Install Arc
Options

A Unicorn? Really?!?

Comments

• Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    timmbeer wrote: »
    Why should I? It is not my problem to think of one for Cryptic. I am only here to just say "I still think unicorns are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO uncreative, and I am sure Neverwinter can do better than that!" and play Neverwinter like a customer, just with a bit more than common sense.

Or you wish to lose this time, hun?
    Well, that's pretty much the same old story, isn't it. It's easy to be critical, but not so easy, or can't be bothered, to post anything constructive.
  • Options
    silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    i will buy a new mount when they release a rank 4 mount 120% speed (any will do a dragon one will be best)
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • Options
    borgued3borgued3 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 150 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    although people make unicorns to be girly (they do have a point) on d&d they are quite the thing, they teleport, heal, fight, pretty beasty.
  • Options
    elkysiumelkysium Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i will buy a new mount when they release a rank 4 mount 120% speed (any will do a dragon one will be best)

I want a dragon mount myself. And when you jump off high areas it would 'fly' to the ground!
    Dragon Shard:
    Dorlin: Level 65 GF/2nd Account: Calias/62
    Elkysium: Level 65 CW/2nd Account: Krystalyn/62
    Artemis: Level 65 TR/2nd Account: Fayne/62
    Zantoth: Level 65 DC/2nd Account: Nemea/62
    Kryndar: Level 65 HR/2nd Account: Lilith/62
    Goreb: Level 65 GWF/2nd Account: Tysha/62
    Bamidor: Level 65 OP/2nd Account: Valindra/62
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Well, that's pretty much the same old story, isn't it. It's easy to be critical, but not so easy, or can't be bothered, to post anything constructive. That's alright though, it's pretty much on par with most forum complainers.

Really darling, join the complainers and vote from their money, or be constructive (like you?) and still lose as complainers vote from their money.

You want some constructive ideas? How about unicorns putting on lipstick?
    eating-unicorn.jpg
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    borgued3 wrote: »
    although people make unicorns to be girly (they do have a point) on d&d they are quite the thing, they teleport, heal, fight, pretty beasty.

And put on lipstick (see pic above)
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Really darling, join the complainers and vote from their money, or be constructive (like you?) and still lose as complainers vote from their money.

You want some constructive ideas? How about unicorns putting on lipstick?

It would be fairly original as MMO mounts go. The suggestion is a bit short on the constructive end of things, as it would be unlikely to be implemented.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    elkysium wrote: »
    I want a dragon mount myself. And when you jump off high areas it would 'fly' to the ground!

A dragon mount is a breath of fresh air from all the horsies, but I believe it has to be a wingless version.

Maybe, just maybe, flying will be available in the future? Dragons will be available then!!! Woopie!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait...

there is such a thing call "pegasus", aka remake of a horse...
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It would be fairly original as MMO mounts go. The suggestion is a bit short on the constructive end of things, as it would be unlikely to be implemented.

Who said about being implemented? Not me. You?
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    A dragon mount is a breath of fresh air from all the horsies, but I believe it has to be a wingless version.

Maybe, just maybe, flying will be available in the future? Dragons will be available then!!! Woopie!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait...

there is such a thing call "pegasus", aka remake of a horse...

From what I can tell, the environments are pretty railed and locked in, so I don't think a flying mount of any kind will be possible. I suppose some sort of riding lizard or wingless dragon would work if such exists in the FR setting. If there are any bipedal reptilian mounts, patterned after a velociraptor or similar, in the FR setting, that might be something appealing to some.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Who said about being implemented? Not me. You?

For suggestions for an MMO to be useful, as in possible to implement, they must be constructive and feasible. Suggestions that can't be implemented, or don't at least have the ability to inspire something that can, are not constructive, useful, or substantive.

Although possibly entertaining, they are pretty much dross so far as the game itself goes.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    From what I can tell, the environments are pretty railed and locked in, so I don't think a flying mount of any kind will be possible. I suppose some sort of riding lizard or wingless dragon would work if such exists in the FR setting. If there are any bipedal reptilian mounts, patterned after a velociraptor or similar, in the FR setting, that might be something appealing to some.

The thing is to think bigger. As said, Neverwinter can do better. If Cryptic is willing to go further, they can have flying mounts under certain conditions. Nothing is impossible if Cryptic/Neverwinter is willing and able to push the boundaries. So now it is just unicorns... with lipstick...
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    amordreadamordread Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Drows ride lizards in the Underdark so it's possible. There are lot's of dinosaur kind of monsters in Dnd and FR but never heard one driving them. Griffon and flying bats are common.

Black unicorn would be a nice option for people who find unicorn girly ; Black_Unicorn.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The thing is to think bigger. As said, Neverwinter can do better. If Cryptic is willing to go further, they can have flying mounts under certain conditions. Nothing is impossible if Cryptic/Neverwinter is willing and able to push the boundaries. So now it is just unicorns... with lipstick...
    The thing is... to think bigger... is a statement with virtually no meaning, as is the statement.... Neverwinter can do better.

Think bigger how? Do better how? Push which boundaries and how? Substance.

Unless I am mistaken, and the current environments aren't basically on rails, they can't wave a magic wand and bring environments suited to flying mounts suddenly into existence. They would have to remake every environment, doing a whole bunch of work of which I don't know the details that will cost time and thus money. That isn't going to happen, at least with the environments in place. I don't think it will happen in the near future either, with them likely concentrating on developing the environments along the line they have already so they can get the content out faster.

So it's not as easy as quipping out such things as... think bigger.... do better... push the boundaries... nothing is impossible...

It doesn't work like a half-time football pep talk nor does it work like a motivational poster.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    amordread wrote: »
    Drows ride lizards in the Underdark so it's possible. There are lot's of dinosaur kind of monsters in Dnd and FR but never heard one driving them. Griffon and flying bats are common.

Black unicorn would be a nice option for people who find unicorn girly ; Black_Unicorn.jpg

That's a War Unicorn?!?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    amordreadamordread Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In 3rd edition Forgotten Realms Monsters Manual it's black unicorn. But it might be dark unicorn in 4th edition I'm not sure.

"Black unicorns are fiendish versions of their good unicorn brethren, magically created by the Red Wizards of Thay. They have become prominent in the armies of Thay, serving as elite calvary.
    Black unicorns will only allow human or drow females of a evil alignment to ride them. It is believed they particularly enjoy serving Blackguards."
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    O.K., Cryptic?
    You want to make some scratch on a Travel Power?
    Port the Shadow Skull Flight power from Champs.
    Just limit its' "Flight" to a couple of inches off the ground.
    Seriously I can't see many players NOT wanting something like that, especially assorted Wizards and wannabee Necromancers.
    Here's a video one of the players posted a while back:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHmQ1ScXVw

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    solwrathsolwrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 79
    edited July 2013
    Well seeing as the most popular D&D character ever rides one I think it is kinda fitting.. And he aint no wimp.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    O.K., Cryptic?
    Seriously I can't see many players NOT wanting something like that, especially assorted Wizards and wannabee Necromancers.

They could probably port over a few of the travel powers, with flight based ones switched over in the way you describe, and with speeds altered to match the various ranks of mounts. It would probably be fairly cheap and easy to do so. Some of the transforming ones, like the bat swarm, or perhaps changing form to one of the bird models in Neverwinter already, could also be offered as a travel power that might fit some concepts.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    O.K., Cryptic?

Nice! The skull could be implemented as a mount, dunno how the rider will ride it though lol. If the star from CO can bring over to here, maybe this skull too!

Btw, your clown avatar is scary.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They could probably port over a few of the travel powers, with flight based ones switched over in the way you describe, and with speeds altered to match the various ranks of mounts. It would probably be fairly cheap and easy to do so. Some of the transforming ones, like the bat swarm, or perhaps changing form to one of the bird models in Neverwinter already, could also be offered as a travel power that might fit some concepts.

That could actually solve the "Dragon Mount" problem. It only "flys" at the hight of the top of an ordinary mount.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That could actually solve the "Dragon Mount" problem. It only "flys" at the hight of the top of an ordinary mount.

They could do that, but it would sort of make the dragon majestic lite. I'd have to pass, personally.
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Land-shark mount with saw blade fins & laser beam eyes.

That's what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    korpakukac1korpakukac1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wanna ride Nyan-cat! Possible? o.O
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hehe.. lovely. My light hearted thread poking fun at Unicorns becomes a light/darkhearted thread poking fun at mounts in general. :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My favorite DDM build featured a Unicorn.

I called the build 'my little pwnie', because it seriously would own face.

TSR96625-22_500.jpeg

Card_AF22_Unicorn.jpg
  • Options
    paladmethiuspaladmethius Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited July 2013
    "Unicorns are girly!"

This game is clearly populated by 15 year old tryhard epic 4 da win types who have never played a single game of dungeons and dragons.

Unicorns are pretty awesome in the tabletop games (well according to REAL dnd, which is 3.5) if you get to ride a unicorn, you have gotten the favor of some god, you are a known champion of the forest, and you have done some pretty heroic <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Unicorns are intelligent, can heal, can SMITE EVIL, and are very, very, very fast. The most BA of unicorns is the celestial charger, a unicorn with a golden horn, that wears heavy armor and can trample evil to death in a smite/trample attack that basically just grinds them into dust. This is a paladins ultimate mount (aside from a silver or gold young dragon, and then its more a companion them mount) A fearless *** kicker of justice and good, that can bless and heal you at will, and will not take <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or run from the most evil of demons or villains.

Now I will let you get back to your AWESOME UNDEAD FLOATING SKULLZ XD SO KEWL and your SUPER KEWL NIGHTMARE FLAMING HORSE DEMON LORD DOOD circle jerk.

I will be styling on my golden armored unicorn and smiting your ***.
    This forum set up is absolutely horrible, I cant even figure out how to get my knight of the feywild title.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It will appeal to some, and not to others....like everything else in the entire world.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    (well according to REAL dnd, which is 3.5)

I just got soda all over my keyboard from laughing out my nose.
    Or were you serious?
  • Options
    paladmethiuspaladmethius Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited July 2013
    I just got soda all over my keyboard from laughing out my nose.
    Or were you serious?

Quite serious. Oh...you think 4e is REAL dnd?

That <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is DnD for WoW kiddies.
    This forum set up is absolutely horrible, I cant even figure out how to get my knight of the feywild title.