test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gauntlgrym

1235»

Comments

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i dont get why people are crying about new content. ITS BEEN OUT FOR 1 DAY!!!
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    this is only a scheduled event? People who work are now lucky if they can get in 1 dungeon delve.

This is a very good point, and definitely a problem for many guilds. The queue system itself is a bumpy ride, but this new scheduled GG system is not a good one and makes it near impossible for guildies to schedule runs. In order for guilds to get 20 peeps together in one place at the same time is challenging enough. To then have to meet the schedule requirement is a really unfortunate handicapp. Quests should be able to be run when WE can run them.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • notmuchleftnotmuchleft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Isn't this just the same mechanic Guildwars used for PvP in the form of Kurzic or Luxon guild allegiance, or is it different somehow? I don't recall it being a problem in that game, why is it a problem here?
    Only two things in this life are infinite. The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former. ~ Albert Einstein
  • rezonedrezoned Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What some of the recent posters in this thread fail to see is that this content allows guilds to communicate with other guilds. That's a good deal for those happily in a guild. It's guild content. It's optional, a quest for those who want to try something a little different with your guildies.. containing both PvE or PvP. It's what you make it. The guild community is HUGE in this game, consisting of many thousands of people.

For those whining about they hate it, they killed the game, my mommy is now calling her attorney.. I mean PLEASE grow up!

If you don't want to participate, don't. Some quests arent for everyone, and Gauntlgyrm certainly isnt for everyone... even if you ARE in a guild.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the fact there's any PvP in it at all... but I respect it for what it is, an attempt to get fellow guilds (and even the PvEers and PvPrs within the same guild) working together for a common cause.

However, if you are just going to join a guild just to play GG - you're missing the point. That is not a reason to join a guild. If you can't get over the fact that this quest isnt designed the way you intended... then be satisfied that there's hundreds of other quests out there just calling your name. :)

And with what seems to be another mod that can't articulate himself without being insulting to others in the forum, seriously how old are some of these mods.

Start reading other posts on this forum, seems to me like the player base are NOT happy with gaunt as it is.

This forum makes me laugh they ask for feedback from players, then you get flamed by a minority of players and even worse insulting comments from mods who seem to sometimes fan the flames.

Oh and please show me the hundreds of quests at 60 that I can do. there are a few good foundry ones but it is only a few.

Quote Originally Posted by aandrethegiant View Post
    What some..
    Except that this is the only new content. Nice attitude btw, I hope you don't actually represent the dev's thinking.

THIS
  • chikazochikazo Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Quick fact: Our guild leader COULDN'T decide our guild alignment, a RANDOM member could
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is a very good point, and definitely a problem for many guilds. The queue system itself is a bumpy ride, but this new scheduled GG system is not a good one and makes it near impossible for guildies to schedule runs. In order for guilds to get 20 peeps together in one place at the same time is challenging enough. To then have to meet the schedule requirement is a really unfortunate handicapp. Quests should be able to be run when WE can run them.

hear hear!
    If you don't want to participate, don't. Some quests arent for everyone, and Gauntlgyrm certainly isnt for everyone... even if you ARE in a guild.

But it's supposed to be. It has crafting, PvE, and PvP. I don't know what else there is. It even includes forum complaining!

I just don't like PvP in my PvE, nor do I like my PvE in my PvP. It's the very reason I don't play on Open PvP servers in other games. Except here, in Neverwinter, it's effectively the end game. I can't escape, except by leaving the game or playing it but doing lower tier things. Still fun, but getting stale.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You do realize this is an mmo, right Rezoned? MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

I like running by myself too sometimes, so I feel ya. However, there is plenty of content in this game you can solo.

Gauntlgrym is a team sport. There's nothing solo about it. This one's for guilds.

People in guilds aren't the only people who can play a team sport. I play sports, and there are the people who want to be part of a team, and people who want to play. The guys who do pickup games will sometimes play two to three games in a row with whoever will have them, whereas the team players usually play one game with their team and go home. Both play hard but want different things out of the experience.

I pug so I can play on my own schedule. I like not being part of a guild so I can help other people create guilds when they need someone to fill the charter. I like meeting new people and talking with them while they find people to make their guild.

Some people who aren't in guilds are more social than you're giving credit. Forcing people into guilds is a limitation of how the devs did the alignment mechanic, not a statement about team play. Further, Gauntlgrym only requires people to be in an aligned guild; it doesn't actually require guilds to field teams. Gauntlgrym is pug, except that it's needlessly elitist because of the guild requirement.
  • bastadbastad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah this guild only entry garbage sapped my will to play the game. IN a guild with no allegiance, so I played my last neverwinter session last night.

later!
  • onybashonybash Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That ugly Gauntlgrym, I was just disappointed. ...
    Get the stones, push carts, turn on the oven ... ...
    Hopefully not propose more ste things to children
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rezoned wrote: »
    So you have to join a guild to be able to do Gauntlgyrm, nice slap in the face for all the players that prefer to play solo and join groups when they want to.

What muppet at Cryptic came up with that idea :(

Not sure why you are even worried about it. The whole gauntlgyrm idea is stupid.

By the time you do enough runs to get a full set of new t2 pvp gear you won't even need or want it. It's just like the drake seals. By the time you have done enough runs to get drake seal items you are either adapted so much to the gear you used to farm the seals that getting this new gear is pointless.

How many runs of gauntlgyrm will you have to run to get a full set of the t2 pvp gear? You get five coins per run? You are going to be so normalized by the gear that you currently use in the pve and pvp parts of the run that getting this new gear is meaningless. The ONLY draw to getting this gear is because it is new. The stats are not that great and it's not like it's going to make you a power house in pvp.

So are the rewards worth all the effort? Well since the loot in the dungeon run at the end is the same stuff you get in all the other dungeon runs, why is gauntlgyrm a better alternative to get the same gear? Because it is something new to do. But actually you have a harder time even getting the t2 because your faction has to win to unlock the t2 dungeon where as if you just run the t2 dungeons that you already know you have a lot better chance of getting the t2 you need.
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    rezoned wrote: »
    And with what seems to be another mod that can't articulate himself without being insulting to others in the forum, seriously how old are some of these mods.

Start reading other posts on this forum, seems to me like the player base are NOT happy with gaunt as it is.

This forum makes me laugh they ask for feedback from players, then you get flamed by a minority of players and even worse insulting comments from mods who seem to sometimes fan the flames.

Oh and please show me the hundreds of quests at 60 that I can do. there are a few good foundry ones but it is only a few.

Quote Originally Posted by aandrethegiant View Post
    What some..
    Except that this is the only new content. Nice attitude btw, I hope you don't actually represent the dev's thinking.

THIS

This is an issue that I wish they would do away with. Having the moderator tag gives some peceived legitimacy to these absurd posts. Cryptic should curb this behavior.
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What some of the recent posters in this thread fail to see is that this content allows guilds to communicate with other guilds. That's a good deal for those happily in a guild. It's guild content. It's optional, a quest for those who want to try something a little different with your guildies.. containing both PvE or PvP. It's what you make it. The guild community is HUGE in this game, consisting of many thousands of people.

For those whining about they hate it, they killed the game, my mommy is now calling her attorney.. I mean PLEASE grow up!

Personally I'm not a big fan of the fact there's any PvP in it at all... but I respect it for what it is, an attempt to get fellow guilds (and even the PvEers and PvPrs within the same guild) working together for a common cause.

However, if you are just going to join a guild just to play GG - you're missing the point. That is not a reason to join a guild. If you can't get over the fact that this quest isnt designed the way you intended... then be satisfied that there's hundreds of other quests out there just calling your name. :)

Players are generally offering their feedback regarding this new content. It's a poor mechanic. That's not whining, that's my opinion and the opinion of the majority so far. There are not hundreds of quests at end-game that offering item progression, that's simply a meaningless retort.
  • aepervius1972aepervius1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited June 2013
    You do realize this is an mmo, right Rezoned? MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

I like running by myself too sometimes, so I feel ya. However, there is plenty of content in this game you can solo.

Gauntlgrym is a team sport. There's nothing solo about it. This one's for guilds.

I find that funny you all mention that, because the biggest instance hold , what, 160 player ? That's protector enclave. The other instance (levelling one) I saw maybe 30 to 40 players.

instanced game are as far away as "massively" as you can go. it is a [strike]M[/strike] MOPRG.

Secondely even being massively or multiplayer means only you are playing together in high number. it does not imply and should never enforce guilding on you.
    edited June 2013
    The reality of the situation is this is an optional, guild based "super-quest". I am not surprised some didnt like it, but I promise you some will. This gives guilds a chance to participate in some friendly competitive PvE (and grrrr PvP) in a mostly PvE quest format.

Noone is forcing you to run the content or to join a guild. If you are adamant in not joining a guild, then this quest is not for you.

I do believe keeping this particular quest guild only, is awesome.

Again, if you want to play major league baseball, you cant play a game by yourself, you must be part of an organized team. You cant just man the field or require the NY Yankees to hire you. That's all they are doing here with Gauntlgrym. Heck at least here, if you want to play so badly you can form a guild yourself that perhaps specializes in GG.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited June 2013
    I find that funny you all mention that, because the biggest instance hold , what, 160 player ? That's protector enclave. The other instance (levelling one) I saw maybe 30 to 40 players.

instanced game are as far away as "massively" as you can go. it is a [strike]M[/strike] MOPRG.

Secondely even being massively or multiplayer means only you are playing together in high number. it does not imply and should never enforce guilding on you.

Malarkey. it's an MMORPG. There isnt just one instance, there are many many many instances. Noone is forcing you to run this quest. It is your option to play it. Yes, you need to meet the pre-reqs.

• neyph69neyph69 Banned Users Posts: 150 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    MMOs end game events designed for guilds only and not solo players? OH EM GEE! This must be the first game in a decade to do that!

Can you name another game that REQUIRED a guildtag to enter a specific dungeon? Cause i cant.
    edited June 2013
    Malarkey. it's an MMORPG. There isnt just one instance, there are many many many instances. Noone is forcing you to run this quest. It is your option to play it. Yes, you need to meet the pre-reqs.

And a sizeable portion of the populace objects to pre-req of having to join a guild. You can't qualify the term MMO in this game as levels 1 -60 are generally soloed. Regardless, it's a failed mechanic and it would serve Cryptic to wisely never introduce this mechanic again. Watch.
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    Players are generally offering their feedback regarding this new content. Debasing them seems counter-intuitive to your title. It's a poor mechanic. That's not whining, that's my opinion and the opinion of the majority so far. There are not hundreds of quests at end-game that offering item progression, that's simply a meaningless retort. This is a really poor showing from you

I love reading solid feedback. However there's a lot of whining in this thread, that's just the reality of it. The quest is not even two days old. This thread could easily have been closed down, or edited down, and probably will have to be.

Also complaining there arent HUNDREDS of quests at "end game" on the day after launch is just unrealistic as it gets. There's more to a game then post level 60 content. We are lucky there IS something to do after 60 after just 2 months after closed beta. It's amazing epics are even in the game in year one, none the less at launch! It's going to take time to add content.

• grembler1grembler1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know you dont care about my opinion but here it is. I played for last 3 months. Lvled 1 60 and 1 50 and 2 lower than 30. Dumped 200 bucks so far. I am a casual player who was trying to get the rest of my guild - that Ive gamed with off and on for 14 years - to come. Things change over 14 years - I dont have the time for long sits at a time - thus no need for a guild. As for end gaming - Dungeons - 60 min average wait - run out of time and had to log. Foundry played several dozen between main and alts - why repeat. Zones - no reason to play. Therefore Gaunt was what I was looking for to make added content. No guild no play. Therefore lvl 60 retired. I am not buying more char slots so when the 50 is 60 - no reason to replay and relevel and repeat same same zones and quests.

So thats the grip i see replayed in this thread. You got my 200 bucks - I equate that to 60 box price and 9 months of paid play time. No big deal. My guild is not coming over based on my review so I will jion them in the NBT
    edited June 2013
    I love reading solid feedback. However there's a lot of whining in this thread, that's just the reality of it. The quest is not even two days old. This thread could easily have been closed down, or edited down, and probably will have to be.

Also complaining there arent HUNDREDS of quests at "end game" on the day after launch is just unrealistic as it gets. There's more to a game then post level 60 content. We are lucky there IS something to do after 60 after just 2 months after closed beta. It's amazing epics are even in the game in year one, none the less at launch! It's going to take time to add content.

Again, read the entirety of what people are posting, nobody suggested that there should be hundreds of quests at end game, that's simply absurd (Note, I was referring to your statement regarding hundreds of quests at end game and pointing out that those hundreds of quests do not offer item progression, RIF). You mean two months of open beta, right? Customers are never "lucky" that they get to do something. That's a pretty amusing concept though.
    edited June 2013
    grembler1 wrote: »
    I know you dont care about my opinion but here it is. I played for last 3 months. Lvled 1 60 and 1 50 and 2 lower than 30. Dumped 200 bucks so far. I am a casual player who was trying to get the rest of my guild - that Ive gamed with off and on for 14 years - to come. Things change over 14 years - I dont have the time for long sits at a time - thus no need for a guild. As for end gaming - Dungeons - 60 min average wait - run out of time and had to log. Foundry played several dozen between main and alts - why repeat. Zones - no reason to play. Therefore Gaunt was what I was looking for to make added content. No guild no play. Therefore lvl 60 retired. I am not buying more char slots so when the 50 is 60 - no reason to replay and relevel and repeat same same zones and quests.

So thats the grip i see replayed in this thread. You got my 200 bucks - I equate that to 60 box price and 9 months of paid play time. No big deal. My guild is not coming over based on my review so I will jion them in the NBT

Of course I care about your opinion Grembler. Very much so in fact. Our guild is a casual one. No requirements when or how often to log on. Most are over 40 years of age and have lives outside of gaming, families, jobs, and such.

It sounds like you have a problem with the queue system. So do we. It's something I believe will be improved greatly upon based on feedback such as yours.

Unfortunately GG isnt being offered when we want to run but when Cryptic opens the window of opportunity. That is a very limiting factor I'd like to see changed.

As for your review of the game, and your efforts to explore bringing your guild over, I'd be interested hearing more. Can you shoot me a PM perhaps?

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really don't like PvP, and I am absolutely not a fan of anything requiring a large group. Many people in my guild are interested in those things - only to become disappointed when they realized that the whole effort of coordinating and training a 20-man team was kind-of wasted.

Fortunately for me, the Faywild expansion seems much more to my liking with promising solo content, and the Alchemy profession is just great, so I have pretty high hopes.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited June 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    I really don't like PvP, and I am absolutely not a fan of anything requiring a large group. Many people in my guild are interested in those things - only to become disappointed when they realized that the whole effort of coordinating and training a 20-man team was kind-of wasted.

Fortunately for me, the Faywild expansion seems much more to my liking with promising solo content, and the Alchemy profession is just great, so I have pretty high hopes.

I can understand that. I can't stand PvP, but still find GG an interesting concept and fun for my guildies that are interested. Just had a guildie today tell me they normally hate PvP but considered this adaptation fun. Cool for some, not for all.

I too am looking forward to Faywild!

• dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Last edited by aandrethegiant; Today at 08:23 AM. Reason: If you want to voice your opinion, you cannot use profanity.

Aandre - stop abusing your power. Just because you got your mod rights you now think it's your right to not allow others to post their opinions?
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Last edited by aandrethegiant; Today at 08:23 AM. Reason: If you want to voice your opinion, you cannot use profanity.

Aandre - stop abusing your power. Just because you got your mod rights you now think it's your right to not allow others to post their opinions?

Did you even read why the post was altered?
    edited June 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Aandre,

You normally seem pretty rational and a good mod.... The new "20 vs 20" PvPvE content is pile of garbage. Designing 2 phases that you MUST participate in to qualify for the 3rd phase at a very low chance to get a T2 drop & a guaranteed handful of tokens is ridiculous and waste of time.

As I posted in another thread, it should have been a 20v20 battleground PvPvE environment not some BS like what warhammer did with their raid vs raid content. These mutli-phase systems don't work because players refuse to play certain aspects or have to leave during the event. This creates major issues and prevents players from completing the event.

Examples:
    My guild mates experience last night:
    Phase 1 - PvE - Everyone queued in groups or solo and completed phase 1
    Phase 2 - PvP - Majority of guild could not enter phase 2 because players in the (20) man queue would decline entry. They waited for 30 minutes to have every queue pop fail because at a minimum 1 player out of 20 would decline.
    Phase 3 - PvE 5 man Dungeon - Of the 1 group of 5 that managed to get into phase 2 was able to participate in phase 3 T2 Dungeon. But 2 of their members had to leave because it was to late their timezone to complete the event.
    They queued into the T2 Dungeon to get a Rogue with gear scores of 7200 In a T2 Raid!

All this player did the entire dungeon was run around and pretty much AFK. When they got to the boss the Rogue continued to just run around and dance while the team wiped. The 2nd pug player left the party and gave up while my guild mates tried to 3 man the boss to eventually give up.

After about 2 hours of game play thru the event got nothing but a bill for HP Pots & Kits.

Good points here. I think the phases are workable. It will take time to learn the system and find out what works best. In time I see it working just fine once everyone in the group understands what to do.

I do firmly believe the PvP phase should be purely optional for each player, since many that PvE only in this game have little desire in the PvP portion (but may have guildies on the team that are more than happy to do the PvP phase). A side bennie of course is this allows a PvP only player to acquire T2 gear.

I think Cryptic needs to be more clear exactly what is involved in GG. Confusion was paramount and really shouldn't have been.

• azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Now you threaten to close the thread, or edit it when you meet resistance.

In all honesty, that is probably what he should just do.
    He's made it very clear that it doesn't matter how many people are unhappy with it, they are all whiners and they should just deal with it.
    The only thing that will come of this is him repeatedly showing up and going "It's a GUILD thing losers, suck it up!" and make comparrisons to professional sports.
    Ironically, the only "Guild" thing about this whole thing is that you HAVE to be in one, you don't even DO it with your guild - it's not some kind of Guild vs Guild thing as he keeps trying to drive home, from what I've gathered at best 25% of the people on your team will actually BE guildies to begin with - the rest is entirely up to random luck.

The only thing the requirement is for is for herding people into guilds, it serves no other purpose whatsoever - in the past I've had no issues whatsoever with passing up "Guild" activities such as hardcore raiding, which requires a lot of dedication and time - this thing is nothing like it, once again; there is no reason whatsoever for the requirement except pushing players into guilds when they don't want to be in any.
    Make it an actual Guild vs Guild thing if you think that's really what it should be and I'll gladly shut up, but don't pretend the current "requirement" actually means anything.
    Artificer.jpg
    edited June 2013
    azahron wrote: »
    in the past I've had no issues whatsoever with passing up "Guild" activities such as hardcore raiding, which requires a lot of dedication and time - this thing is nothing like it

Read what you just wrote. This is one of the biggest reasons so many have been excited to try it. It is similar to raiding, except its a change of pace from the raid grind-hardcore feel available in so many other mmos.

It involves communication, and a lot of it. This is the reason I absolutely expected some in the community to have problems with.

Its ok not to like the content, but its not ok to attack others for liking it.

edited June 2013
    Thank you to those who have offered good solid feedback and constructive criticism. Unfortunately this thread has veered way off course and will need to be closed.

While opinions are valued on the forums, please remember to respect each other and have discussions and not arguments. If you find yourself disagreeing with another member, think first and then calmly compose your words. Treat each other how you would like to be treated.

This discussion has been closed.