test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This game was meant to fail at the start

deephorizon111deephorizon111 Member Posts: 103
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So the guild died and pretty much people are leaving and since there is not enough people for a healthy auction house, the "Buy to win" is worse now than ever in both PvE and PvP.

I am glad I didn't waste a single penny on this fail of an MMO but I have to wonder, why was this MMO ever allowed in the first place? You had both DnD fans and new players telling what was wrong with the game but updates are not really working. On top of that with the current state of BoTs, PvP is a joke, and PvE random queues are being taken up.

I understand that people would like to believe that the "under staffed" is the problem but if that was so, why launch it anyways? Even the community manager cant even tell the truth about the current state of the game.

Unfortuantly there are no other MMOs interesting enough that are around and have to wait until next year, which is a cruel enough joke as it is.

What I want to know is how much money, this company made in ripping people off in the zen shop? I mean if anyone was watching the gaming times, there was a huge up roar of protest about Blizzard making a cash shop. However Blizzard seems to hint to the public that they have a confirmed inside scoop that companys are making more money from individuals than grabing new people. I can confirmed from my "dead" guild that we had over 30 people that was spending literally tens of thousands of dollars to play this game and in end, ended up bored of this game.

So is this how MMOs going to be in the future? Broad cast Free-to-play, add a cash shop, removing subscription, and rake in the money to individuals that are stupid enough to spend the money on cash shops?

I have to say, video games both in quality and reputations, has ever so gone down hill ever since the introduction of "Cash Shops" and "Free to play". However it rakes in the money for companies like Perfect World, while new to this company, yes I have learned that's how this company makes money is "Cash Shops" only.

The only thing that displeases me and maybe a majority of DnD fans, is the fact that DnD sold the rights to "use" a DnD setting to Perfect World.
Post edited by deephorizon111 on

Comments

• nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    LOL Just LOL
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You can't win in PvE, so B2W or P2W doesn't exist there.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • nymphhoardernymphhoarder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You realize most people are still having fun atm. Just the complaints come here.. From the local people I know there must be alot of solo or small grps that play only a couple times a week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deephorizon111deephorizon111 Member Posts: 103
    edited July 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    You can't win in PvE, so B2W or P2W doesn't exist there.

There are enough threads that explain in detail how this game is "Buy to win" and even I shared some of my insight on it. This however is not another of "those" threads. Just a mere thread of "why" this game was allowed to exist with "Perfect World".

I do enjoy the humor of "fan boys" such as yourself that try to deny the simple facts. Do carry on.
  • nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    LOL and the ones that spent tens of thousands rushing to the end in other words the Buy to winners are complaining...

You contradict yourself do not even realise you are the problem That is really LOL worthy.

Erm or was that Buy to Whiner???
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Am I reading this correctly? did this poster just call his entire, now gone from the game guild, stupid?
    edited July 2013
    You realize most people are still having fun atm. Just the complaints come here.. From the local people I know there must be alot of solo or small grps that play only a couple times a week.

While I agree, the people that come on here do enjoy the this game "when they have money to spend" but for those that can't, come here. I have been reading other forums about similar situations like this of the same set up and its clear that Perfect World is okay allowing "advantage" from real cash to come into play.

So while I am not debating anything that other threads brought up, I just want to know why DnD setting was sold PW in the first place and what was the incentive?

So the first educated guess is that it had be a large sum of money offered on the table as one factor. Comparing to the new story about an American company, is selling one of its largest meat companies to China for over 5,000 billion dollars, yes that phrase is correct as stated in news and article, one has to wonder what was given to DnD to allow them to sell rights to PW that ended up ruining a good reputation for DnD.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This thread will not end well.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • backbite44backbite44 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hehe Slam! While i have dished out a couple bucks im fine with that. I have been hoping for a bit more depth in the game but with my playstyle/time i havn't even tried out all the different builds yet any way. By then i hope there is a bit more though. Go outside take a breather, it won't cost you a cent. People can decide for themselves the value of their money. :)
    Saved!
  • thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What I want to know is how much money, this company made in ripping people off in the zen shop? I mean if anyone was watching the gaming times, there was a huge up roar of protest about Blizzard making a cash shop. However Blizzard seems to hint to the public that they have a confirmed inside scoop that companys are making more money from individuals than grabing new people. I can confirmed from my "dead" guild that we had over 30 people that was spending literally tens of thousands of dollars to play this game and in end, ended up bored of this game.

So is this how MMOs going to be in the future? Broad cast Free-to-play, add a cash shop, removing subscription, and rake in the money to individuals that are stupid enough to spend the money on cash shops?

No. 99.99% of the games will be designed from the ground up with a no subscription model, not even a box free.

The remaining 0.01% will have subscription + cash shop + real money trading house + cross product promotions such as subscribe to WoW and get D3 free or buy D3 and get WoW cash shop points + recruit-a-bot (ahem, recruit-a-friend) program + multiple tier loyalty program with loyalty being measured by every real dollar spent + undocumented incentives to keep some foolish fanbois yelling how good this sulfur dioxide smelling games are + ...
    edited July 2013

Well... perhaps if the game was better, threads like this wont exist. It doesn't matter if this thread becomes locked, closed, or deleted; its the mere fact that "Perfect World" deliberately allowed the game to fail.

So I blame the company, not the idea of the game, but it clearly shows that Dungeon and Dragons Online, is far superior than this piece of junk.
    edited July 2013
    No. 99.99% of the games will be designed from the ground up with a no subscription model, not even a box free.

The remaining 0.01% will have subscription + cash shop + real money trading house + cross product promotions such as subscribe to WoW and get D3 free or buy D3 and get WoW cash shop points + recruit-a-bot (ahem, recruit-a-friend) program + multiple tier loyalty program with loyalty being measured by every real dollar spent + undocumented incentives to keep some foolish fanbois yelling how good this sulfur dioxide smelling games are + ...

In all the MMO gaming history, never once has a "Free to play" MMO turned out to be good. Look at Guild Wars 2 because the Developers are pushing their people to release new content "Every 2 weeks" to keep people interested but even before than updating content month and half was still not enough.

However the point is, if you have to push out content as a fast as you can as a "Free to play", that's also saying that your game's older content "was never good to begin with".

Using examples of a PC game "Skyrim", PS "Final Fantasy Tactics", and Atari "Pac-man" people are still willen to go back and play those games because it was sold as a complete game.

Now transfering that to a MMO style by paying for an expansion that was funded by subscriptions, you are getting a mostly completed game.

When you go to "Free to play" you are not getting a complete package, you are at the mercy of Devs that can throw any content they want to see if you are willen to spend alot of real money in the cash shops and never fix the original content.

This is why people complain about making "Alts" or "extra characters" with the choice of MMO they are playing now.

So my "Point is" if your game is "free to play" and offers no replay value, then it was ment to fail.
  • krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You ever visit a deceased loved one at the Cemetery? I have. Some I spend long periods of time reflecting on memories, talking to them in spirit, basking in the warmth of the sun while I reminisce. That's alot like how I feel about this game. It's dead, buried in the ground, but I can't leave...I'm lingering, waiting for something living to call my attention once again.

Here's another analogy for ya:

Imagine a loving couple, they want to have a child. They envision a healthy glowing baby addition to their family, possibilities and hopes abound.

Then tragedy strikes and baby is born dead. Hope is crushed, deep emotional pain ensues. Recovery begins.

That's alot like how I'm sure Cryptic feels about this game.
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While I agree, the people that come on here do enjoy the this game "when they have money to spend" but for those that can't, come here. I have been reading other forums about similar situations like this of the same set up and its clear that Perfect World is okay allowing "advantage" from real cash to come into play.

So while I am not debating anything that other threads brought up, I just want to know why DnD setting was sold PW in the first place and what was the incentive?

So the first educated guess is that it had be a large sum of money offered on the table as one factor. Comparing to the new story about an American company, is selling one of its largest meat companies to China for over 5,000 billion dollars, yes that phrase is correct as stated in news and article, one has to wonder what was given to DnD to allow them to sell rights to PW that ended up ruining a good reputation for DnD.

I doubt that the rights were sold to PWE. AFAIK, Cryptic was working on Neverwinter at the time they were acquired by PWE. (FYI: The buying price was 50 million USD).
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In all the MMO gaming history, never once has a "Free to play" MMO turned out to be good. Look at Guild Wars 2 because the Developers are pushing their people to release new content "Every 2 weeks" to keep people interested but even before than updating content month and half was still not enough.

However the point is, if you have to push out content as a fast as you can as a "Free to play", that's also saying that your game's older content "was never good to begin with".

Using examples of a PC game "Skyrim", PS "Final Fantasy Tactics", and Atari "Pac-man" people are still willen to go back and play those games because it was sold as a complete game.

Now transfering that to a MMO style by paying for an expansion that was funded by subscriptions, you are getting a mostly completed game.

When you go to "Free to play" you are not getting a complete package, you are at the mercy of Devs that can throw any content they want to see if you are willen to spend alot of real money in the cash shops and never fix the original content.

This is why people complain about making "Alts" or "extra characters" with the choice of MMO they are playing now.

So my "Point is" if your game is "free to play" and offers no replay value, then it was ment to fail.

You can have your opinions on what is a good product or business but you don't represent the whole world.

For instance, somebody called EA the worst company in the America twice in 2 years but the real fact was EA sold more of their products and made more money than most people predicted and their stock price jump 150% which was far better than most of its peers. If they were the worst company with the worst products why would people gave them money? Why would investors put money in their stocks?

You can keep calling any names to whatever companies you like and you can predict they all die in a month but the facts is you are not the only one saying the same things. A lot of people said so 10 years ago and we all see who are standing and who have fallen. Yes, right! Just keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting... while these companies keep going... and going... and going... like the Eveready Bunny.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As most of my characters are at or near 60, now, I have to say that the biggest issues I'm having are:

1. Broken or underperforming queue system.

2. Inability to invite others, (even if it's just from those already in queue), to a dungeon-in-progress, if someone left or DC'd.

3. Dungeon Delve and Skirmish system which promotes rushing instead of being able to play at a slower, more enjoyable rate.

4. In-demand classes, like DCs or GFs, (at least as far as getting into a PUG via the queue), are less fun to play, get criticized more if they're not performing at full efficiency, and there being relatively few "correct playstyles" for them.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed leveling up my characters, and have invested enough time into this game that I don't want to give up on it. I'm holding out hope that the solo-able T1's coming w/ the Feywild Module will give me something to do in the downtime, but I'd really like to see queues improved.

I mean, how hard can it be to look into the queue, grab 1 DC, 1 GF, then 3 others, and launch a dang dungeon? Heck, (at least for most T1's I've played), a GWF could take the spot for a GF...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2013
    krahct wrote: »
    You ever visit a deceased loved one at the Cemetary? I have. Some I spend long periods of time reflecting on memories, talking to them in spirit, basking in the warmth of the sun while I reminisce. That's alot like how I feel about this game. It's dead, buried in the ground, but I can't leave...I'm lingering, waiting for something living to call my attention once again.

I thought I addressed this with my previous post "There are no other MMO games that are currently interesting enough to bother at this time until next year." .

This is what's on the table so far that people play: "EQ 1, EQ 2, Torch 2, DDO, WoW, Guild Wars 2, Eve, and some others I can't think of".

Like I said, its not hard to google "MMO list" see what is a free and what is not, by now most gamers have experienced or tried out, every MMO that is live or still in open beta and are not satisfied with the current list or just bored with very old MMOs.

I've played many magical and sci fi MMOs but none of them can't seem give any good "replay" value.

Most MMOs seem to cator to hard core, elistist, or people so bored with their lives waste thousands of dollars to by pass the grind.

What I dont get is why companies feel they need to cator to these kinds of people but time and time again, they make video games suited to their needs.

It should be like the consoles games, make a game that's complete and offer replay value, and no matter how old it is, people will come back and play it.

Now if you say Blizzard achieved this, I would have to disagree, they have achieved of milking that game but in the end ruined their own game, but never once made a good MMO for reply value.
    edited July 2013
    I doubt that the rights were sold to PWE. AFAIK, Cryptic was working on Neverwinter at the time they were acquired by PWE. (FYI: The buying price was 50 million USD).

Guess you can't read but then again, never thought I had to clarify. I said in previous post DnD sold the right to use a DnD setting for PW to make an MMO out of. I never said they sold the very "Rights of DnD" to PW.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If no mmos seem compelling or worth it, maybe this isn't the genre for you?

And maybe instead of devoting your energies in trying to convince other folks that mmos aren't for them, either, you should focus on finding a game genre you actually enjoy.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Guess you can't read but then again, never thought I had to clarify. I said in previous post DnD sold the right to use a DnD setting for PW to make an MMO out of. I never said they sold the very "Rights of DnD" to PW.

I agree with you 100%, the business of game development is not about entertainment anymore or giving the players what they want. It's about the money. Once venture capital companies got involved in gaming the industry began to take a turn for the worse. It's now about profit and not success of a well built game, it's now about how much money can be raked in quickly.

Someone said it before, it's a schill..I think was the terminology.

It's sad, there are so many of us that would pay for a good game, one with depth and longevity, but I'm afraid those days are gone. Maybe it's time to grow up, get serious about life, and stop gaming....Yuck.

Anyways, I feel your pain, I do. If I was ten years younger I'd change my career path and go into gaming and try to help fix it, but I'm building a good career in product/service management in a Software as a Service industry and I'm too old to change...like you care.
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    If no mmos seem compelling or worth it, maybe this isn't the genre for you?

And maybe instead of devoting your energies in trying to convince other folks that mmos aren't for them, either, you should focus on finding a game genre you actually enjoy.

You have no idea how many times, I have encountered this very reply, but I have to ask this "Is it really me? or is the way MMO's are being forced to become?"

For example, every single MMO person (or atleast the majority) got upset that Zenimax announced that "The Elder Scrolls Online" wasn't an MMO but more an "Online" feature that will allow you to group up with friends but the main focus is allowing a person "Solo game play". Which is no different from soloing a console game but allows online game play similar to play station or xbox.

So I have to ask, is it really all that bad? I mean you see threads from various MMOs people having a hard time finding a guild that focuses on End Game Content for PvP or PvE with Raids and even then, if your guild that formed the raid group failed to accomplish defeating the boss, you never get to see end content.

Not only that you are also taking a gamble that your guild "socially" can get along, people's real lives does not affect the formation of the raid or dungeon group, and if everyone is up-to-par both in gear, spec, and skill.

This is why there is only 1% group of Elitst people. So while WoW included a "Looking for Raid" much later but too late, you are already missing out on most of the older content, so basically you dont know the game at all. Sure you can go back and "do your home work" but 99% of the time, new players or new gamers will find that boring when comparing the interest rate of... "Angry Birds" or "Fruit Ninjas".

So is that really fun? You're only "sense of accomplishment" is back stabbing people at the end (This covers many areas in example: Auction House, Loot Rolls, or E-peen) just to view end game?
  • derspenglerderspengler Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can confirmed from my "dead" guild that we had over 30 people that was spending literally tens of thousands of dollars to play this game and in end, ended up bored of this game.

Tens of thousands of dollars? On WHAT? I've spent a couple hundred but that was mostly the founders/heroes packs because those seemed like valid investments because a) they had useful stuff for Alt-A-Holics like me (starting equipment, mounts, companions, character slots and a somewhat unique race, at least for now) and b) I've enjoyed Champions and Star Trek. If I had bought lifetimes from the start they would have paid for themselves twice over by now, but they seemed sort of "meh" to start. I figured investing now, even if it's F2P right from the start, is a way of repaying Cryptic for many hours of enjoyment and if this one even goes the way of Champions rather than Star Trek, it'll have been worth it. If it dies... oh well, I knew the risk.

But I digress... what could they possibly spend tens of thousands of dollars on RIGHT NOW? Buying everything in the zen store, right down to the hooker... ahem, "courtesan" outfits? Or opening a ton of lockboxes? Or just buying zen to convert to AD, thereby causing sky-high inflation of stuff in the AH because everybody figures "hey, someone will pay out the nose for this purple"?

Honestly, I want to know. You *might* hit the 10K mark buying everything in the STO store, and that's because it's built up through the years.

Well, when you have people that spend tens of thousands of dollars when a game has only been out of Beta a month, probably so.
    The only thing that displeases me and maybe a majority of DnD fans, is the fact that DnD sold the rights to "use" a DnD setting to Perfect World.

As a long time DnD player, my displeasure was with the use of 4th ed rules/settings and that was the main reason I was sorta iffy on it. But that's more on WotC than it is Cryptic and having only recently read up on 4th ed in detail, I have to say it's reasonably close to the actual game.

Now if Pathfinder had licensed an MMORPG... I'd have been here first day, cash in hand.
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    nick1stern wrote: »
    LOL Just LOL

Don't encourage them,
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Of course not
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Y'know... the funny thing is, most of these F2P MMOs spout the "micro-transaction" tagline, yet there is precious little in their store that's under a dollar, if anything.

If I created an MMO that was meant to be F2P, I'd put all sorts of little things in the store for a few cents a piece - things like permanent dye unlocks that you can use over and over again - buy 1 particular shade of green for 5 cents, all shades of green for 25 cents, 5 whole color hues for like $1. Make things appear as great values for the price you paid. $25 for a mount or $10 for a bag do not a micro-transaction make...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2013
    Tens of thousands of dollars?

Wards. Enchantments. Converting Zen into AD.

There is a huge advantage when you have a single "Lesser" Weapon or Armor enchantment when it comes to PvP. Also there are more sets for PvE that out shine PvP gear when it comes to set bonuses. Fastest Mount makes a difference too.

So basically what the guild did was to test everything they made sure they had 20-30 Rank 10 runes for armor and pets for each rune field, perfect weapon and armor enchants. Copy your character to Test realm and do all the testing you want to make the perfect character.

While yes it is their choice, there is a huge difference in game play advantage if you have a single weapon and armor enchant. This its been discussed by other people in other threads to argue about the "Buy to Win" for both PvP and PvE.

Edit: Oh and spending AD to by pass the waiting time to max out professions. Since a Dev confirmed that to have the BiS slot gear can be obtained in trade skills, this fueled the incentive.

Also, because the RNG "On loot Drops from dungeons *even with Dungeon Delves*" is so bad, you can just buy most of your gear off of auction house without playing the game fully and beat the game.
    edited July 2013

Man, this person has a real hard on for hating on Blizzard. Did Ghost Crawler beat you down in real life? I mean did they ban your account because you couldn't type this stupid <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the World of Warcraft forums so you took up arms in another games forums.
    Death_knight.jpg

~Sholom Aleichem
    edited July 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Man, this person has a real hard on for hating on Blizzard. Did Ghost Crawler beat you down in real life? I mean did they ban your account because you couldn't type this stupid <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the World of Warcraft forums so you took up arms in another games forums.

OH I so miss Ghostcrawler...that azzhat.
    edited July 2013
    krahct wrote: »
    OH I so miss Ghostcrawler...that azzhat.

I don't miss him, but I'm not going to waste my time bashing him on Neverwtiner forums. lol
    Death_knight.jpg

~Sholom Aleichem
  • pierofvpierofv Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    As most of my characters are at or near 60, now, I have to say that the biggest issues I'm having are:

1. Broken or underperforming queue system.

2. Inability to invite others, (even if it's just from those already in queue), to a dungeon-in-progress, if someone left or DC'd.

3. Dungeon Delve and Skirmish system which promotes rushing instead of being able to play at a slower, more enjoyable rate.

4. In-demand classes, like DCs or GFs, (at least as far as getting into a PUG via the queue), are less fun to play, get criticized more if they're not performing at full efficiency, and there being relatively few "correct playstyles" for them.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed leveling up my characters, and have invested enough time into this game that I don't want to give up on it. I'm holding out hope that the solo-able T1's coming w/ the Feywild Module will give me something to do in the downtime, but I'd really like to see queues improved.

I mean, how hard can it be to look into the queue, grab 1 DC, 1 GF, then 3 others, and launch a dang dungeon? Heck, (at least for most T1's I've played), a GWF could take the spot for a GF...

i agree with him, there are a lot of issues with the server, like the lag or that you get kicked out from the game twice or thrice in a day when you are at pvp or doing some skirmishes and dungeons.

for example 20min ago, i was playing a pvp match and got kicked when i died, when i entered to the game, i was dropped the on the floor dead, when i released my char had a injury and no healing buff ._.