test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are we sharing costumes between games?

Comments

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 3,694 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes changing the model and giving it better mapping does mean it is different. Or did you fail Game Design 101.

That's like claiming that by slapping on some novelty toy antlers on a cat that I've instantly created a new breed.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    That's like claiming that by slapping on some novelty toy antlers on a cat that I've instantly created a new breed.

Uhh...No it would be like opening up a cat and adding in another leg and calling it a new cat. I would call that a monster.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Member Posts: 2,569 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To me it would depend on what they are sharing. Character creation from CO? Hell yeah!
    Costumes from CO? Uhh...no

To be fair, CO has WAY too many fantasy type costumes. But a lot of pieces would look great here. I'm just still baffled as to why CO needed 3 different fantasy armor/clothing costume sets altogether.
    edited July 2013
    Uhh...No it would be like opening up a cat and adding in another leg and calling it a new cat. I would call that a monster.

Well at least you're admitting they used the same base... which is frankly obvious concerning two games that share engines for easy porting of assets.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Member Posts: 3,514 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To me it would depend on what they are sharing. Character creation from CO? Hell yeah!
    Costumes from CO? Uhh...no

Are you kidding? We have a ton of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that doesn't even belong in Champions, like evil demon magic armor complete with dark demon death smoke snakes evil dragon evil that would fit way better in Neverwinter.

We also have a couple of tights.

Edit: yeah what Cyber said.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Well at least you're admitting they used the same base... which is frankly obvious concerning two games that share engines for easy porting of assets.

Why is it concerning?
    edited July 2013
    Why is it concerning?

Not big on English syntax are you?
    edited July 2013
    You're reading it wrong. This thing concerns two games that share the same engine. Not that it's concerning that two games share an engine.
    edited July 2013
    Not big on English syntax are you?

And if English isnt my primary language then what?
    You're reading it wrong. This thing concerns two games that share the same engine. Not that it's concerning that two games share an engine.

Thank you for not just bashing on me because I read it wrong.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So ever hear of concept art to actual modeling? There are differences between the two. Who cares if the nose bridge is set up differently or the length of the points? The point is that it's essentially the same piece from CO being used in NW

@Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited July 2013
    And if English isnt my primary language then what?

Then clearly you must be taught what this particular use of "concerning" means:

con•cern•ing (kənˈsɜr nɪŋ)

prep.
    relating to; regarding; about.
    edited July 2013
    Then clearly you must be taught what this particular use of "concerning" means:

con•cern•ing (kənˈsɜr nɪŋ)

prep.
    relating to; regarding; about.

Now make that same statement without being as condescending.
    edited July 2013
    Now make that same statement without being as condescending.

You'd have better luck squeezing water from a stone.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are you kidding? We have a ton of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that doesn't even belong in Champions, like evil demon magic armor complete with dark demon death smoke snakes evil dragon evil that would fit way better in Neverwinter..

Eh, stuff like that is pretty common in the various superhero comic universes. Admittedly, not as the main "big name" characters, but there's still a good number of magic-based heroes and villains. (And demonic entities, again both hero and villain.) Heck, DC even has Shining Knight, an actual dude with chainmail & a sword... so CO could get some use out of Neverwinter assets. ;)
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    4ebb7b86da152b24fde06c46f353bbff1372461981.jpg

Did that Lliira chick just borrow something from Champions Online?

The Superhero dude from the left...His mask....

Cstore_Display_Goldenage_01.png

:p

Does Neverwinter have the same graphics engine as Champions Online or did they have to recreate it from scratch?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And you are so sure of yourself.
    Where did you get your info? Pulled it from thin air?
    Sounds like he got his info the same place you got yours then , its a free to play game that the majority are playing for free , what do you expect? a full new outfit that the art department has spent weeks creating?
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    So ever hear of concept art to actual modeling? There are differences between the two. Who cares if the nose bridge is set up differently or the length of the points? The point is that it's essentially the same piece from CO being used in NW

So what? Never played CO. No clue what kind of models they have. But if anything they have fits the Forgotten Realms setting then why shouldn't they save some time by just improving them and copying it over? As long as its not the *ONLY* way they populate the game with stuff I don't care. And I'm sure many others feel the same way.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Does Neverwinter have the same graphics engine as Champions Online or did they have to recreate it from scratch?

They do have the same engine, apparently, but a bit of time studying the two masks shows that they're different enough that it's 99% certain they made a new model. Proportions of the star arms are different, the eyeholes are different, the nose is different, etc. Yes, the basic idea/concept is the same. But that's about it..... trying to convert the CO model into the NWO one would probably take longer than just modeling a new one, given how many changes there are.
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

They copied a lot of stuff over.

Bad stuff mainly, AD xploit for example.

And then the good things like the "change character" (that has been in STO for yonks) they left out and had to add in later with a patch.

Looking at how this game has gone since launch (what Cryptic like to call Open Beta but everyone knows was a launch) I would suggest that the biggest problem is that no one at Cryptic seems capable of even the most basic joined-up-thinking.

If they were we'd never have seen the AH/AD xploit, and we would have had character change (rather than having to re-log) right from the start.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

All Cryptic are currently built on the same engine.
    edited July 2013

It may be made from scratch, we don't really know, but regardless, it is pretty much the same game engine, just updated more than Champions and Star Trek. All three games, same engines.
    edited July 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Eh, stuff like that is pretty common in the various superhero comic universes. Admittedly, not as the main "big name" characters, but there's still a good number of magic-based heroes and villains. (And demonic entities, again both hero and villain.) Heck, DC even has Shining Knight, an actual dude with chainmail & a sword... so CO could get some use out of Neverwinter assets. ;)

Yes, I'm quite aware of D-List heroes with 'fantasy' elements. That's cool, whatever floats your boat.

It just kinda sucks when simple things like standard Superhero costumes, tech-related costumes, and other things get jumped in favor of these things. CO already has WAAAAAAY too much mysticism. Hell, the last zone is pretty much Buffy the Vampire slayer, and it's kind of a slap in the face when you go from fighting giant mecha robots to.... vampires.
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I'm quite aware of D-List heroes with 'fantasy' elements. That's cool, whatever floats your boat.

It just kinda sucks when simple things like standard Superhero costumes, tech-related costumes, and other things get jumped in favor of these things. CO already has WAAAAAAY too much mysticism. Hell, the last zone is pretty much Buffy the Vampire slayer, and it's kind of a slap in the face when you go from fighting giant mecha robots to.... vampires.

Yeah it's like if the last zone in Neverwinter was in the land of Ooo from Adventure Time.

No wait, that would be AMAZING.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Actually that kind of makes me want to go check out CO. But I probably won't. Having to much fun here.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok. I had no facts to back up the 'Both pieces are same'. Was not my intention at all.
    The thing was, just that both NW and CO are Cryptic games. And IF you have played CO, you most likely had same "brainfart" about the Starmask when you saw Lliira chick picture. I didn't expect Devs to come and answer the title question.
    Things may have blown abit overboard.
    And thing is, most of us here are long time veterans of CO and have some knowledge, more or less, about the stuff shared between all 3 games.
    And some are"little" frustrated, like me, that 2 of the games get goodies and 1 doesn't.
    Reason why i'm playing NW now and not so much CO.
    Peace all.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2013

What about the A-List heroes with fantasy elements?
    edited July 2013
    What about the A-List heroes with fantasy elements?

Those are completely overshadowed by the ones that don't have fantasy elements.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Actually, Neverwinter character models more closely resemble the ones from Star Trek Online. A lot of the graphics remind me of that game.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited July 2013
    Those are completely overshadowed by the ones that don't have fantasy elements.

Like how Thor was overshadowed in The Avengers? Didnt he have his own movie as well with a sequel coming up?
    edited July 2013
    Like how Thor was overshadowed in The Avengers? Didnt he have his own movie as well with a sequel coming up?

Like how Thor was such a major title in the comics? And if I'm not mistaken, that movie didn't do as well as Iron Man, Man of Steel, The Dark knight saga, or even X-Men.

Not to mention? You look at his entire getup and it would be quite easy to say that it could work in other themes.