to unlock
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It could work, if they could figure out a system similar to what you describe that provided the revenue they expected from it. It's not a bad idea at all, but would require some more effort on their part than the current approach, so there would have to be sufficient additional revenue for them to do the extra work such a system would require.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It could work, if they could figure out a system similar to what you describe that provided the revenue they expected from it. It's not a bad idea at all, but would require some more effort on their part than the current approach, so there would have to be sufficient additional revenue for them to do the extra work such a system would require.

if upon introducing new races they make it so they can only be accessed through money for the first month and then they can be accessed either through money or through qualification after that time then the payoff would already be there for them, retaining players and drawing in their friends should outpace the pay only method and those who don't mind spending money will aptly pay for immediate access to such races upon joining the game... in other words they lose nothing and would come out ahead as long as they install the initial wait period, and under this type of method of delay it would aptly pay them to keep making new races and classes
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    if upon introducing new races they make it so they can only be accessed through money for the first month and then they can be accessed either through money or through qualification after that time then the payoff would already be there for them, retaining players and drawing in their friends should outpace the pay only method and those who don't mind spending money will aptly pay for immediate access to such races upon joining the game... in other words they lose nothing and would come out ahead as long as they install the initial wait period, and under this type of method of delay it would aptly pay them to keep making new races and classes
    It sounds good as you describe it, but they would have to run the numbers on it, and make some forecasts and such, to see if it would be worth it to them to put this kind of thing in place versus whatever plans they currently intend to follow.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It sounds good as you describe it, but they would have to run the numbers on it, and make some forecasts and such, to see if it would be worth it to them to put this kind of thing in place versus whatever plans they currently intend to follow.

its all based upon forecast assumptions and in those assumptions should be included those players who will quit out of hate of those classes being pay only (they leave and they take their friends with and they tell their non-game friends not to play) ... the greed aspect may look good on paper but it most always tends to screw itself over on how many players keep playing as well as how many new ones come in cause those that leave tell people as well as rate and post online not to play
  • Options
    vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    its all based upon forecast assumptions and in those assumptions should be included those players who will quit out of hate of those classes being pay only (they leave and they take their friends with and they tell their non-game friends not to play) ... the greed aspect may look good on paper but it most always tends to screw itself over on how many players keep playing as well as how many new ones come in cause those that leave tell people as well as rate and post online not to play

This is exactly the point. You already have to pay for character slots, bags, bank slots, crafting supplies, etc... for each character, adding the cost of paying for races that should have already been in the game, is going to be seen as over the top, by a lot of people.

Having to buy slots is already a detriment to many people starting a new character, adding the cost of paying for a race on top of that will make it even less likely. On the other hand, having the races be free will likely encourage more players to start new characters. Again, we are talking about basic D&D races here, not some rare, elite race.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Do something to keep people in the game.

Put in a long exploration / lore-type quest that allows you unlock the race through common understanding (Role-players); introduce a faction system that allows you to work towards unlocking the race as you fight / quest (grinders), allow characters to undertake a series of quests where you join ranks of that race and earn their respect through battles and bloodshed, thereby unlocking it (action). Heck. their own campaign system could be working towards this.

Just add some immersion to the game, people will enjoy it. As it is now, people are crying out for things to do in the game after hitting 60.

If people want to bypass all of that, then let them buy the race LATER. Give the active players the first chance to work towards unlocking the races before people just step in and buy it.
  • Options
    drquinchdrquinch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think in time you'll see all the P2P races available to all. But you'll see them continue with this model so that impatient numpties like me keep paying cus I JUST CAN'T WAIT. So I'd assume you'll see 2-3 P2P races in game untill each race becomes "old news" and the then released to all. Its all about the "Hype" see ;)
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    On the other hand there would players that would rage quit because they have paid good money to get a race or class and suddenly everyone get it for free and if they would not leave they would not fall twice in the same trap. The best way could be to be able to buy those races and classes in game with astral diamonds (a lot of them)
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Time for my favorite Robert A. Heinlein quote.

'The answer to any question starting, "Why don't they-" is almost always, "Money."'
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So many people still don't understand the concept of a F2P cash-shop game. You get to pay for each individual option or add-on. That's how it works. Get used to it or choose to play a subscription-only game.

It is a simple concept. Why is such a simple concept so very difficult for some to grasp? PWE is not going to suddenly decide that Johnny Whiney-on-the-spot can do a better job of designing a game's revenue model. Look at PWE's other games, and then also remember that the majority of MMO players around the world do not hold on to a false sense of entitlement that everything in the game should be free. PWE's model is the same one that has been used in Asia for many years now. The North American market is only a tiny portion of the total online gaming market. For the publisher online gaming is a business, not an experiment in free love.
  • Options
    jahvajahva Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I said this a couple of times already, but I feel they just need to separate them from all the other incentives and price them out lower. I understand the f2p module means dumping money into it to get the most out of it, and while I don't really like having to shell out money for every little thing, I understand that it isn't going to just go away.

I will say, however, that between 200 people purchasing a $60 package of assorted stuff that they may or may not like, or having 2,000 people purchase a $15-$20 specifically to unlock what they want, you'll make far more money by dropping the price and making it more accessible to a larger group of people.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    jahva wrote: »
    I said this a couple of times already, but I feel they just need to separate them from all the other incentives and price them out lower. I understand the f2p module means dumping money into it to get the most out of it, and while I don't really like having to shell out money for every little thing, I understand that it isn't going to just go away.

I will say, however, that between 200 people purchasing a $60 package of assorted stuff that they may or may not like, or having 2,000 people purchase a $15-$20 specifically to unlock what they want, you'll make far more money by dropping the price and making it more accessible to a larger group of people.
    That all sounds good, but the numbers in your last paragraph are just those you imagine, for the purpose of illustrating your point. They have access to the real data, and a fair amount of experience with cash shop models and how to manage them. There won't be changes along the lines you suggest until their sales indicate such a change is needed to maximize profitability.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I don't understand how any player determines "races that should already have been in the game."
    I see the entire game as "content we should have paid for."
    We get a ton of content free and then have to pay for some stuff if we want certain pieces - pieces that don't impede gameplay.
    And we get expansions/modules every few months for free - but we have to pay for some stuff if we want certain pieces - pieces that don't impede gameplay.
    I see nothing to QQ about.

I agree that $60 is too high for the content of the Feywild Pack - Moon Elf and Unicorn isn't different enough from Sun Elf and Horse to entice me to spend $60. So... I'm not buying the Pack. No big deal.
    If PWE determines they aren't getting the desired revenue at the higher price point, they will very likely drop their prices.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That all sounds good, but the numbers in your last paragraph are just those you imagine, for the purpose of illustrating your point. They have access to the real data, and a fair amount of experience with cash shop models and how to manage them. There won't be changes along the lines you suggest until their sales indicate such a change is needed to maximize profitability.

It's all double-speak. The spew out publicity about how free everything is, when they are really only interested in the ones that pay. Politicians and salesmen do it all the time. Unfortunately, games are businesses first, and leisure tools second; it's all about how well the company balances the two. Move it too far one way and the game is non-profitable, move it too far the other way and people complain about having to pay on a free-to-play game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

You're right... I don't have access to those numbers. I would like to point one thing out, though. We're talking about a company that had a $200 pack. Obviously we all know how well that actually went in the numbers, because that pack is completely missing this time around.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    You're right... I don't have access to those numbers. I would like to point one thing out, though. We're talking about a company that had a $200 pack. Obviously we all know how well that actually went in the numbers, because that pack is completely missing this time around.

And it is still up for sale as we speak.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    I don't understand how any player determines "races that should already have been in the game."
    At one time it appears the developers mentioned that all races and classes produced would be available to everyone for no cost. I remember seeing something along those lines, but can't remember where, and many other posters say that they saw that deceleration as well. If this is so, if we do have to pay for some races and classes now, that would contrast with earlier statements that were part of the marketing of the game, which won't sit will with players for good reason. Later on today, I'm going to see if I can track down developer statements of that nature.

Many of the other complaints put forth are somewhat lacking in merit.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kimberix wrote: »
    It's all double-speak. The spew out publicity about how free everything is, when they are really only interested in the ones that pay. Politicians and salesmen do it all the time. Unfortunately, games are businesses first, and leisure tools second; it's all about how well the company balances the two. Move it too far one way and the game is non-profitable, move it too far the other way and people complain about having to pay on a free-to-play game.

Many things are free in the game. Some thing are not. If everything was free, there would be no game, as it is being operated by a for profit company. They require a continuous stream of profit to make offering the free bits worthwhile to them. Until a charity gets into the MMO business, that's always going to be how it is.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I don't know anything of the sort to be obvious. They still offer a $200 pack so far as I know. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they determined having only one $200 pack available to supplement the game in general is the more prudent way to go, while offering packs with a lesser cost that supplement the current module being released.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    And it is still up for sale as we speak.

Why would they take it down? It costs absolutely nothing to leave it up there on the off chance that someone would drop that much money into it. What I'm saying is that it was clearly not that successful because they aren't trying it again, with this pack, with Moon Elves and a Unicorn. Besides that, how many people do you see in game running around as a drow, or riding around on a giant spider? It's a pretty rare sight, at least on my server.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Why would they take it down? It costs absolutely nothing to leave it up there on the off chance that someone would drop that much money into it. What I'm saying is that it was clearly not that successful because they aren't trying it again, with this pack, with Moon Elves and a Unicorn. Besides that, how many people do you see in game running around as a drow, or riding around on a giant spider? It's a pretty rare sight, at least on my server.

What is clear is that you are prone to assumption, and the belief that your assumptions are equal to fact. You don't have access to the sales data of the HotN pack to make any kind of educated statement and as I pointed out there are other potential reasons they may feel offering another $200 pack is something they would prefer not to do.

I've seen plenty of Drow and spiders. Also, not everyone with a HotN pack likes Drows and spider mounts. There were other bits in the package as well. I don't have any Drow myself at this time, and very seldom use the spider mount, yet I still have the pack.

Assumption is not a valid replacement for knowledge.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    What is clear is that you are prone to assumption, and the belief that your assumptions are equal to fact. You don't have access to the sales data of the HotN pack to make any kind of educated statement and as I pointed out there are other potential reasons they may feel offering another $200 pack is something they would prefer not to do.

I've seen plenty of Drow and spiders. Also, not everyone with a HotN pack likes Drows and spider mounts. There were other bits in the package as well. I don't have any Drow myself at this time, and very seldom use the spider mount, yet I still have the pack.

Assumption is not a valid replacement for knowledge.

Well, I'm sorry for assuming that people aren't crazy enough to throw $200 at a few in-game items and not utilize everything it had to offer. I'm also sorry to assume that the people who did so would have preferred to spend less to get the specific pieces of a pack that they want rather than throwing away half of the value of what they just spent, and that PW would have realized that maybe $200 was a little too pricey for most to drop money on it. It was crazy of me to assume that people still had some common sense here. Next time, I will go poll the entire gaming community, email the devs to request for their sales records, and then formulate an entirely educated plan based off the knowledge that I gained from everything.

Or, I could just say screw it all, because in all honesty I don't care enough about the issue to go through all of that. You want to pay that much money, go right on ahead. I was just trying to offer a solution to the topic at hand that makes a compromise between both the company and the players, based off what I figured was common sense. I guess I'm the crazy one here.
  • Options
    sunstridersunstrider Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I for one, was looking for something new to play till a certain sci-fi based MMO gets released, and some friends talked me into Neverwinter. After remapping the key binds to my nostromo (cause not being able to mouse-move sucked and Im still not keen on no soft or hard targeting. Cant tell you how many times I've healed my wolf, trying to heal a party member.) I decided it wasnt too bad. My husband joined me and used to play DD years ago. He is not happy about having to pay $200 just to play a Drow and will not do it. I bought the Guardian pack,figuring it was about the same price as I would pay for other MMO's and called it good and it gave me a few benefits. The main one being not having to buy a mount at level 20, especially since there is no way your character even earns enough by then to buy one anyway (which is ridiculous). Ok, so now we have something to play for a few months or whatever as we are burnt out on our regular MMO's. Now there is an expansion already announced, yet another race and mount, but only if you pay for it? Seriously? What I want to know is what is going to be available to the ppl who DONT want to pay $60 every month for something new. I certainly can't afford it. Are we going to have to pay for new classes as well? Will the pay only races eventually be unlocked for those of us who have other bills to pay and can't continually throw money at a game? Especially at one with as little to offer as this one. Anyone know?
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I for one, was looking for something new to play till a certain sci-fi based MMO gets released, and some friends talked me into Neverwinter. After remapping the key binds to my nostromo (cause not being able to mouse-move sucked and Im still not keen on no soft or hard targeting. Cant tell you how many times I've healed my wolf, trying to heal a party member.) I decided it wasnt too bad. My husband joined me and used to play DD years ago. He is not happy about having to pay $200 just to play a Drow and will not do it. I bought the Guardian pack,figuring it was about the same price as I would pay for other MMO's and called it good and it gave me a few benefits. The main one being not having to buy a mount at level 20, especially since there is no way your character even earns enough by then to buy one anyway (which is ridiculous). Ok, so now we have something to play for a few months or whatever as we are burnt out on our regular MMO's. Now there is an expansion already announced, yet another race and mount, but only if you pay for it? Seriously? What I want to know is what is going to be available to the ppl who DONT want to pay $60 every month for something new. I certainly can't afford it. Are we going to have to pay for new classes as well? Will the pay only races eventually be unlocked for those of us who have other bills to pay and can't continually throw money at a game? Especially at one with as little to offer as this one. Anyone know?

The expansion itself is Free, The Sun Elf race is Free, and the Unicorn mount is a retextured horse that is of the same quality as is available in the Zen Store right now.

You dont need to pay any money to play the game and enjoy it.
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

It is futile to get an exact answer out of anyone here, even from me. After the game gone gold, the devs have been very careful in what they are trying to say, especially judging from the module 1 contents.

My only consolation to you is to enjoy the game for what it is, especially when you had purchased the Guardian pack. When the time comes where you have to spend money to even level up, then you have to weigh in whether it is still worthwhile to carry on, or give up.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well, I'm sorry for assuming

Good. You should be.
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Good. You should be.

Good, like you too, assuming that he/she is sorry for assuming :)

Hey, that is the fun part of word game lol
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    seraphnaseraphna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Prescribing solutions to already solved problems is very constructive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]