test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nerfing Protecting Caravan

Comments

• Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, how does farming it on 6 characters really help? You can't trade AD, you can't mail it, how do you consolidate it under one character for it to be useful?

You can put up a bid for Zen, at a ridiculously cheap price that you know you'll never win (like 50 AD/zen) and then cancel it so that the AD is on your market balance.
    Any character can claim it then if you want to consolidate it on one character - though obviously that wouldn't work for the guy that mentioned alt accounts.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, how does farming it on 6 characters really help? You can't trade AD, you can't mail it, how do you consolidate it under one character for it to be useful?

Well, even if you didn't just save it up and buy zen with each character...... you can transfer AD between characters on the same account. Make a cheap offer on the zen exchange (buy zen at 50 AD each, for instance). Cancel that offer. The AD is now in the exchange's general pool. Go to the character you want to have all the AD. Withdraw the AD from the exchange.

/shrug

....tooo slow.... :D

edit: anyway, they're probably nerfing Protect Caravan because their stats told them "Gee, 98% of the Leadership projects done are Protect Caravan. Maybe that one's too efficient."
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    Theyre reworking professions as a whole, because right now theyre useless unless you drop millions of AD into rushing craft to 20 and more millions into getting the purple assets andd workers to do pantss and shirts and get even richer...

That'd be great if it was true. Besides arm slot items the only profession they changed was Leadership. You can't make pants and shirts with Leadership. And (imo of course) they did nothing to make it better. For the most part they just nerfed a couple of the most commonly used tasks.

As I said elsewhere I don't even use those nerfed tasks much anymore myself. I prefer the longer timed ones. But there really is no way to shine a good light on the nerf. Not that I can see anyway.

When reworking things, some changes are better some worse... its not a big deal.

Its not a big deal if you don't use Leadership or those missions that is.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use only mainly protect caravan and fight off spellplagued (both nerfed), but seriously... is not a big deal, so what? for most users that means what? 1200 less AD each day? c'mon!
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use only mainly protect caravan and fight off spellplagued (both nerfed), but seriously... is not a big deal, so what? for most users that means what? 1200 less AD each day? c'mon!

I've pretty much stopped doing that mission ever since I've started logging in only once a day to do my Invocation, mostly I do the level 13 mission - Protect the Shipment or the Mines or something? The one that takes four hours and gives 120 leadership xp and a blue thingy.
    Either that or my soldiers play tax collectors for 8 hours, or train new minions. :cool:
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Well, even if you didn't just save it up and buy zen with each character...... you can transfer AD between characters on the same account. Make a cheap offer on the zen exchange (buy zen at 50 AD each, for instance). Cancel that offer. The AD is now in the exchange's general pool. Go to the character you want to have all the AD. Withdraw the AD from the exchange.

/shrug

....tooo slow.... :D

edit: anyway, they're probably nerfing Protect Caravan because their stats told them "Gee, 98% of the Leadership projects done are Protect Caravan. Maybe that one's too efficient."

At least we were on the same page about it, right down to the 50 AD!
    And you're probably right, datamining is the number one statistic devs seem to use for nerfing things.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    talkischeapc9talkischeapc9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zikks wrote: »
    Considering that is the only thing keeping me logging in as I work on buying keys trying to get a nightmare mount if they nerf it I'm out. Will check back in a year if the game is still around and see if it's worth getting back into.

If this is all you do.
    You already left.
    You are a real life bot.
    Have fun.

BE BOP BO EEP
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It really depends on your point of view. Some people don't focus on doing professions and just queue up a short mission (like the 2 that were nerfed) once or twice a day or so. If it was a small amount of AD (or leadership xp for the other) then they wouldn't need to be changed in the first place.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    It really depends on your point of view. Some people don't focus on doing professions and just queue up a short mission (like the 2 that were nerfed) once or twice a day or so. If it was a small amount of AD (or leadership xp for the other) then they wouldn't need to be changed in the first place.

I think what he meant was that it would be no big deal to the average player (only 1.2k AD lost each day) as opposed to the hardcore exploiters that would be losing a much higher number.
    Of course as I mentioned earlier, they'll just move on to the next most profitable mission and exploit that until the devs nerf it too, and then the next after that until the profession is utterly worthless if they keep treating the symptoms instead of the disease.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is a shame, although my level of caring isn't particularly high. Protecting Caravan is something I use a lot because it's short. It's the only AD producing leadership mission I can run whilst playing, everything else will have to run while working/sleeping.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azahron wrote: »
    I think what he meant was that it would be no big deal to the average player (only 1.2k AD lost each day) as opposed to the hardcore exploiters that would be losing a much higher number.
    Of course as I mentioned earlier, they'll just move on to the next most profitable mission and exploit that until the devs nerf it too, and then the next after that until the profession is utterly worthless if they keep treating the symptoms instead of the disease.

If I were monitoring the AD/zen market here, I would see that so many AD's are being made that the price of zen is going UP UP UP... as it was till Sunday 245 to 355 in just over two weeks is a lot of Zenflation, Then I would mine some numbers... see what the biggest sources of those AD's were, and I'd cut them back. Dailies and Leadership missions seem to be the prime cause of the glut, so nerf the Leader missions and do things to Slow down the dungeon grind... like hobbling the que or making you do more missions to get yer zen bonus. seems pretty clear cut to me. Players don't like it now but then they won't like it 3 months from now if all the prices in the AH have tripled and zen sells for 600 ADs.
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The raising of the zen prize has a cause that is really easy to understand, new products, price cuts on other products... Zen was low because everybody had most of the Zen items, so Zen had less and less value, now, people want to buy the new shiny thingies, buy cheaper respeccs, new companions, mounts... etc... so for a while, zen will be more expensive, in a couple of weeks, when all the novelty worns out, zen will go back to the low 200s...

And no, the MMOs illuminaty dont tinker with games economies, foilhatting the gaming world is lame.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    If I were monitoring the AD/zen market here, I would see that so many AD's are being made that the price of zen is going UP UP UP... as it was till Sunday 245 to 355 in just over two weeks is a lot of Zenflation, Then I would mine some numbers... see what the biggest sources of those AD's were, and I'd cut them back. Dailies and Leadership missions seem to be the prime cause of the glut, so nerf the Leader missions and do things to Slow down the dungeon grind... like hobbling the que or making you do more missions to get yer zen bonus. seems pretty clear cut to me. Players don't like it now but then they won't like it 3 months from now if all the prices in the AH have tripled and zen sells for 600 ADs.

I agree that they need to do something, because if they don't the scenario that you've just described will happen in no time.
    But as I also said, if their answer will be to nerf everything that the latest bots are using to make AD - who do you really think will be impacted the most by that?
    The people that actually play, and that have only limited time to do so because of work, sleep and other obligations? Or the guys that aren't even at their computer while some program manages their different clients?
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Will this continue to be the MO though? Will combating those who abuse a system continue to chop away at my gaming experience?
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Will this continue to be the MO though? Will combating those who abuse a system continue to chop away at my gaming experience?

This. I grow tired of MMOs that hinder the legit playerbase in their hamfisted efforts at combating bots and exploits. So your answer to bots is to make things harder or more tedious for the rest of us to the point that the best method of getting anything done is to bot? Makes perfect sense*.

Bots are going to soon be the only thing left playing the game at the rate things are going.

*in Bizarro World
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If we eliminated trade and simply gave players rewards for playing, the farmers would cease to exist. It is hard to imagine an enjoyable MMO experience without trade, but that does not mean that the idea is impossible.
  • Options
    possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You folks are so precious, like little lost children, each grabbing for the next shinycoin that PWE tosses to the ground at your feet. Not to be mean or anything but PWE and Cryptic is in this to make money from their ZEN shop, they will leave nothing in game that will give you decent AD sources and that also means the end of the epic gear Ad bonanzas.

The only thing that will be left shortly is the people with cash buying ZEN to get AD and trade the occasional profession asset or mount on the AH. And really, who do you think regulates the ZEN to AD prices? The players, with demand? So funny.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • Options
    zerokunoichi7zerokunoichi7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Game died when foundry was a disappointment. I wish foundry would be like custom maps in War3 or SC. Could you even imagine the cash flow with the ZEN store for having Foundry people add additional content through ZEN or just a lot of costumes?

Oh man, I don't know how they managed to screw up THAT bad. Just a big FYI you can't farm anything in this game anymore after the next patch. This game is literally going to become STALE. It's also really silly to see buying gear for 1.2m AD for a measly 100 stat upgrade. LMAO
  • Options
    thantuthantu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, screw that noise.

PC already has a downside, you need to be on every two hours refreshing it on all your mules. If you're that obsessive about it, you deserve the AD.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I haven't used this mission in a while, and my first reaction was also that it punishes legitimate players because of the bots. However, at a second thought, I understand the reasons. Ideally, addressing the botting would be ideal, but that isn't trivial and may be impossible, so a fix like this yields immediate results without requiring resources.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I haven't used this mission in a while, and my first reaction was also that it punishes legitimate players because of the bots. However, at a second thought, I understand the reasons. Ideally, addressing the botting would be ideal, but that isn't trivial and may be impossible, so a fix like this yields immediate results without requiring resources.

Yep, it's the easy fix - but not one they can keep applying without nerfing the whole game into eventual unplayability.
    Bots are like malware in that regard, the devs find ways to detect and ban them and then a few days later a new one pops up that they can't catch without upgrading their software all over again.
    It's even worse in a game like this where the exploiters have nothing to loose, they don't have to buy a boxed game or pay a subscription - just make a new account if they do get caught and banned.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    asdfmandingaasdfmandinga Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sorry if im wrong but what do you mean with legit playerbase OP ? the legit playerbase that spend alot of real lite money todo being succesful on the games while the legit playerbase who want to play the game without being forced to spend real money has to suffer due to the exploiters ?PWE has to ban those guys instead to make the AD imposible to earn
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I've just been reading through the patch notes for the preview shard: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?365451-Patch-Notes-NW-3-20130529z-20

There is one change listed that really concerns me. It looks like they're going to reduce the AD you get from 'Protect the Caravan' tasks by half.
    Professions

High-tier Arm slot pieces no longer require Tier 2 dungeon resources.
    The tasks that make the high-tier Arm slot pieces now require the piece to be upgraded. These tasks are now always visible.
    Alchemy: Experimentation tasks now display their potential rewards on the Summary screen.
    Leadership: The rewards for several tasks have been updated, as well as the contents of Leadership chests.
    Rank 3: Extended Guard Duty: A medium chest has been added to the rewards for this task.
    Rank 4: Protect Caravan: The Astral Diamond reward for this task has been lowered to 100.
    Rank 4: Protect Local Merchant: 150 XP and a medium chest have been added to the rewards for this task.
    Rank 5: Explore: The time to complete this task has been increased to 2 hours.
    Rank 5: Raid Supply Cache: 450 XP has been added to the rewards for this task.
    Rank 6: Protect Survey Team: 2 Silver has been added to the rewards for this task.
    Small Chest: The number of skill items given by this chest has been reduced to 1.
    Medium Chest: The number of skill items given by this chest has been reduced to 3, but the Healing Potion count has been increased to 2.
    Large Chest: The number of skill items given by this chest has been reduced to 6, but the Greater Healing Potion count has been increased to 2.
    Very Large Chest: The Greater Healing Potion count given by this chest has been increased to 7.

So I'd like to ask Cryptic to please not do this. As a solo/casual player who doesn't run dungeons or skirmishes, praying and protecting the caravan is my only source of AD. If you nerf it, then that's just another kick in the guts for the solo/casual players.

Please reconsider this. It just seems that every patch is making the game more and more unfriendly to the solo/casual crowd :(

Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    druidofdisasterdruidofdisaster Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    There is one change listed that really concerns me. It looks like they're going to reduce the AD you get from 'Protect the Caravan' tasks by half.
    Oh come on, spending an hour fighting hordes of endless adds and bosses that do 20,000 AoE damage to play craps for the items they drop which you might not get is so rewarding.
    I'm not saying it was humans, but it was humans.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    addressing the bots by penalising the players?
  • Options
    daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    sorry if im wrong but what do you mean with legit playerbase OP ? the legit playerbase that spend alot of real lite money todo being succesful on the games while the legit playerbase who want to play the game without being forced to spend real money has to suffer due to the exploiters ?PWE has to ban those guys instead to make the AD imposible to earn

Unless PWE is double dipping....Selling Zen legit and also cornering the 3rd party market...

BTW, multiple account logins through scripting is kinda programming 101. I have seen a program launch NW, User/PW + collect profession missions, select new mission, allocate crafting resources, change characters and rinse and repeat hourly, every 2 hours, etc etc.

Gateway makes botting the professions worthy of this nerf....
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not that it's a good answer, but some higher level tasks yield the same ADs/hr as protecting the caravan. Yeah, they require higher tier assets, but they also take longer overall, so you don't have to babysit the profession as much. Again, not the best solution, but level up leadership and you can work around it. Plus, collecting taxes gives you item crates.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The thing is that I assume bots are massively farming this, which could explain the large rise in the AD:ZEN ratio over the last few weeks.
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Its very broken anyway. Most of the time I don't even get the AD reward for this. I've raised it as a bug previously but still not seeing it work consistently.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Its very broken anyway. Most of the time I don't even get the AD reward for this. I've raised it as a bug previously but still not seeing it work consistently.

do you finish it via gateway?
    then you do get the ADS, just not as rough ones but normal ones