test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where is money we spend at Zen Store going to

fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just curious
Post edited by fusedmass on

Comments

• Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To Cryptic and PWE.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It goes to the delevoper and publisher like the person above me mentioned. They use it to keep the game running, and to pay employees to keep the game runing smoothly, fix bugs, and develope new content. So by spending money in the zen store you support the games betterment. Some of it goes for pure profit of course, but a large portion goes back into the game.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Aston Martin
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    China.......
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    China.......

We have to repay are debt some how, what better way then by playing a video game.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Neither the devs nor PW will ever tell us what % of money spent in the store goes back into the game. We can only *hope* that it is a significant proportion...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Stella Artois
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wallets. Swiss bank accounts. Expensive hotels. Cheap floozies. You get the idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    China.......

Me no get no money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    chidy1776 wrote: »
    It goes to the delevoper and publisher like the person above me mentioned. They use it to keep the game running, and to pay employees to keep the game runing smoothly, fix bugs, and develope new content. So by spending money in the zen store you support the games betterment. Some of it goes for pure profit of course, but a large portion goes back into the game.

If only that were true...
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    marvelz0mbiemarvelz0mbie Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    Just curious

Seriously. You're playing a AA (can't quite call it AAA) MMO for free, and you wonder where the money from the Zen Market is going?

Uh..maybe paying for the millions of dollars in development costs it took to create the game? What - do you think MMOs just drop out of the sky just waiting for F2P leeches to jump on???

Use your brain people....nothing is free.
  • Options
    ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Anime mags and spatulas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Seriously. You're playing a AA (can't quite call it AAA) MMO for free, and you wonder where the money from the Zen Market is going?

Uh..maybe paying for the millions of dollars in development costs it took to create the game? What - do you think MMOs just drop out of the sky just waiting for F2P leeches to jump on???

Mass Speculation. Insulting people telling them to "use their brains" as far as to my knowledge, games even with an expensive price tag as TOR which one of the most expensive if not, the most expensive mmo ever made in history.

Now they managed to break even at 15 dollars a month, even when they went free to play. Some of us refuse to believe all the money is solely going back into what it took to make the game. You're telling me all the money goes into a small little pot.

Every little dime they earn off zen store and they used it just pay paycheck of those designing new content. If you're going to disagree with me, that's fine. But don't sound so certain, so positive and so direct when your answer isn't the correct one.

Also there isn't one "Free to Play" each MMO interprets "Free to Play" in a different light. For example Knights of Old Republic MMO, still allows you to sub but it describes itself as "Free to play" they deny you basic things like a mount, or cut down the XP you would have earned.

They still use a sub model and for 15 bucks you get all that goody's. Now Guild Wars 2, has free to play but they never would allow you to buy a cosmic weapon. They have no sub, and stuff you can buy have nothing to affect and impact combat in any way.

So you see there's many different interpretations of free to play, and I seriously doubt all company's just rake in profits and put it in a small pile, and never touch it expect to make new content. If you really believe me, then I'm going have ask for proof since its a corporation. I wager people get a slice of the cake, then it goes into the pile.
  • Options
    jiglesjigles Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Well no need to have depreciative posts i think.. he's usin "Hero of the North" tag so he's quite legit to ask that. Idk in US and Other countries, but in my country 200€ is quite a amount.
    Collision - LVL 60 TR ○○○ ENYO - LVL 60 CW
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Stella Artois

Just like Zen, it's reassuringly expensive :P
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Its paying for their WoW accounts...
  • Options
    sh4dowrunn3rsh4dowrunn3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It goes into buying next IP and developing a new cash cow around it for when this one runs out of milk. That's how all f2p games are ... it's easier/more profitable to constantly make new games and earn high short term profit(+small constant longterm) from them then investing into and polishing one game and getting same constant profit in long term.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Also there isn't one "Free to Play" each MMO interprets "Free to Play" in a different light. For example Knights of Old Republic MMO, still allows you to sub but it describes itself as "Free to play" they deny you basic things like a mount, or cut down the XP you would have earned.

They still use a sub model and for 15 bucks you get all that goody's.

1. You are not denied a mount, mounts become available at a later level than they do for subscribers is all.
    2. You do not get less XP (check year old quest data if you don't believe me). The XP a FTP receives is exactly the same as all players received when the game was sub-only. When the FTP model went live last November, subscriber XP was boosted by 20%.
    3. No we don't get all that goody's {sic}, but just like FTP players we have access to anything our sub doesn't buy.

Either way, none of this is relevant to the fact that players have no right to question how a company finances itself.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It goes into buying next IP and developing a new cash cow around it for when this one runs out of milk. That's how all f2p games are ... it's easier/more profitable to constantly make new games and earn high short term profit(+small constant longterm) from them then investing into and polishing one game and getting same constant profit in long term.

Unfortunately, I think this is true (to the detriment of the MMO genre). As long as there is enough choice for people to jump from one game to the next, then the incentive to polish games in the long-term will diminish, especially on F2P games.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    1. You are not denied a mount, mounts become available at a later level than they do for subscribers is all.
    2. You do not get less XP (check year old quest data if you don't believe me). The XP a FTP receives is exactly the same as all players received when the game was sub-only. When the FTP model went live last November, subscriber XP was boosted by 20%.
    3. No we don't get all that goody's {sic}, but just like FTP players we have access to anything our sub doesn't buy.

Either way, none of this is relevant to the fact that players have no right to question how a company finances itself.

A: I didn't say all company's was the same. I explained in depth how three separate company's with no known ties to each other, all use the free to lay model differently in what they sell, what they offer, and what they don't offer. You're rant about talking about "We do get XP"

I never said we did not in this game. I explained how TOR non subs were given less XP. Secondly, I never said in this game you were denied a mount. I said in TOR (Knights of Old Republic) You were denied a mount unless you shelled out some cash.

B: Lastly, of course customers the ones feeding the money have a right to ask where the money is going to. You act as if we have no right, and its we should be thankful, we get to player on these servers. This MMO is the most expensive. I have ever played.

I been playing since the mid 90s on MMO's. So we the customers are not being confrontational. However with Zen prices as high as they are. Selling the starter mount costing 200 dollars, and regular at 60. Of course if we're going to continue playing the game.

We have every right to ask the question, where exactly is this money going. Is it going to spent on expensive exotic cars. Are they truly in the process of making more content. I'm not demanding an answer. I'm simply asking for you. But I so much disagree, we don't have a right to ask when its our earned money that's keeping the game active.
  • Options
    zjesminzzjesminz Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Perfect World (Chinese: 完美世界; formerly 完美时空) is a China-based online game company specializing in MMORPGs. Beijing Perfect World Co. was founded in 2004 by Chi Yufeng, the president of Human Software Corporation.[2] The company aims to develop and market games with Chinese characteristics. The company's initial public offering on the Nasdaq was completed in July, 2007.[3]

Perfect World is parent to Seattle-based game developer Runic Games. In 2009, Perfect World entered into an exclusive agreement to publish Torchlight, an action-RPG in production by Runic Games worldwide and later bought a majority stake in Runic Games.[4]

On May 31, 2011 it was announced that Perfect World had acquired Cryptic Studios from Atari for over $50 million.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_World_(company)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    zjesminz wrote: »
    Perfect World (Chinese: 完美世界; formerly 完美时空) is a China-based online game company specializing in MMORPGs. Beijing Perfect World Co. was founded in 2004 by Chi Yufeng, the president of Human Software Corporation.[2] The company aims to develop and market games with Chinese characteristics. The company's initial public offering on the Nasdaq was completed in July, 2007.[3]

Perfect World is parent to Seattle-based game developer Runic Games. In 2009, Perfect World entered into an exclusive agreement to publish Torchlight, an action-RPG in production by Runic Games worldwide and later bought a majority stake in Runic Games.[4]

On May 31, 2011 it was announced that Perfect World had acquired Cryptic Studios from Atari for over $50 million.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_World_(company)

It's amusing. I thought Bioware. (The minds behind Knights of Old Republic) had originally created this game. Sadly their game isn't doing as well as this game, comes with graphics, smooth it runs etc. It seems we don't know a ton about the owners expect that they're in China.

Its just a new corporation, perhaps its a bit selfish. I'm just kindly asking where the money is being invested. After a while, spending 5 bucks to 30 is going to get really frustrating when I can spend that money on a new game. I would at very least like to know its going to content in this game.

Is that so bad
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    That wiki entry is for the Bejing Parent Company. The North American Subsidary is based in California, it's called "Perfect World Entertainment."
  • Options
    thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWRD is a publicly traded company. The money they make goes to shareholders and the governments as taxes.
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Into some *** Goblins *** obviously.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    To Cryptic and PWE.

+1 Vote... Not sure why this needs to be said... /shrug
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    +1 Vote... Not sure why this needs to be said... /shrug

Perhaps I over think things. Allow me to explain my logic.

When Warcraft needed extra money, they came out with vanity pets at 20-30 dollars a pop. When customers asked where is all the money going for transfers one server to the next (30 dollars) or a faction change (20 dollars) on top their 15 a month sub. The responded "Content"

I ask this question every MMO I go to. I'm not looking for the generic answer, you want me to hear. I want to hear the truth. Saying it goes to Cyrptic and PWE, for all I know they could be stacking that pile of money in an underground bunker. It doesn't really tell me anything.

I'm not against this company. I'm actually a big fan. However, since I paid 200 for Hero of North, then about 75 for Zen. Should I not least be afford a fulling answer for my curiosity. Am I not afforded the right once I pay for a starter pack. Just call me interested.
  • Options
    thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One big difference between money made by a public and a private company is you can buy shares in a publicly traded company in the open market. That means the money can actually goes to you.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1.) Sell AD/Zen.

2.) ???

3.) Profit!
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    aylii1984aylii1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A: I didn't say all company's was the same. I explained in depth how three separate company's with no known ties to each other, all use the free to lay model differently in what they sell, what they offer, and what they don't offer. You're rant about talking about "We do get XP"

I never said we did not in this game. I explained how TOR non subs were given less XP. Secondly, I never said in this game you were denied a mount. I said in TOR (Knights of Old Republic) You were denied a mount unless you shelled out some cash.

B: Lastly, of course customers the ones feeding the money have a right to ask where the money is going to. You act as if we have no right, and its we should be thankful, we get to player on these servers. This MMO is the most expensive. I have ever played.

I been playing since the mid 90s on MMO's. So we the customers are not being confrontational. However with Zen prices as high as they are. Selling the starter mount costing 200 dollars, and regular at 60. Of course if we're going to continue playing the game.

We have every right to ask the question, where exactly is this money going. Is it going to spent on expensive exotic cars. Are they truly in the process of making more content. I'm not demanding an answer. I'm simply asking for you. But I so much disagree, we don't have a right to ask when its our earned money that's keeping the game active.

Customer has the right to ask where the money is going (freedom of speech) agree but the Company reports to its shareholders and their interest and thats the fair situation for companies, private and public.