test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request: Option to see other players' companions' names...

arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
One of these days, I'm going to create a wizard named Barry and give him a Cantankerous Mage companion named Joe. However, it will be for naught if other players can't see my companion's name. I know that people can always Inspect my companion to see his name, but this is quite inconvenient and most people won't bother.

Just a month or so ago, companions left behind when their players logged out had visible names. It was quite interesting to see just what my fellow players have named their companions, even if I didn't know the players they were attached to.

P.S.

A few of my companions and their names:

1. William Tecumseh Sherman - Phoera (should be obvious to most Americans)
2. Malcolm - Panther (ditto)
3. Mother of Runes - Cleric Disciple (Magic card)
4. Moon - Cat
5. Ajani Goldmane - Panther (ironic name, Magic card)
6. Barktooth Warbeard - Dire Wolf (name of an actual Magic card)
7. Eternal Dalek - Fire Archon (harsh, distorted voice)
8. Brian Griffin - Dog
9. Garfield - Panther
10. Scooby Doo - Dire Wolf
11. Maple Willow Aspen - Cleric Disciple (a cookie to whoever gets the reference)
Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
Post edited by arontimes on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    arontimes wrote: »
    11. Maple Willow Aspen - Cleric Disciple (a cookie to whoever gets the reference)

Well... one of my cleric companions is called Branwen. I know what you're talking about.

I did find it interesting to see companion names as well, even if a huge number of them were variants on healbot and meatshield.

My dire wolves are White Fang, Jack London, and Albert Payson Terhune.

My GWF travels with Farnese and Schierke, who are companions in the manga from which he takes his name, look, and inspiration.

I have a man-at-arms named Jeff Vader.

When I get some cats, I have already decided upon the names Party Cat and Cat Rackham.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Hello, my name is Branwen! I will yoin your pahty!" Have a cookie, sir or ma'am. *hands a cookie to beckylunatic*
    Member of Grievance.

• destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thought there was an option in interface settings that shows companion names as well as your own name and such?
  • grokcgrokc Member Posts: 41
    edited July 2013
    My phoera is named Jean Grey
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I'd also like this, as long as it is off by default and toggle-able for those who don't want it.

Some of my characters' pet names are:
    - Myste
    - Blue Eyes
    - Smedeley
    - Dur Dannor
    - Midnight
    - Dweomerkeeper
    - Zeb's Apprentice
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd take the opposite stance, and have it be on by default, with a toggle to turn it off.

Was my Barry and Joe joke too subtle? *pout*
    Member of Grievance.

• timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    It will be ok if it is an option for each player to toggle. Just do not make it like before where the names are visible to all.

Anyway, why bother, when you can just name yourself something outrageous but safe, just to stand out. Try IWillNotHealYou, Best Wizard Ever or USA Next Top Model (real names I seen while doing the Blacklake skirmish for the past few days)
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • slimjim150slimjim150 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hingle McCringleberry
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Considering what some folks name their own characters. Im really fine with not being able to see what they name their companions. Id much rather have the name non visible. Then to have to see it, but not having any way to click on the pet in order to target it to see who owns it. Making reporting them hit and miss, at best.