test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Using METRIC measurements resulting in a banned account???

2»

Comments

• Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    there is alot more going on here than the OP is letting on....
  • Options
    dilligaf76dilligaf76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lichlament wrote: »
    there is alot more going on here than the OP is letting on....

no, it's really sad, but there is nothing else to this story.. That is why I am so disappointed.. hell, i've even still continued to defend PWE and Cryptic in this very thread
  • Options
    srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I believe you, one time i got banned for 3 days on ddo for saying the N word to a friend via PMs (believe or not, all i said after he said to me wattupp b... and i replied yoyoyo wattup N----, and bam banned for 3 days), and i know he didnt report me since we know each other IRL, the N word must be in the keyword profanity filter on ddo and i triggered by just using PMs.
  • Options
    killerellakillerella Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I sent you a PM dilligaf76
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    srazy wrote: »
    I believe you, one time i got banned for 3 days on ddo for saying the N word to a friend via PMs (believe or not, all i said after he said to me wattupp b... and i replied yoyoyo wattup N----, and bam banned for 3 days), and i know he didnt report me since we know each other IRL, the N word must be in the keyword profanity filter on ddo and i triggered by just using PMs.

FBI_watching_you.jpg
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    dilligaf76dilligaf76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    not really sure what you are saying by colouring the words in someone elses post....
  • Options
    crysara84crysara84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same thing happened to me...

Last Friday (14th) I helped a player and explained the professions to him in group chat... then I was afk 5 min, returned and wanted to write him I'll take a break now...

Line didn't got through, I thought maybe it's lag and posted it again.

You have been forcefully disconnected.

Your account has been banned.

Immediately sent a support ticket but well, still no answer after also full 7 days now.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    crysara84 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me...

Last Friday (14th) I helped a player and explained the professions to him in group chat... then I was afk 5 min, returned and wanted to write him I'll take a break now...

Line didn't got through, I thought maybe it's lag and posted it again.

You have been forcefully disconnected.

Your account has been banned.

Immediately sent a support ticket but well, still no answer after also full 7 days now.

and you still cant log in? man, this is getting scary. I dont want to lose all that work (and money) for something that clearly didnt violate any terms of use
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry, but I have to be that person

You got banned for 'spamming' 1 (as you said the second one did not go through which would mean you were reported long before that) message in -PARTY- chat? Yeah. no. Sorry, I'm simply not buying it. Even if this silly conspiracy theory about bots deciding bans were true, this is utterly ridiculous and there is no possible way that ANYONE could have reported or banned you for -spamming- in party chat. The fact that you came here talking about "Oh yeah man, what did they ban me for, using metric measurements? LOL" just.. no.

There is obviously something more to this, like, maybe you were one of those many many people spamming your adds about dogs in zone chat and got report spammed but accidentally banned by way of human error or something. I don't know. Or you're just making this whole thing up, pandering to people who just look for reasons to hate companies and games :P I just find this whole story extremely hard to believe.

C'est la vie.
  • Options
    talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2013
    As there are people mindlessly believing everything told to them, there are also people who mindlessly dismiss everything told to them I guess.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »

You got banned for 'spamming' 1 (as you said the second one did not go through which would mean you were reported long before that) message in -PARTY- chat? Yeah. no. Sorry, I'm simply not buying it. Even if this silly conspiracy theory about bots deciding bans were true, this is utterly ridiculous and there is no possible way that ANYONE could have reported or banned you for -spamming- in party chat. The fact that you came here talking about "Oh yeah man, what did they ban me for, using metric measurements? LOL" just.. no.

There is obviously something more to this, like, maybe you were one of those many many people spamming your adds about dogs in zone chat and got report spammed but accidentally banned by way of human error or something. I don't know. Or you're just making this whole thing up, pandering to people who just look for reasons to hate companies and games :P I just find this whole story extremely hard to believe.

C'est la vie.

There's one easy way to test it out. TRY it out. Do the very same thing the OP states he/she did. Until you do, your opinion is duly noted, and rejected by a player well versed in Cryptic's game practices and past perfomance. That means, I've been playing Cryptic games since '09, when Champions Online came out, and I've got characters in all three of Craptic's games now. All three games share the same base engine, graphics and coding. The automated chat banbot IS in effect in Star Trek Online, I can verify. I do not put it past Craptic to enforce it here.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    This scares me, there are a lot of new players in game, and I've been chatting and answering questions in zone chat all day long. Should I just stay silent? That seems very unfair to new players. But I'm worried that if I inadvertently say the wrong thing, I'll get a 24hr ban :(

Sad to say, it is actually safest if you don't help anyone in /Zone - I tend to send them a tell personally. If someone disagrees with your advice in /Zone or just feels in a bad mood they could ignore or worse report spam you and that would lead to a chat ban....
  • Options
    edited June 2013

C'est la vie.

if you believe me or not is of little concern. You are neither an admin or a moderator so you are entitled to your views. I have given the facts as they occurred and others have also added their stories as well.

the "dog" in question wasn't a skeleton dog either... it was a Vicious Dire Wolf from my founders pack that I had spent a very long time levelling so why shouldnt I say in chat I was excited when it was only 1mm away from the top.

I'm not a spammer. I did not make this up.. and if you look, you will see me defending the company in this very thread so i am certain you can see i'm not out to hurt cryptic.

I posted my problem in the forum because I too find this extremely hard to believe and was hoping others could possibly point me in the right direction for help on such an odd matter.

sorry if that offends you at all... not my intention. just wanted to tell my story
  • Options
    relnorelno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dilligaf76 wrote: »
    thats the first thing i did... i got the automated response back but i'm not holding my breath...
    i'm a founder... no warnings... just thrown out

so just for understanding

1. you spent lots of money on an unfinished product
    2. by doing so, you made a commitment and showed, that you are willing to spend money based on "faith/expectations"
    3. so cryptic knows, that you will continue with the game because of your commitment, and will be likely spending more money, if they can reinforce your faith/ your expectations
    4. so it doesnt really matter, if they screw you over for some time, you will most likely come back and then spend money again (and buy all the stuff anyway, which was released when you take/took a time off)

i m not sure what you are surprised about?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    relno wrote: »
    so just for understanding

1. you spent lots of money on an unfinished product
    2. by doing so, you made a commitment and showed, that you are willing to spend money based on "faith/expectations"
    3. so cryptic knows, that you will continue with the game because of your commitment, and will be likely spending more money, if they can reinforce your faith/ your expectations
    4. so it doesnt really matter, if they screw you over for some time, you will most likely come back and then spend money again (and buy all the stuff anyway, which was released when you take/took a time off)

i m not sure what you are surprised about?

ever heard of "kickstarter" there are millions of people like me who would spend money on a good idea to help it get off the ground. Just as there are million of users like you who are just that USERS.. you dont help anyone, you just expect to take until there is nothing left to take.

find another place to spread your illwill.. I'm here to ask for answers, not listen to whining brats like you
  • Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have to say. After the fall of City of Heroes due to the @#!$ at NCSoft, I too placed alot of faith in my old friends at Cryptic. But truth be told this isnt a good company. I see the problems in Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and now here in Neverwinter and I wonder whether it's just lack of contact with the community or actual just plain lack of concern for the playerbase they are making games for.

Truth is, keep on voicing your complaints. Matt Miller once said something that rings very true to me, and shows me just what type of person he is. While I cant quote it verbatim the gist of it was "As long as I hear the people complaining about the product, I know they at least care enough TO complain about it. If they didn't love the game, they wouldn't care and just leave."
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You got banned for 'spamming' 1 (as you said the second one did not go through which would mean you were reported long before that) message in -PARTY- chat? Yeah. no. Sorry, I'm simply not buying it.

The fact that you came here talking about "Oh yeah man, what did they ban me for, using metric measurements? LOL" just.. no.

I just find this whole story extremely hard to believe.

It is endlessly sad that this industry has come to this lowpoint. I don’t really mean the autobanning but that is really deficient as well. I mean the public acceptance and defense of this sort of disengagement. The company just washes their hands of you with smokescreens and shell games and everyone thinks it is just fine. Someone here described this game as the “best mmo out there”.

Really, THIS is the best? It’s like the next generation of gamers is chewing on glass and arguing over which color tastes the least like blood. Where is the critical thinking, even the vaguest attention to detail?

Take the above quoted poster. I made the same mistake at first. I thought it was just a normal chat bullying by other players but just a few more posts of reading and attention showed it was something more. Just a few more posts, reading. If you think this is the best the industry has to offer then perhaps you deserve what you find here.

Someone asked my why, with all my polemics, do I stay in the game and the community. I have some hope for the IP, for one thing. I want to see how the next game affects this one for another. And I desperately hope that the upcoming generation of gamers can awaken to the understanding that the crowd they are in gets sheared regularly. And PWE/Cryptic knows it.

Sorry about your ban OP. It’s largely economic, no money to pay for a governing body. It is also a hallmark of the sort of terrible decision making now common to Cryptic. There are other games that have better systems, are more stable, and might even be more entertaining. They just don’t have the D&D intellectual property. IF you want a suggestion let me know and I will be happy to refer one to you. Not to imply that you couldn’t look around and find one yourself.

As far as the customer service is concerned though, Hero of the North or not, just like with the autoban system. There will be no aid.

As far as Cryptic is concerned, you’re just not worth it.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's pretty clear what happened. The OP sent a chat line that had some goldseller keyword in it. He got an automated warning from the system, which he ignored. He then repeated his post, so the system autobanned him.

Working as intended.

And the lesson of the day is: read the warning messages, and stop doing things it tells you to stop doing.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    relnorelno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    It's pretty clear what happened. The OP sent a chat line that had some goldseller keyword in it. He got an automated warning from the system, which he ignored. He then repeated his post, so the system autobanned him.

Working as intended.

And the lesson of the day is: read the warning messages, and stop doing things it tells you to stop doing.

Doubleplusgood!
  • Options
    koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited June 2013

Working as intended.

^ ^ ^
    This! Dead on! Couldn't have said it better!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Working as intended.

This is exactly what happened.. read the original post - it says that.

since posting i have found out why i was banned (goldseller keyword) and have found out that it's a 24 or 72 hour ban and that some people are still banned after a week.

The forum post has well and truly been answered.

that being said, for such a serious ban the warning should be a little more specific other than just saying spamming and bad web links aren't permitted.

i did not spam and did not post a bad web link. Perhaps people should be treated a little more lenient when the bans are so tough? Perhaps a disconnection from the game with an explanation of the reason for being kicked (automated is perfectly fine) and a ban if the offence is committed again
  • Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Working as intended.

And to this I say....bull****. Working as intended is just another buzzword (or in this case buzzphrase) that people use to simplify rules so no thinking is involved. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like working as intended, Zero Tolerance are all just silly excuses to streamline something that really should be handled by people. So no. Not working as intended. Not in the slightest
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Working as intended.

Working as intended? If that were true, it would ONLY ban the true spammers of restricted websites. When innocent players are inadvertently getting banned, due to a ban system that's well intentioned yet dangerous, this is neither optimal nor "working as intended". Anytime there is a system in place that auto-bans revenue generating customers, then there's a problem, a big problem. Imagine if your phone company started using real time chat filtering, and the 1st time you inadvertently said/typed the wrong word, you got banned and locked out from your phone. Do you not think there would be a mass exodus from this phone company?

Its not always possible to see/read a system generated message, especially if you are a keyboard typist, or if the chat if flying by, like in the world chat. The system would work a lot better if there was a fail-safe way to acknowledge the receipt of the "well intentioned" warning, like a simple pop-up. Your chat/game simply ceases to function, and you can not continue until you acknowledge the popup. That way, there would be no doubt that the message was for you, and there would be no chance of missing the message as it scrolls by. This 1 change would eliminate 90% of all inadvertent ban victims. As an added benefit, it would also stop the real spammers in their tracks, because we would only ever see maybe 1 line of restricted chat in the world chat, rather than 100s.
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    killerella wrote: »
    Working as intended? If that were true, it would ONLY ban the true spammers of restricted websites. When innocent players are inadvertently getting banned, due to a ban system that's well intentioned yet dangerous, this is neither optimal nor "working as intended". Anytime there is a system in place that auto-bans revenue paying customers, then there's a problem, a big problem. Imagine if your phone company started using real time chat filtering, and the 1st time you inadvertently said/typed the wrong word, you got banned and locked out from your phone. Do you not think there would be a mass exodus from this phone company?

Its not always possible to see/read a system generated message, especially if you are a keyboard typist, or if the chat if flying by, like in the world chat. The system would work a lot better if there was a fail-safe way to acknowledge the receipt of the "well intentioned" warning, like a simple pop-up. Your chat/game simply ceases to function, and you can not continue until you acknowledge the popup. That way, there would be no doubt that the message was for you, and there would be no chance of missing the message as it scrolls by. This 1 change would eliminate 90% of all inadvertent ban victims. As an added benefit, it would also stop the real spammers in their tracks, because we would only ever see maybe 1 line of restricted chat in the world chat, rather than 100s.

It might if the bans were limited to chat, but apparently it also includes in game mail. My roommate received spam from a gold farmer site in his in game mail, so he sent a reply back not realizing it was automated spam, in the reply he must have used one of the "trigger" words the spam bot detects because he found his account banned.

However he did contact customer service and it was reversed a couple days later as an honest mistake.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    It might if the bans were limited to chat, but apparently it also includes in game mail. My roommate received spam from a gold farmer site in his in game mail, so he sent a reply back not realizing it was automated spam, in the reply he must have used one of the "trigger" words the spam bot detects because he found his account banned.

However he did contact customer service and it was reversed a couple days later as an honest mistake.

Wow, that's not good, did he at least get an email warning 1st?
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    im not a new player tho... i'm a founder at lv 60... even my pet is (1mm away from) lv 30

in a guild.. never done a thing wrong..

but yeah, you can be sure i will never say another word in /party again

You were talking in party and got a ban? wow in several years of playing various different MMO's hosted by various different companies that is most definitely a first , I really feel for you lol , makes you feel like not bothering to help new players and stuff just incase...
  • Options
    dcoy1dcoy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i dont agree dcoy... sure, the need to make cash but this is hands down the best MMO out there at the moment. even with bugs (and it shouldnt be out of beta yet) it's better than a lot of other stuff out there

Since my comments were on the state of the MMO industry as a whole, comparing this game to others isn't really relevant. Being the best pile of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> doesn't mean your not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    i just want to say to all the naysayers out there this one question..

Why would anyone wait until they're level 60 to start spamming and gold selling? not that I know, but I'm guessing these jokers rarely pass lv10
  • Options
    axetomouth86axetomouth86 Banned Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The mute system is a load of **** meights, they need to sort it out, too many people are being muted for doing absolutely nothing just like the OP....sad story.