test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whats the player base population so far?

2»

Comments

• willsommerswillsommers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 103
    edited June 2013
    I like Neverwinter, but I get the feeling each day that there are fewer and fewer. I see fewer and fewer new foundry missions popping up. To me that is a really bad sign. The one thing that could keep the game going for me in the long run is not whatever cryptic does, but the user created content.

Less users = less content = sad state.

I saw a lot more people log on to try gauntl, then it poo poo'd out and that probably sent a lot more potential players back into hiding.
  • armorboxarmorbox Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Eve has 500K that play on one server. Why is it impossible to think that 3 can't hold 1.5 million?

Besides, not everyone logs in at the same time. Even if that 1.5 million is correct, all 1.5 million don't log in at the same time.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Tranquility

Dont try to compare such monster as EVE to NWO. Its just like comparing WOW and tetris. Anyway, NWO is dead MMO.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nevfe wrote: »
    Well, during the end-of-beta event, the most number of instances of Protector's Enclave I saw was 45.

45 * 75 people = 3375. Say that was half the people on the server, which gives us 6750 on the server at once. Now of course not everyone logs on at once, so let's say that's only a 24th of a server's pop - that gives us 164,400, multiply by the 3 servers and we get to 493,200 or just under 0.5 million

In fact at this point I'd say 0.5 mill is possibly a little generous for the active population. Of course the registered accounts figure will be a lot higher, what with gold sellers and sock puppet accounts not to mention all the people that by now have given up and moved on.

Server math is going to be lost on m0st people. This is why popcorn falls heavily. Its also why "linked" accounts across games make numbers look good to investors and administration who never leave their desks and have to call a tech to reset their desktop wallpapers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Eve has 500K that play on one server. Why is it impossible to think that 3 can't hold 1.5 million?

Besides, not everyone logs in at the same time. Even if that 1.5 million is correct, all 1.5 million don't log in at the same time.

The information being moved from server to client is much different between the two. An Eve client logged in takes far, far less server resources than a game like GW2, Rift, NWO, etc. :cool:

A good judge of health *can* be determined by monitoring peak playtimes, and advertised "events" as active players, will seek to participate.

I count 14. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, during the end of open beta, in PE, Dragon server... i saw 90 instances with and Avg of 70 players at some point, thats about 6000, lets say other 4000 playing the multiple instances/areas of the game... thats like 10k playing together, other shards have about 30% less players, so 25k at the same time total (really roughly estimate). 25k total at the same hour usually translates to about 200k active players base, and about 2-2.5 that amount of accounts (at least during the first weeks of the game, as the game lasts, accounts grow and players... not as much). That's a healthy amount of players, if half of the players are pure F2P who dont expend a dime, you have 100k customers who on avg (i read it somewhere, can't remember where) expend 30$ monthly...so i guess its profitable enough to us, players, be confident to have new content and updating the current one for a while.
  • ptreese84ptreese84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I find it humorous to see people whine about how the game is dead and the player base is dropping. Well .. duh ..

The game is 2 days into its official launch. The newness factor is wearing off from beta players so some players will/have move(d) on because they have decided its not their kind of game. Player numbers will drop even more.. less than half of the players that started this game on the 25th, 27th or 30th of April were still around after the first month. How many games have you started and quit minutes, hours or days later because they werent for you? If you are like me then lots...

Numbers will continue to drop until it reaches a base of players who truely enjoy NW. That will be your player base. From that number you can determine the health of the game.

Personally I enjoy the game. Granted there have been quite a few wth moments with bugs, exploits and plain out developer screw ups... but that goes with any game, obviously some more than others. I will be patient and wait. I didnt even try to go to GG because I knew something would go wrong.. it almost feels part of the game. And im sure the new module in the summer will probably crash the servers and we will wait hours or most likely days for that to get resolved.

Point is.. relax. Quit worrying about if the game is dying. If you enjoy playing then play.. if you dont.. go somewhere else. The game will pickup as more people find it and decide they enjoy it. Assuming Crypic doesnt keep ****ing it up....

PS.. @willsommers: The problem with foundries is that it seems like no one cares about them. People dont read the dialog.. they just want to wiz thru it for there daily.. think a lot of people quit putting in the time because they dont seem appreciated anymore.
  • jjeshopjjeshop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1.5 mil in beta all I know is my shard is packed most times I log in, despite the usual whining, the game seems to be doing well, no WoW killer but that wasn't what they were aiming for.

omg WoW kills itself. what a bad game.
    IGN: Teseanna

Closed :D Beta :D Tester
    [SIGPIC]i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/jjeshop/ooo-1.png[/SIGPIC]
  • llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    population numbers dont mean much in f2p games anyhow. there will always be a bloated low end bracket of people trying it out who never stick with it.
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I did miss this kind of failed troll attempts dressed up as concern troll. Thanks OP!
  • mavalonmavalon Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2013
    bongstick wrote: »
    Did you ever think that this is just a marketing line? do you even know how large the amount 1.5 million is? 3 servers (or 1 server divided in 3 shards) for 1.5 million is not even technically possible. (at least i have yet to see that)

So let's say 500k per server/shard. Instances have a limit of 150 people. Let's say out of the 500k 150k logon daily. Let's say out of the 150k, 100k idle/trade in PE.

100000/150 . That means that there are 666 instance running Or even with half of it in PE. If you have a screen shot of that then i will shut up. Most i have seen on Beholder is like 30 instances.

Most of you fan bois are delusional about the state of this game.

Actually guild wars 2 uses a system like this to.
    Its really only 1 server wich they devided for the wvw factions.
    Last official nr's for that game was 3 million players.

I have no idea howmany Neverwinter has.
    But there are other mmo's surviving for 10+ years with 100-200k players.
    And i think/hope Neverwinter will always have more then this.
  • sh4dowrunn3rsh4dowrunn3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    About this 3 servers thing people keep saying. Its called shard for a reason. Shard != server. Shard = a lot of servers each handling a couple/one instance/s. So while traditional 1 server mmo's can't manage to put more then a couple thousand people on 1 server without dying from lag there is no limit here - can always add more servers to manage more people with more instances.

So in other mmo's you are playing with just a few thousand players, here you can play with millions. Price for that is heavy instancing of course... when in other games you got a more open/persistent world. Kinda wish Cryptic managed to merge best of both worlds.

And if they merge all 3 shards but keep all servers they using currently nothing should really change, performance wise.
  • kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    3 servers (or 1 server divided in 3 shards) for 1.5 million is not even technically possible.
    1.5 million on 3 servers? trololo

/facepalm at all the wannabe engineers in this thread.

If you don't know what you're talking about, perhaps it's best not to talk about it?

Or, at the very least, question rather than asserting or ridiculing.
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Did you ever think that this is just a marketing line? do you even know how large the amount 1.5 million is? 3 servers (or 1 server divided in 3 shards) for 1.5 million is not even technically possible. (at least i have yet to see that)

So let's say 500k per server/shard. Instances have a limit of 150 people. Let's say out of the 500k 150k logon daily. Let's say out of the 150k, 100k idle/trade in PE.

100000/150 . That means that there are 666 instance running Or even with half of it in PE. If you have a screen shot of that then i will shut up. Most i have seen on Beholder is like 30 instances.

Most of you fan bois are delusional about the state of this game.

Yep Bongstick is the man with the details go Bongstick
  • zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really wonder why we care. I mean the total subscriber base should not have any effect on your enjoyment of the game. Unless you are a stock holder the data is meaningless and even then it is meaningless as the only number that should matter to a stock holder is the profit ratio. Personally I could care less if there are 10 million, 1 million or 1 thousand people, my game fun is still what it is.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I wanted this game to be successful. But the failures of the dev team has been super epic fail. I have less and less hope for this game everytime something new is added to it. I am glad i only waisted 10bucks so far on this game.

The population question i posted was to figure out if the game has a strong player base needed to keep the game going or are they going to pull the plug. I would rather people know about this before anyone waists anymore cash on a game that is going to fail.

There will be a tipping piont when they have to pull the plug on the game
  • thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very few games publish the number of players they have now. Now even SWTOR.

It won't matter though because all it counts is whether you can find players to enjoy the games together with you. Let's say in a game with a self-proclaimed 400k players like EvE but all you find yourself doing is jumping around empty spaces without seeing anybody else it is meaningless, or in a game like War of Tanks you may see hundreds of thousands of tanks at once but they never have any player interaction it is also useless.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Really where does that 1.5 million number come from?

MMO Statistics? Think you can google it. Neverwinter server population or close to that.
  • assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    its dead. very dead. its in darkness buried in eternity of death. 完美时空
  • nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Another metric you can use is to look at sites like xfire.com

http://www.xfire.com/games/nw

The graph on that page tells its own story.
  • iorion33iorion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you think about it, with those drawn to player created content and D&D fans, the game will likely for a long time generate enough interest to keep at least one server up. For those of us that enjoy it, that's all that really matters. And for those of you who don't, irrelevant of how many play, you still aren't having fun. So just move on, there's a good fit for you somewhere out there.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    CoH CoV proved a game could be making a profit and still be closed. NCsoft's dumbest mistake.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Considering Cryptic and PWE are keeping Champions alive. With assurances to the player base that the game is both still profitable and not in any danger of closing. Its safe to say NW is in no danger what so ever. NW has a VERY long way to go before it reaches CO levels.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    armorbox wrote: »
    http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Tranquility

Dont try to compare such monster as EVE to NWO. Its just like comparing WOW and tetris. Anyway, NWO is dead MMO.

So Cryptic is fudging the numbers by claiming 50+ instances of PE on one server are full and the people I see running around are figments of my imagination.

Thanks for that, if those are real though then I wonder how the game is dead, a dead MMO typically has far less than 2500 players in the main town on a single server.
  • nikmal2013nikmal2013 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    No company and I DO mean NO company will give you true numbers. Unless you are a stock holder for said company. We as a consumer do not need to know the numbers. You are not going to be even close to the number base, based on the number of people logged in to any given instances either. There was WAY to many instances of different areas that you can not possibly get any accurate readings on who is playing and the number playing at any given time. The only way to accurately to do that is to own the servers and see how many are on the server. Otherwise you are GUESSING!! Even then it is not close.

I do not care if there is 1.5 million or 1 player. I want to play the game and have fun doing it. Speculating and or demanding on numbers for your own base needs will get you absolutely no where. Neither will giving misinformation on saying that based on the number of instances in Protector's Enclave being accurate or even close.

Do not say that Cryptic will not give numbers because they are afraid.. as no company divulges these numbers as they are not needed for us. They do NOT affect us in any way shape or form! If you want said numbers, become a stock holder and then you might... and I mean just might find a accurate number. Until then you are making assumptions and ones based off of very inaccurate information.

All game companies do this. There are a number of reasons companies give the numbers they do and they are not necessarily lies because they are not lies per se.. numbers could be accounts, could be number of people logging in during a given time period or something else. Until you know the reasons for said numbers. Stop with the assumptions. BTW Blizzard does this more then any other company I know!!
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nikmal2013 wrote: »
    There are a number of reasons companies give the numbers they do and they are not necessarily lies because they are not lies per se.. numbers could be accounts, could be number of people logging in during a given time period or something else. Until you know the reasons for said numbers. Stop with the assumptions. BTW Blizzard does this more then any other company I know!!

Ya i know its not technically lies per say.

Just like this example " I hit your parked car in a parking lot with my car. And you didnt see it. But heard it. And you ask me if i hit your car. I say no i didnt hit your car. Thats not a lie, because my car rolled into your car. I physically never touched your car my car touched yours but i never did. " BUt if you asked the right question "Did your car hit my car. Then i would have to say yes it did sorry.

Company's and corporations love to do these well its not lies type answers.

Blizzard uses how many subs they have.

I would have to say there is maybe 400k people playing the game and probly 40k are bots.