test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the point in mount tokens?

nyxandrianyxandria Member Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Personally I think that the money you get is really way too low. You get the mount at level 20 and by that time I only had 3 gold. The mount costs 5 gold.
You do get 3 mount tokens however. I used all mine and I got enough for the mount but what was the point?
Why does the mount cost not get lowered or gold earned from quests increased?
I assume they saw this flaw later on and simply implemented tokens instead of making changes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You want the real answer? Okay.

They are there to give you the sense of emptyness. They are there to tempt you into buying a zen store mount. They know full well you won't have the gold to buy it by the time you reach 20. No, they want you to simmer for an extra 5 levels in the hopes that your anxiety over no longer having a mount, or realizing how slow they are and how insanely easy it is to be knocked off them.... will lure you right into the zen stores arms.

Too real? Oh well.
  • mardeab83mardeab83 Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    You want the real answer? Okay.

They are there to give you the sense of emptyness. They are there to tempt you into buying a zen store mount. They know full well you won't have the gold to buy it by the time you reach 20. No, they want you to simmer for an extra 5 levels in the hopes that your anxiety over no longer having a mount, or realizing how slow they are and how insanely easy it is to be knocked off them.... will lure you right into the zen stores arms.

Too real? Oh well.

^^ this.
    just trash them, they take up bag space I have ear marked for purples.
    waste.of.time.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well the mount tokens last for 5 game hours each and 15 hours is plenty of time to level to 25 or 30. I had the gold to purchase a mount by L20. I just didn't until I have around 8g at level 24 or so. Then I bought a Founders pack and discarded the tokens on my alts. :P
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To be fair by the time the mount tokens run out you should have enough gold to get a mount.
  • romanodogromanodog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    To be fair by the time the mount tokens run out you should have enough gold to get a mount.

Yea, this. Everyone I know had time to use the tokens until they had enough gold.
  • levander2levander2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 54
    edited July 2013
    Why didn't the chicken cross the road? Because he didn't have a mount.

That tale is analogous to what you're going through. I'm here with your pacifier so you can rest easy knowing someone is here for you.
  • nyxandrianyxandria Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    I never said that it isn't enough time to get a mount guys..
    I said there is no point in giving out tokens instead of letting you buy the mount but I guess it's to force you to buy zen.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find them not worth the price. the zones are so small I just run. I have 4 lvl 60's and 1 5 gold mount. If I could i'd get my money back for the one I have.
  • moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    I find them not worth the price. the zones are so small I just run. I have 4 lvl 60's and 1 5 gold mount. If I could i'd get my money back for the one I have.

Maybe because you've never used a +110% speed mount you think it's not worth having. The 5g mounts don't even compare to the +110% mounts. Do you have a GWF? imagine having movement speed slighter faster than GWF's sprint with infinite stamina. Even short trips from the bank to the auction house broker is faster on a mount even with the time it takes to hop on/off your mount. You just have to get use to hitting 6 when you enter zones.

For PVP they are a must have.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is careful design.

They do not want excessive gold readily available to low level characters or increase the cumulative gold available at endgame, for obvious reasons. You are basically asking to more than double the amount of gold you receive by those low levels...

The mount tokens last a long time and you get many of them. By the time you are done with even a fraction of them, you should definitely have enough gold for your own mount.

And like poster above me said, 110% mount is probably the best single investment you could make in the game (especially the account-wide Zen shop ones) other than an augment class pet. How you make that investment is entirely up to you, which is more than can be said of most freemium games.
  • zellexzellex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What I was going to post doesn't even need to be said...we all know why.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nyxandria wrote: »
    You get the mount at level 20 and by that time I only had 3 gold.

Seriously? When I hit level 20 I had 6 gold on my GWF and had 8 gold on my GF.
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »

That is something people don't even realize.. I had 4 gold when I got to 20, and 1 token was enough to get to 5.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nyxandria wrote: »
    I never said that it isn't enough time to get a mount guys..
    I said there is no point in giving out tokens instead of letting you buy the mount but I guess it's to force you to buy zen.

That makes no sense. If they wanted to <tinfoilhat>force you to buy zen</tinfoilhat>.... they would leave the mount price at 5g, and NOT give you the mount tokens. Which would leave you without a mount at lv20, trying to find some way to get 2-3 more gold so that you could afford one.....

I have no idea why they decided that mounts should cost 25+ levels of gold rather than 20. But giving you a free mount until you can save up that gold? Isn't forcing you to get a mount some other way. It's just the opposite.

edit: huh, not sure how people have so much gold at 20. I've leveled maybe a dozen characters to that point, and have had 2.5-3g on each of them. Perhaps it because I don't ID every single green item? (except for the lv29-30 range in Neverdeath, when you start getting lv30 items, but haven't started getting t2 ID scroll drops, I've never bought any ID scrolls until greaters at lv60.)
    edited July 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    That makes no sense. If they wanted to <tinfoilhat>force you to buy zen</tinfoilhat>.... they would leave the mount price at 5g, and NOT give you the mount tokens. Which would leave you without a mount at lv20, trying to find some way to get 2-3 more gold so that you could afford one.....

That's not how a company makes expensive sales.

What almost every one of them does is gives you a chance to either test drive it yourself or see someone else use it. This lets you get an appreciation for the item, which makes you want to buy it more. When they give you something good that's time limited, it leaves you wanting for more of it.

One of the best examples of this I have found was in Atlantica Online. They'd give you a free Teleport License for one week. The idea is it let you fast travel to any of the 50 or so towns without having to go into a town first. You also didn't have to pay the fee to fast travel to a different town, which could get pretty expensive sometimes. When that Teleport License expired, people felt really limited. As such, almost every single high level still bought the Teleport License and a bit of a bonus in a pack for like $10 a month. They basically got to keep their Free 2 Play/Micro-transaction description, but also got to collect a subscription fee every month from a lot of their players.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The 3 mount tokens are a generous "gimme" from the devs to allow you to use a mount until you can afford to buy a permanent one. I don't see this as a problem - in fact, it's more of a friendly convenience feature for new players. Once I got my first character to 60, I just bought and mailed mounts and companions to my later alts. I'm not really sure why people are even complaining about this...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • seldoniapseldoniap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The 3 mount tokens are a generous "gimme" from the devs to allow you to use a mount until you can afford to buy a permanent one. I don't see this as a problem - in fact, it's more of a friendly convenience feature for new players. Once I got my first character to 60, I just bought and mailed mounts and companions to my later alts. I'm not really sure why people are even complaining about this...

Because some people feel the need to complain no matter what. *shrug* Call it human nature or whatever you want. Everything could be PERFECT in game and there would still be someone complaining about it.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I thought it was plenty. 50% speed is good especially with GWF :) Do you need 110% in NW? I don't think so. If it was open world like WoW, DAoC, AC or any other large open world game, then yea. 15 hours is NOT much.

I understand that 3 tokens is kinda have dual purpose. One is to "test drive" a mount. Give you a taste what is like to move around just a little faster than normal. It does entice people to buy a mount (5g or Zen) but I don't feel it force people to buy ZEN. The devs would like you to buy Zen, but this game is design that you don't have, but you can if you want to.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    I thought it was plenty. 50% speed is good especially with GWF :) Do you need 110% in NW? I don't think so. If it was open world like WoW, DAoC, AC or any other large open world game, then yea. 15 hours is NOT much.

I understand that 3 tokens is kinda have dual purpose. One is to "test drive" a mount. Give you a taste what is like to move around just a little faster than normal. It does entice people to buy a mount (5g or Zen) but I don't feel it force people to buy ZEN. The devs would like you to buy Zen, but this game is design that you don't have, but you can if you want to.

I wouldn't want to do GG without a mount. Not that I want to do GG at all, but that's a different matter.
    edited July 2013

Oh no doubt... part of the mission to buy your first mount w/ the token involves talking to the zen vendor, (just so you don't forget that you can buy mounts w/ zen, too).

It's also a way to give players mounts for free, while still providing a reason to want to buy one of the 5G ones.

FYI, the mounts you get w/ tokens only provide a 40% speed buff, whereas the 5G ones provide a 50% speed buff.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited July 2013
    Do you need 110% in NW? I don't think so.

110% speed is downright addictive. I'm so glad I bought Zen with my AD and bought my Heavy Worg.

It not only made leveling my Guardian Fighter a lot faster, it also allows me to run past mobs I really don't feel like fighting, which was the biggest problem I found with the 5 gold horses. You're just not fast enough to outrun them with 50% speed and you get knocked off easily with 3 attacks(since most mobs late game come with 2-3 ranged).
    edited July 2013
    Oh no doubt... part of the mission to buy your first mount w/ the token involves talking to the zen vendor, (just so you don't forget that you can buy mounts w/ zen, too).

It's also a way to give players mounts for free, while still providing a reason to want to buy one of the 5G ones.

FYI, the mounts you get w/ tokens only provide a 40% speed buff, whereas the 5G ones provide a 50% speed buff.

All the T1 mounts are 50% speed increase, rental or not.
    edited July 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    All the T1 mounts are 50% speed increase, rental or not.

I'll have to get a screenshot.. the rental horses were not the same as regular T1's last time I checked.
    edited July 2013
    I'll have to get a screenshot.. the rental horses were not the same as regular T1's last time I checked.

Ahh, just checked. Looks like the rental horses got a nerf since I last used them. My apologies.
    edited July 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Ahh, just checked. Looks like the rental horses got a nerf since I last used them. My apologies.

NP... admittedly, the only time I used them was w/ my first character, which was mid-open beta.

Oh... another thing - the Lord of Waterdeep promo unlocks a "Waterdeep Horse" skin for the 5G horses - it's sort of tan & light grey.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I used mine to test out which of the cheap gold horses my characters looked the best upon.
    edited July 2013
    I used mine to test out which of the cheap gold horses my characters looked the best upon.

They really should have *all* the mounts around the area of the vendors, and they should either be targetable w/ their names showing, or have a little plaque w/ the animal's name, so we can see them clearly.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    110% speed is downright addictive. I'm so glad I bought Zen with my AD and bought my Heavy Worg.

It not only made leveling my Guardian Fighter a lot faster, it also allows me to run past mobs I really don't feel like fighting, which was the biggest problem I found with the 5 gold horses. You're just not fast enough to outrun them with 50% speed and you get knocked off easily with 3 attacks(since most mobs late game come with 2-3 ranged).

I have no doubt of it usefulness but if a player can't afford to spend a ton of money (it is ton when it is $40 for it) 5g option is not bad.

$40 mount is nice when you are alt-a-holic (like me) so for me, it is like $5 a character :)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When WOW first came out, you couldn't get a mount until lvl 40 (cap was 60). When you got the mount, it cost 100 gold. Probably double if not more than double of what most toons could even come close to attaining by that time. To top it off, the mount was a 60% speed increase. There was no option to get a 100% speed increase until you hit max lvl at a cost of 1000 gold if I am not mistaken. Been a while since I played vanilla wow :p
    In this game, my first toon had enough for a mount by lvl 20 I think. I just didn't want to buy one and clean out my money :) I didn't even fully need to use 1 token before I had enough of a gold buffer. I did buy the guardian pack though just for the fast mount on any/every toon I create. Zen mounts for 1 per toon suck cost wise (at least that is how I think it works. 1 zen mount that can be traded/sold so only useable by 1 toon). The one cost and I get a mount for every toon created was a no brainer for me. I can't even think how many lousy games I dumped 50-60 on. To pay 60 for something I really enjoy seemed to make sense. Now I have the fastest mount on all 4, soon to be 5 toons. <3 it!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All zen mounts are account unlocks, and cannot be traded or sold (because you could keep reclaiming them).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia