Install Arc
Options

Exploits . . . .

Comments

• Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I've said many times i was kicking exploiters from dungeon parties. It's not a scoop. I even leave groups (after the first boss, of course) when i'm not party leader and when they try to force me to cheat. Without a good healer, they are kind of trapped and have to leave anyway. I feel no shame though. Why should i? They can make their own private cheating parties. Public groups aren't a place for that.

Kicking people from a group at the chest so they can't profit from exploiting and then looting it yourself seems...I dunno...insanely hypocritical. Or something.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Your goal is to kill the big bad boss at the end of the dungeon, not to search all corners for something you will never find.

Am I bored with the game? A bit, but I will stay until I have finished building up my characters to max level. And for that I need AD.

Your goal may be to kill the boss. My goal is to be entertained.
    Killing mobs is a core gameplay element of Neverwinter.

One week ago, I downloaded Rift, created a mage character, and stopped playing at level 10.
    To me, Rift is very boring. Gameplay is boring. Lore is uninteresting.
    Less/More mobs, less/more rewards will not make me want to play Rift again.
    Letting players arrive at the boss sooner, by reducing mobs, will not make Neverwinter more fun to play.
    New, interesting, challenging dungeons and monsters and game mechanics will.
    Many comments in this thread are made by players who farm dungeons and are experiencing boredom.
    Less mobs will not alleviate this boredom, but it will be easier to farm.
  • Options
    keldinnlkeldinnl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited July 2013
    Simple solution is to add a possible extra drop on a boss based on the number of trash mobs killed. Kill all trash 100% chance for extra item. Kill half of the trash, 50% skip all trash, no extra item.
  • Options
    nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    More content would alleviate the boredom yes, but unless NW is your first Cryptic mmo, you should be used to it already.

Frankly though, so long as we are playing static PvE instances where all the spawns are the same each time, finding the most efficient path through them to the end is just going to be a natural consequence of a largely unchanging experience. That's why I feel that their approach towards discouraging exploiting should involve more incentives and less punishment, so that exploiting actually results in a disproportionately harder challenge than simply going through the instances as the developers originally intended.

Though I should point out, there is precedent for making instances shorter - STO's PvE "special task forces" used to involve a combination of ground and space combat, but a couple major updates later they had split the two. They could do the same thing here - have dungeons involving little more than a sequence of boss fights leading up to an end boss, for the people interested simply in farming bosses for loot, as well as the more traditional dungeon crawls with loads of mobs for whoever actually enjoys full dungeon crawls. Though you might end up with nearly everyone queuing up for the boss gauntlets and hardly anyone for a full dungeon crawl, just as it's **** near impossible to cajole anyone into playing ground PvE in STO.

Actually, here's a far simpler and elegant solution: add more variety to trash mob loot drops, so that people have a good reason for grinding them down as opposed to tossing them off ledges or just skipping them altogether.
  • Options
    ergophobianergophobian Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Yes and no, anyone who works with software will tell you that end users are far more resourceful when it comes to breaking software than any tester.

A common comment I heard in college whilst learning programming was that you can spend half a year testing and fixing the bugs that come up in testing, only for twice as many more to show up when you release it to the public.

I agree 100%, having spent 12 years out of the last 30 developing games myself.
    However, people have been reporting these exploits for months, and the content, and layout of every zone and dungeon is nothing more than narrow corridors that are very easy to put walls on.

The first time I entered Fardelver a few weeks back, I zoned in at the boss, as I had joined a group that was already there. I was a bit surprised, and wondered if it was just a non-trash instance. A couple days later I joined a group that started from the beginning. They started running and wall hopping, and I realized what was up so I followed along. In that 2 minute run however, it was very easy to see where you could prevent it from happening.
  • Options
    johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i posted the same thread before they closed it.

im glad that they didnt close this thread, its good to let the public know
  • Options
    kinglekingle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    d3l337 wrote: »
    Exploits are because of bad coding and lack of testing. It is like developers disrespect players. People do things because they can. This is like players disrespect developers. What you give you shall receive.

You have no clue what an exploit is, let me educate you, exploits meaning twisting or abusing the system in a way it was not created to do. No one would really think that players would use the camp fires to jump to the next boss quicker thus it was exploited use for more than what it was intended to. The methods people use are very very creative that is to how far they want to collect it. The best suggestion i hear is let the Mobs that you don't kill spawn and come attack you while your fighting boss and up there power level so you get Murdered.
  • Options
    dd93dd93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    When i pug with my cleric, i'm often team leader, so i feel free to kick people willing to exploit. I do this very often in Fardelver's crypt. Since i'm party leader, i tell them it's my run and my rules, and if they get rude, they get a kick too. I've stopped having too much respect for people not having respect for others. Forcing someone to cheat for selfish purposes isn't a proof of respect. Thus, i happily kick people and do not even care about it anymore. And when i'm not team leader, i just quit, even if it means "ruining" their chest. Fair enough, they ruined my fun. I really like the social aspect of this game, and i don't really like having to behave like this to enjoy the game mechanics, but it is what it is, fixes are coming but it's always small fixes that don't fix anything, because players just switch to another method.

It's amazing to see how people can treat others like <my eyes!> to save a few real life copper coins - because loots are sold for the RL currency on the AH.

I wish there was more people like you, all i see these days(On dragon shard) when people want a certain dungeon, it's "LF bla bla for fast shorcut run of bla bla" and they say at the end, only those who know it please. I would queue up for the certain dungeons but after being in the queue for 3 hours straight the other day, no luck. Plus with randoms there is always the chance of them saying "Hey, lets do this shorcut/exploit i found" and they are probably leader, so it sucks, i love this game, but the exploits and bugs are slowly pushing me away.
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will copy paste the same post i've made about this recurrent topic in a previous post:

Again the same post, give mobs decent random drops (blue/purple resources,enchants,runes at 1/100 1/1000 ratio) and suddenly people will kill mobs with pleasure, 1 t2 dungeon has roughly 1k mobs, so 1 random extra purple drop from mobs wont affect the market, and people will even try to avoid throwing some out ledges...

Also, make bosses drop unique items too at 1/100 ratio, for example, Karrundax can drop a wyrmling mount 1/100, that would turn people crazy for doing the dungeon even out of Delves... Pirate king can drop a Parrot augment companion, Spider queen a lolth priestess fashion costume... etc... all at 1/100 ratio... that will extend the game playability 3x, increase the sales for millions of $...

In fact, extend it further, the purple enchants could be 1/1000 Rank 7, 1/10000 Rank 8, 1/100000 Rank 9, 1/1000000 Rank 10... ok, you only have 1 chance between 1 million of hitting the lottery... but that simple change would probably DOUBLE the profit from PWI...

That was my post, the first and last paragraphs are the easiest and best solution, will make the game a lot more fun, a lot more durable and will stimulate economy, making the devs happy too because it will increase revenue, the 2nd one is trickier...but also not hard to implement, that kind of reward would turn the whole playerbase crazy playing dungeons 24/7 and earning MILLIONS for the company, a perfect, elegant solution, nobody will skip content if they have the chance to a 10m drop, even if the chance is less than the odds in lottery, nobody will wait till delves if they have a chance to get a super rare unique item drop from bosses, even if it takes 500 runs on average to archieve it... is the nature of the players, of human beings... give them proper incentives and they will play properly.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As with above poster - give the players a chance at rare loot and you'll reap the benefits of playing the percentage game.

I spent hours hunting the time-lost protodrake in WoW at a time when I would normally have been flying above Dalaran watching chat lines spew off the page.

In EQ the camps were legendary; Journeyman boots, Illusions masks, Pegasus cloak, quest items - they all kept players in the game as they felt like they had a chance for their mob to spawn / drop the loot. It's similar to the lottery - give the player a feeling that they could win and they will often keep playing.

The problem with NW is that the owners have decided that rare / unique loot should only appear via the Zen store - so they automatically cut out their players that won't spend. Furthermore, the ones that will spend simply buy the item in seconds so there is absolutely no compulsion (in game) to work for, or earn, something.

Surely it could be seen that putting rare / unique loot in the game but on rare / random mobs that it will keep the players hunting for longer - it also ensures that players will keep going back to places that they would normally leave behind if the chance of rare items still applies. They may not get the monetary value from those players but they may just get them to hang around longer and keep the game going for those that do pay.
  • Options
    daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2013
    kimberix wrote: »
    Pegasus cloak

Not to mention, being a mage and needing that item for my Epic and having others farm it for Levi on their 2nd, 3rd, ...9th alts!

Grrrrrrrrr!

Hate to say it, but if EQ1 went f2p I would spend money there whereas this game is starting to get the reputation as the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that can not be polished.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not to mention, being a mage and needing that item for my Epic and having others farm it for Levi on their 2nd, 3rd, ...9th alts!

Grrrrrrrrr!

Hate to say it, but if EQ1 went f2p I would spend money there whereas this game is starting to get the reputation as the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that can not be polished.

heh, I had a druid so I could track it when it was up. I must have killed it half a dozen times by the time I left EQ - I have a CD full of screenshots of all my rare kills.

I also had a wood-elf rogue who I retired in her home town of Kelethin with a nice collection of daggers and illusion masks that I'd soloe'd from rare mobs. She is the ONLY character that I have ever played in an MMORPG where I felt I took her on a real journey of adventure and retired gracefully.
  • Options
    tharsoniusvbtharsoniusvb Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2013
    By far the worst part about this game for me are the exploits. Yes, NW has a limited endgame content, is maybe a bit to linear and has some other issues, but when it comes to dungeon exploits, it's close to a game braker. It's so easy and common to cheat, that it is outside of a guild nearly impossible to do certain dungeons without some cheaters in the the group.
    And even when i get so lucky to find a group without cheaters or run with the guild, the fact that in some dungeons 90% seem to be cheat runs, cheapens my gaming expierience. People don't seem to realise that in an MMO you don't play in a vacuum. When you cheat your way to a dungeon 3 or 4 times in the DD, you get 3 or 4 times the reward that i get for my 1 normal run. You raise the bar for gear, because I as the honest fool can't compete with your cheated gearscore. Suddenlya GS of 13k becomes the new gold standard. No problem to achieve that in a week of cheating, not so easy without. On top, cheaters flood the market with Items. It may take me a week or longer to find the T2-armour i want, while others sold 10 of them in the same time. It devalues it, not only in a monetary sense but also in the sense of achievement that comes with it.
    And btw. I am not talking about kicking mobs of ledges or sneaking past the enemy. I am talking about real exploits. And we all know the difference. And I am also not only blaming the exploiters (in a way i can understand it when it is so rewarding), mostly i blame the devs, that don't fix it. It should be priority no. 1. Anyway, it sucks and i hope to see some changes soon, until then, i keep on being the honest fool.
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Easy solution to bypassing mobs... When you get to the final Boss, everything you have not eliminated prior, comes to his defense, quickly.

A couple of mega Mobs or under bosses, and henchlings added to a already difficult final Boss, will reward the exploiters exactly as they need to be. with Death. :-D
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited July 2013
    Trash is boring and there's way to much of it. Even in Fardelvers, short as it is. I'd rather fight 3 bosses that are gated than packs of trash. Even if the boss mechanics are considered "simple". Either that or give trash some value, like a buff that increases with the number of things the group kills.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dozens of us have been reporting the same exploit for over two months now. We've submitted videos and screenshots of said exploit. And a community mod is in this thread promising us that they get around to removing exploits ASAP?! Yeah, right. Go eff yourself, community mods, and devs too. Eff yourself hard. You deserve it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Dozens of us have been reporting the same exploit for over two months now. We've submitted videos and screenshots of said exploit. And a community mod is in this thread promising us that they get around to removing exploits ASAP?! Yeah, right. Go eff yourself, community mods, and devs too. Eff yourself hard. You deserve it.

Such class and dignity. Bugs and Exploits must be really easy to fix in the games you have developed.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Such class and dignity. Bugs and Exploits must be really easy to fix in the games you have developed.

It's as simple to fix as banning one user, and removing their numerous duplicates from the Foundry. It's not like they'd have to spend one minute coding, programming, or anything else more complicated than clicking a button or two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    infernal667infernal667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    I will copy paste the same post i've made about this recurrent topic in a previous post:

Again the same post, give mobs decent random drops (blue/purple resources,enchants,runes at 1/100 1/1000 ratio) and suddenly people will kill mobs with pleasure, 1 t2 dungeon has roughly 1k mobs, so 1 random extra purple drop from mobs wont affect the market, and people will even try to avoid throwing some out ledges...

A DD run results in 8 purples (3x boss + 5x chest).
    Your solution is an extra purple for double the time? Thats 9 purples when the group could get 16 in the same time with 2 fast runs. Not helping.

I like the idea though that killing mobs will result in an extra purple drop from the boss. I play a CW and we get through spider very fast due to massive dropping of adds over cliffs. Thats an automatic extra purple :D
  • Options
    infernal667infernal667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I am pretty sure that they are trying to stretch the exploit fixing for as long as possible. Hardly anyone stops playing because of exploits but a lot of players would definitly leave if they were forced to face those adds.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I am pretty sure that they are trying to stretch the exploit fixing for as long as possible. Hardly anyone stops playing because of exploits but a lot of players would definitly leave if they were forced to face those adds.

I think you are wrong. Many have already left because of the exploits, and more are on the fence. Personally, I think players who will spend and stay over the long haul are those who dislike the exploits.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    I think you are wrong. Many have already left because of the exploits, and more are on the fence. Personally, I think players who will spend and stay over the long haul are those who dislike the exploits.

Absolutely correct.
    Exploits are bad for business, plain and simple.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    IMO, fixing the exploits is only part of the issue.

Making dungeons less tedious and/or making adds more rewarding, would also encourage people to play dungeons the legit way.

Here's an idea - what if there was a chest at the end that gave rewards commensurate with the % of normal enemies slain, (topping off at around 85-90% of the total map population)? This might encourage people to run more dungeons when delves aren't running.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    IMO, fixing the exploits is only part of the issue.

Making dungeons less tedious and/or making adds more rewarding, would also encourage people to play dungeons the legit way.

Here's an idea - what if there was a chest at the end that gave rewards commensurate with the % of normal enemies slain, (topping off at around 85-90% of the total map population)? This might encourage people to run more dungeons when delves aren't running.

I can just imagine all the screaming about pushing mobs off ledges and all the moaning about aoe groups.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Perhaps the best solution might involve properly incentivising killing the mobs so that players don't feel encouraged to skip them?

I agree with this.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    What? Like developers don't ALREADY know things pointed out in this thread?

Hello folks?!?!...Mods included....they know....now shut up and drink this Kool-Aid.
  • Options
    hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    allaerra wrote: »

Asking players to chose between only 6 dungeons months on end and not take shortcuts through terrain or by some other means is just stupid. People play this game because it is not an Asian grindfest type game, but with little content and slow development on the Devs part means players are stuck repeating it over and over. Inevitably they concede to skipping monotonous buttonspamming over time no matter how 'purist' they claim to be.

Play how you want, have fun and dont cry about what other people are doing if it doesnt impact your gameplay.
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Remember, please do not discuss the details of exploits publicly.

To me the question becomes: are they skipping content because they just want the end rewards? Or because they don't feel the standard mobs are worthwhile?

Perhaps the best solution might involve properly incentivising killing the mobs so that players don't feel encouraged to skip them?

That really is a secondary problem, though, compared to the shortcuts. I can promise you the shortcuts which get reported get resolved as soon as the team can get to them, but players seem determined to skip content so once one hole is patched another one is found but things are improving with time! :D

Moderator's Notice: Any shortcuts that you guys know about must be reported privately. Do not post them on the forums!

If this occurs even one time this thread will be closed.

players couldn't skip content like they do if they have to get key drops from regular content to access bosses ... but to answer your question, regular drops aren't worth getting you always have to use scrolls to identify them and the drops largely suck
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I got a couple sweet ideas.

How about the dev's stop doing shoddy work Hummm wow thats so simple. How about they test the stuff they put out WoW another simple ***** in their chain of development. I mean test stuff BEFORE it gets put out.

WoW 2 simple things, the last one is the simplest.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I got a couple sweet ideas.

How about the dev's stop doing shoddy work Hummm wow thats so simple. How about they test the stuff they put out WoW another simple ***** in their chain of development. I mean test stuff BEFORE it gets put out.

WoW 2 simple things, the last one is the simplest.

They do test their work, however as I've said earlier in the thread, end users are far, far, far, far better at breaking their work than the testers.

EDIT: And to anticipate your next question, it's a numbers game. PWE employees X QA employees dedicated to NW for Y hours a week, they test the fixes for Z hours and if they can't find any holes then they say its good to go. The test server has less than 10% of the forum population actively testing on it.

Exploiters on the other hand have at least x^100 people working on finding new ways to exploit, with no set hours. They have the time and the numbers to keep breaking the game that PWE/Cryptic don't have to fix the game.