test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control wizards and PVP.

capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
Message to the Devs.

You may feel you’ve got the balancing right in PVP. I disagree with respect to the current state of the CW's. I’m not saying nerf all others what im saying is buff the class.

For example:

The Stealth mechanics of the rogues COS spamming constantly. This gets old real fast. Stealth COS spam Stealth COS spam. We don’t have the health pool and damage mitigation to do anything other than teleport away.

The rogues ITC immunity to CCs and dodge mechanics to evade the cc’s.

The GWF insane ability to Heal and stun lock us to death combined with their immunity to CCs. (they needed some love but might be a bit much)

The stun locking effects of a GF in close coupled with their 40’ gap closer stuns and high burst damage.

The end PVP game is built around stacking Tenes. You designed it that way and that’s how it is. So classes with big health pools now do massive burst damage.

The CW class is now relegated to support class that relies on the other classes to give it momentum. We can still rack up good kills but only on the back of the others work.

If your not going to boost our CC times and your going to make other classes immune in any case then the survivability or burst damage of the CW has to be changed in PVP. If you can reduce our CC times in PVP then you can make other changes that don’t effect PVE.

P.S please fix all our powers and feats bugs.
Post edited by capgarnas on

Comments

• Options
    olcsonnolcsonn Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You do realize that if those melee classes are reaching you and not getting CCed fast then you failed. CW are masters are CC locking someone down, and they are one of two classes that can easily 1 shot people. You're point about "CW class is now relegated to support class" is what they always were... The CONTROL Wizard was never meant to be leading DPS, they are a CONTROL class, or crowd CONTROL class... The CW can do massive damage despite all of that though and have seen them get high 25k + crits before and once or twice I've seen crits up there with the rogues (but even I'll admit that is rare). There is no other class that can lay down the amount of daze, stuns, and locks that the CW can and that is why you feel like you die a lot, because people realize this and target you second to clerics. If you want to live longer and do better in PvP then assist the DCs, or team up with a TR and you will be amazed at your score. If you are playing a high end CW and feel robbed, trust me when I say as a TR I feel robbed when I can barely move when dealing with you.
  • Options
    nemesismxnemesismx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PVP is meant to be a game of rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock. Reality is everyone excels at something and everyone fails at something. They need to rebalance CC in general when it comes to pvp and when they do that, watch them rebalance the pvp damage as well. The game is so young that it's like the devs haven't been able to take a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> before hearing all the complaining.
  • Options
    kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Let me ask you... Is the control wizard to own all? Is that basically what you are asking for? You had a gripe about every class (other than DC who most cant actually pvp with including me).

The trick is sometimes you have to run and bide your time for the right time to strike, and that means maybe not running in like you are the tank. I can't tell you how many times I have seen CW's lead the charge.
  • Options
    dravkwndravkwn Member Posts: 88
    edited July 2013
    I tried a control wizard for a little bit didn't really like the class though as it was a mix of dps and CC I wanted a totally dominating option where I had little to no dps but absolute control with a pet or other players to take care of the damage. Hoping a future paragon is like this.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I say the CW is the class with the least control. That being said, PVP is all about learning to play as a team. I love playing my CW in PVP, and I play all five classes (and I even have a slot for a 6th once it comes out!). My role: Keep my distance, RoE, CoI, EF and Ice Knife when it pops. That's it. If someone tries to close the gap, telly away or telly to my melee teammates. If you're truly playing as a team your mates will see the RoE green and move in for the kill. And if they really know what they're doing they'll go for Cleric first, TR and CW next.

Simple stuff.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    nukeyoonukeyoo Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    scarlet-blade-me-gusta_fb_1211268.jpg
  • Options
    llantissllantiss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    +1 CW were nerfed to the ground and furthermore, other classes that were already good against them were super buffed.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    olcsonn wrote: »
    You do realize that if those melee classes are reaching you and not getting CCed fast then you failed. CW are masters are CC locking someone down, and they are one of two classes that can easily 1 shot people. You're point about "CW class is now relegated to support class" is what they always were... The CONTROL Wizard was never meant to be leading DPS, they are a CONTROL class, or crowd CONTROL class... The CW can do massive damage despite all of that though and have seen them get high 25k + crits before and once or twice I've seen crits up there with the rogues (but even I'll admit that is rare). There is no other class that can lay down the amount of daze, stuns, and locks that the CW can and that is why you feel like you die a lot, because people realize this and target you second to clerics. If you want to live longer and do better in PvP then assist the DCs, or team up with a TR and you will be amazed at your score. If you are playing a high end CW and feel robbed, trust me when I say as a TR I feel robbed when I can barely move when dealing with you.

Dont care. You play TR. dont need to here what u "think" is the way the class performs. I do play the class a lot

I do not wish for the CW to own all. I wish for it to be competitive again becuase at present its not.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Let me ask you... Is the control wizard to own all? Is that basically what you are asking for? You had a gripe about every class (other than DC who most cant actually pvp with including me).

The trick is sometimes you have to run and bide your time for the right time to strike, and that means maybe not running in like you are the tank. I can't tell you how many times I have seen CW's lead the charge.

Dont need someone who doesnt play the class telling what they "think" the class can or cant do.

Its Simple.....CW players just like the other toons wish to be competitive. We got nerfed and the others got buffed. Its not balanced.
  • Options
    nukeyoonukeyoo Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd be happy with just the bugged powers and feats fixed... If you can get us buffed too.. el oh el.... I won't argue
  • Options
    darkrahoddarkrahod Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As a high level CW i will admit that the only thing that CW needs is the ability to CC in pvp now for those who say we do are not seeing the many other that get hit with cc and with in a half second are free of it which is way to slow for us caster to get of the next spell i have played GWF and I will say that i can easly get around a CW cc with ease which is fine but if that is going to left into place beef up are casting times i don't know how many times i watched my health bar drop 50-75% because a TR who was Stealth got the jump on me. I dont want other classes get nerfed they are fine. but CW need something to bring back the CC or lower casting time alot more. hmm... Spell Pen to give us a better chance to land a CC on a target would be nice but thats it. So all you TR's and GWF's who say that you can't handle a CW ....lol.....read your abilities and you will see that you can with ease avoid CC a bit too much.
  • Options
    cythrulcythrul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

You're missing the whole point.

As it stands right now, we can't control distance because half of the time the other player is invulnerable to CC.

Rogue - Stealth and Hard to Catch (or whatever its called), GF - Block, which we have to cast MM to knock down the bar, however generally the space gap isn't enough to get the bar down, especially when they have a ranged knock down. GWF - Rage allows them to close the gap at a quick pace AND become invulnerable to CC. The rage/recovery builds that are fad right now are particularly overpowered, in my opinion.

I'm not saying I have no chance of winning these encounters... as I do, however it is usually due to outgearing the other player significantly, or it is by the other player playing extremely poorly.
  • Options
    revocainerevocaine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited July 2013
    As it stands right now every other class had better 'control' than CW. So shut it with all this stupid 'Control Wizards are supposed to control and not dps' nonsense.

I don't expect any buffs, as they were nerfed for a reason. But if cryptic decided to nerf the **** out of the only viable skills/feats of CW, they could have at least shown the decency to fix half the skills/feats that don't even work/are bugged. Is that too much to ask for?
  • Options
    bfnc19bfnc19 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    revocaine wrote: »
    As it stands right now every other class had better 'control' than CW. So shut it with all this stupid 'Control Wizards are supposed to control and not dps' nonsense.

I don't expect any buffs, as they were nerfed for a reason. But if cryptic decided to nerf the **** out of the only viable skills/feats of CW, they could have at least shown the decency to fix half the skills/feats that don't even work/are bugged. Is that too much to ask for?

so far the only class the we can actually control its DC and other CW hella
    the Control class are :
    GWF - Once got u in kd stun u warp in respawn point ( - no time for dodge teleport or other skill )
    GF - once landed first kd succesfull u are 80% dead ( exce. its a tank GF )
    TR - why waste controls Stealth and spawn CoS ( CW its like killing rats in town )

and THE great CONTROL wizard :
    attenmpt to control any of above ....oh shiet to bad hes imune
  • Options
    danteichigo3danteichigo3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13
    edited July 2013
    olc i just read "You do realize that if those melee classes are reaching you and not getting CCed fast then you failed." and stopped , stfu how a cw will CC unstopable and itc? nubs everywhere , cws needs a buff for pvp cuz with my gwf and rogue i can kill em really easy , clerics too the pvp atm is about gf , gwf and rogue , that`s bs
  • Options
    roundeyeddevilroundeyeddevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Our main pvp team uses 2 CWs and they both seem to do VERY well. One of their main advantages seems to be their teleport (ie dodge) x3. If you learn the other class attack animations you can time your dodges and basically make people waist their encounter powers. Also, have you tried Ray of Enfeeble x2 + Ice Knife? It pretty much instagibs most people.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree with this thread. Please nerf CWs heavily as they are horribly overpowered in PvP.
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    Message to the Devs.
    The CW class is now relegated to support class that relies on the other classes to give it momentum. We can still rack up good kills but only on the back of the others work.

Looking at it like this, I think you just gave the devs a compliment for a job well done ;) It's a team 5v5, right?

Permastealth is not so much a problem, you just need to walk around more. Trust me, many more people are picking up on this and the ones that do make life not so fun for a TR, especially the squisy permastealthers.

CoS....the weakness is that it takes ages to get the full load back again, but the damage is insane. Be happy CW's got a dodge, use it.

As for stunlocking, the GWF have two dailies, a knockdown and an interrupt that can be feated to stun. They've got plenty of weakness trying to put them on you though. But GF's... I don't know... either they lock you or you kill them...skill and gear I guess.

And a damage immunity lasts only a few seconds.

But what makes CW's actually about control, even though every other class has some cc too, is the speed and versatility of that control. CW's can do potentially everything, and quite well too; prone, daze, slow, push, pull and choke.

And use the arcane buildup to your advantage....it really does add up.
  • Options
    nerhesinerhesi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

This is someone new to PvP. As it has been made clear before, if you don't realise thar TRs, GWFs and GWs are the pvp kings, you're still in baby-mode pvp.

CWs are sometimes ok in that.. with a daily up, they can maybe one shot a TR or another CW or so. However, if you're losing to a CW as decently geared anything else, you've got issues, not vice versa. CC doesn't exist in this game against classes with CC immunity/stealth/massive defence, etc etc
  • Options
    gnominiongnominion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited July 2013
    I play a CW as my main. I agree that the rogues breaking holds is a pain, but it has not made them impossible to kill. One on one, I can beat almost any class.. Honestly, the cleric is my biggest challenge with GWF right behind them. With rogues I tend to teleport a lot more than other classes, but I still hold my own really well.

this is coming from a CW that screwed up my build and need to repec feats badly, but doesn't have the AD to do so yet. I believe it is all about the powers you choose for PVP the matches.

I haven't PVP'd with all the classes yet. CW is all I have experience with.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    cythrul wrote: »
    You're missing the whole point.

As it stands right now, we can't control distance because half of the time the other player is invulnerable to CC.

Rogue - Stealth and Hard to Catch (or whatever its called), GF - Block, which we have to cast MM to knock down the bar, however generally the space gap isn't enough to get the bar down, especially when they have a ranged knock down. GWF - Rage allows them to close the gap at a quick pace AND become invulnerable to CC. The rage/recovery builds that are fad right now are particularly overpowered, in my opinion.

I'm not saying I have no chance of winning these encounters... as I do, however it is usually due to outgearing the other player significantly, or it is by the other player playing extremely poorly.

This is what i find as well. The animation time of chillstrike is a killer. I find that the when the GWF and GF advance there is limited time to nuke them down. Ussually for a gf you need to do it between 80-40' and then they are in at will closing range. Then its the teleport close teleport close game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Our main pvp team uses 2 CWs and they both seem to do VERY well. One of their main advantages seems to be their teleport (ie dodge) x3. If you learn the other class attack animations you can time your dodges and basically make people waist their encounter powers. Also, have you tried Ray of Enfeeble x2 + Ice Knife? It pretty much instagibs most people.

Okay i dont think you read what i said. We are strong off the back of a winning team. You run premades enough said.

I almost never lose to other CW. Yes have used rays tabbed. Yes if we get 2 rays off and an iceknife it can kill. But what if you cast that iceknife and the following happens. Which happens all too often

GF blocks up. Rogue dodges. GWF deflects even when they arent immune. Its not like SE with a no miss capability.
  • Options
    no2uno2u Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only class that should really give CWS a lot of trouble is gwf. But even then they would have to be outgeared to really make it hard.

Rogues: blinking twice cuts cos DMG by over half. Then it becomes a skill game of how good you are at dodging lashing and/or shocking if they didn't use lurkers like most stealth builds do.

Gf: if he blocks anything he cannot kill you in a stun rotation. Their high DMG build requires a full block meter. Fair trade if he starts blocking all your cc.

Clerics/wizards: battle of attrition and crits more or less. Whoever dodges best wins.

I'm not saying wizards are op at all. But generally speaking if you're getting destroyed by other classes you are either not as good a player as you think you are or you are terribly out geared/enchanted and that's the problem, not your class.

I play a cleric and really the only class that destroys me is super geared gfs because I have no way to force a block out of them. I just have to try and dodge their knockdowns. Or die.
  • Options
    conchitobananoconchitobanano Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited July 2013
    The real problem comes in Dungeons where suddenly the CW attract all mobs aggro on them... its ridiculous...next to rogues,CWs are the next more squishable class and with every monster going after us is impossible sometimes to cast before getin 3 , 2 or 1 shot on the spot...
    Also pvp is stupid since CWs are the only class that dont have some sort of protection agains cc unless u blink...but if the server lags,you still get ccd while blinking or right before blinking with the animation on progress..
  • Options
    linusgorplinusgorp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 47
    edited July 2013
    I've played every class to lv60.. And CW is by far the easiest to play with a non-existent skillcap (I was bored straight from 1 to 60).

If at all, the class needs another nerf... And please.. Learn to play your braindead class, before you start crying all over again..
  • Options
    modimormodimor Member Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    CW's dominate Clerics other CW's and will probobly own the new ranged class aswell.
    Thats ranged for you, stand behind your melee and pew pew. If you end up in a scenario were you have no sustaineble melee vs alot of melee you're supose to be ****ed. Every game with decent pvp ballance melee have advantege over ranged. If they don't, there's no point of having melee classes tbh. You can easily do good on a CW if you have the melee support on your group. But moast matches are filled with CW's and TR's and they gonna have a tough time against oposing teams with much more ballanced setups. But I agree with you on TR's. It's pretty silly that they can hit for 15k without even breaking stealth.
  • Options
    farcursefarcurse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited July 2013
    i play cw - tr - cleric - gwf - 43 gf and when i am on my TR cw are my fav targets couse they cant do squat when i am on my cw its reversed gwf is a beast can take down a cw a dc a tr doesnt matter 1vs1 its a sure win

the only class that is currently overpowered is gf ..2 much dmg

my issue whit cw atm is half the skills and feats are 1 broken or 2 not working as they describe ( aka intended)
  • Options
    kronikerkroniker Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    linusgorp wrote: »
    I've played every class to lv60.. And CW is by far the easiest to play with a non-existent skillcap (I was bored straight from 1 to 60).

If at all, the class needs another nerf... And please.. Learn to play your braindead class, before you start crying all over again..

Cool story bro.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    no2u wrote: »
    The only class that should really give CWS a lot of trouble is gwf. But even then they would have to be outgeared to really make it hard.

Rogues: blinking twice cuts cos DMG by over half. Then it becomes a skill game of how good you are at dodging lashing and/or shocking if they didn't use lurkers like most stealth builds do.

Gf: if he blocks anything he cannot kill you in a stun rotation. Their high DMG build requires a full block meter. Fair trade if he starts blocking all your cc.

Clerics/wizards: battle of attrition and crits more or less. Whoever dodges best wins.

I'm not saying wizards are op at all. But generally speaking if you're getting destroyed by other classes you are either not as good a player as you think you are or you are terribly out geared/enchanted and that's the problem, not your class.

I play a cleric and really the only class that destroys me is super geared gfs because I have no way to force a block out of them. I just have to try and dodge their knockdowns. Or die.

You play a DC right. You dont play the class. To say it nicely how would you even know ?

So funny getting 2 cents from people who dont even play the class.

I will give u a ribbon for participating.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    modimor wrote: »
    CW's dominate Clerics other CW's and will probobly own the new ranged class aswell.
    Thats ranged for you, stand behind your melee and pew pew. If you end up in a scenario were you have no sustaineble melee vs alot of melee you're supose to be ****ed. Every game with decent pvp ballance melee have advantege over ranged. If they don't, there's no point of having melee classes tbh. You can easily do good on a CW if you have the melee support on your group. But moast matches are filled with CW's and TR's and they gonna have a tough time against oposing teams with much more ballanced setups. But I agree with you on TR's. It's pretty silly that they can hit for 15k without even breaking stealth.

I really dont see how we will own the rogue damage level ranged class.

Im not really sure if i subscribe to your melee must beat ranged theory. Why must they. Surely there must be a point of balance. It certainly isnt against a GF within their at will range.