Install Arc
Options

Chat ban for nothing? really?

Comments

• Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    In part I strongly disagree; the right people ARE getting reported for spam, I see it countless times each day? Gold sellers? People who spam chats row after row? Or spam abuse in capslock whatever? These aren't the right people getting reported, then who is? :P
    But in part I agree; it is being used to grief, sadly.... but not more for griefing than not, like you implied.

Nope, used more for griefing. There are a few known roving bands of griefers who have been acting like kids in a candy store when they figured out how this could be abused, and all they have to do is type /report_spam @yourhandle and you can enjoy your 24 hour chat ban like the rest of them. The fact that I still see alot of spam in chat tells me that the wrong people are being chat banned by the system, which is being abused in an unchecked fashion by a few immature guilds and other groups of people.

Its not limited to people who type in zone, and in fact, you dont even need to be logged in when you are griefed as such. If you disagree with someone in a third party forum and they know your handle, and they got butthurt over that disagreement, all they need is 4 other griefers with 5 accounts each, and you will not be chatting in this game.
  • Options
    treepeopletreepeople Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2013
    Oh yeah, Discussing bans is against the ROC.

No public discussion about disciplinary action administered to members.
    If you have any questions regarding rules, disciplinary actions, user bans, or even a thread move, please use the Customer Support Ticketing System or PM function of the board to contact us.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=688

Standard for all MMOs no? Well is from what I have seen.

Without reading the entire conversation how can anyone take this in context?
  • Options
    senseijohnsenseijohn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 90
    edited June 2013
    It's a COMPLETELY flawed system by COMPLETELY flawed designers bent on making money with the LEAST AMOUNT OF EFFORT POSSIBLE - and by that I mean - NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Instead of having GMs administer chat bans based on reporting, they have a community system. Great you say... let the community decide. EXCEPT... people suck. Especially a bunch of adolescent (in age or mentality) idiots who gang up and ban people because they don't like them... they don't like what they talk about... etc. WITH NO OVERSIGHT OR REPERCUSSIONS!

That's right... it's the wild, wild west and there are roving bands of chat banning bandits and the local sheriff is leaving it up to THEM to enforce the law.

SLOPPY... LAZY... STUPID...

Edit - I forgot to mention, they can also put your name on their guild list and do perceptual bans every 24 hours. You can literally be perma-banned by these idiots.... all because PW is too lazy to do it the RIGHT way.
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Update;

I just tweeted Neverwinter and asking for a Trade Channel; they answered and are forwarding it to the Devs, so let's hope for small miracles, eh? ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Nope, used more for griefing. There are a few known roving bands of griefers who have been acting like kids in a candy store when they figured out how this could be abused, and all they have to do is type /report_spam @yourhandle and you can enjoy your 24 hour chat ban like the rest of them. The fact that I still see alot of spam in chat tells me that the wrong people are being chat banned by the system, which is being abused in an unchecked fashion by a few immature guilds and other groups of people.

Its not limited to people who type in zone, and in fact, you dont even need to be logged in when you are griefed as such. If you disagree with someone in a third party forum and they know your handle, and they got butthurt over that disagreement, all they need is 4 other griefers with 5 accounts each, and you will not be chatting in this game.

Don't get me wrong, this is a terrible use of the report mechanic - all griefing is messed up and I loathe it - but I don't see how you can say its used MORE for griefing than for the legit reports, since.... A: You really have no way of knowing that since you dont have the numbers? B: Just reading zone chats all day shows that it does have positive effects as well, constantly, and those numbers we CAN see.

Not saying the system is flawless, personally I'd like ingame GMs and a customer support worth a ****, but this seems to be what theyre going with. One can always hope for improvements, but...
  • Options
    glomoroglomoro Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This auto-chat ban feature was first implemented in Cryptic's other two games. It has the same problems there. If you go into one of the RP hubs with an unusual looking character in CO, you risk being chat banned by people with itchy trigger fingers. Auto-chat ban doesn't just work from report spam, ignores do it too.

The system is easily abused, and even when it's not being abused against you, you run the risk of being silenced for 24 hours just because people are exercising their right to ignore players they personally don't want to listen to. Not because the player is saying anything against the rules, but because they don't like what is being said entirely on their own end. We have asked them to do something about it repeatedly for quite some time now; they don't seem inclined. This policy of theirs may well be a deal breaker for you due the the nature of it. It's pretty close to one for me.

As for an official trade channel, we've asked about that before too. "We'll pass this along," is just another way of saying "God I hope I stop being asked this so much, I can't do anything about it and the devs don't seem terribly interested." However, there is a cross-game player run trade channel already that people do use. Does nothing to fix the issue with zone, but most people ignore the goings on of zone chat after they find the player run channels they want. There's quite a lot of open channels run by the players for just about anything you can think of. General discussion forums on CO had a thread with a list for the channels back when I was playing over there, I'd be surprised if we don't compile one in this end too.

Travel power suggestion threads: Air Walk, Heavy Weapon Flight, Cape Glide improvement
    Power suggestion threads: Annihilate
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    glomoro wrote: »
    This auto-chat ban feature was first implemented in Cryptic's other two games. It has the same problems there. If you go into one of the RP hubs with an unusual looking character in CO, you risk being chat banned by people with itchy trigger fingers. Auto-chat ban doesn't just work from report spam, ignores do it too.

The system is easily abused, and even when it's not being abused against you, you run the risk of being silenced for 24 hours just because people are exercising their right to ignore players they personally don't want to listen to. Not because the player is saying anything against the rules, but because they don't like what is being said entirely on their own end. We have asked them to do something about it repeatedly for quite some time now; they don't seem inclined. This policy of theirs may well be a deal breaker for you due the the nature of it. It's pretty close to one for me.

As for an official trade channel, we've asked about that before too. "We'll pass this along," is just another way of saying "God I hope I stop being asked this so much, I can't do anything about it and the devs don't seem terribly interested." However, there is a cross-game player run trade channel already that people do use. Does nothing to fix the issue with zone, but most people ignore the goings on of zone chat after they find the player run channels they want. There's quite a lot of open channels run by the players for just about anything you can think of. General discussion forums on CO had a thread with a list for the channels back when I was playing over there, I'd be surprised if we don't compile one in this end too.

****, this just makes me sad... Paints a bleak picture of the likely future :/
    Didn't know about this being the same in Cryptics other games, thanks for the info. Maybe if we rage enough theyll change their minds... then again, maybe ill sprout wings and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> lavender.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't see how you can say its used MORE for griefing than for the legit reports, since.... A: You really have no way of knowing that since you dont have the numbers? B: Just reading zone chats all day shows that it does have positive effects as well, constantly, and those numbers we CAN see.

Its use for griefing is a known quality. It is easy to use against other players. It is difficult to use against gold sellers. The Gold sellers are pretty good at their game, they have been doing it for quite a while and the populace is not prepared to deal with them. Multiple accounts, dynamic spelling macros, fast account switching and numerous other tricks keep them ahead of the common gamer looking to read their Zone chat and cough out some memes.

But their presence in the chat channel does cause some frustration and that frustration has a ready target in the way of actual players who are trying to use the game as it was designed. Perhaps they are trying to sell something for gold or looking for a group or a guild. The bullies can turn their ire on players much easier than they can stop a gold seller.

Cryptic has given the populace the tools to be awful to other players without giving them the slightest ability to affect gold sellers. But it’s a fair cop to say that the whole system was sold to execs on the basis of automation, no head count. And rather than just do nothing the grief engine makes it appear like something is indeed being done. But any form of observation will show players getting banned and essentially kicked out the game while gold sellers spam on unhindered.

There are other games that do things to make gold sellers unable to ply their trade in their chat channels. There have been many suggestions in these very forums. The developers have made intimations that indicate they may be looking into changing the system.

But for now you are at the mercy of script kiddies and poorly bred guilds. They can’t stop gold sellers.

But they can stop you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    Its use for griefing is a known quality. It is easy to use against other players. It is difficult to use against gold sellers. The Gold sellers are pretty good at their game, they have been doing it for quite a while and the populace is not prepared to deal with them. Multiple accounts, dynamic spelling macros, fast account switching and numerous other tricks keep them ahead of the common gamer looking to read their Zone chat and cough out some memes.

But their presence in the chat channel does cause some frustration and that frustration has a ready target in the way of actual players who are trying to use the game as it was designed. Perhaps they are trying to sell something for gold or looking for a group or a guild. The bullies can turn their ire on players much easier than they can stop a gold seller.

Cryptic has given the populace the tools to be awful to other players without giving them the slightest ability to affect gold sellers. But it’s a fair cop to say that the whole system was sold to execs on the basis of automation, no head count. And rather than just do nothing the grief engine makes it appear like something is indeed being done. But any form of observation will show players getting banned and essentially kicked out the game while gold sellers spam on unhindered.

There are other games that do things to make gold sellers unable to ply their trade in their chat channels. There have been many suggestions in these very forums. The developers have made intimations that indicate they may be looking into changing the system.

But for now you are at the mercy of script kiddies and poorly bred guilds. They can’t stop gold sellers.

But they can stop you.

Never said anything in disagreement with what you just wrote, in fact I agree. I was simply pointing out point A and B to the other guy.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this is a terrible use of the report mechanic - all griefing is messed up and I loathe it - but I don't see how you can say its used MORE for griefing than for the legit reports, since.... A: You really have no way of knowing that since you dont have the numbers? B: Just reading zone chats all day shows that it does have positive effects as well, constantly, and those numbers we CAN see....

Complete contradiction, since you answered your proclimation A: with your proclimation of B.

I can still see all kinds of spam in chat, daily. I know people who have been chat banned every day since a few days after they began playing. This tells me that the griefers, the people who use the system the most, are using it to ban either people at random, or people they disagreed with in game or on forums, rather than its intended use, which is to block spam. There are also a few different third party forums now that have threads planning the exploitation of the system to grief people who they differ in opinions with. This is what happens when they put a system in place before considering the consequences of how that system can and will be abused.
    Not saying the system is flawless, personally I'd like ingame GMs and a customer support worth a ****, but this seems to be what theyre going with. One can always hope for improvements, but...

I dont buy into the "well this is the way it is so just accept it" mentality, and they shouldnt either, because each person who is discouraged from playing this game due to some other player griefing them, thats a lost customer. Do they really want this to come down to no one being able to use chat at all? Sounds like a waste of dev time even creating a chat system to me. Who are the griefers going to grief when the previous people they used to grief are gone because they cant really play the game under circumstances where they cant chat?

The company designed a griefing tool into their chat system that allows players to take complete control of others enjoyment of their game which they are trying to make money on, sans consequence, and sans any kind of human monitoring for quality control and human intervention for abuse. How is this a good business decision?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Complete contradiction, since you answered your proclimation A: with your proclimation of B.

I can still see all kinds of spam in chat, daily. I know people who have been chat banned every day since a few days after they began playing. This tells me that the griefers, the people who use the system the most, are using it to ban either people at random, or people they disagreed with in game or on forums, rather than its intended use, which is to block spam. There are also a few different third party forums now that have threads planning the exploitation of the system to grief people who they differ in opinions with. This is what happens when they put a system in place before considering the consequences of how that system can and will be abused.

I dont buy into the "well this is the way it is so just accept it" mentality, and they shouldnt either, because each person who is discouraged from playing this game due to some other player griefing them, thats a lost customer. Do they really want this to come down to no one being able to use chat at all? Sounds like a waste of dev time even creating a chat system to me. Who are the griefers going to grief when the previous people they used to grief are gone because they cant really play the game under circumstances where they cant chat?

The company designed a griefing tool into their chat system that allows players to take complete control of others enjoyment of their game which they are trying to make money on, sans consequence, and sans any kind of human monitoring for quality control and human intervention for abuse. How is this a good business decision?

Uhm, no I didnt?
    You dont have the numbers on people being grief banned as this is usually done "silently", in the dark so to speak, when one griefer guilds/groups "name lists" or out in zones randomly or in dungeons and so on. No open statistics or numbers presented by Cryptic to support the claim that these griefers ban more people than "normal gamers" if you excuse the term report gold sellers or more deserving spammers.
    However one CAN see the more positive effects of bans in for instance Conclave Zone Chat daily when it comes to gold sellers or capslock spammers trading or LFGing, as these spammers tend to suddenly go silent as people say they report them and so on, various examples available in plain sight.
    You follow me now, my line of reasoning and what I meant? I was objecting to someone claiming to know the numbers, wich is impossible, while I proposed the only thing we can actually know by (limited) seeing ourselves.

And Im not saying Ill play dead or that anyone else should, Ive been bumping all kinds of threads on this forum and tweeting the Devs to get responses and attention for things that need it - I was merely expressing that personally I dont have high hopes of it changing - I even gave my personal wishes wich differs from the current system. Ive also expressed, very clearly, my dislike of griefing or abuse.

Don't really know what you're arguing tbh, apart from the obvious wich is that the current system is flawed - something Im not disagreeing with.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Never said anything in disagreement with what you just wrote, in fact I agree. I was simply pointing out point A and B to the other guy.

My apologies if I seemed overly confrontational. I just wanted to make the statement of my view of the state of the system. I live with the possibly fictitious idea that we are not indeed just shouting in a void and developers do indeed see these, or at least get their gist.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    My apologies if I seemed overly confrontational. I just wanted to make the statement of my view of the state of the system. I live with the possibly fictitious idea that we are not indeed just shouting in a void and developers do indeed see these, or at least get their gist.

No apologies needed, mate :) We all need to vent now and then, and the Devs DO read the forums, so the more opinions and views we bring to light, the bigger chances to get their attention.
  • Options
    sierrebrarcsierrebrarc Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Um.. It says you were "FLAGGED AS A SPAMMER" as such, someone probably intentionally flagged you as a spammer. This could have been done by accident. If the chat scrolled as they tried to click on someone and they targeted you instead without realizing it, POOF you get jacked....

However, I think it takes more than one person to get a ban, but I could be wrong. If it was intentional however someone who didn't like you could have had you flagged by friends or on alts....
  • Options
    wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My understanding was that you could be targeted and 'grief-ed' with a small group of folks, 3 to 5, reporting you for spam, then you'd get a bann.

Perhaps that happened to you?

do you have enemies?
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chunkienoodle26chunkienoodle26 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I believe it takes 20 people to report you as a spammer for the ban to kick in. So you obviously posted something annoying enough that 20 people reported you as a spammer.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Two things:
    1. I don't care if your looking for party or selling something... If you repeat it over and over and over incessantly... people will report it.
    2. The REAL unfair and unjust bans are happening to people by groups (guilds) ganging up on others for no reason. Like this one player on Mindflayer yesterday got a group of snarky jerks together and told us all we were not allowed to talk about the dog companions, the portals, ask where the bank is or answer where the bank is, or say "Hodor". Anyone who did any of these... even just trying to help others and answer their questions... got reported by them. There was enough to ban one of my friends for answering someone about the dogs.

THAT is a real problem. Sorry I have no sympathy for ppl selling stuff in chat. I watch you guys spam over and over hitting the up arrow and repeating yourself and making the chat scroll too fast to even read it. You are spammers. You got banned. Learn from it.

REport t hose people as abusing or harassment. They or anyone else can find themselves banned if they falsely report someone else for spamming. Also if it isn't known don't mention gold sellers website the game itself will ban your account I believe.
  • Options
    onikum0onikum0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really don't know the circumstances surrounding your ban, but it would seem that a group of people reported you for spam.

I don't know if you were spamming or not, but its safe to say that would be the reason.
  • Options
    pjalmeidapjalmeida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    IF and a HUGE IF... you got banned without a reason, i am sorry and i hope that the bans like that wont happen again.
    If you are one the brats that keep floading the chats, with nonsense stuff, ofending people and making the community worst and worst..i hope next time they give you a perma ban.
    It is time to GM to start banning people based on the chats, too many rude people and people that are logged only to offend .....
  • Options
    tahera1tahera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ahhh, the wonders of the ignore list. So, the cons of the ignore list is sometimes conversations happen in zone that you can't really follow. Usually they are arguments dealing with somebody you're already ignoring though.

Good times.
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    Me routinely sell dungeon gear for gold in zone chat & I has never been chat banned.

I practice the 1 Zone entry every 2-5 "chat boxes." (& I use a rather large sized chat box.)

Hasn't failed me yet & keeps me noticed to get plenty of offers.

OP & others who get chat banned are likely the ones that spam (usually with ridiculous offers like Lesser Vorpal, only 300k!) as soon as their entry goes out of the chat box.

Thank you for your politeness.

In trying to actually find some conversation, answer questions, enjoy the company of others, I've developed these simple rules about using the "report spam" feature:

1. If your 'ad' shows up 3 times in my chat box (not huge, about 2-3x larger than default, font bumped up to 1.15)
    2. If you're just advertising your AH listing.
    2.a. You're looking for a buyer using AD - this is why we have an AH. Use it.
    3. If your offer is so laughably bad it qualifies as "Can I get 3 tens for this twenty?"
    4. ALL CAPS!

It's not that hard to show some restraint, folks. If I can't even reply to you before you're posting the ad again, you're posting too fast. We all saw it the first time. Link the item, give a price, wait a few minutes. Not seconds. *Minutes*. The crowd seeing your ad isn't going to change that much in the next 30 seconds.

I will also note, I'm *slightly* more lenient about people looking to sell for gold. I get that there isn't a place for them to make such exchanges. I still don't need to read your ad 3 times a minute, though.
  • Options
    bozar3000bozar3000 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    You do know we dont know your character name right?

Ahem... You do know that he placed a caption beneath his screenshot which says "Character name: Azur"?

The problem is that he only shows a small part of his chat history which doesn't seem to count as valid proof.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    A Cryptic admin posted on one of their other game's forums about this very issue. The basic gist of it was "working as intended" and "we are aware of the abuse".

Said Admin went on to state that the ONLY use of the report spam feature was to be used on RMT ads ONLY. Ignore was for the rest.

If you are using the report spam feature for anything other than the RMT spam, you are abusing it. Stop now, and just use ignore for the other stuff.

Before you argue "but it's another game's forum" or "it's another game's admin"....it is CRYPTIC. They do own and maintain three games. Champions Online, Star Trek and Nevewinter. All three games share the same chat system. Banned in one, banned in all three, if you have characters in those other two games.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    insmrakinsmrak Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I cant read all post but this become xxxxxx..i got banned because i have tried to sell some necklace for gold....believed me or not first time i was think that i have didnt wrote/spell something right and after that on second try banned account....for what ? This is really good question for developers since game have thousand of exploits bugs which ppl use every day. On other hand others spamming and i dont know how many times that selling AD and gold for real money, and from all that xxxx they have banned me ;-)
    I have read terms of use and still cant find what rule did i broke.
    Support service is also tragic....i dont know what or whom they support because i cant get any answer since i send them ticket with my problem.
    All in all this will be huge blows for this game. I m really sorry for wasted to much time in it.
    Admin of forum ban me agein for telling truth here i didnt use for anything better from you and ur company. Rest of u guys sorry for my bad English...i hope u understand me.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    A Cryptic admin posted on one of their other game's forums about this very issue. The basic gist of it was "working as intended" and "we are aware of the abuse".

Said Admin went on to state that the ONLY use of the report spam feature was to be used on RMT ads ONLY. Ignore was for the rest.

If you are using the report spam feature for anything other than the RMT spam, you are abusing it. Stop now, and just use ignore for the other stuff.

Before you argue "but it's another game's forum" or "it's another game's admin"....it is CRYPTIC. They do own and maintain three games. Champions Online, Star Trek and Nevewinter. All three games share the same chat system. Banned in one, banned in all three, if you have characters in those other two games.
    please remember, your total is from IGNORE as well as REPORT SPAM.
    Your total is cumulative, it's not just from that time. IT may be from days ago , you just got the last point you needed for a ban. You may never have been reported for spam but may have got 20 ignores. Same end result.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    also GOLD is forbbiden inn the chat, auto account ban, never use the word GOLD in the chat.
  • Options
    insmrakinsmrak Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    also GOLD is forbbiden inn the chat, auto account ban, never use the word GOLD in the chat.

Where in terms of use is forbidden using word GOLD in chat....i dont get it really. Not spam just once using that word GOLD ???
    I m against spamming or selling ingame currency for real money by other players but this is nonsense. Aslo they should be warning to players who doesnt know that NEW RULES about bann. All in all 2 - 3 weeks of wasted time....not so bad, but never again.
  • Options
    theirishchicktheirishchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Gold is probably banned because of the gold sellers, still though can't there be a trade channel which you can choose to listen to or not?

Tbh it'd be great if people only reported gold selling spam rather than reporting everybody, or at least have a gold AH so people can trade without the chat spam, trade in this game seems problematic atm.
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If enough people report you, even though you may not be spamming. It can limit you for 24 hours. They work on a system like Rift did. Instead of someone personally checking on you, making sure that you didn't do anything wrong. The system will automatically chat ban for 24 hours.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And let's not forget that putting someone in 'ignore' does excatly same thing that 'Report Spam' does. Enough ignores and the 24 hour mute strikes.
    BAM
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.