test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Customization- DnD style-(Request)

leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Devs, please can we get a DnD MMO that reflects the amount of customizationn possible in a DnD game. Plenty of paragon paths, classes, stylization appearances etc...it would really flesh this game out as a DnD IP MMO.
Post edited by leshil40 on

Comments

• leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I guess everyone likes 5 classes with 1 paragon path each in their DnD mmo. Go figure...
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Becouse the customers want a D&D game. This game is not designed for the D&D community rather a campaign to get a slice of the wildly popular warcraft gen mmo world. I thought it was common knowledge at this point...... This game is not gonna have options. Its intentionally limited by design. Asking for options of any kind that translates to tradional D&D player satisfaction is simply not in the cards. WOTC has different goals for this game then what a large portion of the player pool wants. Different goals.....
  • leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Which has resulted in one of the worst launches in recent memory. This has nothing to do with WoW campaigns. They stated a DND game. We got something totally different.
    edited June 2013
    leshil40 wrote: »
    Which has resulted in one of the worst launches in recent memory. This has nothing to do with WoW campaigns. They stated a DND game. We got something totally different.

The stated DnD game is simply a lie. The real goal is to access the much larger wow gen player pool. This is DnD in name only and will always be. WOTC is targeting a different player pool. A different demographic. DnD tradionalists are not priority. C mon gents, this is common knowledge.
  • morkelb78morkelb78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay, I get what your saying, the game is not officially 3 days old. You want content, they are giving you a module slated for this summer, even if it comes in August that is comparable with what any game is doing. If you want full customization of your character you should try DDO, the 3.5 cross classing system allows for that game to be amazing. However your not going to do anything new, which is really what you want. You want to be an individual in a 2d virtual world correct? If so play a single player game and be the only person in the game.

If they put a new paragon path for each class in, do you not think everyone will flock to try it. Just as when they offer a new class, everyone will flock to try it. Then you idiots will wait for a cookie cutter build to be posted, because you lack the originality to come up with your own build. Then you will wait for someone to tell you what gear to wear. You scream you want to be different then you flock to do the same thing like a bunch of sheep.

When they add new class / paragon paths / races, I quake for this game. Because we have Drizzit's already I can not wait till they can be a real ranger.
  • thulkoththulkoth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    DDO has more D&D feel. Wish they had a foundry like function.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Reluctantly, I have to agree with bracer2. The question I ask to the D&D enthusiasts is, what does this game offer that makes you want to play this over a pnp session?

New classes and content come with time, testing, and development hours, not instant gratification. I'd suggest playing the real thing for a year or so, then (if you still feel this is a better game than pnp) come back and check for improvements.
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My biggest complaint of this game is thr lack of race and class options, as im sure is the same with many others. I know that it will get better with time, but i really feel like the game couldve launched with much more. The fact that each class onllly has one path is surprising to me, especially considering theres only 5 classes overall. If there were maybe 8-10classes one path each wouldnt bother me so much. Im just really disapointed that i cant play a warlock like i do with my tabletop group, even a spell sword wouod make me happy. I k ow theres a new coass coming in module1 but thats months away and if its only one new class that will be a huge disapointment for many. Its really a shame that this game lacks in the customization area because the combat is great, but a lot of ppl play for the role playing aspect just as much as compeling gameplay, and i feel all a game needs to be great is those to areas. Guess ill keep hoping for the best since the game is mostly free and at least it works.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For now I will have to play NWN2 for solo and DDO for multiplayer, those games feel much closer to d&d. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I guess everyone likes 5 classes with 1 paragon path each in their DnD mmo. Go figure...
    Where on earth did you get that idea?
    I think everyone would like more: its just a question as to the priority we'd put on it and how reasonable our expectations are.
    Reluctantly, I have to agree with bracer2. The question I ask to the D&D enthusiasts is, what does this game offer that makes you want to play this over a pnp session?
    Its easier to arrange spending an hour or so on the game rather than trying to arrange a short PnP game at 5 minutes notice with people who might be in a different country.

Its an MMO. Its not going to be able to replicate a PnP session: there is no human DM able to adjudicate actions on the fly: you are always going to be constrained by the programmed game rather than the imagination.
    As a D&D-based MMO it seems OK. The setting appears to be close to what little I know of the Forgotten Realms, and they have done a reasonable job of translating the D&D rules and feel into an action-MMO-style of play. It could always use more content, but so do games that have been regularly updated for years: there is always room for new content.
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My only real major complain is the amount of restriction in character building

The lack of armor and weapon variety and the over burden of astral diamonds needed to alter appearances, as well as the inability to hide other parts of armor besides the helmet and neck.

The lack of creativity in dungeons (at least for the boss battles)

I wont complain about additional races and classes, cause those will be added over time. Though I would say that should be one of the top priorities, since I kind of like the way the classes are now. They are more balanced than they've ever been. And the foundary is really good. there are things I would like expanded upon, but I am hoping they will do that as time goes on as well.

Edit:
    Also I would like if the exp cap to level up was higher. Right now its way too easy to level up. Im leveling up off of doing very basic things like prayer and pvp. And leaving behind my friends or my friends leaving me behind.
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, I will admit I flocked to this game because of Neverwinter and Forgotten Realms... I spent money because I like to "cast my vote" for games and movies by spending on it. I been hoping for the best and seemingly getting the worst. Its seemingly apparent to me they just want to milk money out of people for a largely incomplete game. 5 classes with 1 paragon path, and gear is handed out like Obama-money, only one boss mechanic, endless hoardes of adds, and had gold famers and sellers before the game even went officially live. Its loosing its luster to over greedy mechanics IMHO. It feels like a crappy facebook game to me with better graphics.
  • hitkillhitkill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Devs, please can we get a DnD MMO that reflects the amount of customizationn possible in a DnD game. Plenty of paragon paths, classes, stylization appearances etc...it would really flesh this game out as a DnD IP MMO.

ignore the hater in the topic... it WILL have more classes, paragon paths, more armor, customization and stuff... t is already confirmed
    bracer2 wrote: »
    The stated DnD game is simply a lie. The real goal is to access the much larger wow gen player pool. This is DnD in name only and will always be. WOTC is targeting a different player pool. A different demographic. DnD tradionalists are not priority. C mon gents, this is common knowledge.

the game has the official lore and can even create stuff to be part of the official D&D Lore...

and yes, they are targeting non-D&D fans, so they can become one, to make them interested in the story

you are a troll or someone on Cryptic didn't give you an autograph and now you're mad
    edited June 2013
    hitkill wrote: »
    ignore the hater in the topic... it WILL have more classes, paragon paths, more armor, customization and stuff... t is already confirmed

the game has the official lore and can even create stuff to be part of the official D&D Lore...

and yes, they are targeting non-D&D fans, so they can become one, to make them interested in the story

you are a troll or someone on Cryptic didn't give you an autograph and now you're mad

Not mad... lol. Dissapointed, yes. Ill be the first to admit i have a definate preconcieved notion as to what "good" DnD video games offer. After a couple decades of playing all forms of it, i contest that rolling out a DnD game "targeting non-DnD fans" comes across as dirty pool. Have given thousands of dollars to TSR/WOTC over the last 2 decades, and almost feel entitled to the best DnD video game experience possible in 2013... ;)
  • vheeshanevheeshane Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have two toons both are at 47, I have essentially stopped playing. I pop in here and wonder if others feel the same, thinking maybe its just me and I am missing the point. Apparently not.
  • mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    this is a fresh game everything you asked for will show up in time. Yes I would have loved to have them at release but having been through a fair number of releases NW has more than many of the games on the market that went on to be a staple. Hell there is even one on the market that is over 5years old that started with 2 classes with 2 builds. An you had 0 Choice as to which powers you used. The build provided it all for you.
  • ultimombraultimombra Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I red somewhere in that forum (no devs just rumors) that they have planned to develop the game along 3 years sending us a new class, paragon,modules etc. every 2/4 months...so we are just at the beginning "take patience" but as a D&D fan I agree with the OP about the need of more mechanics and deep charachter development! Unfortunately out there there isn't another new D&D-FRIENDLY-GAME except "maybe" Pathfinder Online that well, will release in 2015...

bye all
    The Unseen Knight
    edited June 2013
    ultimombra wrote: »
    I red somewhere in that forum (no devs just rumors) that they have planned to develop the game along 3 years sending us a new class, paragon,modules etc. every 2/4 months...so we are just at the beginning "take patience" but as a D&D fan I agree with the OP about the need of more mechanics and deep charachter development! Unfortunately out there there isn't another new D&D-FRIENDLY-GAME except "maybe" Pathfinder Online that well, will release in 2015...

bye all

Exactly, this game is designed to get a foothold in the wildly popular wow gen mmo world. Thats fine. Where is the updated current game for DnD traditionalists???? This is not close to what we want obviously. And it seems to me this IS the new DnD video game. This game either needs dramatic change, or a new "actual" DnD game needs to come out for the long time, loyal DnD community.
    edited June 2013
    WTF does WoW have to do with wanting more Customization in a game purported to be DnD flavor...hahaha
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Nada. I will always choose a pnp tabletop session over ANY MMO.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
    edited June 2013
    WTF does WoW have to do with wanting more Customization in a game purported to be DnD flavor...hahaha

Alot imo. The demographic WOTC is looking for is the wow gen. Options, rules mechanics, RP. These things make DnD great. So i contest that asking for these things actually turns away the masses. Currently there isnt any DnD flavor. I believe that an actionMMO game can never ever be an DnD RPG. They are completley different in every way. They cannot be merged. I only hope a remade, updated, current NWN2/DDO comes out sooner then later.
  • pilfropilfro Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    at least change it so every piece of gear doesn't looks the same. I'm tired of the skins.
    edited June 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    Nada. I will always choose a pnp tabletop session over ANY MMO.

Who wouldnt? People have jobs, and kids, and lives.... PnP is very difficult to achieve in the real world. So that leaves video games... NWN2 was great for a decade, DDO, meh was ok. This was supposed to be the new DnD game. Its just not DnD though... lol.
  • tb00tb00 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this game has only just lunched i agree it dose't have as much options as it should the game is still new and more options will be add and the gameplay system is better then any online game like this that i have played.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Currently there isnt any DnD flavor. I believe that an actionMMO game can never ever be an DnD RPG. They are completley different in every way. They cannot be merged. I only hope a remade, updated, current NWN2/DDO comes out sooner then later.
    How does DDO give a D&D flavour to you, while NWO doesn't? They are both considered action MMOs.
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    How does DDO give a D&D flavour to you, while NWO doesn't? They are both considered action MMOs.

Besides this game I think DDO is also a very bad rendition. Though it does supply a DnD feel at least. Its old and outdated. NWN2 was great, yet it is also old and outdated. The DnD community has been clamoring for a better updated version of NWN2/DDO for months on this forum. That's what we want.:) A game were RP, options, and strict by the book rules is the essential backbone of the game.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would at least like a point-buy for attributes if the 'roll' method currently used is just going to bounce around the same points, in a few set combinations, no matter what you do. That is just asinine.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azlanfox wrote: »
    I would at least like a point-buy for attributes if the 'roll' method currently used is just going to bounce around the same points, in a few set combinations, no matter what you do. That is just asinine.

I think that's to curtain the min-maxing a teensy bit - plus they wouldn't have to deal with the repercussions of having a 5 INT or DEX, where they might have to deal with, shall we say, "slow" characters trying to deal with complex situations.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is a fun game, it would be neat if we could easily make quests designed for groups. I know some make these types by stacking encounters but I have yet to try them. Paper allows for infinite options, the machine is constrained but we still play.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I think that's to curtain the min-maxing a teensy bit - plus they wouldn't have to deal with the repercussions of having a 5 INT or DEX, where they might have to deal with, shall we say, "slow" characters trying to deal with complex situations.

I believe you get an attribute base of all 10s + an 8. It then randomizes 14 points. So it is a 24 point system with no scaling attribute cost and a 8 base. I'm fine with forcing a minimum of 8 (max 18 w/o racials) with 24 points or a base of 10 (max 18 w/o racials) with 12 points. The classes are already forced to be MAD, I just want a better choice on how I manage that. There is always a price to pay if you min-max.

The Forgotten Realms has always been over the top when you consider NPCs. Nearly every named character is way out of wack with ridiculous averages.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review