Install Arc
Options

Update to Proposed End Game Loot Changes

Comments

• Options
    thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    balerathon wrote: »
    A big part of WoW for me was hitting cap, then having to create a long term roadmap to BiS gear. Had to first do Dailies to get the token gear that would allow me to tank Heroic dungeons, which would allow me to tank T1s, then T2, then T3. It took me at least 2 months just to get to the point where I could tank T1s, and while it was repetitive, and at times annoying man by the time I did hit T1, I was rockin.

You kind of prove several of our points with that. You got your gear and earned everything you wanted. There was literally nothing to do after that. With a BoE system, you can keep running those instances, which means fully geared, knowledgeable people will play with newbies, which means that people will get their gear (need), and the greed folks will have a reason to keep doing the same content. It's genius, but the whiny Special Snowflake people are going to do their damndest to end that. Same group of people that came to Diablo 3, bought all the best gear on the AH, then complained why they had nothing else to do.
  • Options
    leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Glad I only bought 4x pieces of gear for a future character. Maybe next time you could propose a change & gather feedback rather than saying this is how it is going to be and backtrack after feedback?
  • Options
    datmiraomgdatmiraomg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dear developers ..just fix dungeons exploits and u will see how dramaticaly it will change game economy....talking mostly about FH,CN,karru...u fixed ToS - dont tell me it is so hard to do it in CN or FH ....karru camp fire running and boss pulling isnt so horrible...but FH and CN ...LOL .)
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    datmiraomg wrote: »
    Dear developers ..just fix dungeons exploits and u will see how dramaticaly it will change game economy....talking mostly about FH,CN,karru...u fixed ToS - dont tell me it is so hard to do it in CN or FH ....karru camp fire running and boss pulling isnt so horrible...but FH and CN ...LOL .)

Exacly, and u know whats funny ?? Gauntlegrym was released yesterday and theres already ways to run to the last boss and fight him outside the boss room (T1 dungeon)

Some people never learn.... Cryptic really need to hired new testers
  • Options
    iwrestlebearziwrestlebearz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    datmiraomg wrote: »

Little issue with this logic, not sure why people don't understand basic supply & demand. Cutting the supply will actually drive the price of items up because there will be less product available but the demand for high-end items will remain the same, if not increase.

Dungeon exploits should be fixed eventually, but the game economy is a pretty crappy excuse for a reason to do so. And really with everything else that needs work in this game (new class, 3 paragon paths, etc.), I would much rather them spend development time on other things than adding more invisible walls.

On a different note...

I was glad to see the BoP loot change didn't go through. Frankly, I was surprised Cryptic listened on this one but I am glad they did. Really if they were just to make loot that somebody hits "need" on bound to character, that'd probably solve the ninja looting problem in most cases.

As for whether or not buying high-end gear is a problem, I really don't think so. At heart, Neverwinter is not a hardcore game. We aren't raiding 20 hours to get 2 epics per boss every week. This game is much more casual. I honestly don't care if someone buys all the gear my BiS Rogue has - good for them, hope they enjoy it. Seems like a solution without a problem to me. Trying to balance game loot around people buying gear honestly creates more problems than it solves.
  • Options
    elleffgeeelleffgee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Little issue with this logic, not sure why people don't understand basic supply & demand. Cutting the supply will actually drive the price of items up because there will be less product available but the demand for high-end items will remain the same, if not increase.

Dungeon exploits should be fixed eventually, but the game economy is a pretty crappy excuse for a reason to do so. And really with everything else that needs work in this game (new class, 3 paragon paths, etc.), I would much rather them spend development time on other things than adding more invisible walls.

On a different note...

I was glad to see the BoP loot change didn't go through. Frankly, I was surprised Cryptic listened on this one but I am glad they did. Really if they were just to make loot that somebody hits "need" on bound to character, that'd probably solve the ninja looting problem in most cases.

As for whether or not buying high-end gear is a problem, I really don't think so. At heart, Neverwinter is not a hardcore game. We aren't raiding 20 hours to get 2 epics per boss every week. This game is much more casual. I honestly don't care if someone buys all the gear my BiS Rogue has - good for them, hope they enjoy it. Seems like a solution without a problem to me. Trying to balance game loot around people buying gear honestly creates more problems than it solves.

More importantly for a F2P game, their monetization comes from selling zen, and a significant part of those sales go to the zen exchange to buy items on the AH with.

Lets take a look at these "best in slot" items - primary weapons for example, they run average over a million AD, but for arguments sake lets say they sell for only 750k AD. Currently on Mindflayer conversion is around 320 AD per zen, for simplicity lets use 300, simple math, 750000 divided by 300 = 2500 zen (which equates to $25 US) bought to purchase that single "BIS" item off the AH. I think when they run this past their accountants they'll come to the conclusion that it is in their best interest for monetization of their game to keep them as BoE.

Yes money is important if they want to stay in business. While I can't imagine spending that much money on a virtual item in a virtual world, it's apparent that someone out there is. I say good for them, if they have more money than time and choose to spend it that way, that's their business, it's not a "seriously competitive" game, it's a fun to explore and enjoy the content game in my personal opinion.
  • Options
    taishaku77taishaku77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks Zeke!

Greats to see that you're listening.

Personally I do like the idea of Need = Bound to Character even if need remained class specific. This would encourage more people to use greed even in the late game while properly punishing players for needing when they don't truly need the items.

But, please please please implement the salvage system as you had it right now!

I really hate throwing away my outdated epic gear for a pittance of gold. On top of that some of the items are truly worth less than they should be on the auction house. The salvage system as it is could establish a base line AD value for many of the lesser desired items.

EDIT - On the note of seals: They truly become worthless after you start getting good gear. Even the low level ones aren't worth using since you outlevel the gear that you would purchase faster than you obtain seals.
    Seals need to get some alternate use. Perhaps as item upgrades or a means to purchase rare profession resources such as Dragon Eggs?

Pretty much this, and please make need button class related, so that if a boss drops an item good for a class, only that class can roll need.
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    every class should have an equal chance at getting the best gear... if some classes score much lower than others they should still be able to get the best gear drops equally as much
  • Options
    blueboxerblueboxer Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Awesome idea with one modification - BoP and no vendor - there is absolutely no no reason to Need it if you don't actually need it!

I strongly dislike BoP, but I like constant needers even less, so that would be a great compromise
  • Options
    lorenthel1lorenthel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

I really like this idea. This would prevent people from rolling need on stuff they plan to sell in the ah when someone in the group actually would use the item.

I would go a step further and make items looted with Need unable to be sold to a vendor either.
  • Options
    blink921blink921 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11
    edited June 2013
    The need =BOP and Greed= BOE way is also flawed. For CW,TR,GWF There are chances of being two of you and ninjaing is still possible. There really is no true way to fix it. I think making high-end gear BOP would make the gear more valuable to the person winning. but what happens if you already have the piece that drops? sell it to a vendor for 1-2g or If you put the AD vendor in most likely it will be no were near what it would be worth on the ah. I don't really have any suggestions on what should be done but its getting better than when i started having all your gear taking by a class than cant even use it.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am still hoping that we will see the Salvager make it to live sometime, it was a really good idea, and a way to dispose of unwanted epics that we know won't sell, but at least gives us something towards the stuff that we actually want and need.

C'mon Cryptic, give us the salvage, I've got a pile of junk just itching to be salvaged
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    I am still hoping that we will see the Salvager make it to live sometime, it was a really good idea, and a way to dispose of unwanted epics that we know won't sell, but at least gives us something towards the stuff that we actually want and need.

C'mon Cryptic, give us the salvage, I've got a pile of junk just itching to be salvaged

Really not sure why you are attached to that. If items stay BoE, the AH market is a far better price than a salvage guy who gives copper on the gold.

The need/greed has been fixed. Again, cannot understand why people are still complaining. So what if there are two TRs or two CWs in a party? So you both need and you have a 50/50 chance. Or, one person greeds and the needy guy gets it. Or both greed and the entire party has a chance. Also as more classes get added there will less chance of dupes also.

People seem to be in this myopic view that loot is all about what you can use personally. That has zero to do with adventuring. Adventuring has been a mercenary occupation since forever. You go out in your adventure to earn glory, gold, riches, etc. Not just to gear yourself. Save the town, get the girl, accumulate wealth, get that shiny medal, these are the goals of the courageous adventurer. Further D&D has always been about rolling that die for the chance to get that cool item.

Notice I said chance. I see people wanting everyone to get items from a chest. What is the point of that? Now it is not a chance, the fun of "winning the role" it is just "expected". It should be a chance. When you go "save the town" from the evil Lich, you have no way of knowing what, if any, reward awaits at the end should you even survive.

There is absolutely nothing wrong and everything right with getting loot to sell on the auction house to build your in game nest egg. Having said that, ninja looting just to be greedy is not a nice move but the changes to the need/greed system have fixed that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    Really not sure why you are attached to that. If items stay BoE, the AH market is a far better price than a salvage guy who gives copper on the gold.

Did you actually try out the Salvage option when it was on preview?
    T1 items salavaged for between 3-6k RAD, and T2 items for between 6-10k RAD. All of the items that I could salvage for between 5k and 10k RAD, I could get on the AH for barely 2k..

Not to mention, I like the idea of having an alternative to selling them for gold, I have enough gold for my needs, don't need any more.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
  • Options
    xanquilxanquil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    Notice I said chance. I see people wanting everyone to get items from a chest. What is the point of that? Now it is not a chance, the fun of "winning the role" it is just "expected". It should be a chance. When you go "save the town" from the evil Lich, you have no way of knowing what, if any, reward awaits at the end should you even survive.

The point is "Winning a roll" is not fun. Having to "fight" (roll vs) your party for gear is counter to cooperation.
    If five people went to work for an hour or two(dungeon run) and only the person that rolled highest got a paycheck(loot)people would stop working. To make it worse that paycheck may be only useable if you use a specific bank,(class) and you can't trade it .(bop)
    This is why people want individual loot. Not to be selfish but to work with others for a common goal with a common reward.
    N/G/P is a bad system, has always been a bad system, and most modern games are going away form it.

In order to get more people into dungeons there has to be some sort of incentive. Because after killing that Litch once, having to do it over, and over, and over, and over....again becomes work. And people expect to get paid for work.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Easy solution. If you win on a need roll the item becomes unsellable on the AH or to Vendors including scrapping it for RAD. If you want to sell or get RAD for it you have to roll Greed.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, this still excludes people who choose to play with friends, rather than play with the most skilled people they know.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    Did you actually try out the Salvage option when it was on preview?
    T1 items salavaged for between 3-6k RAD, and T2 items for between 6-10k RAD. All of the items that I could salvage for between 5k and 10k RAD, I could get on the AH for barely 2k..

Not to mention, I like the idea of having an alternative to selling them for gold, I have enough gold for my needs, don't need any more.

There is purple gear selling for over 500,000 AD. Not sure which gear you are getting... If I have a choice between 10K and 500K guess which one I am going to choose:rolleyes:.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is purple gear selling for over 500,000 AD. Not sure which gear you are getting... If I have a choice between 10K and 500K guess which one I am going to choose:rolleyes:.

Well, you can list an item on the AH for whatever you want. Are people actually paying those prices?

At the same time, I think an alternative should be to revamp the Seal vendors to, perhaps, include the T1 and T2 gear, provided you complete the dungeon and for a high number of seals. Seals, overall, could also be granted as random drops for the "trash mobs" in the dungeons, too.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I don't disagree that there are some items that people will spend a lot of AD for, however, there are a lot of items, that, due to not being part of a set, have no intrinsic value to other players, and are basically just vendor trash, or get bought by people that really don't know any better (things like thickgristle's belt). Would it not be good, to have something to do with those items, other than feed them into a gold vendor, that would help bring you one step closer to the howevermuch you need for the item that you DO want?

All I am saying, is that the choice would be nice, right now, you can sell it, or you can vendor it for gold.. I would just like the ability, as was on preview, to vendor it for rough astral diamonds.. Nobody is forcing you into doing so, it is just something that I would like to see make it to live.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    chinjay1chinjay1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hello this is great
  • Options
    venger0405venger0405 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Loot is screwed up for a few reasons..

1 - Real time cash, even though the game is based around it some people core players have bought their gear withing a day of going 60 now easy farm everything and control the AH pricing.
    2 - All instance have some type exploit to get easy gear, fix this and you will fix some of the issues.
    3 - If it's bots, or going back to the AH mess that people cashed in on there is still weird stuff going on..as an example someone selling 999 exotic leathers and have that posted on the AH several times. Like how the hell do you get 5000 exotic leathers to sell???? I can run all week and barely get 10 lol...

I'm still in the mind set that since the AH mess a few weeks ago everything should have been wiped, now it's to late and without a doubt a lot of people have got away with it.
  • Options
    bushy808bushy808 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    more exploit fixing and less new content that introduces more exploits.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Has BoP been added? the last 2 runs I have done in the epic pirates during a DD has resulted in me getting bound items from the DD chest , I thought this wasn't being added to the live shard yet.
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    BoP need adding asap, and also for ALL tier pieces, there is a great lack of ppl for dungeon queues and tbh its quite understandable.
    why spend up to an hour in a dungeon queue and then another hour in a pug group, which will more than likly disband before the dungeon is complete, you can not invite new ppl to fill the needed space when somone leaves, soo you just wasted 2 hours lol
    Most ppl in my exsperience are not bothering at all with dungeons, at end of the day , what is the point you can openly buy any gear or upgrades you want from the AH and at moment the majority of it is very very cheap,
    my point is all the time you wasted in queue and then joining yet another fail dungeon group, with your own hope of maybe getting a piece of upgrade gear from a boss, is just a total waste of time, you could and can very easily just grind some AD for an hour, then go to the AH and buy what every gear you originaly need in the first place
    Having tier loot on a bind on equipe system actualy make s doing dungeons a total waste of time
    I see and personaly know quite a few players who are fully decked out in full tier 2 sets and BiS gear and they have never even been in 1 dungeon
  • Options
    lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    abcoe wrote: »
    Need = BoP
    Greed = BoE

Problems fixed.

love the idea... would really really help the game. simple but elegant
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Has BoP been added? the last 2 runs I have done in the epic pirates during a DD has resulted in me getting bound items from the DD chest , I thought this wasn't being added to the live shard yet.

It hasn't been added yet, however there are certain items that come from the chest awarded during the Dungeon Delves event, that are bound on pickup, mostly rings it seems.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    dunrobardunrobar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dislike BoP idea keep it the same way its been
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I do not like BOP. Sometimes the randomness of it, never drops the loot you want or someone accidently rolls on the same item and needs it when you do. They discovered AFTER they won the loot. They don't need it. How to arrange a trade. I paid enchanted keys for most of my gear, nothing ashamed about not wanting spend thousands of hours then contribute to the game and directly get the gear.

Why is that a bad thing, when people are able sell gear. They farm it more. I think if they did BOP it should be on a new tier. The design should make it stand out. Make it look really flashy making them want it. For example in another MMO. People looked at my tier gear, green with envy.
  • Options
    talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2013
    My opinion
    -Do away with dungeon delves chest. Give some other arbitrary bonus to dungeon delves like double seal drops
    -Seals can now be used to purchase genuine set items but cost a lot more. Think 500 seals for a pair of gauntlets or something like that.
    -Any loot that drops is bind on equip unless you need, upon wich it binds.

Spend more time on the endgame gear grind, pieces that will be sold will be more valuable due to less overall loot, and you won't be at the mercy of the RNG as much when you can trade in seals for pieces you need.
This discussion has been closed.