What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exploits . . . .

Comments

• Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Ohhh I like this idea, but lets take it one step further. Leave the exploitable shortcuts there, if someone uses them, have it generate an auto three day ban for them.

The problem with this is that it is 90% of the playerbase & they are not going to ban that many people:(. I have been unable to get into even one Karru instance in weeks where people weren't using crazy acrobatics and campfire exploits. Two days ago, got into a group and I refused to participate and was team leader so also refused to leave. They had to come back and "clear the trash" with me. The whole time I was verbally abused, sworn at, and made to feel like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Told that "you are lucky you are leader otherwise we would kick you". I could have kicked them all after the boss fight and denied them the chest, but have too much integrity to abuse the system even though they were just horrible. I am a TR so I solo'd the boss as expected, didn't go down once, got my chest and was bummed out for the rest of the day. Wow, what fun.
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Ohhh I like this idea, but lets take it one step further. Leave the exploitable shortcuts there, if someone uses them, have it generate an auto three day ban for them.

That you don't seem to be employing sarcasm is very sad. The burden in these cases is on the designer.

Hypothetical:
    -AD/Zen prices at current levels + enchant removal costs remain the same.
    -New instance out with loot people want
    -Making as much AD as you can before the bottoms fall out of prices is in most players best interest.

Spend an hour TRYING to exploit the maps you make before you send them live and everyone wins.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    The problem with this is that it is 90% of the playerbase & they are not going to ban that many people:(. I have been unable to get into even one Karru instance in weeks where people weren't using crazy acrobatics and campfire exploits. Two days ago, got into a group and I refused to participate and was team leader so also refused to leave. They had to come back and "clear the trash" with me. The whole time I was verbally abused, sworn at, and made to feel like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Told that "you are lucky you are leader otherwise we would kick you". I could have kicked them all after the boss fight and denied them the chest, but have too much integrity to abuse the system even though they were just horrible. I am a TR so I solo'd the boss as expected, didn't go down once, got my chest and was bummed out for the rest of the day. Wow, what fun.

When i pug with my cleric, i'm often team leader, so i feel free to kick people willing to exploit. I do this very often in Fardelver's crypt. Since i'm party leader, i tell them it's my run and my rules, and if they get rude, they get a kick too. I've stopped having too much respect for people not having respect for others. Forcing someone to cheat for selfish purposes isn't a proof of respect. Thus, i happily kick people and do not even care about it anymore. And when i'm not team leader, i just quit, even if it means "ruining" their chest. Fair enough, they ruined my fun. I really like the social aspect of this game, and i don't really like having to behave like this to enjoy the game mechanics, but it is what it is, fixes are coming but it's always small fixes that don't fix anything, because players just switch to another method.

It's amazing to see how people can treat others like <my eyes!> to save a few real life copper coins - because loots are sold for the RL currency on the AH.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Oh yes it's entirely the designer's fault. The quest design allow exploits: slay boss 1, slay boss 2, slay final boss, and that's it. It's like a huge incentive to use all borderline, grey, dirty, (rogue) builds and skips to get asap to the final chest. Yep, players are free to skip what they can/want, and it only leads to unfun dungeons where the purpose is only to loot the boss and the final chest.

I've played a Castle never and a Frozen heart instance today. Both of them had players using exploits. In CN, due to a very well know and widely used rogue exploit, all we did is:
    - porting to the first boss spawn camp thanks to a well-known exploit
    - someone suiciding the first boss
    - killing at most 15 packs in the dungeon to reach the second boss
    - killing boss 2 from a safe spot where adds and the boss can't reach you - but you can hit the boss.
    - dying, respawning to the next campfire
    - porting to boss 3 campfire thanks to the same well-know exploit
    - Killing boss 3
    - exploit-teleporting to the final boss campfire
    - bugging mobs to do the last boss without adds.

Awesome. Boss fights weren't even remotely challenging due to exploits, and we killed like 50 npcs in the "hardest" dungeon in game. I'm playing because i enjoy the combat mechanics, and i've been denied enjoyment because people only care about their precious chest.

Not posting methods, just telling how frustrating it was. I hope it's ok.

I really like neverwinter's combat mechanics. What I don't like is having transmute costs where 1 item = 3 days max refining. Or enchant removal costs upwards of 330k AD. If I want to play this game at the level I have been, my options are incredibly limited.

Farm efficiently, hard, and early or suffer.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    I really like neverwinter's combat mechanics. What I don't like is having transmute costs where 1 item = 3 days max refining. Or enchant removal costs upwards of 330k AD. If I want to play this game at the level I have been, my options are incredibly limited.

Farm efficiently, hard, and early or suffer.

Well the real issue is that you can sell loots for ADs, and you can turn ADs into RL currencies. It's a huge incentive to farm loots to save a few copper coins, because there are like 90% (like myself) who don't want to pay for this game for whatever reason. Apparently, many will be aggressive not to spend a few cent, which is a pity. This is why the game needs hard anti-cheating rules, if they don't change the business model (something that probably won't happen), because currently, it makes the game not enjoyable at all.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I've sent some tickets about dungeon shortcuts but never got any answers. The tickets about exploits often get lost mysteriously, not even a "oh thank you, we didn't know about it and will make sure to pass your feedback to engineers".

I'm currently doing a demo record of ALL exploity (not skipping one pack, the terrain design failure ones) shortcuts in game, but honestly, i doubt someone cares about it at cryptic.

Like every other MMO I have played on Cryptic won't send individual responses to bug reports.
    That doesn't mean they are ignoring the reports or don't appreciate the reports. There's just too many to respond to individually.

Keep reporting. They will get fixed. :)
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I think moving forward this kind of gaming "exploiting" is more and more common. Almost like a gaming style, a fad if you will. I contest that WOTC is actually targeting this group which seems to be growing in popularity. This is the player base WOTC wants.
  • Options
    infernal667infernal667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Even if they made the adds worth my time I would still try to skip past them. They are simply BORING. No challenge and generic behaviour. The only thing I can bring myself to is to throw them all off some cliff somewhere.

I want to see your attitude after doing 50 spider runs like I have. After that you would do everything in your power to get past any add possible.

What cryptic should do is simple: Add official shortcuts to every dungeon but make them a lot harder to accomplish, like jumping puzzles or hard mini boss encounters. Experienced players will take these routes and do their 3 runs per DD. Players who want to experience the dungeon in full length or its story *cough* can simply open up a group and advertise with 'no shortcuts'.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Like every other MMO I have played on Cryptic won't send individual responses to bug reports.
    That doesn't mean they are ignoring the reports or don't appreciate the reports. There's just too many to respond to individually.

Is this exploits or reports or both :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    I think moving forward this kind of gaming "exploiting" is more and more common. Almost like a gaming style, a fad if you will. I contest that WOTC is actually targeting this group which seems to be growing in popularity. This is the player base WOTC wants.

It's been "common" practice in MMOs since there were MMOs.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Even if they made the adds worth my time I would still try to skip past them. They are simply BORING. No challenge and generic behaviour. The only thing I can bring myself to is to throw them all off some cliff somewhere.

I want to see your attitude after doing 50 spider runs like I have. After that you would do everything in your power to get past any add possible.

What cryptic should do is simple: Add official shortcuts to every dungeon but make them a lot harder to accomplish, like jumping puzzles or hard mini boss encounters. Experienced players will take these routes and do their 3 runs per DD. Players who want to experience the dungeon in full length or its story *cough* can simply open up a group and advertise with 'no shortcuts'.

No, exploiting players should simply stop exploiting.

FTR I am over 50 spider runs and prefer to do the run without skipping.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Don't the devs actually have an intern who can run through the dungeons and find these? This would be just a few hours of work, then a few more to lay in some polygons with no textures to wall off places you don't want players visiting.

Quick, everyone go buy a bag, or a mount, from the zen shop, so they can hire more people. Wait, that doesn't make sense. Shouldn't they have enough already? Enough people are buying this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, so they should be able to hire more people to fix the game, test the game, make new content, faster. Ah, greed. I don't feel I will be logging in much anymore.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I am WAY over the 50 dungeon runs. I've done spellplague more than 50 times, i still enjoy killing "unnecessary" maws. Sometimes, i don't even want to bump stuff. I like dungeons so much that i've created another char recently (a CW), and still enjoy legit runs more than silly skip fests.

I mostly play support classes, so if you remove what you call "trash" i've nothing to do.

If you're bored with the game, why are you still playing it?
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Here we go again...idealists vs. realists.

First 20 times it is fun and engaging....after that not so much.

Simple fact is that there is too much trash in the majority of the dungeon.

To the idealists that want to follow the rules and kill every dayum thing...more power to you.

To the realists that have experienced the grind enough and runs a premade that knows the short cuts...keep up the good fight.
  • Options
    infernal667infernal667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am WAY over the 50 dungeon runs. I've done spellplague more than 50 times, i still enjoy killing "unnecessary" maws. Sometimes, i don't even want to bump stuff. I like dungeons so much that i've created another char recently (a CW), and still enjoy legit runs more than silly skip fests.

I mostly play support classes, so if you remove what you call "trash" i've nothing to do.

If you're bored with the game, why are you still playing it?

What is it that you enjoy during a fight with adds? Its easy, its boring, its like taking the trash outside. There is neither a challenge nor a gain when killing them.

Also kicking stuff over ledges is not an exploit but something the devs have added to help us kill the adds faster. Its common sense to use the quickest method possible to kill the stuff. Its common sense to move around adds if they do not aggro you. Your goal is to kill the big bad boss at the end of the dungeon, not to search all corners for something you will never find.

Am I bored with the game? A bit, but I will stay until I have finished building up my characters to max level. And for that I need AD.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey all, thanks for your feedback and comments here. We take reports of exploiting very seriously and are working hard to address all of them. Thanks again!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    What is it that you enjoy during a fight with adds? Its easy, its boring, its like taking the trash outside. There is neither a challenge nor a gain when killing them.

Also kicking stuff over ledges is not an exploit but something the devs have added to help us kill the adds faster. Its common sense to use the quickest method possible to kill the stuff. Its common sense to move around adds if they do not aggro you. Your goal is to kill the big bad boss at the end of the dungeon, not to search all corners for something you will never find.

Am I bored with the game? A bit, but I will stay until I have finished building up my characters to max level. And for that I need AD.

I'm not a fanatic, i still enjoy some bumps and a "shortcut", if you can skip a big bad guy, as long as everyone follows the trail. Why is fighting adds enjoyable to me? Well i enjoy keeping the party alive and buffing them so that everyone can do his job properly, efficiently, with my DC. Adds have various sneaky attacks, you have to know them, and the game combat mechanics are fun anyway, so it's not a chore to me. Controlling adds with the CW is also very enjoyable.

I'm the kind of educated guy with some money on his and thanks to a cool job, and also a lot of free time. I can focus on the same activity for hours (be it reading, playing, learning something), and i like having to think and solve problems quickly. This game allows me to do all this. Translate problems into adds management and you get it. So, yes, when you skip content and try to force me to jump, you deny me access to the part of the game i enjoy.

Of course I like getting ADs, of course i'm not opposed to looting a dungeon chest quicker, but i want the party to be the best players i've ever played with if we do it in a record time, not just the silly result of a skip fest. Yep, it means people will have to learn to play to farm dungeons faster if exploits get fixed one day, and since my goal is to be a good player... well, you got it. Exploits are frustrating because there's no achievement to do it repeatedly.

Let me illustrate this: You want to play monopoly. You can just follow the rules and play the game with your friends, or you can just take all the money from the bank (nothing prevents you from doing that) and claim you won the game. Which option is fun? If you don't enjoy playing monopoly anymore and just want to "win" to watch a worthless and meaningless pile of banknotes, then i suggest you find another game.
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Who wants to fight these trash mobs? Just let us queue up for boss fights that take say 20-30 minutes and then give us loot, cmon devs. fighting trash is boring, just hold down buttons.
  • Options
    s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Exploits\Shortcuts keep this game alive for me. If I wouldn't be able to spend 5-6 hours a week ingame and keep on par with the majority I wouldn't play at all, some of us don't spend 10 hours a day playing games.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    giggliato wrote: »
    Who wants to fight these trash mobs? Just let us queue up for boss fights that take say 20-30 minutes and then give us loot, cmon devs. fighting trash is boring, just hold down buttons.

Why not just have a chest in the middle of Protector's Enclave that gives everyone loot twice a day?:rolleyes:
    s3z3 wrote: »
    Exploits\Shortcuts keep this game alive for me. If I wouldn't be able to spend 5-6 hours a week ingame and keep on par with the majority I wouldn't play at all, some of us don't spend 10 hours a day playing games.

But you aren't "playing" the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

He is absolutely playing the game. If I walk past the same 5 kobolds you spend 5 seconds killing, we are still both playing the same game. Where is it written that I have to kill everything? :D
    Sheesh.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Who do you think you are to tell me "grow up"? Grow up and learn something about people: when you send a message, you often wait for an answer, even if it's a generic message they send in such situations.

I think you're just a troll and frustrated because someone wants to see exploits fixed in game. And i really wonder why. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure there's a name and shame thread about you kicking "exploiters" from your groups before they can loot their DD chests. Heads up :D
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    He is absolutely playing the game. If I walk past the same 5 kobolds you spend 5 seconds killing, we are still both playing the same game. Where is it written that I have to kill everything? :D
    Sheesh.

There is a difference between "walking by" and doing ridiculous feats of acrobatics, using campfire exploits or dying exploits, bugging adds, etc.

Not visiting Lloth's Daughter, in Cragmire Crypts as an example, would be skipping optional content. Most Karru, CN, or FarDelver "Speedruns" are exploiting. The difference is simply common sense.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There is a difference between "walking by" and doing ridiculous feats of acrobatics, using campfire exploits or dying exploits, bugging adds, etc.

Not visiting Lloth's Daughter, in Cragmire Crypts as an example, would be skipping optional content. Most Karru, CN, or FarDelver "Speedruns" are exploiting. The difference is simply common sense.

I agree, and the most annoying aspect of all this is that all these exploiters will result in dungeons being made more confined and linear.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I agree, and the most annoying aspect of all this is that all these exploiters will result in dungeons being made more confined and linear.

So you don't want more invisible walls, you just want everyone on the honor system to not use short cuts for their advantage? :D
  • Options
    s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

I'm playing the part that matters in pve, boss battle+loot, if adds were to drop something useful I would play that part as well but as of now it's a time waste and time is money. log in>do professions>2-3 quick dungeon runs>sell <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>>3-4 pvp pug humiliation fun>log out. Takes ~2hours, repeated couple of times a week keeps inner child happy.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm pretty sure there's a name and shame thread about you kicking "exploiters" from your groups before they can loot their DD chests. Heads up :D

I've said many times i was kicking exploiters from dungeon parties. It's not a scoop. I even leave groups (after the first boss, of course) when i'm not party leader and when they try to force me to cheat. Without a good healer, they are kind of trapped and have to leave anyway. I feel no shame though. Why should i? They can make their own private cheating parties. Public groups aren't a place for that.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I have a possible idea why the devs dont fix the exploits. Without the exploits the dungeons are horrendously boring. With the exploits in the game people end up using them to get to boss faster the dungeons are very boring each are pretty much the same one with different models for enemy.

If the exploits get patched up more people are going to leave the game plain and simple. I for one would rather the exploits be fixed ASAP. They should of been fixed few days to a week at most after they were known.
  • Options
    d3l337d3l337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Exploits are because of bad coding and lack of testing. It is like developers disrespect players. People do things because they can. This is like players disrespect developers. What you give you shall receive.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »
    I'm playing the part that matters in pve, boss battle+loot, if adds were to drop something useful I would play that part as well but as of now it's a time waste and time is money. log in>do professions>2-3 quick dungeon runs>sell <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>>3-4 pvp pug humiliation fun>log out. Takes ~2hours, repeated couple of times a week keeps inner child happy.

Take it from someone who has played a game longer than 10 years. This game can have more meaning. The problem is that there is little to do currently and I agree with the simple fact that if killing a sub set of mobs garners no rewards then said sub group of mobs is an obstacle that can be over come with circumvention.

To all the idealists....give us a reason to kill that group rather than running around and "skipping" content and then you will have the long term players attention. Long term is a summation of investment measured in time spent and not money spent.

Too all the other folks that drop hugs sacks of coin...thanks for funding the development. Short term we would not succeed without your contributions.

Too the current developers, lay the ground work so that future developers can continue down the path that you blazed.

You want to experience a truly open world developed over decades? See what a Mud has accomplished and which no video game has captured to date. List spells, or skills, or races for a mud that started in the eary 90's and is still going strong to this day. Built on the collective experience of both gamers and developers...I challenge you to google batmud and see what a collaboration between gamers AND developers can accomplish.

Neverwinter has the foundation...it is up to developers AND gamers to bring the vision to reality.

Sincerely,

Ganelon Wanderlust