Install Arc
Options

Trading Reviews - The Lonely Dagger Inn

2»

Comments

• Options
    avatre21avatre21 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have been thinking about that, a pit and ladder down to the cellar and attempting the collapsing floor for the temple itself. I have used max encounters in the temple, however. I don't see how I could change this all around without losing and having to redo all the details and dialogue. I didn't even discover I could use openable doors besides the transaction door in the details until after my third edit. It is something I will keep in mind for the sequel.
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

The Beginning of the End:
    Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    avatre21 wrote: »
    I have been thinking about that, a pit and ladder down to the cellar and attempting the collapsing floor for the temple itself. I have used max encounters in the temple, however. I don't see how I could change this all around without losing and having to redo all the details and dialogue. I didn't even discover I could use openable doors besides the transaction door in the details until after my third edit. It is something I will keep in mind for the sequel.

It will require alot of work, and saving dialogue in notepad or something. (You should see the notes i've gathered for my quests. So easy to lose that little detail you intended to fix, but forgot about.)
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    hb4gaminghb4gaming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    mee2002 wrote: »

- The first prisoner turned on me before I could finish reading her dialogue. The combat knocked me out of the window so while I was fighting her, the original her was still there and I had to talk to her again.

- Last dialogue with Sian closed before I could finish reading it. I just saw a quick screen flash of it.

- After getting the key from the Acolyte the body stands up and dies again.

- During the fight with the priestess the girl you save (forgot her name) steps down to cower, then pops back up in the air afterwards. (I liked her cower text though!)

I played The Lonely Dagger Inn and, like mee2002, thoroughly enjoyed it! I also had virtually the same notes as far as glitches I experienced (see above).

The story was great and definitely left me wanting more. I read the additional book from cover to cover and really thought that added to the story in a way that isn't forced upon people who aren't much for plot. Well done! I subscribed and am excited to play further in your storyline! I'm hoping you publish the second installment before I have to go to bed tonight... but if not, I can be patient... I think. :D
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I played it with a green-geared (and unslotted) GF and was about to post that the fights were too easy, that you were hardly noticing that the mobs were hitting you. Than I played it again with my purple-geared (and slotted) GWF and nearly died in the first series of fights. So, the fights are balanced after all.

There too many teleports. You enter a place, just have a 2-sentence dialog with an NPC, and it's over, nothing else to de but teleporting somewhere else. You're in a whole house, with bedrooms and so on, and nothing to do, no chest to find, nothing to investigate. Too many empty spaces.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The location of The Lonely Dagger - that is, right next to the urchin - was a little odd given that he never once said "this building here" or something along those lines. After the description of the inn and its nefarious goings on, I was a bit disappointed not to find it at the end of a long, dark alley.

Once inside...

OK, the customers are scared away, but where are the inanimate objects you would expect in an inn? Where are the tankards? Why are there scrolls in the wine rack and not bottles of wine?

The '5' encounters in the cellar were almost one. There could have been a little breather between each group spawn, which would add some time to the length of the quest, but having said that, the combat was not too difficult.

The back in time sequence was awesome. Found a glitch though: when talking to Sian in the shadow realm, the dialogue closed by itself before I had finished hearing her story and Sian disappeared (see mee2002 had the same happen to them).

Spawned into the Limbo map stuck in the flagstones.

The level of combat throughout was good for my L60 CW, though may feel a little too easy for those who prefer more challenging encounters.

In general I enjoyed the quest, but like talli0 found I kept losing the thread of the story and wondered if I had missed a conversation or book or two, or had just been a very bad listener. The maps were quite disjointed too, which added to the sense of "what's going on??" (Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you).

Not sure if you have enough feedback for your initial questions, but my comments on them are:
    1. Good to easy. Though I probably picked easy option when it appeared - can't remember it.
    2. Quest is the perfect length.
    3. There is enough story, I just feel the (side) details could do with tightening up a little as the identity and motive of the Urchin Boy is mystery enough for one quest.

As always, really appreciate the efforts you guys and girls go to.
  • Options
    avatre21avatre21 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've extended the first prisoner and Sian's dialogue to a final one/two word page. With the additional story parts I put in not being a part of the quest objectives, I can only make her disappear at the end of a dialogue (I think). The quest objective is to speak to the first prisoner so she should disappear correctly when that conversation is completely over, but the spawn is linked to the end of the dialogue again. This additional one or two word dialogue isn't ideal but it should be a suitable fix.

I'll work on the details in the Inn and perhaps use a portal instead of a transaction to get down to the cellar, but I'm not prepared to redo the entire temple to remove that transaction, especially as I have max encounters. I will work on keeping the zoning to a minimum for the second installment, however.

I'm not sure what I can do to tighten up the story, but I will take another look at it and see what I can do. The questions are left there to be answered in the followups.

vortix44 I'm not entirely sure you were playing the right quest? I wouldn't say I have two many teleports and certainly not ones that lead to a 2 sentence dialogue with nothing else to do. I suppose that could be an exaggeration of the original barmaids conversation at the beginning and as I've said above I'll work on putting in an instant teleport to the cellar instead of a load screen. The Inn is a bit boring though, I have to agree. When I sort the details out in there i'll be sure to add in some interactables, perhaps a cowering adventurer or two and perhaps even a short story from one of those 'brave' adventurers.

Oh, and I've also moved the transaction after the street urchin to the world map, where it should have been in the first place!

Thank you everyone for playing it and for your feedback, it's much appreciated :) I'll get the second out soon, though hopefully with less initial problems ;)
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

The Beginning of the End:
    Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW