Install Arc
Options

A Unicorn? Really?!?

Comments

• Options
    alantiaalantia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    *sigh* If I decide to buy that pack, then I'll be forced to buy lots of pink and white dyes and create an Elven Great Weapon Princess character to own that thing.

Why can't we get the choice of a fully decked out warhorse that doubles as a battle companion? Like He-Man's Battle Cat, who doubles as a companion who...

nevermind...

Actually... how does everyone else feel about unicorns?

I like unicorns, of course I suppose if you are a 14 yr old male man/child just getting an influx of-testosterone it might be threatening to ride a unicorn. I don't see a problem here, since I'm sure this isn't the last mount that will be added.
    It is what it is:cool:
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Quite serious. Oh...you think 4e is REAL dnd?

That <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is DnD for WoW kiddies.

Very insightful. Though I've spent most of my D&D sessions in 2E, I still prefer the first edition whenever I can find a group that remembers the rules.
    This is just a hunch, but it might've been a little before your time (there ARE more than just 3.5 and 4 out there, you know...)
  • Options
    paladmethiuspaladmethius Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited July 2013
    Very insightful. Though I've spent most of my D&D sessions in 2E, I still prefer the first edition whenever I can find a group that remembers the rules.
    This is just a hunch, but it might've been a little before your time (there ARE more than just 3.5 and 4 out there, you know...)

Yeah I know. But the older versions "with elf and dwarf as classes" is not really DnD either, its simply dungeon crawling. A real living world with rules outside of fight and go forward is what is really the life blood of DnD.
    This forum set up is absolutely horrible, I cant even figure out how to get my knight of the feywild title.
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah I know. But the older versions "with elf and dwarf as classes" is not really DnD either, its simply dungeon crawling. A real living world with rules outside of fight and go forward is what is really the life blood of DnD.

AD&D 2nd Edition Dwarf/Elf were races not classes..

In your opinion 3.5 was the best while for me AD&D 2nd Edition was the pinnacle and since then its all gone downhill, don't get me wrong 3.5 wasn't truly awful but this 4th Edition is just plain wrong and holds nothing even close the D&D I remember.
  • Options
    paladmethiuspaladmethius Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited July 2013

In your opinion 3.5 was the best while for me AD&D 2nd Edition was the pinnacle and since then its all gone downhill, don't get me wrong 3.5 wasn't truly awful but this 4th Edition is just plain wrong and holds nothing even close the D&D I remember.

in my opinion 3.5 was where they had cut the bulkyness of 2nd edition while keeping a semblance to actual dungeons and dragons, and 4E was basically someone took world of warcraft the board game and slapped dungeons and dragons on it. But enough edition wars, we are talking about how 15 year old kids are threatened by horses with two phallic protrusions instead of just 1, and how in the grim darkness of neverwinter MMO, no room exists for good, especially not anything for good to ride on. Now please excuse me, as hero of neverwinter and protector of the living I got to get astride this demon hell horse that is known to steal the souls of unfit riders to get my bottom to the bazaar so I can buy roses for the gnome orphans I saved using my hellish fire demon companion and my half demon wizard.
    This forum set up is absolutely horrible, I cant even figure out how to get my knight of the feywild title.
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As long as they limit Unicorns only to Female Elf, Half-Elf and Human Characters, and make them only available after a certain point. I can accept this.

What I want to see is a Elk or Moose Mount!
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Ugh dont bring up 2e. NO THAC0...dont touch me there.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Unicorn is ok, goes with the elf theme.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ugh dont bring up 2e. NO THAC0...dont touch me there.

lol.. I never have understood peoples aversion to THACO, its really not that hard or bad..
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    lol.. I never have understood peoples aversion to THACO, its really not that hard or bad..

I had many many bad experiences with it, thus my aversion.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I had many many bad experiences with it, thus my aversion.

Noted and accepted;)

........Still not that bad tho....well compared to this anyways..
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Noted and accepted;)

........Still not that bad tho....well compared to this anyways..

Ugh, I agree I will take THAC0 over 4e any day of the week. But my preferred is the Pathfinder change to 3.5
  • Options
    nasafurenasafure Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    At first I didn't believe in women and unicorns, but that was before I knew about the power of chick stuff, and before I knew Vageena Hertz.
    Parting is all we know of heaven, And all we need of hell.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Let us see it this way they have pandas, we have unicorns:p
    Anyway for those that don't know anything about lore (except tv toons): The unicorn was a savage beast able to kill three elephants at once, his horn could protect you from any magic and venom and only a maid could tame him
    http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast140.htm

Mirabilis-YearofWonders_Unicorn-%26-dinosaur.jpg
  • Options
    zjesminzzjesminz Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'd love to ride a unicorn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013

One of the sources of the initial aversion to THAC0 was that it didn't perfectly model the combat charts of 1st Ed., where in some instances the same number was needed to hit over a range of AC. The calculation method of THAC0 did not allow that. Due to that, THAC0 had the potential to produce some comparatively wacky results to those of the combat charts.
  • Options
    zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Butt-Kicking, for goodness!

Fall on your sword while you still can, Evil!
  • Options
    elkysiumelkysium Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    timmbeer wrote: »
    A dragon mount is a breath of fresh air from all the horsies, but I believe it has to be a wingless version.

Maybe, just maybe, flying will be available in the future? Dragons will be available then!!! Woopie!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait...

there is such a thing call "pegasus", aka remake of a horse...

lol. Don't give them any ideas! :p

And actually if you have played Forsaken World before, they have the type of dragon mount i am referring to. It doesn't actually fly. When you jump from a high area, instead of falling and taking damage, the dragon slowly glides down to the ground on its wings.
    Dragon Shard:
    Dorlin: Level 65 GF/2nd Account: Calias/62
    Elkysium: Level 65 CW/2nd Account: Krystalyn/62
    Artemis: Level 65 TR/2nd Account: Fayne/62
    Zantoth: Level 65 DC/2nd Account: Nemea/62
    Kryndar: Level 65 HR/2nd Account: Lilith/62
    Goreb: Level 65 GWF/2nd Account: Tysha/62
    Bamidor: Level 65 OP/2nd Account: Valindra/62
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    elkysium wrote: »
    lol. Don't give them any ideas! :p

And actually if you have played Forsaken World before, they have the type of dragon mount i am referring to. It doesn't actually fly. When you jump from a high area, instead of falling and taking damage, the dragon slowly glides down to the ground on its wings.

That will be great if it is really implemented in neverwinter.

I still want a unicorn with lipstick, endorsed by Sune and Covergirl

eating-unicorn.jpg
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Same for me AD&D 2E was what I grew up playing as well, and enjoyed it a lot. My Favorite campaign setting was Ravenloft.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    bpskibbenheimsbpskibbenheims Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I am going to get a unicorn and my halfling will be dressed in pinks and blues and whites and when I go sailing I will have the biggest flag in the seven seas!
    "Confusion is the T-Rex of tire faucets."
    -Sir Bartholomew P. Skibbenheims III, Esquire, Twice Removed

steam.php?id=BPSkibbenheims&pngimg=http:%@^%@^www.backfiregaming.net%@^bartswap%@^bartsig.png&tborder=1
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    4E was basically someone took world of warcraft the board game and slapped dungeons and dragons on it.
    Actually, there was a WoW tabletop RPG. It was for 3.5.
    Anti-4e players always use the WoW comparison, but never actually explain HOW 4e is like WoW. Is it the powers? I don't see the comparison.
    Don't get me wrong - I love 3.5 & Pathfinder. But I like each edition for different reasons, and 4e has gotten us a lot of new D&D players who wouldn't have tried it under the more convoluted, bulky & maths-heavy rules of older editions.
    If you don't like a new edition, fine. It just seems childish & petty to make claims that amount to "4e = WoW, it sucks & my edition rulez." It makes it sound like you don't actually know anything about the new system. Personally, I've noticed a lot of similarities between anti-4e complaints from 3.x players, and anti-3e complaints from 2e players (and so on). Me? I like more RP & less rules-lawyering, so any system that increases play time & decreases time spent looking up rules is okay by me.
    But enough edition wars, we are talking about how 15 year old kids are threatened by horses with two phallic protrusions instead of just 1, and how in the grim darkness of neverwinter MMO, no room exists for good, especially not anything for good to ride on. Now please excuse me, as hero of neverwinter and protector of the living I got to get astride this demon hell horse that is known to steal the souls of unfit riders to get my bottom to the bazaar so I can buy roses for the gnome orphans I saved using my hellish fire demon companion and my half demon wizard.
    Totally agreed. The only reasons I can think of for saying unicorns are only for pretty pink princesses are: 1)insecurity about one's masculinity, or 2) being too young/immature to not put things in terms of "boy stuff" and "girl stuff."
    For the record, my tabletop Paladin of Mielikki (a manly-man played by not-a-man) in 3.5 rode a unicorn. It decimated undead.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    We can see all the bronnies here :)
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wait, I thought you had to be a maiden to ride a unicorn. That is to say a virgin... this is likely many of the players here, but the way some are named and the way they act and dress, would make me think otherwise.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Same for me AD&D 2E was what I grew up playing as well, and enjoyed it a lot. My Favorite campaign setting was Ravenloft.

Yeah Ravenloft was pretty cool, I only played one campaign there before the DM gave up on it though, but used it a lot in pop ups in my games.
    Spent most of my time as a player in either The Realms or my favourite Dark Sun...
  • Options
    atroxcanisatroxcanis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    greymasque wrote: »
    Totally agreed. The only reasons I can think of for saying unicorns are only for pretty pink princesses are: 1)insecurity about one's masculinity, or 2) being too young/immature to not put things in terms of "boy stuff" and "girl stuff."
    For the record, my tabletop Paladin of Mielikki (a manly-man played by not-a-man) in 3.5 rode a unicorn. It decimated undead.

How about I just don't like them. I don't suffer from any of the issues you describe. I don't like basketball either. I much prefer rugby or soccer. Does that mean I'm afraid of all those big 'ol scary tall basketball players? No. Try being more open minded and less intolerant. Stop making fun of people that are different.

BTW, a quick scan of the posts where people say they don't care for unicorns rarely indicates they think they are only for pretty pink princesses. Not sure what that says about everyone else that thinks that when we say no to unicorns it must mean we have manhood issues but, meh.
    Yes, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    azlanfox wrote: »
    Wait, I thought you had to be a maiden to ride a unicorn. That is to say a virgin... this is likely many of the players here, but the way some are named and the way they act and dress, would make me think otherwise.
    really the tales were gritter . The virgin would not ride the unicorn but soothe him.Then he would fall asleep on her knees...at that point the hunters that were hiding in ambush would come out and kill or capture the unicorn. It is unknown how much the virgin was paid for her services (30 gold pieces?)
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    atroxcanis wrote: »
    How about I just don't like them. I don't suffer from any of the issues you describe. I don't like basketball either. I much prefer rugby or soccer. Does that mean I'm afraid of all those big 'ol scary tall basketball players? No. Try being more open minded and less intolerant. Stop making fun of people that are different.
    I'm fairly sure that Greymasque didn't say anything about people who simply didn't like them. He was specifically addressing those who said that unicorns are only for pretty pink princesses and similar comments.

If you didn't say anything along those lines, there is no reason at all why you should feel that those comments have anything to do with you.

While making fun of people for what they are is generally a no-no, making fun of people for what they say is generally accepted.
  • Options
    dridiadridia Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As long as we don't get Pandas!

Panda Rangers at the end of the year...:p
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    atroxcanis wrote: »

BTW, a quick scan of the posts where people say they don't care for unicorns rarely indicates they think they are only for pretty pink princesses. Not sure what that says about everyone else that thinks that when we say no to unicorns it must mean we have manhood issues but, meh.

Well... too many times from watching videos I've seen unicorns. They are most often heavily armored in White and Pink plate, and are friends and battle companions of Elven Princesses wearing frilly Pink and White Courtesan Dresses(or Black and White for the Gothic types) and wielding extremely large Great Swords! So when the word Unicorn is mentioned the first thought that comes to mind is that... or some giant planet eating robot that transforms into a planet.

Maybe one day we'll get a mount that transforms into a battle companion. Like He-Man's Battle Cat, who transforms into...

um... maybe we don't want a companion like that. :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*