test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs: think SMALLER

brustlebrustle Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
TLDR: Gauntlgrym is bloated, boring, and awful. Please release simpler, higher demand things first, like Capture the Flag maps.

All you had to do, was put in a decent Capture the Flag map, a Duel option, and a few bug fixes. That would have kept me (and I think most other people) happy for another month, ESPECIALLY if you said, "next up, 1 new race, rangers, and druids!".

Instead, you've cobbled together the Monstrosity that is Gauntlgrym. When I was watching the trailer for GG, I actually, literally looked down at the date to make sure it wasn't April Fool's Day. There's Epic, and then there's just Comically Bloated and Unwieldy.

And Forced guild membership?!?! "I hate guilt politics and drama, they ruin these games for me" ... "YOU SHUT UP PLAYER YOU LOVE GUILDS CUZ I SAY YOU DO". Terrible. And sandwiching pvp between pve... you know what, I could go on for an hour, just... awful.

There are 3 types of PVP in MMO's: 1) Capture the Flag 2) Domination 3) Experimental modes of pvp that confuse and irritate players. I'll let you guess which category GG fits in.

In summation, think smaller: walk before you fly. You have a great core game here; flush out the basics a bit before you try to revolutionize the genre.
Post edited by brustle on

Comments

• Options
    druericdrueric Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    brustle wrote: »
    All you had to do, was put in a decent Capture the Flag map, a Duel option, and a few bug fixes. That would have kept me (and I think most other people) happy for another month, ESPECIALLY if you said, "next up, 1 new race, rangers, and druids!".

Instead, you've cobbled together the Monstrosity that is Gauntlgrym. When I was watching the trailer for GG, I actually, literally looked down at the date to make sure it wasn't April Fool's Day. There's Epic, and then there's just Comically Bloated and Unwieldy.

And Forced guild membership?!?! "I hate guilt politics and drama, they ruin these games for me" ... "YOU SHUT UP PLAYER YOU LOVE GUILDS CUZ I SAY YOU DO". Terrible. And sandwiching pvp between pve... you know what, I could go on for an hour, just... awful.

There are 3 types of PVP in MMO's: 1) Capture the Flag 2) Domination 3) Experimental modes of pvp that confuse and irritate players. I'll let you guess which category GG fits in.

In summation, think smaller: walk before you fly. You have a great core game here; flush out the basics a bit before you try to revolutionize the genre.

Well thats one person's opinion. One.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You're happy with GG, or even GG doesn't make you happy?
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013

no tldr sonimdisappoint
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    added TLDR summary, more or less
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    drueric wrote: »
    Well thats one person's opinion. One.

And your opinion represents how many people's opinions, exactly?
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GG is a huge success and most of the server loves it....

you sir, mr. original poster, are a very, VERY, small minority
  • Options
    azmoran11azmoran11 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    Gauntlgrym spend an hour and a half for a slim chance of a T1 item and guarenteed 5 Gyrm coins! Ya....totally worth it. /sarcasm
  • Options
    kynttilakynttila Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lichlament wrote: »

and this knowledge is based on what ?

I personally find it more entertaining to browse forums than playing the game atm.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

I think they are trying to compete against WoW which has years of development. Players expect X, Y, Z experiences and leave if they don't get them yesterday.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    dmolisher1dmolisher1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not a problem ... i dont pvp/ pve.
    So for all i care it could be removed, that way alot off the redicilous pvp character nerfs could be erased too ;)

Seriously as long as the pvp kids/ people have fun, who cares.
    I just hope there will eventually be a pvp / pve free server, without the dc selfheal nerf & simmilar.
    Bards are awesome ... music and great tales off adventures.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kynttila wrote: »
    I personally find it more entertaining to browse forums than playing the game atm.

Maybe thats because (like me) you and many others think the game have a great potential, many people are still arround forum more then ingame coz i think people are still expecting the game became better.

About GG, well i dont think is not that bad mix PvP and PvE at all but it was bad implemented im my personal opinion, mostly because u have an option to not do the PvP part... if u dont like u can always try to help the PvPers by doing the catapults, etc...
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    dmolisher1 wrote: »
    Not a problem ... i dont pvp/ pve.
    So for all i care it could be removed, that way alot off the redicilous pvp character nerfs could be erased too ;)

Seriously as long as the pvp kids/ people have fun, who cares.
    I just hope there will eventually be a pvp / pve free server, without the dc selfheal nerf & simmilar.

You dont PVP or PVE?

How do you even play the game?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

So, it hasn't been open to the live server yet, and yet "most of the server" loves it? And I'm a "very VERY small minority" based what statistics, exactly? or you pulled that directly out of your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>$?

Gee, sorry for expressing my own opinion on the forums. I should have gotten your permission first.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So, it hasn't been open to the live server yet, and yet "most of the server" loves it? And I'm a "very VERY small minority" based what statistics, exactly? or you pulled that directly out of your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>$?

Gee, sorry for expressing my own opinion on the forums. I should have gotten your permission first.

Its actually a well known fact for almost every MMO that the Forum majority is the games minority.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And your opinion represents how many people's opinions, exactly?

Ouch - great ownage.

+1
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Its actually a well known fact for almost every MMO that the Forum majority is the games minority.

I agree, absolutely. But I never claimed to be speaking for anyone else but just me, myself. Its other people on these forums that apparently think they speak for the community as a whole.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You seem to think they just popped GG out of their butts in the last month. Wrong, they simply opened a component of the game they had held in reserve until this point that they'd already built. I think you have a point in suggesting smaller incremental changes, and I agree with you there, but Gauntlgrym isn't an example of them NOT doing this. In fact, I'd say they have been doing a lot of incremental changes, though mostly around bugs and balance issue rather than new classes and races, but those will come too.
  • Options
    dmolisher1dmolisher1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Like its meant to, with friends doing quests / dungeons.
    I grew out off FPs / pvp a generation ago, and find no fun in killing other players.

Maybe i am just an old dude, who actually hope this game have some fun for an old pen & paper d&D player.
    I started playing D&D in 80`s. My first great d&d game was called: Eye off the beholder.

ANd finally i have been hiding last 5 years in DDO ( dungeons & gragons online ), making some redicilous like 20 chars, alot off them are 3 or more lifes ( true reincarnated ).
    So not like i get bored ignoring stuff like pvp / pve.
    Bards are awesome ... music and great tales off adventures.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Actually genius, GG was live on the server for a day and it was a hit...

I swear...

Some people just try so hard to find things to bit*ch and cry about....

If you only put this type of effort into actually doing something constructive...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dmolisher1 wrote: »
    Like its meant to, with friends doing quests / dungeons.
    I grew out off FPs / pvp a generation ago, and find no fun in killing other players.

PVE is player vs environment. Doing dungeons and quests is PVE.
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kvet wrote: »
    You seem to think they just popped GG out of their butts in the last month. Wrong, they simply opened a component of the game they had held in reserve until this point that they'd already built. I think you have a point in suggesting smaller incremental changes, and I agree with you there, but Gauntlgrym isn't an example of them NOT doing this. In fact, I'd say they have been doing a lot of incremental changes, though mostly around bugs and balance issue rather than new classes and races, but those will come too.

Completely broken component. Oops, it broke.
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Actually genius, GG was live on the server for a day and it was a hit...

I swear...

Some people just try so hard to find things to bit*ch and cry about....

If you only put this type of effort into actually doing something constructive...

It was such a hit that many players were stuck there and couldn't port outside the map.
  • Options
    alagos77alagos77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited June 2013

I feel sorry for you that you only know this instanced pseudo PvP <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. To this day DAoC had the best PvP ever in any MMO I played and it had neither Capture the Flag nor Domination game modes. You had 3 realms, keeps, defenders, craftable rams and tribocks, epic fights in an open non instanced map, relics that gave bonuses to all players when captured and even a PvE dungeon that was only accessible to the realm that had captured the most keeps. But you weren't done with just opening the PvE dungeon, you also had to kill all the players of the realm that had access before.. and those players could prove quite resilient sometimes.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    alagos77 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for you that you only know this instanced pseudo PvP <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. To this day DAoC had the best PvP ever in any MMO I played and it had neither Capture the Flag nor Domination game modes. You had 3 realms, keeps, defenders, craftable rams and tribocks, epic fights in an open non instanced map, relics that gave bonuses to all players when captured and even a PvE dungeon that was only accessible to the realm that had captured the most keeps. But you weren't done with just opening the PvE dungeon, you also had to kill all the players of the realm that had access before.. and those players could prove quite resilient sometimes.

that sounds pretty badas$.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nikitaoz wrote: »
    It was such a hit that many players were stuck there and couldn't port outside the map.

Yes, it was a hit, all day i sat in GG and zone chat was alive with compliments and comments on how exciting it was and how people had fun.
    A glitch did nothing to take away from the overall design.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

And all of them fail,a nd are totally destructive to the PvE portion (90%+) of the game.

The sooner MMORPG Devs wake up and ditch PvP, or at the least have it totally unconnected to the PvE part of the the game, the better the MMORPG industry will be.

Only one MMORPG game has managed to implement PvP without having it totally destroy the class functionality and synergy of PvE, and it managed that by keeping PvP and PvE 100% totally separate.

IMO the very worst thing any MMORPG Dev team can do is listen to the PvPers.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2013
    Yes, it was a hit, all day i sat in GG and zone chat was alive with compliments and comments on how exciting it was and how people had fun.
    A glitch did nothing to take away from the overall design.

Really? I spent a while sat in GG zone and the chat was filled with people going "Is this it?" and "... they've seriously released this on a timer?!"
  • Options
    goodguythatguygoodguythatguy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since the first Everquest I always had a feeling or a belief, right or wrong that it would be worth it for game developers to focus on solidifying what they've already created instead of only adding more content. That being said, I like more content as well, and I think it's a bit of a balancing act, which I can empathize with for sure.

So with Everquest I thought "Man, it would be cool if they released an expansion that didn't add any new content, but only improved what is already there. Maybe better character models, better class balance, more variety in mobs and gameplay mechanics" and I think that with Everquest they actually did that to some degree, but didn't upkeep that approach over the years.

The same with World of Warcraft. When Wrath Of the Lich King came out I thought "Man, I wish they would stop adding new content (which was mostly recycled content, I think) and just focus on improving what is already there for an expansion"

So, I want to finish this by saying, I'm not against new content, I'm not saying I have all the answers and I'm perfectly willing to admit that I might not know what the heck I'm talking about. Let's just assume my opinion is only mine, no one elses and it makes no sense what-so-ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So, from what I'm reading in /zone, I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a minority. In fact, my general sense is that people are actually not complaining as much about GG today as they were yesterday... because they're already over it. "What's the point?", is the most common thing I read. PVE gear is not an upgrade, PVP feels watery (more like a pve with enemies).

DAOC: I played DAOC. It was amazing at the time, but our expectations were a lot lower. Nostalgia is a funny thing: people tend to remember a past that never happened (balance? whats balance?!). But hey, DAOC is still up and running, feel free to play it! (bet you won't :) )

PVE and PVP in MMO's: some of us, for reasons I can't explain, really like to PVP in MMO's. But you're right, generally people like to either PVP or PVE, and which is one reason that smushing them together is such a terrible idea (looking at you alterac valley, and now you too GG). And yes, its pretty much impossible to balance both PVE and PVP at the same time. The games that do it best, IMO, treat them separately. Basically, it feels good to be overpowered in PVE (NPC's don't generally complain), but you need to be completely equal in PVP. Making some abilities PVE-only is a good way to do this.

But this is only my opinion! This is just how I see it.
  • Options
    gaatorgaator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    TLDR: Gauntlgrym is bloated, boring, and awful. Please release simpler, higher demand things first, like Capture the Flag maps.

Heres another opinion, one that covers every opinion in my entire guild of 40-50 players. GG sucks. Boring. Waste of time. Buggy. Waste of time. Not fun. Buggy. Did I say GG sucks already?