test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nerfing Protecting Caravan

skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have 4 characters. I leveled all of them up to 60. I don't have 100 character slots farming ad every 2 hours. I have 4 character slots. I just feel I am being punished for what others are doing. (I am assuming they adjusted the ad gain to try and counter alt farming)

Now I was thinking. Wouldn't it be better for all concerned if they kept the ad gain the same, but moved "Protecting Caravan" to a higher skill level like maybe level 15 or so. That way all the farmers would need to take a long time to level their mules to get to the point where they could farm the ad, but legit players would not really feel the pain to much.

This is not game breaking issue for me. I am not crying and demanding a change or I quit. I was just wondering if they could have come up with a better way to combat the ad farming with a smaller impact on the legit community.

So this is my suggestion. Marry crafting level with character level. So that if a task gives AD (without gold outlay) like "protecting Caravan" Then it would take crafting level of 12, and character level of 60 (for instance)

Does anyone feel the same, or is this too small an issue to give thought to?

Thank you for reading and posting if you choose to.

Skalt
Post edited by skalt112 on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Decent enough idea.
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since I actually have 6 characters that did this for a while, it's not as impressive as you make it sound - with three craftsmen doing it on each character that is 600 AD/2 hours times 6 for the characters that means 3.6k AD/2 hours.
    Provided you have nothing to do, or you are willing to take a break from whatever you are doing every two hours consistently you could do this a good six-seven times a day or so? Across a twelve hour period or so, assuming we're not dealing with some kind of botter.

So that makes 21-25k AD that you can make in a day if I'm not mistaken.
    In the meanwhile there are players at the max level that can easily earn 50k AD (and I've seen much, much higher numbers than that) from ninja'ing purples from their groupmates and selling them.
    It's also incredibly boring and takes much more time than one would think - either logging into game and constantly relogging for a good five minutes or so, or constantly swapping characters on the Gateway and manuevering through all the menus.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    tyr216tyr216 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So basically, you want to nerf the only decent profession?
  • Options
    druidofdisasterdruidofdisaster Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    It gets nerfed and I'll make myself scarce while the bots post multiple 99 stack enchants on one account and nothing is done to have to make me compete with mindless farming machines. It's the only way to work the AH that doesn't include having to enter a DD and play craps for loot I might not get after an hour of killing hordes of adds and bosses that do 20,000 AoE damage.
    I'm not saying it was humans, but it was humans.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Does anyone feel the same, or is this too small an issue to give thought to?

I wouldn't mind. I don't think it'll happen though.

Balance wise the protect caravan is the best AD per hour of all the regular missions (that don't require mats) until you hit 20. Something slightly off about the second best mission being so low level. Your idea would fix that.

I have a feeling they are changing it because of bots though. I've got 20 character slots. 18 of them running leadership and two I keep rerolling for the blacklake skirmish. I had switched to the less efficient 6hour/400AD tasks because with the 2 hour one I was spending all my time managing leadership. I was getting burnt out and I wanted to actually play.

Bots don't get burnt out, or distracted. If the level is increased their owners will just have them run another mission until their characters can do the most efficient one again. Your suggested fix won't solve this unfortunately.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    I have a feeling they are changing it because of bots though. I've got 20 character slots. 18 of them running leadership and two I keep rerolling for the blacklake skirmish. I had switched to the less efficient 6hour/400AD tasks because with the 2 hour one I was spending all my time managing leadership. I was getting burnt out and I wanted to actually play.

Bots don't get burnt out, or distracted. If the level is increased their owners will just have them run another mission until their characters can do the most efficient one again. Your suggested fix won't solve this unfortunately.

That's hardcore. O.O
    I did the same thing as you did for a little while, minus the rerolling - and I got incredibly bored with it within days, and that's only with six characters.
    I'd be more in favor of them dedicating more resources to their anti-botting software rather than nerfing this mission though, as it won't affect much except the bots moving on to the next best thing until you can flush the entire profession down the toilet if they nerf each and every one of them.
    This game seems to have huge problems with bots, and I think the leadership ones are among the lesser evils when compared to the PvP ones that not only exploit the Glory as currency but also actively ruin the player experience of the people unlucky enough to get them on their team.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tyr216 wrote: »
    So basically, you want to nerf the only decent profession?

PWE is nerfing it from what I read.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Yes. According to the preview server patch notes they cut the AD reward in half. This knocked it down from the second most AD per hour efficient* mission to one of the worst.

*Their are more efficient missions, but they require materials obtained from yet more missions.
  • Options
    onehappygnadeonehappygnade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, that sucks >.<
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just wish they'd look at the XP rewards, or at least provide an option to convert XP to gold or more ADs for level 60 characters. I've gotten several characters to 60, and I try to stay on top of Leadership as best I can, and generally only get it up to level 12-14...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    druidofdisasterdruidofdisaster Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    If the AH would tag items not previously posted as new(unseen to players) and then temporarily ban the bots posting endless maximum stacks of expensive items that no human could farm in one day until the account holder can explain where he got that loot it would at least get rid of the obvious bots and restore some semblance of legitimacy to the economy. Chances are the people farming with bots are using bots for Leadership AD too and it'd be two birds one stone. That being stated, I'm not going to be forced into doing DD endless add killing missions for an hour just to get enough AD to work the AH and I'll cut my loses at what I've already spent in real money then make myself scarce.
    I'm not saying it was humans, but it was humans.
  • Options
    zikkszikks Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Considering that is the only thing keeping me logging in as I work on buying keys trying to get a nightmare mount if they nerf it I'm out. Will check back in a year if the game is still around and see if it's worth getting back into.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zikks wrote: »
    Considering that is the only thing keeping me logging in as I work on buying keys trying to get a nightmare mount if they nerf it I'm out. Will check back in a year if the game is still around and see if it's worth getting back into.

I actually didn't think folks would consider leaving over this. Sorry to see you go. I don't think they will roll it back now. It's pretty much a done deal.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    .................... Call it fighting ZENFLATION

If you look at the professions, you see that at every skill level there is a variety of yields and run times. I'm pretty sure that this was tailored to allow players to fit jobs into their play patterns. Farmers will be farmers. Get over it. They actually serve to reduce the cost of many market items in game simply by their volume. I don't think it's a good idea gamewise to disenfranchise legit players to hobble the farmers. Protect caravan is almost perfect for running while you are also adventuring. It also gives a good mixed value of both goods and xp. The game economy includes invocation for freakin sakes. You can pray for money and get it, experience too. I think the devs planned for easy income here, and I kinda like it. BUt... and there is a big BUT here...

Have you noticed the lag in the daily instance que? There is another high yield was to earn AD being cut back. I watch the zen market... you know , where ADs and zen are traded. There has ben BIG inflation. I call it ZENFLATION. back around the first of June when I got my founder's pack I could buy zen for 245-255 ADs. But in less than a month, this has gone up to around 350. Anyone who has just HELD those starter ADs.. and there are some out there who are quite proud of it has lost value . That stash is worth 30 percent LESS now than it was then. So they are cutting the AD supply a bit. What you will find is that eventually PRICES WILL DROP to accommodate this new value. I think this is no more than Inflation fighting. Expect to see more of it until the game economy settles in.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    .................... Call it fighting ZENFLATION

Imo they are the ones creating the "zenflation" as you call it. Instead of cancelling the founder packs at launch they just took the founder title out and continue to sell them. Each adding more AD into the economy than any player can create through normal means in months.
  • Options
    kristingravekristingrave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh god please no.
    Crafting takes for ****ing ever to level as is, unless you cash shop to make the fast exp crafts.
    I have been leveling tailoring since level 11 I am now 60, took about 1 month + just to get tailoring up to level 16. With which I still only can craft crappy **** that is hardly worth my time. It is such a huge time sink.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
    Panda@kristingrave - CW - Dragon
    Death@healxyou - DC - Dragon
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh god please no.
    Crafting takes for ****ing ever to level as is, unless you cash shop to make the fast exp crafts.
    I have been leveling tailoring since level 11 I am now 60, took about 1 month + just to get tailoring up to level 16. With which I still only can craft crappy **** that is hardly worth my time. It is such a huge time sink.

The only one they mentioned in the preview patch notes was Leadership. But its short missions were hit pretty hard time sink wise. Not only was the protect caravan mission changed but they also nerfed the 1 hour XP mission by extending it to 2 hours. Don't see anything that'd affect tailoring though.
  • Options
    kristingravekristingrave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    The only one they mentioned in the preview patch notes was Leadership. But its short missions were hit pretty hard time sink wise. Not only was the protect caravan mission changed but they also nerfed the 1 hour XP mission by extending it to 2 hours. Don't see anything that'd affect tailoring though.

Tailoring was mainly an example. Given it's the only one I have highish up. Rest are 13 and below.
    Just wish all the crafts didn't take up several hours to craft something useless that you will just npc in the process.
    But it seems Cryptic keeps heading in the wrong direction with this game.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
    Panda@kristingrave - CW - Dragon
    Death@healxyou - DC - Dragon
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I actually didn't think folks would consider leaving over this. Sorry to see you go. I don't think they will roll it back now. It's pretty much a done deal.

Considering I only do professions while I wait on them to Change and add a few things it's not really a loss for the community as I have stopped playing for the most part. Once they rework boss fights, fix bugs, add more classes and races I'll be back. The game feels like it was released a year too early to me and now I sit hoping the skeleton of a team left is able to pull off a miracle and turn this game into what it should have been.
  • Options
    zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What an odd nerf. It's not as though this was getting anyone past the daily refining limit. Maybe they don't like the idea of people getting rewarded for not playing. But if that's the case, then what is the point of leadership? That's literally all it's good for. It's the worst designed of all the professions, and that's saying something as crafting in this game is worthless outside of shirts/pants and all of the professions are some majorly hardcore grinding.

I suspect a skirmish event AD nerf will be incoming as well then.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I assume form the increased in ZEN:AD ratio that there must have been a huge influx of AD from bots doing leadership. I don't see how this will affect things as the botters will simply run X times as many bots and we are back to square one.....
  • Options
    mrwilliemrwillie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This sucks, was only thing that was going to keep me logging til new classes are added. My rogue will hit 60 in 5 more levels and I'll have absolutely nothing to do (I don't chase the carrot). Now I regret buying that horse during the sale last week.
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    azahron wrote: »
    Since I actually have 6 characters that did this for a while, it's not as impressive as you make it sound - with three craftsmen doing it on each character that is 600 AD/2 hours times 6 for the characters that means 3.6k AD/2 hours.
    Provided you have nothing to do, or you are willing to take a break from whatever you are doing every two hours consistently you could do this a good six-seven times a day or so? Across a twelve hour period or so, assuming we're not dealing with some kind of botter.

In the meanwhile there are players at the max level that can easily earn 50k AD (and I've seen much, much higher numbers than that) from ninja'ing purples from their groupmates and selling them.
    It's also incredibly boring and takes much more time than one would think - either logging into game and constantly relogging for a good five minutes or so, or constantly swapping characters on the Gateway and manuevering through all the menus.

You could have alt accounts. and 20 characters + then as they open up crafting slot and pray etc. eventually you can have 20 toons with say 6 slots to do this quest. that would be 120 caravan quest every 2 hours. hmmm Ill stop with it there.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    mrwillie wrote: »
    This sucks, was only thing that was going to keep me logging til new classes are added. My rogue will hit 60 in 5 more levels and I'll have absolutely nothing to do (I don't chase the carrot). Now I regret buying that horse during the sale last week.

Clicking a button to wait 2 hours was the only thing that keeps you logging in?
    Buddy, you need a better hobby.
    (.-.)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So they're nerfing profession rewards now?

I really had high hopes for this game. I've defended and supported it. But, with all the past things and now this, I'm finding it harder and harder to want to log in.

Sad.
    L'sya Raiya
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You could have alt accounts. and 20 characters + then as they open up crafting slot and pray etc. eventually you can have 20 toons with say 6 slots to do this quest. that would be 120 caravan quest every 2 hours. hmmm Ill stop with it there.

You are already limited to doing it 3 at a time so even if you have all your slots open you still can't do more than 600 AD every 2 hours per character yet they still nerfed it.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

you could also have NO LIFE ;)
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Theyre reworking professions as a whole, because right now theyre useless unless you drop millions of AD into rushing craft to 20 and more millions into getting the purple assets andd workers to do pantss and shirts and get even richer...

When reworking things, some changes are better some worse... its not a big deal.
  • Options
    mechomancermechomancer Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azahron wrote: »

So, how does farming it on 6 characters really help? You can't trade AD, you can't mail it, how do you consolidate it under one character for it to be useful?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Someone would either have to be pretty nuts to do nothing but relog from account to account and queue up crafting missions or a botter - which I'm guessing is what's happening now.
    Any actual player would pretty much have to give up on actually playing to constantly manage that crafting.
    Of course there will always be those people that take things to the extremes, whether it's your example or the people that race to the level cap in 3 days on their diet of energy drinks and no sleep - things shouldn't be balanced to match those extremes as it usually means seriously punishing the normal players.
    Artificer.jpg